• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Diablo 4 look too colorless?

Does Diablo 4 look too colorless?

• Total voters

Thirty7ven

Sony make cringe trainers.
It looks just as boring as every Diablo that came before. More color less color, same old boring game.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Upside Down Dog GIF

WHAT
From what I've seen -

Spend lots of time killing a few mobs.
Having passages where you just run and run and run and jump from cliff to cliff.

#NotMyDiablo

Philfrag

Banned
I understand I'm in the minority here but I really dislike the people that complain about about darkness in video games that are meant to have a specific atmosphere. I really couldn't stand the cartoony look of Diablo 3. I also really hate it when a game releases with a day/night cycle, people inevitably complain it's too dark then the devs fold and bump up the brightness so that night pretty much looks like day. It completely ruins the idea of a day/night cycle. If certain parts of a game has darkness implemented, its there to add contrast to other elements of the palette. Just like the contrast between day and night. There is also a contrast that matters between indoors and outdoors, safe and dangerous areas, good and evil aesthetics etc. Its the contrast between the two that matters when trying to create a sense of place. To put you in a world that has opposing forces. I like games that create different challenges depending on the environment, if visibility is one of those challenges then so be it. The darkness you've seen in these screen shots or footage isn't the whole game. It may make sense in the overall colour composition of the whole game, especially between different types of areas.

kondorBonk

It does look like a big step up in detail which with the art direction, seems like it could be wasted resources with the top down camera. If it runs like a dream, no problem there.

I do think there is less "communication" with a more realistic style. If the screen is packed with enemies with similar color palettes it might not be conveying well things like windups,enemy types, or or certain status effects. That would be my bigger concern but I couldn't really say for certain until trying it myself.

Spyxos

You werent around when Diablo 3 was released right?

People were complaining lef tand right that the game was too colorful.
I also saw Diablo 1 back in the day, but I don't have many memories of it. Diablo 2 I have played a lot. And I also heard the discussion about Diablo 3 at the time. Only it never bothered me.

somesang

Exactly this. It's always fun to see the "Let the developers execute their creative vision" vs "The fans know what they want" arguments. The too colorful noise around Diablo III quickly faded, just like this will.

Oh here we go....

First people complain that Diablo 3 is too cartoony and how Blizzard should go back to a dark gritty look like Diablo 2. Now they are doing that we have people crying they want colours?

I love how it looks and it doesn't need to change.

ljubomir

I'm old enough to remember Diablo 3 preview videos being criticized for being to coloful and cheery, pandering to WoW demographic :D.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
From what I've seen -

Spend lots of time killing a few mobs.
Having passages where you just run and run and run and jump from cliff to cliff.

#NotMyDiablo
We both damn well know you already preordered the most expensive version.
And will play it regardless.

Like d3

🤣

The Fartist

This looks fucking dope! Gonna have Burzum and Darkthrone playing in the background while playing this, but probably not because my wife will kick me out of the house.

zcaa0g

It should be completely pitch black and all you have is a torch to light your way and the immediate area that is lighted is very colorful. Happy now?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
We both damn well know you already preordered the most expensive version.
And will play it regardless.

Like d3

🤣

Not really.

I have Diablo 2 resurrected. That's enough for me.

Diablo 3 made me lose faith in the dev team.

I don't know about the colors, but every preview I've seen leaves me completely unimpressed with the visual presentation as a whole. It just seems so bland for what should be a genre defining game.
I don’t see the blandness, I guess. To me it looks to have it’s own style and tone, and it looks great to me 🤷‍♂️

I never got the hate for Diablo 3 and its graphics. I think the game looks just fine. I really didn't find it that colorful or cartoonish. But lots of people seem to have hated it for that reason.

The new Diablo 4 looks a bit too dark. As in it's too hard to see. But people want Diablo 4 to be like Warhammer 40,000 and grim dark.

Last edited:

Luipadre

I hope the PS5 version will be great. D2 resurrection was disappointing resolution wise in 60 fps mode. Hopefully this will be better. PC req seems pretty low

sendit

I never got the hate for Diablo 3 and its graphics. I think the game looks just fine. I really didn't find it that colorful or cartoonish. But lots of people seem to have hated it for that reason.

The new Diablo 4 looks a bit too dark. As in it's too hard to see. But people want Diablo 4 to be like Warhammer 40,000 and grim dark.
Homer Simpson Wow GIF by Justin

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I think the game looks great, its fitting for the world, i dont know about enemies or characters though, those seem to be the issue in most of Blizzard games, the environment is good enough.

Sygma

Haha yeah the complaining about Act 1 was something else entirely.

Thank god we got Airship Syndicate offering actually tasteful "comic book art" since a couple of years

DavidGzz

Sick Rogue gameplay. The colors are just fine. I hope arcane sentry looks better in the final build otherwise this looks so good.

NahaNago

Colors look a bit muted. I would have expected the enemies to have more pop when seen on screen but it seems they were going more for fitting the scenery. It looks fine.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

It looks too Diablo Immortal I'd say, season pass, skins and stuff, that's GaaS.

I hate to be that guy, but I think I'll pass this time, that said, I hope that everyone enjoys it for what it is.

Does look a little dull/muted but yeah I'm another who liked how D3 looked. I'm on the Torchlight rather than the POE side of things, looks-wise. But I think it'll end up looking fine in action.
Whimsyshire gonna be whack tho. :p

Top Bottom