• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Jeremy Parish undermine Ziff Davis' credibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, those ziff assholes are always trying to shove it down our throats while they sit on their games "journalist" mountain.

They just mock us with their "user created" content, blogs that let "us" say whatever we want about games and a comments section attached to stories for "feedback" from readers. They even hire editors from their forums and blogs to cover up the fact that they hate their own audience.

Have you read 1up reviews? They have the nerve to put the review at the top of the page (by one of their snarky, hipster "critics") while they leave us plebs commenting at the bottom of the page! Then they come around here trying to talk to us directly, like we're a bunch of charity cases? Boycott!

Why have multiple magazines if they all provide the same content and opinions? Why not just combine them into one magazine and call it "The Ziff-Davis Videogaming Circlejerk"? Hell, why even have multiple reviewers per game? Why not fire all the writers save one, and have him review every game?

The point of multiple reviewers is to AVOID situations like this, where one esoteric and distinctly minority voice has a little too much say. How happy would some of you monocle-wearing porkchops be if Parish's NSMB score had appeared in EGM as well some mythical Official Nintendo Magazine? How happy would you schweinhunds be if I was the only person reviewing Unlimited SaGa as a 9/10 for all of the magazines under a publisher's banner?

-Rogue5-

Odysseus said:
Frankly, to me it makes sense for them to leverage their resources and have the 1up and OPM reviews written by the same people that did the EGM review, because otherwise, you'd have five people being paid by the same company to review the exact same game! The fact that they have three people doing it is commendable. Three people at IGN didn't review UGnG. Three people at GameSpot didn't review UGnG. I don't even think three people at mouthbreathinggamers.com reviewed UGnG. I don't see the problem.

It makes sense for ZD because it's cheaper for them... But if you bought/paid for subscriptions to all three mags and got the same opinion (although in a different perspective/style if skip is to be believed), you - as a consumer - would be pretty disappointed. If you didn't notice it was by the same person, your buying decision would probably be influenced after having read three similarly opinionated views in three different outlets (for better or for worse).

I'm guessing you don't (pay to) read EGM and/or OPM... If you only visit 1up for the review, your viewpoint is biased because you're not paying for anything anyway...

As for IGN or GS; they are only one outlet and only have one revenue stream from that one outlet. ZD has THREE outlets each with their own revenue stream but they're only paying for one/two... So yeah, it makes sense that the corporation would want to save money by selling the same product to the same people more than once, but the consumer won't (or shouldn't) be happy having similar content/perspective/opinion by the same person...

In this specific case it's really bad because JP did ALL THREE publications (and not just two, as is the ZD "policy").

Shard said:
Some people hate corprate synergy.

As for synergy; I actually LOVE the idea of ZD having access to all these different types of gamers... I dislike it when the reviews are so inbred though. I mean, taking a PC Gamer from CGW and getting them to review a console-only FPS adds TONS of value to that review as it gives an entirely different perspective (PC reviewer would presumably have played quite a fair amount of FPSs)... That's not the problem here though. The problem is getting one guy (who in this case happens to hate the game) to write the "same" negative review for three different places.... That sucks ass for the paying subscribers.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Drinky Crow said:
Why have multiple magazines if they all provide the same content and opinions? Why not just combine them into one magazine and call it "The Ziff-Davis Videogaming Circlejerk"? Hell, why even have multiple reviewers per game? Why not fire all the writers save one, and have him review every game?

The point of multiple reviewers is to AVOID situations like this, where one esoteric and distinctly minority voice has a little too much say. How happy would some of you monocle-wearing porkchops be if Parish's NSMB score had appeared in EGM as well some mythical Official Nintendo Magazine? How happy would you schweinhunds be if I was the only person reviewing Unlimited SaGa as a 9/10 for all of the magazines under a publisher's banner?
Drinky Crow is making an abnormal amount of sense... This scares me actually

Amir0x

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

It sure is good that Drinky has stopped by for just this thread, GAF feels more normal just for a fleeting moment :D

(By the by, if ZD would like me to review the next Akitoshi Kawazu game for all their publications, I'm sure I can make time for a couple 300-700 word reviews and a rubberstamp of [9.5/10].)

skip

Drinky Crow said:
(By the by, if ZD would like me to review the next Akitoshi Kawazu game for all their publications, I'm sure I can make time for a couple 300-700 word reviews and a rubberstamp of [9.5/10].)

dang, I just assigned it to jeremy.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Shard said:
Some people hate corprate synergy.
Some of us wouldn't be complaining if we actually saw corporate synergy here. But having the same person write three different reviews for the same game isn't any kind of corporate synergy or efficiency.

Simple steps to corporate synergy that seem to have been ignored here:

1 Have JP write a SINGLE review of UGnG
2 EGM review editor create an abridged version of that to fit EGM's short format review style
3 Make sure the appearance of the review in each publication is clearly labeled as a "reprint from the 1up network" or something similar.

Odysseus

Banned
-Rogue5- said:
I'm guessing you don't (pay to) read EGM and/or OPM... If you only visit 1up for the review, your viewpoint is biased because you're not paying for anything anyway...

Actually, I have a subscription to EGM, although I recently let my OPM subscription lapse. I'm not really too thrilled with any of the printed content, but that's just a reflection of my tastes and not really an indictment of those publications. I just don't see any of this as a credibility issue. The whole concept is actually laughable to me as an outsider, because they are just video games. Journalism? Credibility? Until it's my name or my livelihood on the line, I just can't take it that serious. Games are just entertainment, after all.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I think Robert is talking about GAF as a collective contradictive entity.

And yes, credibility is not the big hoobastank here.

I think folks are outraged because their favorite game got a bad score and if Ziff didn't use the same reviewer for multiple pubs, then that game might have gotten a better score from someone else (or maybe not!) -- ultimately, bad scores for a game like this will lead to bad sales which is bad for gamers because that means Capcom won't make a sequel and it will all be Jeremy's fault.

And if GAF speaks up about this -- essentially exposing the evil for what it is -- then something will be done about it. A very FCK/Boxguy-esque initiative. This is an all-hands GAF mobilization and it's very moving to watch.

john tv

Pellham said:
All it really means is that it serves ZD right for hiring him as a contributor in the first place. But I guess that's why nobody takes video game journalism seriously, since most of the people hired into it got in through connections and not through their professional experience.
Right, right. Because there's so many people out there who are more qualified than Parish to be reviewing games for 1UP. :lol

You people are delusional sometimes.

Robert Ashley said:
Man, those ziff assholes are always trying to shove it down our throats while they sit on their games "journalist" mountain.

They just mock us with their "user created" content, blogs that let "us" say whatever we want about games and a comments section attached to stories for "feedback" from readers. They even hire editors from their forums and blogs to cover up the fact that they hate their own audience.

Have you read 1up reviews? They have the nerve to put the review at the top of the page (by one of their snarky, hipster "critics") while they leave us plebs commenting at the bottom of the page! Then they come around here trying to talk to us directly, like we're a bunch of charity cases? Boycott!

So, what, are we supposed to be grateful that our wise, all-knowing corporate overlords at Ziff have deigned to let us post on their page? User-created content is an asset to 1Up and drives visitors to the site; of course ZD should include feedback and blogs. That's hardly some kind of "gift" from ZD; it's pretty much a necessity for any site in this day. They'd be up shit creek if they didn't have this stuff :p .

If anything, ZD should be glad they have so many readers doing their work for free. They could have put some of them to use reviewing UG'n'G.

kenta

Has no PEINS
chespace said:
I think Robert is talking about GAF as a collective contradictive entity.
Right, which is what I'm pointing out. It's nothing personal but there are quite a few people posting here and it's easy to just quit tracking names and make generalizations like that.

But I'd also like to see that evidence, since such a person deserves to be flogged or given a new tag at the very least :)

So, what, are we supposed to be grateful that our wise, all-knowing corporate overlords at Ziff have deigned to let us post on their page? User-created content is an asset to 1Up and drives visitors to the site; of course ZD should include feedback and blogs. That's hardly some kind of "gift" from ZD; it's pretty much a necessity for any site in this day. They'd be up shit creek if they didn't have this stuff :p .

If anything, ZD should be glad they have so many readers doing their work for free. They could have put some of them to use reviewing UG'n'G.

You know, there was a time when other site didn't have blogs, when letting people comment on your stories was a radical thing. I'm not saying you should be grateful, I'm just pointing out the fact that 1up is one of the few places that really recognizes the need to allow it's readers to participate.

zabuni

Can you find evidence of the same person posting both of those comments please?

A bad review will lower the rankings at sites like Gamerankings. Three reviews, three times as much. Gameranking's scores are used for large stores, like EB and Bestbuy, to determine how many games will be purchased for the initial run. This will determine how many copies will be in stores.

For a small game like this, a review can determine how many copies are stocked:

A snip of a post by Brad Wardell, creator of Galactic Civilizations 2:

How many copies will major retailer X purchase? Depends heavily on how many previews a game gets along with MDF.

How many copies will the retailer re-order? It's based on a formula (which differs from retailer to retailer of course) that roughly translates to 1st week sales = subsequent month's sales = subsequent 3 months sales = subsequent 6 months sales = subsequent year sales. Typically, when those sales drop below N turns per store per month, the game is no longer carried.

I'm not saying every retailer does this nor that those that do something like this do it just like this. But most do something like the above.

That's why it's frustrating for smaller publishers/developers to make big numbers because it's hard to get that initial high sell-in. We've learned this (the hard way) in the past and really went out to get a lot of previews and such. Master of Orion 3 sold something around 300,000 copies to GalCiv I's 75,000 units in NA. Stocking obviously matters.

But publishers get a second chance to up their store presence -- the reviews, particularly from the paper magazines.

The bloody gamerankings score comes up again and again.
The reviews from 3 of the major PC publications and a handful of the major gaming sites (depends on the buyer, some just use game rankings, some go by 3 of the gaming sites, others use all and still others don't care except for existing sales and MDF) are heavily factored in. MDF (market development funds) and that combined rating matter a lot.

That second chance can help a title that got sporadic distribution at the start to get restocked in higher quantity 60 days or so into distribution. That's when you start to see the boxes with the often misleading "Game of the year" (which drives everyone nuts I suspect) mentions on them -- see Jeff Green's comments in the latest CGW.

1UP ain't a high bar, dode. Not sayin' you'll find good folks in here in the sticks of GAF, nor am I saying Parish sucks, but I can walk down the hall and find better writers than Parish without a whole lot of effort. I can certainly find a better writer than the uncreative and grammatically-challenged Milkman.

Now whether they'd want to work for 1UP and write about games is another story entirely.

Wow guys... I have a giant secret here, and Skip might be able to back me up.

The reason it benefits the audience for 1up and EGM to share ONE review is... because not everyone who reads EGM will check 1up! And not everyone who reads 1up gets EGM! It doesn't necessarily open up the heavens, but it doesn't HURT anyone either. EGM has two other review slots! Assuming everyone reads everything you have, and thus requiring a subscription to EGM and OPM to get Ziff Davis's "REAL super secret" opinion of UGnG would be bad business.

As for this nonsense, "Mega Man more than had its day in the sun, for one, and for another, there are SO MANY MEGA MAN games."

So you're literally saying that reviews will ONLY affect UGnG, which would be bad because you ALREADY KNOW you want to play it?

Guess what 'gents, I've always enjoyed Secret of Evermore, and despite the thread here singing its praises, that was not always the case. I have had (idiots) stop talking to me because I liked Secret of Evermore. This does not affect me because *I* like it. They don't decide my opinions for me.

Who cares if Jeremy Parish or Dave Halverson or THE ENTIRE WORLD hated Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins? If you've played it and you enjoy it, then you enjoy it. That's all that matters.

(lastly, if companies are denying bonuses/rewards because of game reviews? Why should the reviewers give a damn? That is the game developer's problem--not ZD's)

nfreakct

Greenpanda said:
When me, Drinky, and Dave Halverson are all allied against you, you know your time is up :p

It's like the perfect storm of bad taste.

Edit: Are we seriously arguing a ultra-niche game like Ultimate GnG is going to have sales affected significantly by a few negative reviews? News flash people, anyone who was interested and going to buy Ghost n' Goblins was going to do it regardless of the review. 50 less people in America buying GnG isn't going to play into any business decision Capcom makes about the future of the franchise.

zabuni said:
A bad review will lower the rankings at sites like Gamerankings. Three reviews, three times as much. Gameranking's scores are used for large stores, like EB and Bestbuy, to determine how many games will be purchased for the initial run. This will determine how many copies will be in stores.

Really interesting; thanks for the info. :)

kenta

Has no PEINS
zabuni said:

I, uh... That has nothing to do with what I asked of Mr. Ashley but it certainly adds some sorely-needed fuel to the Sales-Age fire!

1UP ain't a high bar, dode. Not sayin' you'll find good folks in here in the sticks of GAF, nor am I saying Parish sucks, but I can walk down the hall and find better writers than Parish without a whole lot of effort. I can certainly find a better writer than the uncreative and grammatically-challenged Milkman.

Now whether they'd want to work for 1UP and write about games is another story entirely.

It always comes down to the job. I've been reading EGM's letters for a year, and every rant and rave against the magazine always comes with a resume attached...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
zabuni said:

Ah yes, the dreaded Power Creep.

Roland Stiles said:
Who cares if Jeremy Parish or Dave Halverson or THE ENTIRE WORLD hated Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins? If you've played it and you enjoy it, then you enjoy it. That's all that matters.

So magazine reviews aren't writing for an audience, but are instead a vehicle for the grandstanding of the reviewer's personal opinions and the elevation of his deeply personal complaints?

Like I said, I am 100% certain that Parish's claims about UGnG are inflated nitpicks or completely unfounded.

I can say that I hate Super Smash Brothers Melee, but if you asked me to review it, I'd probably give it at 7/10 at least. Why? Because nobody who pays $4.99 for a magazine cares that Drinky f'ing Crow demands that every fighting game play like VF4 and that he utterly despises the Nintendo mascot roster.

fallout

Drinky Crow said:
You know, Drinky, I agree with you, but do you expect anyone to take you seriously saying shit like that?

zabuni

kenta said:
I, uh... That has nothing to do with what I asked of Mr. Ashley but it certainly adds some sorely-needed fuel to the Sales-Age fire!

In order to sell games for the long haul, the game has to be in the store. A good review can keep a game in a store longer, which can lead to more sales.

Bad reviews won't do a damn thing to the latest 50 cent game, but they can keep a small niche game in stores for a longer period of time, which will lead to more sales. Maybe a bit less than "kill", but it could lead to less.

So magazine reviews aren't writing for an audience, but are instead a vehicle for the grandstanding of the reviewer's personal opinions and the elevation of his complaints?

Here's another misconception. EGM isn't written for the GAFer audience... You guys already know EVERYTHING anyway, right?

fallout, the day I care what a couple of thin-skinned messageboard jockeys think about my posting style is the day I buy a ****ing Wii and jerk off into a plush Kirby.

kenta

Has no PEINS
zabuni said:
In order to sell games for the long haul, the game has to be in the store. A good review can keep a game in a store longer, which can lead to more sales.

Bad reviews won't do a damn thing to the latest 50 cent game, but they can keep a small niche game in stores for a longer period of time, which will lead to more sales. Maybe a bit less than "kill", but it could lead to less.
I am dumbfounded as to why you keep responding to me like this but okay!

He made a broad generalization about message board posters that I thought was inaccurate and called him on it, I don't quite follow where you're coming from... But yes I see what you're saying and I don't disagree with you so... yay!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
zabuni said:

Still waiting on the Castlevania: DoS reprinting.

Where'd I say "Gaffer audience," Mister Misconception?

****, I don't even regularly post here any more, and I certainly don't consider myself part of the GAF community.

Tieno

Drinky Crow said:
fallout, the day I care what a couple of thin-skinned messageboard jockeys think about my posting style is the day I buy a ****ing Wii and jerk off into a plush Kirby.
hawt!

fallout

Drinky Crow said:
:lol Fair enough. Was just checking.

zabuni said:

So, do you think a reviewer should take into account the effect they will have on the sales of a game when they score it?

Reilly

Drinky Crow said:

If ZD was smart, they'd hire Drinky ASAP.

Kittonwy

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

I bow to your wisdom, Drinky!!!

-Rogue5-

Robert Ashley said:
Here's another misconception. EGM isn't written for the GAFer audience... You guys already know EVERYTHING anyway, right?

If anything that makes it worse, as the casual gamer or younger audience won't take notice that all three outlets' reviews were done by the same person (who, in this case, didn't like the game). They read OPM see a bad review, read EGM see a negative perspective, glance at 1up see a third harsh review and think, "three reviews say it's bad... this game probably blows." Meanwhile they were all written by the same person. Naw Meen?

zabuni

kenta said:
I am dumbfounded as to why you keep responding to me like this but okay!

He made a broad generalization about message board posters that I thought was inaccurate and called him on it, I don't quite follow where you're coming from... But yes I see what you're saying and I don't disagree with you so... yay!

Ah, my bad.

I freelanced for ZD back in the Playstation 1 era. They were good chaps in those days -- and many still are -- but I wouldn't do it again. I do a little freelancing for CGM these days, but as with ZD, I did it more out of respect for the person that asked me rather than any desire to do "games jounalism." It's a low ****ing art, and I'm only mediocre at it to boot.

Second of all, NONE of you would want me on ANY masthead. I actually asked CGM for the chance to scuttle Nintendogs as the throwaway Wal-Mart bargain rack crap it was, and they wisely laughed in my face.

Robert Ashley said:

See, that's the point, though. People on GAF may know that the same hack "journalist" wrote a review in all three issues because it's been discussed so much here, but many other people won't. ZD's limp-wristed masturbatory "policy" means that a non-GAF audience is going to see the same crappy review three times and, having not read the GAF threads, think that three different people wrote it.

edit: -Rogue5- OTM.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Robert Ashley said:
So, do you think a reviewer should take into account the effect they will have on the sales of a game when they score it?
I think you're missing his point. People were saying this has an effect on sales, people were saying no it doesn't, so he tried posting some sort of evidence that yes, it could potentially have an impact on sales.

White Man

Drinky Crow said:
I freelanced for ZD back in the Playstation 1 era. They were good chaps in those days -- and many still are -- but I wouldn't do it again. I do a little freelancing for CGM these days, but as with ZD, I did it more out of respect for the person that asked me rather than any desire to do "games jounalism." It's a low ****ing art, and I'm only mediocre at it to boot.

Second of all, NONE of you would want me on ANY masthead. I actually asked CGM for the chance to scuttle Nintendogs as the throwaway Wal-Mart bargain rack crap it was, and they wisely laughed in my face.

What about that time ZD made you review Cosmic Race for 6 different publications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom