• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2013 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes March 11

donny2112

What is NPD?: NPD is one of the main retail tracking firms in the U.S., and also about the only one who specifically goes into detail on video games sales. This thread is to predict what the NPD hardware sales will be for the most recent month. NPD months are defined here, from jvm.
What do I win?: Bragging rights. We also keep track of predictions over the year and have an annual contest using "points." Still just bragging rights, but Sales-Agers have fun seeing how well we can do with it. See here for details on the point calculations.

Prediction entries must be in and finalized by 8 p.m. EDT on Monday, March 11th. Format use is required if you want your entry counted.

NPD Coverage: February 3-March 2 (4 weeks, January was 5 weeks)
NPD Release: March 14th @ 4 p.m. EDT (thread posted ~6:30 p.m. EDT)

IMPORTANT: As of May 2012's results, NPD is now directly including Wal-Mart data in their totals. Previously they were only estimating for Wal-Mart, so there could be some significant changes in relative performance compared to previous years.

Format:
Note: PSV will only be counted for unit results and cardinal order bonus. PSV is not included for point results.

[360]
[3DS]
[PS3]
[PSV]
[WIU]

Good/Bad Formatting
Code:
Good              Bad
[360] 300K        [360] 300 thousand
[360] 300,000     [360] 300.000
[360] 300000      [360] - 300000

Potential hardware impacting events in February:
Fire Emblem regular 3DS special edition bundle - February 4 - $199
ZombiU Wii U bundle - February 17 - $390

January's Results - thanks to Nirolak, jvm, and a variety of angles

Hardware:

Xbox 360: 281K (+4.07%)
PS3: 201K (Change Unknown, but JVM estimated 180-200K last January.)
Wii U: 57K
Here are my personal estimates. :) Except in the cases where figures are known, rounded to the nearest 5K.

3DS: 145K
PSV: 35K
Note: The Wii U number may, may, may have been affected by an inordinately large number of returns by scalpers taking advantage of the extended holiday return period or dissatisfied customers. There were retail reports that the gross number of consoles sold not including returns may have been 2x the January number. Now returns would affect every console in January as people return unwanted Christmas gifts, but the difference here is that Wii U may have had an unusually high number due to people hoping to strike it rich by selling Wii U for a high price, since the Wii sold above retail on the secondary market for years after launch. The thing to note for predictions is the possibility that the January weekly baseline for new Wii U sales may have been higher than the NPD number would indicate. The NPD number is correct, but it just may not give the full picture in terms of predicting for February's results.

January 2012 NPD thread
February 2012 NPD thread

NPD Prediction Thread Archive

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You forgot to mention the Zombi U bundle for Wii U. That maybe had some effects, since Nintendo Land has suddenly appeared at third in the current download Wii U charts, and the Zombi U bundle contained a download code for NL.

kswiston

[360] 335k
[3DS] 160k
[PS3] 240k
[PSV] 40k
[WIU] 60k

January was 5 weeks this time though.

While that is true, your predictions are saying that most consoles will remain flat in Feb compared to this past Jan adjusted to 4 weeks. In the past sales have increased 20-40% in Feb.

Wynnebeck

Banned
[360] 270K
[3DS] 180K
[PS3] 160K
[PSV] 25K
[WIU] 27K

Hopefully Wii U sold more then what I'm predicting because the NPD thread is going to be insane if they sold less that 55K.

donny2112

You forgot to mention the Zombi U bundle for Wii U. That maybe had some effects, since Nintendo Land has suddenly appeared at third in the current download Wii U charts, and the Zombi U bundle contained a download code for NL.

Thanks. Added to the OP.

jvm

Gamasutra.
In case anyone cares, here are the figures I personally use for January 2012 and February 2012. Rounded to the nearest 5K.

January 2012
Xbox 360 = 270K
PS3 = 190K
3DS = 170K
Wii = 150K
NDS = 75K

February 2012
Xbox 360 = 425K
PS3 = 350K
3DS = 260K
Wii = 230K
PSV = 225K
NDS = 135K

I don't know if that's really helpful, but there you go.

Edit: Having written it out like that, it's not hard to imagine that January returns plus tapped out consumers and then February tax refunds could really help explain at least some of that month-to-month differential.

Edit 2: Microsoft's momentum into the new year is pretty good, especially considering that the $50-off deal ended the first week in January. Average price in November was $227, followed by $246 in December and then $255 in January.

Woops haha. Fixed. It will interesting to see when the 360 finally drops to 149.99 and the PS3 to 199.99 I feel like there is still some potential left to tap in this gen at lower prices, but a 149.99 SKU would probably hurt MS's subscription 99.99 version. 3DS will be interesting to watch Animal Crossing month, but I don't really know if Fire Emblem is going to push a lot of systems.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
[360] 290K
[3DS] 175K
[PS3] 160K
[WIU] 42K
[PSV] 34K

Top Bottom