• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Jeremy Parish undermine Ziff Davis' credibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul4ger

skip said:
actually, I was listening from the first post onward. I heard the following:

* jeremy undermines ZD's credibility.
* jeremy was assigned the game knowing that he'd trash it.
* jeremy wanted to hate the game before he even played it.
* jeremy requested to be on all three reviews so that he could hate it even more.
* jeremy reviewing a game across three publications should be re-evaluated.

only one of these is actually true.

Then you, sir, are a liar. Because if his reviewing three times didn't undermine your credibility, why re-evaluate?

Zenith

Banned
skip said:
2) I posted this in Justin's reviews thread, but it's worth mentioning here: ZD's publications are not entirely "separate." 1UP, EGM, CGW, OPM and GameVideos all work on the same floor, we write for each other, we share a lot of the same writers, we share a lot of ideas, we all appear on the 1UP Show and on each others' podcasts.

it's a concerted effort on the part of ZD to integrate print with online, hence "The 1UP Network."

but why is that a good thing? What's the point in buying any of the mags if it's just going to say the same thing as the 1UP site? The same writers and sources means seeing the same opinions and content. And having the same writers means we will see the same writing styles+formats throughout all the publications. That may not sound important but it gets old fast. Viva la difference...

Soul4ger

Zenith said:
but why is that a good thing? What's the point in buying any of the mags if it's just going to say the same thing as the 1UP site? The same writers and sources means seeing the same opinions and content. And having the same writers means we will see the same writing styles+formats throughout all the publications. That may not sound important but it gets old fast. Viva la difference...

SYNERGY! Haven't you ever seen "In Good Company?!" It's all about having Crispity-Crunch promotions in sports magazines!

skip

Zenith said:

aside from rare cases like this (GnG), it's not the same content -- it's the same subjects approached from different angles. shane on 1UPyours isn't always talking about the same stuff on EGM Live*. video content from a CGW cover story can't appear in the magazine, so we put it up on gamevideos. we can't fit a five-day cover story into EGM, so it goes on 1UP. the 1UP reviewer in EGM only gets 120 words, so there's a chance to expand upon that online. CGW comes out later than everyone else, so there's a chance to dive deeper into games that are already released. and even though we share writers, each magazine is retaining their unique styles and formats.

print and online have very different strengths and tools, this is how we're using them.

skip said:
now who's doing the lecturing? I know damn well what my responsibility is, which is why the first thing I did this morning was initiate the conversation with my bosses and the relevant editors and writers about what to do here.

Of course I'm lecturing you. I'm your potential customer, I get to lecture you however much I want :) . And if you want to be successful in business, you'd damn well better listen to me.

skip said:
agreed. and it can also be because there are lot of idiots on messageboards.

I'm not sure if you realize it, but this attitude is exactly what everyone is so pissed off about: Web site/magazine editors acting like they're above their audience. Again, the so-called "idiots on messageboards" are precisely the people to whom you're trying to sell magazines. Your post is trying to create some distinction between the "idiots" (who don't like ZD's reviews) and the non-idiots (who presumably do) and writing off the "idiot" group. But walling yourself off from large portions of your (potential) audience is hardly the way to sell magazines. OK, maybe doing so will appeal to the "non-idiot" group by flattering their intelligence and dubious taste in games, but you can only coast so long on smug superiority. Maybe you can take into considerations the "idiot" group as well.

And what makes them idiots, anyway, aside from the fact that you happen to have a printing press, whereas we decided to pursue careers that don't involve lathering ourselves in Doritos crumbs and rushing for the Nintendo booth every May? I've seen a lot of game impressions on GAF that are a lot more informative than most published game reviews.

skip said:
* jeremy undermines ZD's credibility.
* jeremy was assigned the game knowing that he'd trash it.
* jeremy wanted to hate the game before he even played it.
* jeremy requested to be on all three reviews so that he could hate it even more.
* jeremy reviewing a game across three publications should be re-evaluated.

only one of these is actually true.

I'll grant you that numbers 2, 3, and 4 are disputable, but 1 isn't. The fact that a ton of people in this thread are saying, "Toastyfrog isn't credibile!" indicates that he already has undermined ZD's credibility. Your credibility isn't something you can arbitrarily define; if people are saying that their trust of ZD has been undermined by Toastyfrog's reviews, then that's prima facie evidence his hack-jobs are affecting your public perception.

Or, ignore my suggestions. I'm sure you'll be very successful if you keep on condescending to your audience and telling them what to think, buy, and say.

It's working for Dan Rather and the New York Times, isn't it?

Soul4ger

My question is simply, if you have all these writers and you're all working on each others' magazines, why not just have them all work on one big, great magazine? I'd hate to be the voice of pessimism, but your magazines hardly have a feeling and voice all their own. They sound like regurgitated crap a lot of the time, honestly. And I'm not saying that to be inflammatory - honest to goodness. But more often than not, with every issue of OPM or EGM I get, I think, "Wow, this is lighter on content than last month's," or, "Are they really running this feature again?" And some of the writing is just awful..

skip

Zenith said:
how? (serious question)

we've consolidated our scoring scale across 1UP, EGM, and OPM (0-10 with 0.5s). but the general voice and style is still under the control of the respective editors.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Greenpanda said:
Of course I'm lecturing you. I'm your potential customer, I get to lecture you however much I want :) . And if you want to be successful in business, you'd damn well better listen to me.

Again, the so-called "idiots on messageboards" are precisely the people to whom you're trying to sell magazines.

Perhaps they're going after the "anti-idiots-on-messageboards" dollar. That'd be very smart of them.

Greenpanda said:
And what makes them idiots, anyway, aside from the fact that you happen to have a printing press, whereas we decided to pursue careers that don't involve lathering ourselves in Doritos crumbs and rushing for the Nintendo booth every May?

take that immature attitude to any business owner, and see what warm reception awaits you.

Reilly

Soul4ger said:
My question is simply, if you have all these writers and you're all working on each others' magazines, why not just have them all work on one big, great magazine?

cause they can make more money

Zenith

Banned
skip said:
we've consolidated our scoring scale across 1UP, EGM, and OPM (0-10 with 0.5s). but the general voice and style is still under the control of the respective editors.

but you said you want to integrate all the mags+sites as much as possible. That means more sharing of writers+content so surely "rare cases" like GnG will become more frequent.

and you didn't really answer my question, you just said it was up to the editors how they will tackle it. how do you force someone to write in a way that is totally different from their usual style?

Soul4ger

Reilly said:
cause they can make more money

Then, let's not try to make the shit smell like roses. The fact is, the quality of the publications isn't as good as it could be, or in my opinion it's suffering, because they're out to make more money. And that's fine. That's business. That's the purpose of having the magazines on the stand to begin with. But don't insist that they're fine, idiots on message boards are overreacting, when, in fact, well, they're not. Your product isn't that great.

skip

Greenpanda said:

I'm not sure if you realize it, but this attitude is exactly what everyone is so pissed off about: Web site/magazine editors acting like they're above their audience. Again, the so-called "idiots on messageboards" are precisely the people to whom you're trying to sell magazines. Your post is trying to create some distinction between the "idiots" (who don't like ZD's reviews) and the non-idiots (who presumably do) and writing off the "idiot" group. But walling yourself off from large portions of your (potential) audience is hardly the way to sell magazines. OK, maybe doing so will appeal to the "non-idiot" group by flattering their intelligence and dubious taste in games, but you can only coast so long on smug superiority. Maybe you can take into considerations the "idiot" group as well.

And what makes them idiots, anyway, aside from the fact that you happen to have a printing press, whereas we decided to pursue careers that don't involve lathering ourselves in Doritos crumbs and rushing for the Nintendo booth every May? I've seen a lot of game impressions on GAF that are a lot more informative than most published game reviews.

I'll grant you that numbers 2, 3, and 4 are disputable, but 1 isn't. The fact that a ton of people in this thread are saying, "Toastyfrog isn't credibile!" indicates that he already has undermined ZD's credibility. Your credibility isn't something you can arbitrarily define; if people are saying that their trust of ZD has been undermined by Toastyfrog's reviews, then that's prima facie evidence his hack-jobs are affecting your public perception.

Or, ignore my suggestions. I'm sure you'll be very successful if you keep on condescending to your audience and telling them what to think, buy, and say.

It's working for Dan Rather and the New York Times, isn't it?

I didn't say all messageboard users are idiots. the ones who aren't are the ones who write-up awesome impressions and reviews here on GAF, and there are plenty of them. like, oh say, Wellington, who we got writing sports content for 1UP because of that very thing. Luke just hired Beige from the 1UP boards as a news intern becuase we were impressed with his writing. if we really thought that we were "above you," that never would have happened.

the rest of your business advice is noted and filed appropriately.

skip

Zenith said:
but you said you want to integrate all the mags+sites as much as possible. That means more sharing of writers+content so surely "rare cases" like GnG will become more frequent.

and you didn't really answer my question, you just said it was up to the editors how they will tackle it. how do you force someone to write in a way that is totally different from their usual style?

I probably should have said "as much as possible, while still retaining their own unique identities and strengths." because then we'd have one monolithic publication voice that would be completely inflexible and slow to change. that's bad business.

-Rogue5-

Zenith said:
how? (serious question)

The "how" doesn't really matter in this case...

The fact of the matter (and what should be the main concern) is that one reviewer had three opportunities to talk about a game to three separate audiences... sure there is some overlap between the readerships, but that is not the point. It doesn't matter if he loved or hated the game, the fact that the same review talked about it three times (even with different styles) isn't fair to the developer or consumer/reader.

If the reviewer (subjectively) hated the game, it's bad for the dev three times over as it reduces potential sales of three different audiences. If s/he subjectively liked it, it's bad for the potential (on the fence) consumer because they read the "same" positive review (albeit from different "perspectives/styles") three times over.... especially true for the casual/younger gamers who don't notice all three reviews were written by the same person.

It shouldn't need to be re-evaluated; it should never have happened. peroid. It's common sense; I like the idea of utilizing the different groups of ZD to cross review, but who would be dumb enough to get the same person to review the same game for three different outlets with three different audiences? That's bad... and stupid.

I don't completely blame JP because he was assigned all three tasks. That said I wouldn't be surprised if he was happy to write all three because it meant he could vent about the game in three different ways (which wouldn't be right either).

White Man

skip said:
* EGM's third reviewer is now the 1UP reviewer. I assigned Jeremy the G'nG 1UP review first, which meant that he had to write for EGM as well. EDIT - The assignment was made with no prior knowledge to Jeremy's thoughts on G'nG. he's one of my best writers and I trust him completely to back up his opinions.

Why is this policy in place? ZD has a ton of writers. Why should the same person be reviewing it twice as policy? Whatever happened to hearing different opinions on a game?

skip said:
no shit? "there was a communication breakdown", "we are looking into how to handle this."
This actually undermines ZD's credibility about as much as everything else posted so far, simply because it shows that ZD never bothered to implement basic standards for journalism. The "communication breakdown" shouldn't have mattered because there should have been safeguards in place, "voice and style" be damned.

skip

White Man said:
Why is this policy in place? ZD has a ton of writers. Why should the same person be reviewing it twice as policy? Whatever happened to hearing different opinions on a game?

there are different opinions. three of them.

and as many writers as we do have, there are a ton of games (and other responsibilites the writers/editors have to attend to).

Kintaro said:
Point #1. 3 people in EGM thought they should have made a better game. Others in other mags loved it. Called opinion. Wheee!

Point #2: If Capcom didn't know those games would sell for shit in the first place, they truly need to get their heads out of their asses. PSP in japan, for the most part = shit for software sales. In the US, Megaman never sold for shit either. Come the hell on.

Megaman 2 for the NES says you're wrong.

Greenpanda said:
The fact that a ton of people in this thread are saying, "Toastyfrog isn't credibile!" indicates that he already has undermined ZD's credibility. Your credibility isn't something you can arbitrarily define; if people are saying that their trust of ZD has been undermined by Toastyfrog's reviews, then that's prima facie evidence his hack-jobs are affecting your public perception.

But always going by majority is indicative of a mob mentality. What about the possibility that the opinions and views of the majority are unfounded?

Ponn

Banned
-Rogue5- said:
The "how" doesn't really matter in this case...

The fact of the matter (and what should be the main concern) is that one reviewer had three opportunities to talk about a game to three separate audiences... sure there is some overlap between the readerships, but that is not the point. It doesn't matter if he loved or hated the game, the fact that the same review talked about it three times (even with different styles) isn't fair to the developer or consumer/reader.

If the reviewer (subjectively) hated the game, it's bad for the dev three times over as it reduces potential sales of three different audiences. If s/he subjectively liked it, it's bad for the potential (on the fence) consumer because they read the "same" positive review (albeit from different "perspectives/styles") three times over.... especially true for the casual/younger gamers who don't notice all three reviews were written by the same person.

It shouldn't need to be re-evaluated; it should never have happened. peroid. It's common sense; I like the idea of utilizing the different groups of ZD to cross review, but who would be dumb enough to get the same person to review the same game for three different outlets with three different audiences? That's bad... and stupid.

I don't completely blame JP because he was assigned all three tasks. That said I wouldn't be surprised if he was happy to write all three because it meant he could vent about the game in three different ways (which wouldn't be right either).

This should be the whole entire crux of this thread. Great post, agree completely.

Sapiens

I just wanted to say that this is a seriously great thread and I'm enjoying every post. And that I agree with the perception that certain game writers do, in fact, treat their audiences with disdain.

This Jeremy Parish GnG incident needs to be resolved. It can not be let to pass.

And yes, its only a videogame, but this is a videogame message board and we loves us some videogames, so take care of this situation, please.

-Rogue5-

Of All Trades said:
This actually undermines ZD's credibility about as much as everything else posted so far, simply because it shows that ZD never bothered to implement basic standards for journalism. The "communication breakdown" shouldn't have mattered because there should have been safeguards in place, "voice and style" be damned.

This is the only part of this problem that I blame directly on Jeremy Parish -- it's understandable if the back-end people (managing editors or whomever assigns jobs) screws up every once and a while as it's a big company... However, JP knew he would be (or had to) write for all three pubs and either didn't say anything at all or said something, but rolled with it anyway.

Where is JP? Shouldn't he be here trying to help clear this shit up?

(not that I don't appreciate skip's input)

Tiktaalik

This is the most embarrassing GAF thread ever.

Here's what I see:

- Parish is one of the best game journalists around.
- He writes a review, and gives a game a low score. He says he has a reason for why HE doesn't think the game is very good. I haven't read the review.
- I haven't seen anything to suggest Parish had a "vendetta" against the game before he reviewed it.
- Parish wasn't alone in disliking the game. Another reviewer gave it a 6.0
- This Ziff hate is ridiculous.

White Man

Zaxxon said:

Here's what I see:

- He writes a review, and gives a game a low score. He says he has a reason for why HE doesn't think the game is very good. I haven't read the review.
- I haven't seen anything to suggest Parish had a "vendetta" against the game before he reviewed it.

My sole point of contention is that the same person is reviewing games on more than one publication owned by the same company. There's no reason that should be happening.

Sapiens

Kobun Heat said:
I'm lowering my score for UG&G by three points, just because of this thread. Are you guys happy, now?

"No."
gallery_3f4cdb49604ce.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Zaxxon said:

Here's what I see:

Wow. Get some glasses then.

ghostmind

White Man said:
My sole point of contention is that the same person is reviewing games on more than one publication owned by the same company. There's no reason that should be happening.

Agreed. If each ZD channel is going to publish a review on a title. either publish different reviews (by different reviewers) for each channel, or let each channel have their "exclusive". This review-sharing garbage is cheap, and gives the reviewer an unfair tilt in their score vs. the rest of the publication industry...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Zaxxon said:

Here's what I see:

I agree, but there is Parish's comments that anyone who loves the game is blinded by nostalgia, pretty lame thing to say. But as far as I know it was only on his blog and not in the review itself so you really can't hold that against him.

Soul4ger

In the August issue of EGM, there were 12 reviews. There are three viewpoints per review, for a grand total of a possible 36 individually written reviews. There are 13 EGM staffers listed as review crew members.

Of the 36 reviews, 12 are handled by people not listed as part of the EGM staff. So that's 24 reviews, written by 13 people. Less than two per staff member, per month. BUT.. Of the games reviewed, EIGHT of the staff members only reviewed one game (Bryan, Patrick, Dan, Mark, Greg Ford, Crispin, Demian, and Greg Sewart). Jay reviewed four, Robert reviewed two, Jen reviewed two, Shane reviewed three, and Michael reviewed three. 13 reviewers total. Of the 13, five are listed as reviews being their domain - Greg Ford, Demian, Robert, Patrick, and Greg Sewart. Another is an intern. Another is an "Editor-at-Large." The five reviewers (one of whom is the Reviews Editor) accounted for a total of SIX OF THE POSSIBLE 36 INDIVIDUALLY WRITTEN REVIEWS. Meanwhile, the Managing Editor, the Executive Editor, the News Editor, the Intern, accounted for TWELVE. What?

