• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

My god I fucking hate this shit, damn it.
This game is awesome but apparently I killed someone. I'm doing a no kill/ ghost playthrough.
This is crap. I went back to see where the dead guy was and I found him. He wasn't dead five minutes ago but the game just decided to kill him.

Great, awesome. My last save was three hours ago, I'm quick saving for the most time.

You can't even replay this mission. Fuck man!
Well, time to go nuts and kill I guess.

yep, I was attempting a no-kill playthrough and had something similar happen. Fuck that shit. Its not fun to keep checking your stats screen every 5 minutes to make sure that somebody you knocked out an hour ago hasnt been killed by some random BS.

Looking forward to loading up levels with mission select on a NG+++ file with everything unlocked and then cranking those difficulty sliders all the way up.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Dishonoured focuses on revenge.
The economy of Dishonoured's world is based around whaling.
The most famous revenge story ever told is Moby Dick.

I can't believe I didn't make this connection before.

Hale-XF11

Currently on my third NG+ playthrough. I have almost 200 runes now. I think I've pretty much milked this game as much as I can.

The update has been released on Steam beta now, for those playing it on PC

Console players obviously have to wait till Monday next week

Anno

The bug fix section of the patch notes just kept going and going. For all its performance issues at launch I never really found the game to be that buggy.

Btw, the missions sections is greyed out (Even if you have completed the game in the three save slots), so its advisable to make a new/NG+ run if you wanna use Mission Select. Though they did say that when they gave details about mission select:
Once you download Game Update 2, you'll also be able to replay any mission you unlock after the update is installed

Also, you can restart the mission from the pause menu.

There's screenshots showing the custom difficulty options:
https://imgur.com/a/Fv8np#BnVlBgp

Btw, the missions sections is greyed out (Even if you have completed the game in the three save slots), so its advisable to make a new/NG+ run if you wanna use Mission Select. Though they did say that when they gave details about mission select:

Also, you can restart the mission from the pause menu.

There's screenshots showing the custom difficulty options:
https://imgur.com/a/Fv8np#BnVlBgp

Is Iron Mode toggled by the Save Model option?

Started my first Iron Mode and going for Low Chaos Corvo. Already had an interesting experience courtesy of Iron Mode that I didn't expect. I messed up my stealth on the first mission and got surrounded by enemies. Managed to slide tackle a bunch of them, but with no real equipment yet it quickly became clear that my only option was to kill a couple of them or be killed. A expect a Low Chaos Iron Mode run will yield all sorts of interesting situations like that, where you have to choose to kill in order to survive.

It also makes every encounter that much more intense, since you know you can't save scum and you know your playthrough could be over in a second.

Dartastic

I want to enjoy this game, but I'm having genuine difficulties. I'm trying to play it as stealthily as possible as killing people apparently leads to a worse ending, but whenever I get seen I have a really hard time either escaping or knocking dudes out. I feel like my only real choice once I get found is to engage in combat, which means killing people. This is my first playthrough and I'm in chapter 4. Anyone have any advice?

I want to enjoy this game, but I'm having genuine difficulties. I'm trying to play it as stealthily as possible as killing people apparently leads to a worse ending, but whenever I get seen I have a really hard time either escaping or knocking dudes out. I feel like my only real choice once I get found is to engage in combat, which means killing people. This is my first playthrough and I'm in chapter 4. Anyone have any advice?

-You can parry an attack right into a knockout submission hold

-Pulse mines, or shock mines are your friend. Try to find the upgrades for them and they can put down pretty good sized groups non-lethally.

- Buy all the sleep darts you can, or the Howler darts

-Save a lot, might want to just try reloading if you really botch an area that you could do more stealthily at.

Dartastic

-You can parry an attack right into a knockout submission hold

-Pulse mines, or shock mines are your friend. Try to find the upgrades for them and they can put down pretty good sized groups non-lethally.

- Buy all the sleep darts you can, or the Howler darts

-Save a lot, might want to just try reloading if you really botch an area that you could do more stealthily at.
What's the timing on the parry? I can't seem to get it. it's really frustrating.

Made it all the way to Mission 4 on Iron Mode but then accidentally got squished by the elevator when going to meet Jindosh. =\

Ah well. Time to load up a NG+++ save with all abilities unlocked and crank up the difficulty sliders.

I bought the game on Black Friday and tried it yesterday for the first time. I got a PS4 copy and the low FOV is absolutely killing me. I knew it won't be comparable with playing the game on a decent PC but I can't seem to get anything done decently because of that. Maybe I'm just bad or am missing something but I always feel like I'm not in control of what's happening.

I didn't have problems with Doom (Im pretty sure it had a FOV slider on PS4), Wolfenstein or Alien Isolation but I can't seem to handle it here :(

I decided to pass it onto somone else in the BST thread...

TheRed

Just popping in here to say I'm loving the game. I bought it for PC during that $20 deal.

The environments are amazingly detailed. I am way more into the world than I ever was in the first game.
I think the graphics look really really good I just used sweetfx to make the colors slightly less drab. I get 60 fps everywhere at 1440p Ultra except for in big open outdoor areas it'll drop to around 45 but that hasn't bothered me.

I'm on mission 7 now and can't wait to dig in more and to also do another playthrough. I don't usually do that and never felt the desire to with the first game. This one I really want to. It's really feeling like a classic to me, if it keeps being great from here on to the end.

Just finished the game for the first time and absolutely loved it (
Emily, low chaos ending, all non-lethal targets
).

In checking out YouTube videos of the other endings, I came across Mori Koswell's 3 epic kills videos, which I'm assuming have been posted in here months ago (and marvelled over).

I consider myself to be reasonably good at games, but holy shit, those videos make me feel like a five year old in a nuclear physics lecture.

Just finished the game for the first time and absolutely loved it (
Emily, low chaos ending, all non-lethal targets
).

In checking out YouTube videos of the other endings, I came across Mori Koswell's 3 epic kills videos, which I'm assuming have been posted in here months ago (and marvelled over).

I consider myself to be reasonably good at games, but holy shit, those videos make me feel like a five year old in a nuclear physics lecture.

StealthGamerBR is still the best, but I'm glad Dishonored 2 brought up a new breed of professional players on Youtube like Mori Koswell and Hasnotalent. :D

Philia

Uh oh, I've left unconscious bodies near a certain dumpster that had bloodflies. Thing is, I didn't open it! Something... or someone did!

LOL I think I see who it was that opened it... an Elite guard, a first I've seen. Anyway, does they count as a kill? I'm trying to do a nonlethal run (and failing).

illusionary

Uh oh, I've left unconscious bodies near a certain dumpster that had bloodflies. Thing is, I didn't open it! Something... or someone did!

LOL I think I see who it was that opened it... an Elite guard, a first I've seen. Anyway, does they count as a kill? I'm trying to do a nonlethal run (and failing).

Probably yes - you can check in-game in the stats page.

I forgot to ask: just before I completed the game I added the enhancement that slows down time if you get spotted. I got spotted by a single witch at very close range, Slomo was triggered, and I shot her in the face (in slomo) with a sleep dart.

Witch just exploded.

Is that some weird feature of the slomo that I wasn't aware of (and isn't mentioned)? I was on a low chaos run so had absolutely no lethal enhancements or bonecharms.

Alandrus

Banned
I'm late to beating this game. I got it for my brother's birthday and boy do I regret not buying Titanfall 2 for him instead. This game is fucking horrible if you're playing it stealth.
I play my stealth games as ghost. That means I try to do no non-lethal takedowns or nothing. I do perfect stealth- in and out without being caught or touching anyone. I did this on normal. Now some quick bullet points:

• The AI is some of the worse I've seen since Oblivion and Fallout 3.
  • The game is about playing how you want but the "good" ending is nonlethal
  • For a game that wants you to stealth: every power and bone charm i can find is about fighting.
  • Emily's Far Reach is as unpredictable and will constantly get you killed.
  • - It either pulls you to a spot or acts like a sling
  • - Sometimes it arcs low, sometimes high
  • Emily is a horrible character with no arc.
  • The "nonlethal" executions are worse than death and straight amoral.
  • -Trapping your aunt in a fantasy world for an eternity
  • - Giving a genius a lobotomy (A man whose figured out AI)
  • - Stealing a man's identity so he could be a political puppet
  • - Locking a man in your safe room for weeks until he was turned to stone
  • - etc
As a stealth game this is disappointing. People like Stealthgamerbr and Volound seem to have the better idea to play the game. The moto of "Fuck Stealth" in this stealth game. This game gives zero incentive to stealth properly. There's no bonus runes at the end screen or even an achievement for each section. I've only found a scarce amount of charms that actually helped and looking at the wiki there wasn't much I was missing. How about a silent sprint or extended range on Far Reach?
The AI is also brain dead. I throw a bottle and they all run around the spot it was thrown like alcoholics. But, when I throw a grenade to distract: They become startled by the explosion then just stand there for a moment before going back to their duties because explosions are normal. Sometimes they were comical as my distractions would have them walking into their own booby-traps and I'd have to reload after a laugh. While other times, I'd be having my immersion broken as a guard detected me on the other side of a door in Time Travel Manor. He couldn't open it and just threw rocks against a locked door. Shouldn't he have the keys? Meanwhile, the civilians and servants have no chill and detect you instantly unlike the guards.
As for the story, It's hard to tell what went wrong. It's like the "writers" (It's hard to believe anyone actually wrote this) never asked why or how. I've rooted for the downfall of Emily the whole time. When you arrive in a mission and her reaction is "This place is shit." I cant feel any empathy towards her situation because she was in charge of it for 15 years as Empress with whatever group Corvo built for her to rule with. And when she says she will make things better I only wonder how. Throughout the entire game I didn't hear a platform or an agenda. She wasn't building relationships and making alliances like a leader. She wasn't making deals. Just "I'm gonna kill these bitches." So, she deserves to be dethroned. Poking any logic at her rule or decision to take the throne back or method to take the throne back doesn't even feel fair. It's as thin as the premise of the story. Emily doesn't grow as a character. She doesn't gain a new perspective to rule or a new will to rule. She is everything wrong with a monarchy. She gets the throne because she feels it's her right even though she is the bastard child of her mother and her bodyguard. Which makes me wonder who the fuck did they think her father was originally?
With regards to Gameplay, this game reminded a bit of Titanfall 2 with the level progression and some of the gimmicks but while Titanfall 2 had you zipping through levels and switching you from platforming to gunplay then to mech suit before you could get bored of either. Dishonored 2 had the gimmicky levels but little diversity in the game play. All while having me scratch my head as I realized the developers never imagined I would jump through the ceiling of the clockwork manor leaving me trapped or believing I wouldn't try to jump off the side of a building for a daring escape as my Far Reach hit invisible walls nor did the anticipate me
shooting all of Delilah's replicates before the fight
then the game glitched and I had to make sure to get caught first.

I will try a second playthrough as a brutal "kill everyone" Corvo to see if that makes it any better. But for a straight stealth game this is piss poor.

The AI is a real hardass in higher difficulties (They can even spot you while leaning or if you are above them). And I find it ridiculous that you say that it's only possible to get low chaos ending as non-lethal since you can eliminate a number of people in each mission and still get low chaos.

As for non-lethal eliminations. Well, it's not like the people you are eliminating are nice people and responsible for the coup, so why feel sorry for them? And you say every power is about fighting? Domino? Mesmerize? Shadow Walk? Give me a fucking break. And have you forgotten that you can use The Heart to locate runes and bonecharms?

To keep it short, a lot of your criticisms are bordering on hyperbole or not confirming to reality. Game is amazing playing stealthily or lethally or both. It's not one way or the other.

Radogol

My advice would be not to worry about killing so much. If you only kill hostiles and avoid at least some of them, you can still get low chaos. The game is not as strict in this regard as people usually fear.

In addition, the ending you get mostly depends on how you choose to deal with the main targets. Chaos just changes the flavor a little bit.

I bet the amount of time that went into making clockwork mansion was insane..

I would love to see a behind the scenes vid on the process of that.

I bet the amount of time that went into making clockwork mansion was insane..

I would love to see a behind the scenes vid on the process of that.

A Crack in The Slab is even more impressive.

Hell, the art direction is very amazing. I'd like to give a big hug to Arkane's art team for crafting such a beautiful world

Clockwork Mansion and Crack in the Slab so far have been my least favorite levels....

Don't know why people have problems with the Clockwork Mansion and Crack in the Slab. Its not like they're overly hard to finish.

Clockwork Soldiers are easy as piss to kill them with an upgraded Stun Mine.

Anyways, the mission select/custom difficulty update should be up now for console players

I'm late to beating this game. I got it for my brother's birthday and boy do I regret not buying Titanfall 2 for him instead. This game is fucking horrible if you're playing it stealth.
I play my stealth games as ghost. That means I try to do no non-lethal takedowns or nothing. I do perfect stealth- in and out without being caught or touching anyone. I did this on normal. Now some quick bullet points:

