• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Jeremy Parish undermine Ziff Davis' credibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiktaalik

Shard said:
You know this is a good point and one that really hasn't been addessed yet, what did Toastyfrog say about UGnG? What made the game so terrible?

I've only played the demo, but I'd wager it would be something about the fact that the controls are bad for the sake of nostalgia. I really want to know what he said, and I'll be buying the EGM to find out. See Ziff it's all good! Do more low scores!

Soul4ger

snatches said:
REVIEW SCORES =/= SALES

SEE: 50 CENT: BULLETPROOF

There are other examples, I am just too tired to look them up.

For larger games, there's a large enough built in audience that people will buy it based off of license. That's why licenses are so sought after. But for smaller games, it can make a huge difference - look at Katamari Damacy. Very well received, and a modest hit, a huge hit in fact considering. And since we're on this here forum, and a lot of people here are rather passionate about this, and as a result play the smaller games that are sometimes of high-quality but get ignored... You'll see stuff like this. I see no problem with Jeremy's opinion. In fact, I never have. And I have yet to play the game in question. But Ziff-Davis appears to be poorly run, by my estimation.

Shard said:
You know this is a good point and one that really hasn't been addessed yet, what did Toastyfrog say about UGnG? What made the game so terrible?

Bad, cheap level design, shoddy controls, and ugly graphics, from what I've been told. I agree on the latter point, quite frankly, though I know I'll probably be eaten for it.

ghostmind

Sapiens said:
I've been boycotting the magazines for the last few months now. They just don't offer the same reading experience as they used to, with FAR too many references to check out more content online.

There's nothing I hate more than to be referred to the internet when I'm on the crapper.

etoilet.jpg

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Ceb

snatches said:
I disagree. I do not think the majority of the PSP game buying public buys games based on review scores. Lumines did not sell all that well and it falls into the category you describe. Would Lumines have sold even less copies at launch if it wasn't reviewed well?

Uhh, Lumines did just fine outside of Japan, and I'm willing to bet that it had more to do with high review scores and word of mouth than the non-existant marketing blitz...

-Rogue5-

Scoot said:
I'd ask him, but he's at his desk drinking the blood of virgins and eating fetus slopped in guacamole.

Just as long as it's not fetuses from those "virgins"... 'cause that would be a scandal.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Scoot said:
I'd ask him, but he's at his desk drinking the blood of virgins and eating fetus slopped in guacamole.

Eww, he can stand guacamole?

Anyway, if sales really were equal to game reviews then BG&E should have done like Halo 2 numbers.

Soul4ger

Shard said:
Anyway, if sales really were equal to game reviews then BG&E should have done like Halo 2 numbers.

Poor example. Release in mid-November, amidst BLITZING HOLIDAY CHAOS, sometimes even a beautifully-hyped game can get lost.

White Man

typo said:
The fact that this thread exists hurts the inner mushy stuff in my skull. If JP didn't back himself up in the reviews, then Z-D's credibility could be tarnished. But God forbid a magazine offer a different opinion of a game--even if it was negative. Frankly, I'm tired of straight 9s...

Good scores or bad, this whole thing has brought up the issue that it's ZD policy that a single writer reviews the same game in more than one publication. I think that issue is much bigger than Parish being a douchebag.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
typo said:
The fact that this thread exists hurts the inner mushy stuff in my skull. If JP didn't back himself up in the reviews, then Z-D's credibility could be tarnished. But God forbid a magazine offer a different opinion of a game--even if it was negative. Frankly, I'm tired of straight 9s...
That's not what this thread is about at all and just about everyone in this thread has expressed that JP is entitled to his opinion, regardless of whether we happen to agree with it or not. It's a question of whether or not he should be entitled to express that opinion as different reviews in three different publications and whether that really does anyone a service.

The content of JP's UGnG reviews submitted up to this point have been discussed in other threads.

Shard said:
though I got to wonder if Toastyfrog's comments actually changed the mind of anyone at least around here.

Well, I don't own a PSP and didn't have any intention of buying one soon, but after ZD and Toastyfrog's conduct, I'm now seriously considering buying a PSP and UG'n'G...

ZOMG SUBLIMINAL CAPCOM MARKETING PLOY

cartman414 said:
But always going by majority is indicative of a mob mentality. What about the possibility that the opinions and views of the majority are unfounded?