I'm sorry, but in a Summer issue, when you yourselves are complaining about there not being anything to review... You didn't cover a third of the games with magazine staff, and not even a third of the remaining reviews were done by people assigned to reviews by your own naming. That's a little odd, in my opinion.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kobun Heat said:
I'm lowering my score for UG&G by three points, just because of this thread. Are you guys happy, now?
Nah, you would have done that anyways because it's on the PSP rather than Nintendo DS. :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
skip said:
it was never a formal ZD policy. when it happened in the past, it was mostly due to last minute freelancer dropouts or highly-specialized games (like Nich mentioned) that we needed to fill.
But in this case you described it as a communication breakdown, which Jeremy himself could have easily resolved.

...and to call it a "conflict of interest" is misleading, because of the group identity that we're trying to build here.

like I said, we're all talking now to figure out what's best for us to do.
How does the fact you are trying to build a group identity make it any less of a conflict of interest for a single reviewer to submit multiple, different reviews for the same game? If anything, that just exacerbates the conflict of interest. A single group identity isn't reinforced by something like this.

LukeSmith

ghostmind said:
This review-sharing garbage is cheap, and gives the reviewer an unfair tilt in their score vs. the rest of the publication industry...

Uh-oh, it's about to get all Gamerankings up in here.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wow, I am shocked nobody posted a popcorn picture in this thread. I gotta say what I find most interesting about this is that most, certainly not all, but still most of the gamers here haven't even played UGnG yet. It is understandable as to why since the game isn't out in the US or Europe yet, though I got to wonder if Toastyfrog's comments actually changed the mind of anyone at least around here. Also, Chris Remo, as I recall it is Luke Smith and his cronies who is in charge of the news over at 1UP.com.

ghostmind

Scoot said:
Uh-oh, it's about to get all Gamerankings up in here.

Like it or not, scores do have an influence on sales... As do opinions, especially if it is repeated enough times by enough sources...

Pellham

Banned
All it really means is that it serves ZD right for hiring him as a contributor in the first place. But I guess that's why nobody takes video game journalism seriously, since most of the people hired into it got in through connections and not through their professional experience.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
but still most of the gamers here haven't even played UGnG yet
I think most of us claiming it IS a good game have played it, though. I really like it a lot and hope it doesn't completely bomb, but unfortunately... :(

Sapiens

Pellham said:
All it really means is that it serves ZD right for hiring him as a contributor in the first place. But I guess that's why nobody takes video game journalism seriously, since most of the people hired into it got in through connections and not through their professional experience.

Is Crispin the only 'real' journalist with experience in the bunch? I like him.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
dark10x said:
I think most of us claiming it IS a good game have played it, though. I really like it a lot and hope it doesn't completely bomb, but unfortunately... :(

Well, if that is the case that is fair enough.

Soul4ger

Pellham said:

I said this in the reviews thread started by Justin, but OF COURSE no one responds to that. This is the crux of the problem. It's nice to see they hired a couple random people off message boards, because they thought they were qualified. But nine times out of 10, someone is a "contributor" because they knew the right person.

Tiktaalik

White Man said:

I agree.

I guess it's sort of a cost and time saving measure, but it reduces the amount of different voices we hear. When the game is as polarizing as UGnG it's important to have many different voices.

The fact that this thread exists hurts the inner mushy stuff in my skull. If JP didn't back himself up in the reviews, then Z-D's credibility could be tarnished. But God forbid a magazine offer a different opinion of a game--even if it was negative. Frankly, I'm tired of straight 9s...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
typo said:
The fact that this thread exists hurts the inner mushy stuff in my skull. If JP didn't back himself up in the reviews, then Z-D's credibility could be tarnished. But God forbid a magazine offer a different opinion of a game--even if it was negative. Frankly, I'm tired of straight 9s...

You know this is a good point and one that really hasn't been addessed yet, what did Toastyfrog say about UGnG? What made the game so terrible?

Ceb

snatches said:
REVIEW SCORES =/= SALES

SEE: 50 CENT: BULLETPROOF

There are other examples, I am just too tired to look them up.

No shit? But when a game has neither a big marketing budget nor a popular license to fall back on, scores become critical.

LukeSmith

Shard said:
You know this is a good point and one that really hasn't been addessed yet, what did Toastyfrog say about UGnG? What made the game so terrible?

I'd ask him, but he's at his desk drinking the blood of virgins and eating fetus slopped in guacamole.

Sapiens

Reilly said:
so, am I the only person boycotting this month's Ziff Davis magazines?

I've been boycotting the magazines for the last few months now. They just don't offer the same reading experience as they used to, with FAR too many references to check out more content online.

There's nothing I hate more than to be referred to the internet when I'm on the crapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom