• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Nintendo Conference Thread

sevenchaos said:
Not trying to create false hope but...

I wonder if Miyamoto not being there today is due to at least one more game announcement at his round table today. Maybe that's where he'll show Pikmin..

Wasn't he supposed to show up at another press event during E3?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
LCfiner said:
OK, I figure I'll summarize my thoughts.

Overall, the conference had some truly dull and boring moments. unlike the MS presser, which kept those to a minimum, this one had longer stretches of boring shit. And, even when showing cool shit, their presentation is a little slow and heavy handed.

Luckily, Nintendo also had some pretty cool games to show off.

So, first of all, I was not down on the Wii Fit and Wii Motion plus stuff as most of you were. I thought the wii sports resort stuff looked like a lot of fun. especially the archery and skydiving.

And the more "gamey" aspects of Wii Fit Plus like the log jumping and Mario type movement also looked cool. I was not disappointed in that.

I thought NSMB Wii was a disappointment, though, nothing about the 4 player stuff looked good and I need to see more than a retooled Mario 1-1 to be excited about the level design.

I don't think anyone can fault them for paying attention to the casual market. and, let's be honest: Women's Murder Club is a tweaked version of Hotel Dusk and GAF shot loads over that game.

The big guns were the new metroid and Mario Galaxy games. those two looked slick as hell and I think that's pretty much what most core Wii owners would have expected. well done to Nintendo for ending on those two and not Wii Music bullshit.

but, speaking of bullshit... The vitality monitor is exactly that. I'm sorry, but for a sysetm that has spent so much effort getting you to move about and swing your arms, he "relaxing" vitality meter seems like a counter intuitive side step and I think it's a rare bad move for Nintendo. and not or the core, for the casuals.

So, to give a rating, I give it a straight B. (before the last two big reveals, it would have been a C)

Miscrosoft still gets the flat A.

OMG I love you! that sums it up PERFECTLY for me!

Except that I'm a little more excited than you about NSMB. Plus I have a soft spot for Mario and Luigi 3 and March of the Minis >_>

But everything else is spot on, even the scores. This is NOT a bad thing people it was a decent show.

Teknoman

SimpleDesign said:
2-3 games? I guess you didn't actually watch it.

They showed Forza gameplay, Rock Band Beatles, Splinter Cell, and Halo 3 ODST. 4 games then. We knew most of that was going to hit anyway. MGS:R was a surprise but no gameplay at all, and FFXIII was just the same demo footage we've seen for awhile now, but with english voices (and was pretty short).

Nintendo and MS should have equal grades conference wise as far as content goes I say.

Organization though, MS would get a higher grade.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
esbern said:
ostrichvselephant.gif

:lol

that bird's like, "fuck. FUUUUUCK"

Yeah, they're not new IPs, but seriously. If the game is good, who gives a fuck if it's a new IP or a 20 year old franchise?

I do. While Mario and Zelda are great and all. It is nice to experience new worlds and characters. That's why I keep going back to my PS3 and 360. I'll take Uncharted or a Crackdown anyday.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Mario Galaxy 2 was the biggest disappointment of the conference for me. The original game was perfect, it didn't need a sequel at all.

What a complete waste of dev talent, EAD Tokyo should be working on a new IP (Or at least a different one from the one they just bloddy worked on!!!)

Yeah, Super Mario Bros. on the NES was awesome. It sure sucks that we also got SMB3.

I'm glad we're finally getting more than one installment in a console lifecycle again.

Ranger X said:
You guys are fucking nuts and also a bunch of whiners.

What matters is the games. I can't care less if the conference was good or not of if there was casual stuff or not.

All I care is that this Nintendo conference told me about like 5 titles I want to buy. Nintendo DID deliver and the bar is high now with both Microsoft and Nintendo.

Sony, fasten your seatbelt! You better impress me at least equally!!

If games are only what matters Nintendo failed. Microsoft not only had its exclusives but also the so called multiplatform games that are actually exclusive to PS3 and 360. Wii had only three games that were exciting on the conference and only the 2D SMB looks like it'll make it for 2009.

Ironballs

Spotless Mind said:
They used the conference as a place to pander to all demographics and chose to highlight games GAF couldn't give a shit about. Huge surprise there... :lol Still, i don't get why they wouldn't show off some games that need a higher profile like Sin and Punishment 2. It's like they don't even try to get its name out there.

They're making that game for us, given that we are the ones that bought S&P on VC.

It's show floor presence is considerable, it's not like it's being forgotten.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Danthrax said:
most sensible post in the thread.

BTW, I see some people calling this the worst conference ever. they clearly did not sit through Ubisoft's abomination last night, or Nintendo's abomination last year. let's keep some perspective, here.

EXACTLY. Thank you.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nuclear Muffin said:
Mario Galaxy 2 was the biggest disappointment of the conference for me. The original game was perfect, it didn't need a sequel at all.

What a complete waste of dev talent, EAD Tokyo should be working on a new IP (Or at least a different one from the one they just bloddy worked on!!!)

"Hey, remember that critically acclaimed game you made that was GREAT? Yeah, don't do that any more."

Blader

Teknoman said:
They showed Forza gameplay, Rock Band Beatles, Splinter Cell, and Halo 3 ODST. 4 games then. We knew most of that was going to hit anyway. MGS:R was a surprise but no gameplay at all, and FFXIII was just the same demo footage we've seen for awhile now, but with english voices (and was pretty short).

Nintendo and MS should have equal grades conference wise as far as content goes I say.

Organization though, MS would get a higher grade.

no

MMaRsu

Teknoman said:
Why would MS score higher? Unless you guys mean the way the conference was organized. MS showed actual gameplay for like... 2-3 games, and the rest were either CG trailers or "Casual Stuff".

The way everything was presented, no charts or sales bullshit talk. Just games the entire conference. No Teen/TWEEN fucking bullshit.

Darkpen

Banned
My god that crowd was so incredibly dead. Even despite Reggie's little jokes about Wii Motion +. The camera pans over the crowd after the Metroid M trailer, and its just dead. Jesus.

I, for one, am highly intrigued. Its just disappointing how crappy their press conference was. Their formula hasn't changed at all.

Gary Whitta said:
I'm fucking excited for it. And Nintendo also just announced the sequel to what is undoubtedly my favorite game of the modern era... GALAXY 2!

I swear if I was a game developer five minutes on this forum would be enough to make me want to give up and go work in a shoe store or something... I've never encountered a harder-to-impress band of mother fuckers :lol
This man would like to speak to you
58228al_bundy_400.jpg

I live in a shitty country with a shitty ISP.
My connection went down after Final Fantasy/KH...
came back up around the Vitality thing, but it stopped every 2 minutes or so
What happened between then?

I saw Mario Galaxy 2 after that, and Metroid M (is it 2D or 3D?)

Thanks.

Nuclear Muffin said:

Congrats. This may be the stupidest post in the thread. And that's saying something.

Regulus Tera said:
The lack of Sin and Punishment 2 makes me worried that Nintendo of America won't advertise the game at all. :(
Yeah, seriously. It seems like they're going to release it quietly and it will fall under the radar. It makes no sense that they wouldn't choose to highlight it at a press conference with a wide audience. Mario will sell regardless. This game needs all the help it can get.

artist

Banned
fortified_concept said:
If games are only what matters Nintendo failed. Microsoft not only had its exclusives but also the so called multiplatform games that are actually exclusive to PS3 and 360. Wii had only three games that were exciting on the conference and only the 2D SMB looks like it'll make it for 2009.

The Nintendo loyals circle jerk in here is so strong that this conference was awesome, best? :lol :lol Now it remains to be seen if Sony can stoop lower than this conference.

LCfiner

Jinfash said:
OMG I love you! that sums it up PERFECTLY for me!

Except that I'm a little more excited than you about NSMB. Plus I have a soft spot for Mario and Luigi 3 and March of the Minis >_>

But everything else is spot on, even the scores. This is NOT a bad thing people it was a decent show.

and I love you
r avatar

I mean, when people were comparing this conference to last year's Wii Music and Wii Speak bullshit, I couldn't believe what I was reading. Even for Gaf, it seemed a little too much of a knee jerk of a reaction.

Bluecondor

That New York Cops game for the DS by Ubisoft looks pretty cool. I was afraid that publishers were going to back off of M rated games for the DS after GTA didn't sell millions....

laserbeam

Banned
MMaRsu said:
The way everything was presented, no charts or sales bullshit talk. Just games the entire conference. No Teen/TWEEN fucking bullshit.

Making a big deal out of Facebook says Hi,Avatar shoe bam says Hi

Nuclear Muffin said:
28hn061.jpg

This may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
dude said:
I don't even get what the Vitality Sensor does, I mean, sure - it monitors my heart rate and stuff, but what does it DO? How does it use my heart rate? Can I use my pulse to play? What kind of need made someone invent this?

The questions... I'm just so confused. This is the most puzzling announcement ever.

EDIT: Also, I expect rumors of Miyamoto dying of cancer soon.

some people probably need it and it might be an affordable option. maybe itll be connected with wii fit

tokkun

On the whole I enjoyed Nintendo's conference more than Microsoft, since I felt like Nintendo showed a more diverse set of genres. However I don't know how anyone can dispute that the presentation quality was far below Microsoft. Nintendo's presenters are so wooden and low-energy that I feel like I'm watching a conference for work rather than a conference about games. With all the money Nintendo is making, it seems like they could pay to have someone who seems to give a shit come out and do the presentation.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
traveler said:
They just showed a sequel to the best game of this generation, (possibly all time) a new Metroid game done by a collaboration between Nintendo and Team Ninja of all people, a mp Mario sidescroller, and a sequel to a fan favorite RPG series that we thought would never see the light of day- all while still managing to please casuals and investors alike- and you consider those of us who were actually semi-impressed by the conference to have ridiculous expectations? Seriously? I'm far from a drooling Nintendo fanboy or whatever image you seem to have in your mind, but that is absolutely absurd. Go read last year's conference thread- even the fans have been calling the Nintendo stuff like they see it.

All the conference reactions have revealed is this- that Nintendo giving the hardcore part of their attention isn't enough; they are insulted by the very presence of ANY efforts to go after the casuals.
I thought it was clear that I was only talking about Wii, not DS. I don't look at NSMBWii and think "GREATEST THING EVER!!!!!!!!", but like I already said, if you do, then fine. But honestly man, an announcement of 2 games coming out in 2010 is not all that great to me. Yes, SMG2 looks amazing (but it doesn't look like that great of an improvement over SMG), and M:OM in Team Ninja's hands (without Itagaki) is too much of a question mark. Yes, they covered a lot of bases, but WHAT THEY ACTUALLY SHOWED wasn't too impressive (RE:DC and Dead Space: Extraction?).

Personally, and it look like I'm not the only one who feels this way, expectations were slow that the simple fact that they announced anything new was enough to floor a lot of people.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Spotless Mind said:
Yeah, seriously. It seems like they're going to release it quietly and it will fall under the radar. It makes no sense that they wouldn't choose to highlight it at a press conference with a wide audience. Mario will sell regardless. This game needs all the help it can get.

They will send it to die like ExciteBots.

I'm not expecting the title to sell millions, but Treasure's games are way too overlooked by the market considering their quality.

Kevtones

Is Miyamoto doing some sort of press conference tonight? Could Zelda be there?

Also, I just saw the Metroid trailer, holy shit.

camineet

Banned
Nintendo probably saving Retro Studios game and Nintendo-developed Zelda for next year.

I hope however, that Zelda is revealed at E3 2010 to be another Metroid M-like collaboration, because other than EAD Tokyo, I don't think even Nintendo has what it takes to change the franchise and refresh it into something exciting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bluecondor said:
That New York Cops game for the DS by Ubisoft looks pretty cool. I was afraid that publishers were going to back off of M rated games for the DS after GTA didn't sell millions....

This.

I got some serious "Die Hard Trilogy" for PSX vibes from that trailer. I used to love that game. This one is definitely on my watch list.

Darkpen said:
My god that crowd was so incredibly dead. Even despite Reggie's little jokes about Wii Motion +. The camera pans over the crowd after the Metroid M trailer, and its just dead. Jesus.

I, for one, am highly intrigued. Its just disappointing how crappy their press conference was. Their formula hasn't changed at all.
that's because their enthusiasm had been utterly killed by the first 86 minutes of the show.

nobody even cared anymore.

laserbeam said:
Making a big deal out of Facebook says Hi,Avatar shoe bam says Hi
No, see. The Facebook thing is still somewhat tech related, so this forum thinks it's a trivial thing, but OK none the less. However, the teen games are software that isn't directed to them, so it pisses them off like nothing else.

Why do people care if a conference is entertaining or not? Do you watch them again? The conferences are a forgettable means to show games. And games are a matter of preference. Nintendo showed some good stuff and some stupid shit, better than they've been doing.

joesmokey

Pretty decent conference by Nintendo. Much, much better than last year.

Cammie was better at presenting but she looked completely not interested in being there. Iwata coming on just do to the Wii Vitality thing was a joke.

NSMB Wii actually looks fun, and Galaxy 2 with Yoshi will be awesome. Metroid looks interesting, will have to see more of it.

While most of Nintendo's conference was boring chatter, they almost fully redeemed it by showing off games I'd actually buy.

Thaedolus

Also: if Zelda wasn't at Nintendo's spotlight main event, what the fuck makes you think it's going to be shown behind closed doors? It's not there this year.

LCfiner said:
and I love you
r avatar

I mean, when people were comparing this conference to last year's Wii Music and Wii Speak bullshit, I couldn't believe what I was reading. Even for Gaf, it seemed a little too much of a knee jerk of a reaction.
up until Galaxy 2 it was just as bad, if not worse.

Grecco

Regulus Tera said:
They will send it to die like ExciteBots.

I'm not expecting the title to sell millions, but Treasure's games are way too overlooked by the market considering their quality.

A sequel to a game they never even released in the US. Yeah i doubt they will pus this.

up until Galaxy 2 it was just as bad, if not worse.

You need to watch last years conference again. This is just plain wrong.

MMaRsu said:
And what possible reason would they have to talk about that? It's natural for the market leader to talks sales just like it was last gen when Sony did at every E3.

laserbeam

Banned
I am curious why it seem slike the Japan side of things was so out of it this year. Perhaps to do with the conference in Japan?

domlolz

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
that's because their enthusiasm had been utterly killed by the first 86 minutes of the show.

nobody even cared anymore.

Exactly,they should of announced it after the conference and they would of gotten a better reaction

Top Bottom