The pro-UG'n'G, anti-ZD majority opinion on GAF may indeed be unfounded--I don't know; I haven't played the game. But regardless of whether this group is correct or not, I think it's fair to say that Toastyfrog's multitude of reviews HAS impacted ZD's credibility in their eyes. They might or might not be correct in thinking less of ZD for it, but either way, it's a fair description of the situation to say that Toastyfrog has lowered ZD's credibility. It's silly to claim that this fiasco has had no effect on ZD's credibility when a quick glance through this thread clearly proves otherwise.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Yeah, he's entitled to his own opinion.

He's not trying to "bash" the game on purpose because he just feels like it.

He's pissed at the game makers for some of the design decisions and he hated the game, so he's going to bash it because it wasn't fun for it.

Not because he just feels like or because he doesn't like the color green.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Soul4ger said:
Poor example. Release in mid-November, amidst BLITZING HOLIDAY CHAOS, sometimes even a beautifully-hyped game can get lost.

Okay, okay, ignoring the fact that the general games media is still touting the merits of BG&E to this day let us use a more recent example in the Mega Man games, your atypical critical darlings that failed to draw at the box office.

White Man

dirtmonkey37 said:
Yeah, he's entitled to his own opinion.

He's not trying to "bash" the game on purpose because he just feels like it.

He's pissed at the game makers for some of the design decisions and he hated the game, so he's going to bash it because it wasn't fun for it.

Not because he just feels like or because he doesn't like the color green.

Note: This thread isn't about his right to have an opinion. Yes, of course he's allowed to have an opinion.

Drakken

I have no problem with him disliking a game, but it's not right to be reviewing it for 3 different major publications. They shouldn't allow that to happen.

Soul4ger

Shard said:
Okay, okay, ignoring the fact that the general games media is still touting the merits of BG&E to this day let us use a more recent example in the Mega Man games, your atypical critical darlings that failed to draw at the box office.

Mega Man more than had its day in the sun, for one, and for another, there are SO MANY MEGA MAN games. I love the series, but even I don't go out and buy them all, even if they get good review scores. Again, I think it's a poor example.

Tellaerin

'Reviewers should never take the tastes of their audience into account when writing their reviews! We just want their unvarnished opinion! Nothing else will do!'

'But... what if the reviewer's opinion doesn't match ours? What if he's wrong?'

'Then they need to stop giving him a platform for his views and replace with someone who has the right opinion ASAP! How can a publisher be considered credible if they let someone with the wrong opinion review the same game in not one, but three different outlets? People might get the wrong impression about a game we like!'

'But... but... what's the difference? If somebody writes a review that takes our tastes into account and scores accordingly, or we insist that only someone who shares our tastes and will score the game the way we think it should be scored write the reviews, isn't it the same thing? Aren't we just demanding reviews that match our perceptions and preconceptions about games?'

'Of course not! What we want here is honesty. At least as long as it involves someone honestly agreeing with us. Because who could possibly be more right than us?'

'Since you put it like that, now it makes perfect sense! Thanks for clearing that up! I feel much better now.'

'Anytime, chum. Anytime.'

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Imagine if Gaming-Age's Ninja Gaiden review was printed in two different publications AND on the internet. :0

skip

White Man said:
Good scores or bad, this whole thing has brought up the issue that it's ZD policy that a single writer reviews the same game in more than one publication. I think that issue is much bigger than Parish being a douchebag.

it's policy that the third egm reviewer is also the 1UP reviewer. that's the only established policy here.

Soul4ger

Tellaerin said:
'Reviewers should never take the tastes of their audience into account when writing their reviews! We just want their unvarnished opinion! Nothing else will do!'

'But... what if the reviewer's opinion doesn't match ours? What if he's wrong?'

'Then they need to stop giving him a platform for his views and replace with someone who has the right opinion ASAP! How can a publisher be considered credible if they let someone with the wrong opinion review the same game in not one, but three different outlets? People might get the wrong impression about a game we like!'

'But... but... what's the difference? If somebody writes a review that takes our tastes into account and scores accordingly, or we insist that only someone who shares our tastes and will score the game the way we think it should be scored write the reviews, isn't it the same thing? Aren't we just demanding reviews that match our perceptions and preconceptions about games?'

'Of course not! What we want here is honesty. At least as long as it involves someone honestly agreeing with us. Because who could possibly be more right than us?'

