• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Diablo 4 look too colorless?

Does Diablo 4 look too colorless?

• Total voters

Barakov

I think it looks great actually. Didn’t people complain about D3 being too colorful? Lol

It’s like that Miyamoto Windwaker meme.
d92.jpg
Pretty crazy how we went from Diablo III is too colorful in 2012 to Diablo IV is not colorful enough in 2023.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't mind the look, I like the art direction more than D3 overall.
Though I do think it would look better if they increased the contrasts and saturation on stuff like spells and fire. I think it's the dark places + washed out magic and fire which make it look a bit too dark.

T4keD0wN

I'm looking forward to Diablo 4, but the more I see of it, the more I miss colors. Yes it looks great but after the Diablo 3 criticism about too much color, didn't the developers overdo it and kill almost all the colors? Even Diablo 2 looked more vivid to me.
Have you heard of our lord and saviour, Crosire?
You can always just use Reshade or freestyle filters to make it more colorful if you dont like it the way it is. Its free.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Have you heard of our lord and saviour, Crosire?
You can always just use Reshade or freestyle filters to make it more colorful if you dont like it the way it is. Its free.
I have heard of it but never tried it. I don't even know exactly how it works. I do have a vague recollection of people being banned for using it.

ZehDon

No, I think they've used colours very intelligently.

Once you have four players going hard, the effects popping up fill the screen with a huge amount of colour. In Diablo III, its colours were so oversaturated that it became soup with two or three players one stuff started firing. With Diablo IV, the effects and such will still pop, but because of the muted palette, it'll stop the game from becoming entirely unreadable.

It's also just that much more fitting with the series. Diablo III's art style was pure trash, and abandoned the gothic horror element entirely, stepping towards the World of Warcraft comic book aesthetic. With Diablo IV, they've returned to the series' identity. I hope they've got quests and dialogue to match.

I have absolutely zero faith that the zombified husk of what used to be blizzard to actually put out a non shit, non predatory game. I loved diablo 2, and the color in 3 didnt bother me. The "story" did, though.

Filben

Am I the only thinking the hit feedback is kind of weak? They slash through enemies who barely register the hits and don't react to it or, if at all, very delayed. Hits don't really feel connected.

Fake

IDK if this have anything HDR related, but those gore satanic games are getting too much colorful to my taste. Doom Eternal is a hell of color game in comparison with his previous game.

They really need to start desaturation, maybe film grain a little?

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I have heard of it but never tried it. I don't even know exactly how it works. I do have a vague recollection of people being banned for using it.
Well freestyle is extremely easy to use and pretty much every major game has it even diablo 3 and other blizzard/activision games. You have to have an nvidia gpu and geforce experience installed and just turn on any game that supports it, press alt+f3 and play with sliders. I dont think its possible to get banned for freestyle by any sane company.

Reshade is a bit more complicated to setup and use, but still easy to use.

I dont think ive ever heard of anyone getting banned for it outside of tarkov i think, although i avoid pvp games. I can see it not being allowed in competitive multiplayer or tournaments. Youd probably have to report yourself :messenger_grinning: outside of that to be banned for it.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Well freestyle is extremely easy to use. You have to have an nvidia gpu and geforce experience installed and just turn on any game that supports it, press alt+f3 and play with sliders.
Reshade is a bit more complicated to setup and use, but still easy to use.

I dont think ive ever heard of anyone getting banned for it, but i avoid pvp games. I can see it not being allowed in competitive multiplayer or tournaments. Youd probably have to report yourself :messenger_grinning: outside of that to be banned for it.
Ha, then I already use it over geforce experience, but only sharpening. Which of the other effects are useful? I really have to try this reshade. The results look pretty damn good.

Phase

I actually wish it had a darker style (more horror like graphically). It's pretty damn good as is, but making it slightly more gritty and gory would be sweetness.

T4keD0wN

Ha, then I already use it over geforce experience, but only sharpening. Which of the other effects are useful? I really have to try this reshade. The results look pretty damn good.
I am not sure if theyre called exactly the same way as i dont use english version:

Exposition and contrast are very useful. You can adjust shadows which helps when game night-time is too dark or some locations are poorly visible. Highlights is great when the ligtning/skies are are too aggressive, it can help a lot with visibility as some bright effects can hide certain details.

Colors to adjust colors, duh.

Clarity is awesome, but one of the heavier.

Theres also a few "ray-tracing" ones.

Reshade has like hundreds different options, too many to tell (i use lightroom and prod80 shaders a lot). Good thing is you can inject it into almost every game and theres thousands of presets available (lot of them are pretty bad ngl, but you can adjust them yourself). It can make some games look very different, look at skyrim, witcher 3 or cyberpunk presets at nexusmods or official reshade site if you want to get an idea on what you can do with it.

My advice is to usually avoid the ones that mainly just massively increase the vibrance, unless thats what you want, it cool for some games. The best ones tend to be subtle and go for corrections.
Some shaders can eat up few % of performance, but the simpler ones that adjust colors and contrast, brightness have only a tiny impact.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

D4 has great art style with a properly desatured grim atmosphere. D3 was a cartoon shitty mess after the perfect tone of D2.
Can't wait for this sequel although I'm waiting for POE2 too.

Greirat

Pretty crazy how we went from Diablo III is too colorful in 2012 to Diablo IV is not colorful enough in 2023.
It's a case of misunderstanding feedback, or taking feedback too literally. People were upset that Diablo 3 was too cartoony in tone, but this was caused by many things, such as the exaggerated models and the Saturday morning cartoon villain voices. Just look at Diablo 1, it's full of color, but feels very grim and serious still. That's what people really want, and this explains the conflicting comments. I haven't seen too much of Diablo 4, but what I've seen still looks rather exaggerated and cartoony, with superhero body proportions and flashy special moves. I don't think the bland colors are achieving anything for them.

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022
I keep hearing this. D3 had color out the ass, and I thought one of the main complaints was that it was too cartoonish. D4 looks like middle ground between D2R and D3 - isn't this a good compromise to give those who liked one or the other something good to look at?

Saber

It's a case of misunderstanding feedback, or taking feedback too literally. People were upset that Diablo 3 was too cartoony in tone, but this was caused by many things, such as the exaggerated models and the Saturday morning cartoon villain voices. Just look at Diablo 1, it's full of color, but feels very grim and serious still. That's what people really want, and this explains the conflicting comments. I haven't seen too much of Diablo 4, but what I've seen still looks rather exaggerated and cartoony, with superhero body proportions and flashy special moves. I don't think the bland colors are achieving anything for them.

Yeah, it seems to be done on bad faith by both by Blizzard and some people around here making it look like the only problem Diablo 3 has is that its too colorful.
D3 has alot of problems, the color in contrast with its boring ugly goofy art being just a few of them. If the problem was just the color, then Diablo 2 wouldn't be the world acclaimed game it is.

Even in that one screenshot I see more than enough color. You are forgetting there will be other areas, not everything is inside a cave etc. BTW is this coming out to gamepass?

zeroluck

Neo Member
The problem with D3 art style was never about the colors but the painterly look, D3 is a 2D game designed to run on everything including phones, so far D4 is the same shit just with all the colors removed. D2 Resurrected looks 10 times better.

sachos

Not to me OP, maybe the issue is not color but contrast? I would like for dark places to trully look like darkness instead of some of the washed out looks it has in some of the scenes. Compare to D2R and the dungeons there look even darker. But it looks way better than D3, thats for sure, maybe the contrast with D3 is messing with your senses =P

What im really worried about is the itemization in D4, i really hope they don't mess it up but so far from what i've seen it looks way too similar to D3. They have the Godfather of ARPG itemization in D2 and they refuse to build upon it.

nkarafo

It doesn't look as detailed as other isometric games. Something like Divinity: Original Sin 2 has more complex looking and detailed environments.

Sanctuary

Based on what has been shown so far, I'd say it's absolutely dull palette wise. They wanted to go back to the "grimdark" look of Diablo 2, but even that game had a lot more color. The biggest problem being that it does what Bloodborne did in that entire areas just look like they are using the same exact texture, and everything looks like a huge can of paint was dumped on top of it. It's visually boring. I don't mind things being more muted, but at least make tiles, objects and background clutter stand out from one another instead of being the exact same shade of brown, gray or dark blue.

What's likely going to happen is that the "variety" will be based upon each region. So instead of there being an actual mix of colors, you'll have "the brown region", "the green region", "the beige region" etc. Zzzz...

Last edited:
It’s better now Diablo 3 looked like a cheap kiddo game this Typ of games must be dark dangerous serous like path of exile you must feel the difficulty in everything enemies atmosphere graphics combined with hardcore mode it’s amazing

Poppyseed

Diablo 2 is outdated as fuck. Diablo 3 is a much better experience overall. Minus the graphics, I'll give you that. Diablo 2 (resurrected) looks much more appealing to the eye. But other then that, I prefer Diablo 3.
No kidding. I mean I loved D2 when it first came out, but having to pick up arrows/bolts/potions/scrolls of town portal or identify? F that noise.

Top Bottom