• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

velociraptor

4.5 GB at the moment...

that's even lower than Xbox One's max available memory...this Sony OS sounds like a disaster and it looks ugly as sin
What? The usage of the PS4 OS is said to be 1.5GB at the moment. That sounds pretty good to me. Besides, this information is based upon the devkits.

Jarmel

Banned
Also if the Share fuction is taking up so much, reduce the recording time that the system does automatically.

Although I would prefer them to say fuck it and nuke the option if it's taking up so much ram.

Krakn3Dfx

revolutionary Kinect sensor.

tumblr_mmd3t6qSIi1r75uoto1_500.gif

Vestal

Well if the rumors are true it's even more ridiculous for Sony than it is MS. Why on gods green earth would you throw 3.5 gigs of GDDR5 at a FreeBSD OS. It's like nuking an anthill.

Ask yourself this, why would you need it for the X1? Have you booted up windows 8 or 7 lately? Tell me what the OS footprint is when you launch it.

Right now on my system, with Steam up, Firefox up with 9 tabs, Baldurs Gate minimized, PS3 Media Server running, IE10 running with 6 tabs, my Footprint is 3GB(16GB my total memory).

Top offenders in memory are:
Firefox 730meg
Java 684meg
IE 412meg
Steam 90.7

My system usually starts up taking about 1.3GB.. This is a PC, thus not a closed system.

ekim

It's sad, that reasonable arguments (famousmortimer) are made here and get accepted but when MS came out with their footprint for the OS, everybody was bashing them for having only 5GB for games.
That said, if this is true, it is still more than enough and still has more bandwidth.

Minigo

Here's the deal...somewhat. From a dev at one of the biggest in the industry. Just a messenger here.

Dev still a little cagey to give out 100% concrete numbers unfortunately like I was previously told, so I apologize ahead of time that they're not as detailed, but these are supposed to be the closest to detailed info I get on the OS footprint:

-At most, the OS uses 1.5GB, with a good amount of that helping the HD recording feature and on the fly switching/ multi tasking
-4.5GB is indeed about what's available for devs at present.
-1GB is set aside for futureproofing OS operations down the line.
-1GB for developer reserve, should they need it

And finally as an important point, I'm being told the faster RAM in the PS4 does in fact make a huge difference.

Devs WILL need it eventually, I'd say give it to them from the get go and take 2.5 for OS, then as memory foot print gets smaller release more RAM for devs, happy middle ground.

How does this differ than what Microsoft (or the consoles last gen) is doing? The post is a sugar coating of the same situation that everyone gave MS shit for; taking up a huge amount of space for non gaming functions, whether a portion is reserved for potential future proofing or not. Proelite already said that some of the space that's reserved for the Xbox is open space for future proofing; just like Sony is doing here. Both can (and most likely will) reduce the footprint in the future.

Baffling how this post is being congratulated when it's essentially PR spin.

Im curious if you could explain how this differs from MS' position where they can similarly reduce the size as time goes on? Or even upclock via a patch as you claim?

I have to concurr. For all my dislike for Microsoft as a company, I put far more faith in them when it comes to reducing OS footprints than I do Sony.

You cannot use the "They can unlock it later" defence for one and not apply it to the other.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good lord, all that memory for fucking youtube spam.

I have news for you, I use my powerful gaming rig and 16GB of memory for Streaming. up to 5.5gb may be available at launch and they seem to be provisioning the rest and playing it safe. I don't think I've seen one dev complain about either Xbone or PS4 in this regard.

Why not just say 5.5GB for devs then? I wonder what's special about this 1GB.

Why would there be a 1 GB developer reserve if there's already a 1 GB futureproofing OS reserve? I find it pretty hard to believe they plan to have 2 GB of GDDR5 just sitting around in reserve.

So why is the 1 GB reserve?

Sounds about right.

But why is 'developer reserve' separate? Why not just give 5.5GB available from the outset?

Well, still can't give out too much info on that one apparently. Supposedly can be "called back" from dev tools. The bottom line is that it's there if required.

Saty

The market will decide. Sony simply wants flexibility to alter the value proposition of its consoles depending on the whims of the marketplace. It is an incredibly smart move.

MS does the same.

The PS4 was differentiating it from the XB1 by being focused on the gamers and they celebrated that aspect which is based on specs (which early adopters do care about) but now both consoles are closer than thought before. People already raised an eyebrow when devs said their won't be significant changes between the PS4 and XB1 version of multiplatform when everybody assumed 7GB was reserved for games.

PS4 was marketed as being a the no-brainer choice for those who care about games, performance, specs and policies. MS leveled the DRM stuff and now specs wise it turns out to be close enough that it isn't much of an issue with multiplatform games.

All i'm saying is that Sony enjoyed the limelight of being this and that but it seems it's going to be the same as in this gen where an enthusiast's choice of console will be based on his tastes and thoughts about the first-party content rather than significant differences in hardware, utilization and DRM.

kitch9

Banned
Well if the rumors are true it's even more ridiculous for Sony than it is MS. Why on gods green earth would you throw 3.5 gigs of GDDR5 at a FreeBSD OS. It's like nuking an anthill.

They haven't for fucks sake.

The 8GB was only confirmed a few months back and all current games have been developed around the lesser amount. Sony will still have not finished the os and the extra ram will have opened up a few possibilities for them which needs to be explored.

Sony will give back any ram they don't use, same as ms presumably.

People cancelling pre orders over this stuff seriously need to get a grip and buy some anti slaphead pills.

Man, I love how easy it is to be an industry insider on GAF. Here let me try:

So, I just got done speaking to my sources who are telling me that this info is incorrect.

- The amount of usable RAM cited in the article is incorrect at the moment, but I've been told that everything is still in flux as the final dev kits come together.
- My source told me that everyone in his studio is super happy with the amount of current usable RAM but he can't give me any specifics at the moment.
- They also told me that there is some neat OS stuff in the pipe that hasn't been announced yet. ;)

There we go, now everything I have said can be taken as gospel!

In all seriousness though, whether it is the sources Eurogamer has or the sources all these GAF insiders have the only actual sensible thing to do is weigh all this information as it comes out. Obviously unless Sony says something or concrete evidence is leaked, pretty much everything that everyone is saying in this thread is conjecture.

NHale

While the PS4 is more powerful, the Xbone IMO offers a better selection of games based on what we've seen so far, not to mention the superior OS features and revolutionary Kinect sensor. Better hardware does not necessarily make the better console.

The amount of spin in this post is making me dizzy.

This thing has to last 7-8 years. That shit is going to be gone quickly especially when ND and SSM start chewing through it.
Except we had devs at PS3 launch complaining already that there wasn't enough RAM.

Additionally, you'd think as time goes by memory usage would go down as things become more efficient and tweaked, whereas at launch you're not used to the system and it'l not be as optimized.

But needing more than 5gb of ram right now is also ridiculous. No one needs it. So why not section it off and see what happens after launch? The first games that will really push either system will be fall 14. They have plenty of time to make changes before then.

You don't know what Sony is planning for the future. If this is true you don't know how much RAM will be freed either.
Developers don't know what to do with more than 5 GB of Ram? So let's reserve an insane amount of ram for features we don't know about?

What kind of logic is that? If you apply that logic to everything else in the system, the argument collapses on itself. Let's reserve 30/40% of all system resources for future proofing, because it's not just that devs now won't really know how to take full advantage of all the RAM, they also won't know how to take full advantage of everything else. As we see with every gen, devs are always learning.

So your premise is a dead end. You don't reserve a significant amount of resources for features that don't exist, you reserve them for features you see coming up. Also, it's a losing bet to predict a game changing feature midway through a generation. Fact is, any features you can't see coming in the near future, will have little to no effect on a system's success, because by the time they happen these systems will be out dated in comparison to other devices.

I'm enjoying this thread so much. The crow is going to be epic.

Canceling preorders? Are you people for real?

I wouldn't doubt some of the people 'cancelling preorders' never had it preordered to begin with.
The others are just being hilariously sarcastic.

edit: lol- apparently some truly have cancelled their preorders and are posting screen shots? Embarrassing. :\

QaaQer

At the end of the day, reserving 3 gigs of ram, 2 CPU cores and x% of GPU and CPU power for the operating system only gimps an already weak console.

This. If people can't understand why people who want the best games possible are bothered by the news that it looks like only 55% of the memory will be available for developers, well IDK what to say.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
repost:
Reserved 1gb may simply because of the devkits only have same RAM amount as retail boxes. Pretty hard to be sure your games performing correctly if you're using a GB of phantom RAM you don't have due to dev tools and stuff taking it up but "will" have when better kits roll out.

4.5 GB at the moment...

that's even lower than Xbox One's max available memory...this Sony OS sounds like a disaster and it looks ugly as sin
Well we don't really know what's left for a XB1 game when the game OS takes its toll in the 5GB memory space they are allocated. I don't think a XB1 game will get 5GB out of 5 when the game OS also has to run in the same memory space. But I may be wrong.

Mung

Here's the deal...somewhat. From a dev at one of the biggest in the industry. Just a messenger here.

Dev still a little cagey to give out 100% concrete numbers unfortunately like I was previously told, so I apologize ahead of time that they're not as detailed, but these are supposed to be the closest to detailed info I get on the OS footprint:

-At most, the OS uses 1.5GB, with a good amount of that helping the HD recording feature and on the fly switching/ multi tasking

And finally as an important point, I'm being told the faster RAM in the PS4 does in fact make a huge difference.

So although a maximum 5.5 GB is avalable for devs right now, the OS only uses 1.5GB currently.

At least it isn't all confirmed to be used for the OS, i.e. 3.5 GB. Makes it likely that it is a flexibility issue until things are finalised.

KaYotiX

Banned
lol, yeah, now the bloated OS MS got criticized for is now the norm. Watching the flow of opinions on gaf is pretty cool.
Agree, MS was crucified for this same thing a few weeks ago. Now Sony does it and now it's all decent conversation and reason.

When it was MS it was all hahaha and MS sux posts.

kasane

Ask yourself this, why would you need it for the X1? Have you booted up windows 8 or 7 lately? Tell me what the OS footprint is when you launch it.

Right now on my system, with Steam up, Firefox up with 9 tabs, Baldurs Gate minimized, PS3 Media Server running, IE10 running with 6 tabs, my Footprint is 3GB(16GB my total memory).

Top offenders in memory are:
Firefox 730meg
Java 684meg
IE 412meg
Steam 90.7

My system usually starts up taking about 1.3GB.. This is a PC, thus not a closed system.

Wow checked taskmanager to see how much my 50 tabbed firefox does. It taks almost 1gigs wow.

ekim

Well, still can't give out too much info on that one apparently. Supposedly can be "called back" from dev tools. The bottom line is that it's there if required.

Maybe it turns off some OS feature when claimed? (Recording video, switching games ...)

Man, I love how easy it is to be an industry insider on GAF. Here let me try:

So, I just got done speaking to my sources who are telling me that this info is incorrect.

- The amount of usable RAM cited in the article is incorrect at the moment, but I've been told that everything is still in flux as the final dev kits come together.
- My source told me that everyone in his studio is super happy with the amount of current usable RAM but he can't give me any specifics at the moment.
- They also told me that there is some neat OS stuff in the pipe that hasn't been announced yet. ;)

There we go, now everything I have said can be taken as gospel!

In all seriousness though, whether it is the sources Eurogamer has or the sources all these GAF insiders have the only actual sensible thing to do is weigh all this information as it comes out. Obviously unless Sony says something or concrete evidence is leaked, pretty much everything that everyone is saying in this thread is conjecture.

Some people have gone mad.

Odrion

Banned
So okay. The 1gb reserve might mean that.

The current dev kits only allow for 4.5gb because of reasons.
The OS currently only uses 1.5gb
Sony plans to hold on to an additional 1gb for future features.
The "reserved" 1gb isn't accessible with current dev kits, but will be down the road.

And Devs think 4.5gb right now is more than enough.

Computer

QFT.

I just don't get all the bitterness and people talking about jumping ship to the Xbone. 4.5-5.5GB of GDDR5 RAM is still better than 5GB DDR3 RAM. Throw in the better GPU, and PS4 is still clearly on top.

Xbox One has 5 Gigs plus 32 mb of the fastest ram available eSRAM for gaming.

Sony has 4.5 Gigs Thats why

Thanks for the numbers, really brings things into better focus now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is stupid as hell if the OS is that bloated. Wasn't it supposed to be 512mb before the up to 8GB? What the hell happened?

If their source really is just the old Shadow Fall slides from Feb I can't see this holding up for the final console. That's just the limit for the old dev kits. Would be an absolute waste to have all that GDDR5 in and so much go for the OS.

lol you can't be serious... you people are hilarious. Canceling your preorder because you read something on a forum based on a rumor...

There's nothing funny about it. It's kind of more like, the last scene in No Country for Old Men, where
Tommy Lee Jones just kind of admits defeat and doesn't fucking understand this world anymore

CrisKre

Remember when WiiU was crucified on GAF because its backwards compatability forced you to enter a sub-menu?

And then when the other next-gens revealed they would not offer BC, BC in general was criticized as "backwards-thinking?"

you call it the flow of opinions, I call it hypocrisy.
People have their own agenda. Some just are just blinded in their judgment to an astronomical extent. the same news can be of two completely opposed opinions depending on what side you are standing from.

Discusguy

Because I am paying 399.99 for 8gigs and to have almost half wasted on features I don't want is not good. I don't see it any different than MS forcing Kinect on gamers. There is nothing but bloat that could explain that much ram usage by the OS/features. I think most of us could understand starting at 2gigs for that stuff and moving it down but 3.5 is mind boggling. That is as more ram than a full fledged OS desktop uses.

Pretty much. This ram allocation thing has me rethinking my ditching Xbox1 for PS4.

Did anyone start a twitter campaign yet?

Top Bottom