'Since you put it like that, now it makes perfect sense! Thanks for clearing that up! I feel much better now.'

'Anytime, chum. Anytime.'

Way to completely miss the point of the thread. And your post wasn't even funny.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Soul4ger said:
Mega Man more than had its day in the sun, for one, and for another, there are SO MANY MEGA MAN games. I love the series, but even I don't go out and buy them all, even if they get good review scores. Again, I think it's a poor example.

Well, what would you consider a good example?

PS2 KID

dark10x said:
Imagine if Gaming-Age's Ninja Gaiden review was printed in two different publications AND on the internet. :0

Imagine all those ad dollars GAF would make too while saving money by only paying one person to write the same review for all three. :D

Soul4ger

Shard said:
Well, what would you consider a good example?

I don't have one. That's why I'm arguing with you. I think reviews do, on some level, have an affect on the sales of lesser known games.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Okay, I think I see what you are going for and I think I can give you the example you are looking for, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.

Tellaerin

Soul4ger said:
Way to completely miss the point of the thread. And your post wasn't even funny.

Oh, no, I see the point of the thread. I think it's the majority of the posters here who are unable (or unwilling) to look at the real source of their indignation, which is that somebody's spreading an opinion that they don't like and don't agree with. They're trying to rationalize it however they can. If Parish had agreed with the people here who like this game (or just want it to be good, without even having played it) I doubt this thread would exist, regardless of a couple of posts to the contrary. There just wouldn't be that wellspring of ire over how 'Parish shit on our game' to tap into.

Tellaerin said:
If Parish had agreed with the people here who like this game (or just want it to be good, without even having played it) I doubt this thread would exist, regardless of a couple of posts to the contrary. There just wouldn't be that wellspring of ire over how 'Parish shit on our game' to tap into.

OK, that's probably true, but it doesn't justify ZD's policy :p

White Man said:

I still don't see how this is a vital issue. It is only an issue if you sincerely want to read different people's opinions on the same game in the different Z-D publications. Shit would hit the fan if the reviews were carbon copied. I don't see how Z-D's credibility is tarnished if he (JP) has substantial reason to score a game the way he did (regardless if I agree with him or not). Other writers can focus on more things (like the supposed NDA expirations happening next week). It's cost-effective to have a reviewer do this (because Z-D is just a business; it's not like they are exposing government wrong-doings) rather than wasting 3 + 1 + 1 = 5 reviewers for 1 game.

I still think if JP scored the game 7/10 or more on each publication, I predict this wouldn't be an issue.

ghostmind

Tellaerin said:
Oh, no, I see the point of the thread. I think it's the majority of the posters here who are unable (or unwilling) to look at the real source of their indignation, which is that somebody's spreading an opinion that they don't like and don't agree with. They're trying to rationalize it however they can. If Parish had agreed with the people here who like this game (or just want it to be good, without even having played it) I doubt this thread would exist, regardless of a couple of posts to the contrary. There just wouldn't be that wellspring of ire over how 'Parish shit on our game' to tap into.

As one of those who couldn't give two craps about UGnG, I disagree...

Pellham said:
All it really means is that it serves ZD right for hiring him as a contributor in the first place. But I guess that's why nobody takes video game journalism seriously, since most of the people hired into it got in through connections and not through their professional experience.

No offense, but it's posts like these that define the GAFer stigma.

vitaflo said:
Hmm...Last I checked Ebert did movie reviews in the Sun Times, Online and on his TV show.

Those are all simply counted under the same subcategory of Ebert reviews though. Reviews from 1up, OPM, and EGM are all considered separate entities, regardless of reviewer.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tellaerin said:

I think you hit the nail right on the head here.

Soul4ger

Tellaerin said:

Well, I got nothing here. I agree with you, on this point. But I do think there are others who are trying to argue something bigger than that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Soul4ger said:
Well, I got nothing here. I agree with you, on this point. But I do think there are others who are trying to argue something bigger than that.

Well, that is the intial source of the GAF wrath and hatred, bigger issues have been picked up along the way.

White Man

vitaflo said:
Hmm...Last I checked Ebert did movie reviews in the Sun Times, Online and on his TV show.

His Sun Times review is the same as his online review. The TV review is for tards with short attention spans.

In this situation, we are talking about 3 different bodies of text used in 3 different publications.

