• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Diablo 4 look too colorless?

Does Diablo 4 look too colorless?

• Total voters

Spyxos

I'm looking forward to Diablo 4, but the more I see of it, the more I miss colors. Yes it looks great but after the Diablo 3 criticism about too much color, didn't the developers overdo it and kill almost all the colors? Even Diablo 2 looked more vivid to me.

See you in Sanctuary.

960x0.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Diablo 4 looks like Diablo 3 without cartoon filter.

And sadly just as boring gameplay wise from the looks of it.

It looks uninspired in nearly everything. Wont blame the crew behind because its their first hack and slash but it shows. Dead ass just play Grim Dawn
Wait is it a new team behind Diablo 4?

Last edited:

Robb

It does look a bit bland imo, I wouldn’t mind more color. Still looks pretty great though.

Last edited:
They're clearly going for a more mature/ gritty tone with the art. It's deliberate. But I wouldn't say it's inherently bad just because it's got less color, it's just a difference in tone compared to 3. I think it looks good, personally.

Sygma

Diablo 4 looks like Diablo 3 without cartoon filter.

And sadly just as boring gameplay wise from the looks of it.

Wait is it a new team behind Diablo 4?

Actually it had a new game director first which got replaced by the guy who did Reaper of Souls, so my bad

But yeah getting Diablo IV and doing this, lol. Saying this as someone who literally grew up with the franchise and played all of them to death. Diablo 3 made the franchise more akin to nowadays audience and this one has an always connected world going for it with an already fubared itemisation, in lands that we already played in D2 and D3. I expected much more than going again in a desert / in the mountains / in a swamp. And its fine to skip it either way

Even the classes got nothing interesting going for them. The genre evolved quite a bit with PoE / Grim Dawn and its just "more diablo but online"

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I don't know about the colors, but every preview I've seen leaves me completely unimpressed with the visual presentation as a whole. It just seems so bland for what should be a genre defining game.

I built a new PC for Diablo III way back when (lol) - I'm a huge Diablo and Diablo II fan. But I didn't like almost anything about that game.. I somewhat wrote the series off and assumed it will never be the same again. I haven't really given Diablo IV the time of day. It would be cool if it was Diablo again. I took a quick look, I don't have any problem with the palette, solid.

Sygma

LoD absolutely made it better (like most pre WoW Blizzard expansions), but the base game was not shit.

When even reviews back then trashed it in favor of Nox, you know it was kind of bad (then again Nox was kinda awesome, im just talking about the discrepancy in perception after Diablo 1 which was amazing from the get go). Hell even Throne of Darkness was better than vanilla D2 easily. Locked low resolution, awful itemization and so on and so forth. It was pretty pretty bad

also

because why not

Last edited:

Saber

Too dark

D2 has the perfect combination of grittiness and colors

Yeah, totally agree.
And with D3 was a mix of things, the art itself looks generic and way less terror like. Actually, D3 was a generic game overall, I gave up as soon as I beat the Butcher.

D2 is probably umbeatable at this point mainly because of the people behind it.

No. So people complained about diablo 3 being too colorful and now diablo 4 looks too colorless?
There's a huge difference between having colors that are way too bright, and having entire levels that are built from ONE color. Diablo 4 takes the color criticisms of 3 WAY too far in the opposite direction, IMO.

I might not even buy the game because I hate the art direction so much. I'll give the beta a chance and see if it really is as bad as it seems, but it's not looking good to me. I thought we left this "gritty" only browns and grays crap back in the early 2000s where it belongs.

Diablo 2 has one of the most brutal and gritty world ever conceived in videogame history. Has a more colorful palette than a fucking Nintendo game.

Elder Legend

Yoir Aee Member
Looks like its targeting old diablo fans, which are 40+ year old pc players
Or maybe it's targeting what both newcomers and the veterans that have been asking for a very long time now. Ever thought about that one?

Sanctuary has always been a very dark and gritty place. This has nothing to do with targeting old or new players. It only makes senses for to be very grotesque, bloody, dark, grim and gory.

Last edited:

TexMex

When even reviews back then trashed it in favor of Nox, you know it was kind of bad (then again Nox was kinda awesome, im just talking about the discrepancy in perception after Diablo 1 which was amazing from the get go). Hell even Throne of Darkness was better than vanilla D2 easily. Locked low resolution, awful itemization and so on and so forth. It was pretty pretty bad

also

because why not

Nox was awesome. Forgot I owned it, haven’t thought about it in ages.

But I definitely don’t remember Diablo 2 launching to anything but glowing reviews. Definitely wasn’t trashed, even if only in comparison to another game.

SJRB

I think it looks great actually. Didn’t people complain about D3 being too colorful? Lol

It’s like that Miyamoto Windwaker meme.
d92.jpg

Exactly this.

D3 releases: "this shit is too colorful"
D4 about to release: "this shit is too drab"

uploads1599758668584-Confused2.png

Or maybe it's targeting what both newcomers and the vegans have been asking for a very long time now. Sanctuary has always been a very dark and gritty place. This has nothing to do with targeting old or new players. It only makes senses for to be very grotesque, bloody, dark, grim and gory.
We have to appease the vegans now too?? This is getting out of hand.

Antwix

I'm looking forward to Diablo 4, but the more I see of it, the more I miss colors. Yes it looks great but after the Diablo 3 criticism about too much color, didn't the developers overdo it and kill almost all the colors? Even Diablo 2 looked more vivid to me.

See you in Sanctuary.

960x0.jpg

The area at 1:37 in the youtube video looks pretty colorful....

Have they confirmed that this is all the areas? I imagine they have a final area/zone for the end of the game. Regardless though, it looks a hell of a lot better than d3.

GametimeUK

Not every game needs a bright and vibrant colours. So many popular and mainstream games have wacky, high contrast in your face colours that it kind of makes me miss the shitty browns and depressing greys of 2006.

Top Bottom