• The AI is some of the worse I've seen since Oblivion and Fallout 3.
  • The game is about playing how you want but the "good" ending is nonlethal
  • For a game that wants you to stealth: every power and bone charm i can find is about fighting.
  • Emily's Far Reach is as unpredictable and will constantly get you killed.
  • - It either pulls you to a spot or acts like a sling
  • - Sometimes it arcs low, sometimes high
  • Emily is a horrible character with no arc.
  • The "nonlethal" executions are worse than death and straight amoral.
  • -Trapping your aunt in a fantasy world for an eternity
  • - Giving a genius a lobotomy (A man whose figured out AI)
  • - Stealing a man's identity so he could be a political puppet
  • - Locking a man in your safe room for weeks until he was turned to stone
  • - etc
As a stealth game this is disappointing. People like Stealthgamerbr and Volound seem to have the better idea to play the game. The moto of "Fuck Stealth" in this stealth game. This game gives zero incentive to stealth properly. There's no bonus runes at the end screen or even an achievement for each section. I've only found a scarce amount of charms that actually helped and looking at the wiki there wasn't much I was missing. How about a silent sprint or extended range on Far Reach?
The AI is also brain dead. I throw a bottle and they all run around the spot it was thrown like alcoholics. But, when I throw a grenade to distract: They become startled by the explosion then just stand there for a moment before going back to their duties because explosions are normal. Sometimes they were comical as my distractions would have them walking into their own booby-traps and I'd have to reload after a laugh. While other times, I'd be having my immersion broken as a guard detected me on the other side of a door in Time Travel Manor. He couldn't open it and just threw rocks against a locked door. Shouldn't he have the keys? Meanwhile, the civilians and servants have no chill and detect you instantly unlike the guards.
As for the story, It's hard to tell what went wrong. It's like the "writers" (It's hard to believe anyone actually wrote this) never asked why or how. I've rooted for the downfall of Emily the whole time. When you arrive in a mission and her reaction is "This place is shit." I cant feel any empathy towards her situation because she was in charge of it for 15 years as Empress with whatever group Corvo built for her to rule with. And when she says she will make things better I only wonder how. Throughout the entire game I didn't hear a platform or an agenda. She wasn't building relationships and making alliances like a leader. She wasn't making deals. Just "I'm gonna kill these bitches." So, she deserves to be dethroned. Poking any logic at her rule or decision to take the throne back or method to take the throne back doesn't even feel fair. It's as thin as the premise of the story. Emily doesn't grow as a character. She doesn't gain a new perspective to rule or a new will to rule. She is everything wrong with a monarchy. She gets the throne because she feels it's her right even though she is the bastard child of her mother and her bodyguard. Which makes me wonder who the fuck did they think her father was originally?
With regards to Gameplay, this game reminded a bit of Titanfall 2 with the level progression and some of the gimmicks but while Titanfall 2 had you zipping through levels and switching you from platforming to gunplay then to mech suit before you could get bored of either. Dishonored 2 had the gimmicky levels but little diversity in the game play. All while having me scratch my head as I realized the developers never imagined I would jump through the ceiling of the clockwork manor leaving me trapped or believing I wouldn't try to jump off the side of a building for a daring escape as my Far Reach hit invisible walls nor did the anticipate me
shooting all of Delilah's replicates before the fight
then the game glitched and I had to make sure to get caught first.

I will try a second playthrough as a brutal "kill everyone" Corvo to see if that makes it any better. But for a straight stealth game this is piss poor.

Hmm, odd, I didn't really experience any of this and I played with Emily 3 times (though 1 time had no powers).

My first run was no kill, didn't care if people saw me. My 3rd run was perfect stealth.

Off the top of my head, really useful bonecharms for stealth are: making less noise, faster movement, faster movement while carrying bodies, not using mana for powers / faster mana regen, and faster knock out. Faster knock out takes the choke hold down to less than a second which is super useful. Game is a pleasure to play. edit: The less than a second is if you craft a bonecharm with 4x stregnth.

Bonecharm Crafting is really a huge boon for those using bonecharms (Especially with the upgrade that allows you to use the same trait in case you wanna craft a bonecharm with 4 traits)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Im on Chapter 4 and stil on low chaos despite killing many guards when I got caught.

Level design and environment detail is best of the class.

Boencharms add a whole new layer of customization to abilities. I found a bone charm which makes Emily invisible while teleporting and another which enables health regeneration while using Dark Vision.

I was a huge fan of Dishonored and this one has improved so much. Exploring Addermire Institute was a joy, unlocking all the shortcuts and at the end being able to freely run from the beginning to end once everything was unlocked.

Theres so much lore and world building here its insane and the quality of the writing is very believable. For some reason I feel this game could be a lot more popular, especially among Souls fans.

The level design continues to amaze and I judt got to Clockwork Mansion!

Spoiler for clockwork.

On a way to beat it:
Getting the trophy/achievement for beating the mansion without Jindosh even knowing you're there is such a small thing but also oh so freaking cool.

SJRB

Spoiler for clockwork.

On a way to beat it:
Getting the trophy/achievement for beating the mansion without Jindosh even knowing you're there is such a small thing but also oh so freaking cool.

If this wasn't a trophy I never would've figured this out in a million years.

Amazing game design. Dishonored 2 should've won WAY more GOTY awards.

Top Bottom