Warlock

I'm sorry, but in a Summer issue, when you yourselves are complaining about there not being anything to review... You didn't cover a third of the games with magazine staff, and not even a third of the remaining reviews were done by people assigned to reviews by your own naming. That's a little odd, in my opinion.

the reviews editor is, literally, the *reviews editor*. not the reviews writer. the reviews editor spends most of his time editing all the reviews that come through his desk. if you've ever had a job like that, you know it's a lot of work, because you're essentally managing freelancers and other writers as well as reviewing their work.

reviewing a game is not like reviewing a movie - you don't just sit in a dark theatre taking notes for two hours. you have to play the game until the end. for some games (JRPGs for instance, or RPGs in general) this can mean upwards of 30 hours.

what else do we do in the office? we now have, during the "slow" season, an average of two to three business trips a week, and people have to get assigned to go to those. we have events like Comic-con, Evo-2K, QuakeCon, PAX as well as official PR events like Atari, Konami, Activision...all coming up this month. I'm looking at the giant schedule of stuff we have to cover and it's seriously insane. it takes people to go to these and time to write them up. And then someone has to plan the coverage, figure out how it's all going to fit on the website.

we also spend a lot of time every day cultivating relationships with PR - responding to requests, emailing to work our coverage plans, negotitating exclusives, etc.

on top of that we still have games coming in, and we're planning for a hugely busy holiday season with two console releases. and we have all the regular office stuff, staff meetings, administrative stuff, etc.

mostly, we find time to play games at home, after work or on the weekends. it is very rare that people here sit around playing games between 9 and 5.

that's the reality of what it's like to work here. so yeah, it makes a huge difference if someone can do double duty to write the review for 1up AND be one of the review crew for EGM, which is now the official policy here. it saves us a precious 20-30 hours a month so we can assign someone do cover a QuakeCon or write previews from Leipzig or whatever.

and we still have time to listen to complaints on message boards and address issues we feel are important, because they are important. you must know by now that we all read GAF and listen to what you guys say... at least, those of you who actually make sense. you know who you are. :)

kenta

Has no PEINS
White Man said:
His Sun Times review is the same as his online review. The TV review is for tards with short attention spans.

In this situation, we are talking about 3 different bodies of text used in 3 different publications.
Also Ebert's fame transcends whichever media outlet he appears on/in. To a casual person, it's not a review by the Sun-Times, it's a review by Roger Ebert. This is exactly the opposite for 1UP's intended audiences: These aren't reviews by Jeremy Parish, they're reviews by OPM, EGM and 1UP

Edit: Also I agree with Tellaerin since that's pretty true but, as I posted way back on page 2, my personal beef is that the underlying tone seems to be a fight against the internet hype train ("nobody would like this if it weren't GnG!"), which might have led him to attach undue hate onto the reviews

-Rogue5-

skip said:
it's policy that the third egm reviewer is also the 1UP reviewer. that's the only established policy here.

Why is that a policy? What is the benefit to the readers of EGM or readers or 1up?

The only benefit I can see is that it hits two birds with one stone; only two people have to spend time with the game rather than three. That only helps ZD (cheaper, easier) and does nothing for any of its audiences (print or online).

If there is another benefit I'm not seeing please mention it... However, if there isn't, I suggest you change it (and trust me, I know what I'm talking about; I've seen the movie "Newsies" with Christian Bale! So you could say I have an extensive background in the publication business ;)

jgkspsx

To be honest, I've never liked the GnG series. It is too hardcore for me. I don't care about UGnG much, given that it fits in the series.

I also like Parrish. He has the only blog on 1up that I read, he does some of their best continuing series, and he has a distinctive, recognizable voice that doesn't irritate me. I even like his drawings.

However, the "three publications, three reviews, one reviewer" situation doesn't seem kosher. I'd very much appreciate it if ZD ensured that this sort of thing didn't happen in the future. It would be lazy and irresponsible not to.

P.S., since there are 1up employees reading this!!!
Add a frickin' "Editor Blogs" page -- don't make me search for "toastyfrog" via the "Find Gamers" search. It won't take but five minutes!

I am breaking my "**** GAF" silence to specifically state the following: Jeremy Parish ****ed up his review of UGnG, and badly. Any criticisms of UGnG are purely nitpicks that revolve around the extreme ends of personal taste, or constitute an agenda against certain "hardcore" games. Given that his blog is a giant lexicon of apologism for awkwardly-designed NES platformers, I can't fathom the weird cognitive dissonance that must've addled his brain when he penned his reviews of UGnG. Unless he can articulate something other the uninformative snarky rejoinders, I'm just gonna take the 4.5 -- a clear statement that UGnG is sub-average regardless of the curve of the scale -- as a deliberate attack on some group of gamers he's built a vendetta against; or that he just hates DIFFICULTY.

Seriously; I've played the game and I love the series, but I woulda sold it down the river had it sucked. It doesn't. It's a brilliant piece of classic 2D platform design with loads of modern polish and some of the most stunning attention to detail and level design ever. I can imagine a few fair nitpicks, such as the mid-stage loading and the obstreperous PSP D-pad (to some) that might knock it down a few points -- even as low as a 7.0 for the REALLY cranky -- but a 4.5 is just beyond the ****ing pale.

Really, though, I'm *doubly* angry because that dipshit put me on Dave Halverson's side of the argument, and that's just a horrible place to be. When you make Halverson seem credible, we ALL suffer.

skip

jgkspsx said:
To be honest, I've never liked the GnG series. It is too hardcore for me. I don't care about UGnG much, given that it fits in the series.

I also like Parrish. He has the only blog on 1up that I read, he does some of their best continuing series, and he has a distinctive, recognizable voice that doesn't irritate me. I even like his drawings.

However, the "three publications, three reviews, one reviewer" situation doesn't seem kosher. I'd very much appreciate it if ZD ensured that this sort of thing didn't happen in the future. It would be lazy and irresponsible not to.

P.S., since there are 1up employees reading this!!!
Add a frickin' "Editor Blogs" page -- don't make me search for "toastyfrog" via the "Find Gamers" search. It won't take but five minutes!

we have a staff page link at the very bottom of the site.

Dilbert

Greenpanda said:
And what makes them idiots, anyway, aside from the fact that you happen to have a printing press, whereas we decided to pursue careers that don't involve lathering ourselves in Doritos crumbs and rushing for the Nintendo booth every May?
That was a cheap shot.

Odysseus

Banned
Frankly, to me it makes sense for them to leverage their resources and have the 1up and OPM reviews written by the same people that did the EGM review, because otherwise, you'd have five people being paid by the same company to review the exact same game! The fact that they have three people doing it is commendable. Three people at IGN didn't review UGnG. Three people at GameSpot didn't review UGnG. I don't even think three people at mouthbreathinggamers.com reviewed UGnG. I don't see the problem.

vitaflo

White Man said:

Now you're just being silly. Was there a by line on these reviews? If so, what's the big deal?

-Rogue5-

snatches said:
This is all true. And until any of its competition decides to do three reviews for every game, I recommend you drop this pointless issue. 1up and it's publications give gamers more variety of reviews than anyone else.

Well, if all of ZD's competition had three publications that featured a lot of the same content I would agree with you. But they don't, and probably for this exact reason (and/or if they do have similar content, they are written by entirely different people)... Not to mention the fact that ZD is arguably the biggest game-related publisher in the industry.

You're getting the responsibilities of the publisher and those of the magazines themselves mixed up. You're argument is illogical (eg. as ghetto as "Until Burger King sales and amount of locations are as high as McDonald's, you can't compare the two??!!")

White Man

vitaflo said:
Now you're just being silly. Was there a by line on these reviews? If so, what's the big deal?

I don't see how I'm being silly. As stated above, by the very nature of his fame, Ebert is kind of immune in the first place. Second, 2 of the 3 reviews cited are exactly the same, and the third one is a 2 minute TV distillation of that review, often using lines taken directly from the text.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Odysseus said:
Frankly, to me it makes sense for them to leverage their resources and have the 1up and OPM reviews written by the same people that did the EGM review, because otherwise, you'd have five people being paid by the same company to review the exact same game! The fact that they have three people doing it is commendable. Three people at IGN didn't review UGnG. Three people at GameSpot didn't review UGnG. I don't even think three people at mouthbreathinggamers.com reviewed UGnG. I don't see the problem.

Some people hate corprate synergy.

Soul4ger

You guys have staff meetings daily but something like this never comes up. :lol OH, RIGHTEOUS. I'll respond additionally when I bring my puppy back inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom