• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Devs 'calling back' 1Gb if needed suggests the OS can use that, but if games need it then the OS might just need to reload some stuff from the HDD

Which suggests the OS 'needs' 1.5Gb but can 'use' 2.5GB

When worded liks this, it seems really flexible for devs who may need more or less memory.

I would imagine there being SW checks to see which games need a certain amount of memory so you can do more OS stuff with certain games and less depending on how much the devs need to cull.

kevm3

QFT.

I just don't get all the bitterness and people talking about jumping ship to the Xbone. 4.5-5.5GB of GDDR5 RAM is still better than 5GB DDR3 RAM. Throw in the better GPU, and PS4 is still clearly on top.

More like jump ship to PC. The problem is that resources are being wasted that could be used for gaming. What we're getting in PS4 might be better than the one, but it could be even better if sony moved out of the way and whittled down its whale-sized OS. There is absolutely no reason an OS on a gaming machine should need to access 3.5 GB of ram. 1.5 GB would be understandable, but over 3 is ridiculous, especially in comparison to the one, which is doing more with the OS out the gate with 3 GB.

kurbaan

Banned
FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ Reply to Thread

0221_frkbp.gif

rdrr gnr

Here's the deal...somewhat. From a dev at one of the biggest in the industry. Just a messenger here.

Dev still a little cagey to give out 100% concrete numbers unfortunately like I was previously told, so I apologize ahead of time that they're not as detailed, but these are supposed to be the closest to detailed info I get on the OS footprint:

-At most, the OS uses 1.5GB, with a good amount of that helping the HD recording feature and on the fly switching/ multi tasking
-4.5GB is indeed about what's available for devs at present.
-1GB is set aside for futureproofing OS operations down the line.
-1GB for developer reserve, should they need it

And finally as an important point, I'm being told the faster RAM in the PS4 does in fact make a huge difference.
1GB developer reserve -- is that the "flexible" memory?

I was expecting 3GB for the OS to be honest. Slightly disappointed, but not surprised.

This does mean that my PC won't be obsolete as quickly though lol

lol another title change? who is doing this?

As a lot of people are speculating, am I the only one who thinks it's a little fucked up that Sony could be setting that allotment of RAM aside for future OS features after they see what MS comes up with?

I know companies are always copying each other but Sony took a lot of shit this gen for copying more blatant stuff like achievements, Netflix, etc. And now that I think about it, aside from the games there isn't really anything about the PS4 that necessarily stands out feature-wise. It'll be disappointing if they're taking away RAM from developers just to rehash crap MS is already doing.

Because he's wrong. That's my opinion. Is that ok with you?

I'm not even mad but more frustrated that you take offense with me disagreeing. It's really not that important to respond to me 2-3 times.

It's not about you disagreeing, I just don't see the point in simply telling somebody that he's wrong. No need to be frustrated, I was simply curious.

More like jump ship to PC. The problem is that resources are being wasted that could be used for gaming. What we're getting in PS4 might be better than the one, but it could be even better if sony moved out of the way and whittled down its whale-sized OS. There is absolutely no reason an OS on a gaming machine should need to access 3.5 GB of ram. 1.5 GB would be understandable, but over 3 is ridiculous, especially in comparison to the one, which is doing more with the OS out the gate with 3 GB.

Well, until Windows lets games us all of the memory you can stuff into a proper gaming PC (without user modifications), if your entire happiness in gaming depends on how much memory you can use for games, you might need to just stop playing videogames until that day comes.

Mung

If Shinobi's info is right, the os only uses 1.5gb and 1 gb is currently 'just in case'

Dizzy

Banned
I've struggled to keep up with all this over the past 24 hours.

1GB always seemed quite small to me, especially when compared to Microsoft's 3GB. This new ps os does seem a little too big though.

I think I'm just gonna sit it out and wait until the smoke clears.

prwxv3

As a lot of people are speculating, am I the only one who thinks it's a little fucked up that Sony could be setting that allotment of RAM aside for future OS features after they see what MS comes up with?

I know companies are always copying each other but Sony took a lot of shit this gen for copying more blatant stuff like achievements, Netflix, etc. And now that I think about it, aside from the games there isn't really anything about the PS4 that necessarily stands out feature-wise. It'll be disappointing if they're taking away RAM from developers just to rehash crap MS is already doing.

What the fuck. Netflix is not a feature MS came up with its a service they were able to get on their console first.

I sincerely hope Sony sees this thread / others / press and addresses the question raised directly. They seem to be playing pretty fair and square - it would be a good move in my opinion to continue doing so ...

VanWinkle

Wait. Copied Netflix? Huh?

meppi

lol you can't be serious... you people are hilarious. Canceling your preorder because you read something on a forum based on a rumor...

Haha, yeah. You're think people are buying a system for its games don't you?
Well not on this board! ;P
And yes I realise that this only applies to an extremely tiny (and very dumb) minority.

GodofWine

edit: lol- apparently some truly have cancelled their preorders and are posting screen shots? Embarrassing. :

I could make an cancel 1000 orders on amazon today and post them to be cool with the xb crowd...by the looks of it at amazon, the public gives 2 shits about this. Heck I almost do care, 5.5gb gddr5 ram is a lot of ram, and i bet they get to 6gb within 2 years.

Edit: that guy actually cancelled a june order...ha..wow. I could do the same though since I have 3 on order cause I'm indecisive on which bundle

Why would someone cancel their preorder of the console that was and remains the most powerful, cheaper, and looks to be in position to be the leading console to start this generation? Cause this is neogaf obviously.

nampad

I calmed down for this? Don't want t be a drama queen, but this would suck.
Don't know why the OS needs so many resources. The Vita OS does a lot of things with just 256 MB. 1 GB should be enough, maybe even 2 GB, but 3,5 GB?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is a non issue.

It's more important to note that there is up to 5.5GB there of GRRD5 and it will improve with time.

Then goes the part where all this is rumor/speculation right now but I'm glad we have at least some sort of insider info on this from 3 people.

Odrion

Banned
So the 1gb that Sony may be reserving for OS features could theoretically be given to developers because fuck it, right?

Top Bottom