• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

Dlacy13g

I could be wrong here but I don't think anyone is disputing that 4.5GB of RAM will be more than enough for games for the foreseeable future.

I think a good bit of the "anger" is coming from a sentiment that Sony withheld this information even though they knew what was being said around many sites was incorrect. Hearing someone say "your product will have 7GB of RAM for games" and knowing that isn't correct but not saying anything to correct them is pretty much you smiling and nodding as if you are confirming what they said is correct.

Well, still can't give out too much info on that one apparently. Supposedly can be "called back" from dev tools. The bottom line is that it's there if required.

I bet it's for advertised features of the console that Sony is telling developers they can't rely on the OS to use its RAM for. Online functions, etc.

Yawnier

Banned
Okay wow, I leave for 2 hours and this place has just gone even more apeshit. If that is even possible at this point.

Good post by Famousmortimer though.

thuway

Devs WILL need it eventually, I'd say give it to them from the get go and take 2.5 for OS, then as memory foot print gets smaller release more RAM for devs, happy middle ground.

I love how certain developers have commented that Sony might have gone overkill in RAM; and GAF members have suddenly graduated into the realm of managing software companies. Bravo GAF.

Jarmel

Banned
Except we had devs at PS3 launch complaining already that there wasn't enough RAM.

Additionally, you'd think as time goes by memory usage would go down as things become more efficient and tweaked, whereas at launch you're not used to the system and it'l not be as optimized.

That RAM is going to be gone at one point. I'm willing to take a ban bet even that one of the first party developers is going to max it out. It's always what happens. The more you give, the more someone takes. Naughty Dog will max the shit out of the system at one point. We're talking over half a decade(probably closer to a full one) for developers to max it out. It's shortsighted to just say that 4.5 or even 5.5 is enough for 8 years.

Here's the deal...somewhat. From a dev at one of the biggest in the industry. Just a messenger here.

Dev still a little cagey to give out 100% concrete numbers unfortunately like I was previously told, so I apologize ahead of time that they're not as detailed, but these are supposed to be the closest to detailed info I get on the OS footprint:

-At most, the OS uses 1.5GB, with a good amount of that helping the HD recording feature and on the fly switching/ multi tasking
-4.5GB is indeed about what's available for devs at present.
-1GB is set aside for futureproofing OS operations down the line.
-1GB for developer reserve, should they need it

And finally as an important point, I'm being told the faster RAM in the PS4 does in fact make a huge difference.

Sounds logical and typical for a Sony launch.

JaggedSac

At the end of the day, reserving 3 gigs of ram, 2 CPU cores and x% of GPU and CPU power for the operating system only gimps an already weak console.

I think Microsoft said 10% of the GPU was allocated for the OS, I wonder how much Sony is allocating?

These consoles need a "game mode" with all the bull shit turned off and all resources allocated to gaming

Is Sony reserving any computational resources for the OS or multitasking stuff? Has there been any info?

SgtCobra

Holy fucking shit at the people cancelling their pre orders, wow I've read things like this in story books but I've never seen something like this happen IRL.
Also, #TeamVerendus

McLovin

Welp, thanks for nothing Sony.

gamecube_level_bomba.jpg
LoL!!

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
This is a good data point. 1.5GB or less for the actual OS. Sony is reserving 1GB for the future "just in case", that can be freed up for games if needed. Another 1GB is already reserved for developers if they need it, otherwise it get used by the OS.

The huge performance difference of GDDR5 only helps :D

Of course, this is one data point. I'm sure we will get more in the future.

The 1GB for futureproofing is exclusively for the OS. It has to be because the OS may require that memory in, say, 5 years when it gets updated with new features. They can't have devs making games that would step over that memory space.

glenn8

Banned
Ask yourself this, why would you need it for the X1? Have you booted up windows 8 or 7 lately? Tell me what the OS footprint is when you launch it.

Right now on my system, with Steam up, Firefox up with 9 tabs, Baldurs Gate minimized, PS3 Media Server running, IE10 running with 6 tabs, my Footprint is 3GB(16GB my total memory).

Top offenders in memory are:
Firefox 730meg
Java 684meg
IE 412meg
Steam 90.7

My system usually starts up taking about 1.3GB.. This is a PC, thus not a closed system.

futuramafry.jpg

Interesting... Internet Explorer is open with Firefox too...
Why is IE open anyway? Interesting, interesting

NSA, ITS THE NSA

I hope someone is keeping everyones posts that show they have canceled their preorders so when GT7,U4 etc... comes out and they post saying how much they love it this can be thrown back in their face.

So dumb...

Yeah, no...

Obviously I am over-exaggerating, but I just think it is silly on both ends either Xbox fans saying "Well the Eurogamer article says it so obviously it is true." or PS fans saying "Well famousmortimer is denying it so obviously it is false." Are there people on GAF that have some actual connections that would know about these things? Absolutely. I am sure people at Eurogamer does too, I just think taking either side as the end all be all answer right now is silly.

evolution

Damn, thats a lot of ram left on the table. I guess its better to be safe than sorry. I hope Sony is planning on actually using it for something eventually.

Crisco

Banned
I could be wrong here but I don't think anyone is disputing that 4.5GB of RAM will be more than enough for games for the foreseeable future.

I think a good bit of the "anger" is coming from a sentiment that Sony withheld this information even though they knew what was being said around many sites was incorrect. Hearing someone say "your product will have 7GB of RAM for games" and knowing that isn't correct but not saying anything to correct them is pretty much you smiling and nodding as if you are confirming what they said is correct.

Yeah, and the Xbox One has "infinite power". Don't be so naive, this isn't anyone's first rodeo.

Well, still can't give out too much info on that one apparently. Supposedly can be "called back" from dev tools. The bottom line is that it's there if required.

So it's 4.5GB + 1 GB from devs tools if devs want it making it 5.5 GB at launch
1.5 GB for OS right now along with 1GB for the future .
I knew devs would not take advantage of the ram early on but boy is sony being greedy at launch \ first year .

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Devs 'calling back' 1Gb if needed suggests the OS can use that, but if games need it then the OS might just need to reload some stuff from the HDD

Which suggests the OS 'needs' 1.5Gb but can 'use' 2.5GB

DieH@rd

Banned
So here is a theory that I have heard. Note, this is not insider information. A friend who is a developer, not on consoles or PlayStation mind, thinks that the new devkits probably ship with 8GB GDDR5 but the developer tools probably take up 2-3GB on there, leaving addressable RAM at just 5GB. He said the problem is that the APU bus is 256bit which won't allow for more than 8GB RAM until 8Gbit chips are available.

He thinks that the current SDK probably does have 3.5GB reserved for for the OS functions and development tools, but when the next set of kits ship they will have 12GB of RAM and the full 7GB will be addressable.

This is very plausible. Memory controller is fixed [placed inside of the APU], so they can create devkit with more than 8GB of RAM only when 1GB chips arrive [not soon].

VanWinkle

Agree, MS was crucified for this same thing a few weeks ago. Now Sony does it and now it's all decent conversation and reason.

When it was MS it was all hahaha and MS sux posts.

Because the RAM is already slow on the XB1. This isn't a good thing, but it's also not ad bad as XB1's situation.

Minigo

I love how certain developers have commented that Sony might have gone overkill in RAM; and GAF members have suddenly graduated into the realm of managing software companies. Bravo GAF.

So devs won't need more RAM that what it is now given to them? like never during the next console cycle?

apana

As I understand it this kind of stuff is common at console launches. Things get overhyped or misinterpreted and a lot of the fandom takes the news and runs with it. That's why most of us who have been here before took all the numbers with a grain of salt.

It'll turn out much like this generation with multiplatform games looking much the same but with only a handful of ps4 games showcasing its small tech advantage over Xbox One.

We'll see what multiplatform games look like on both consoles, PS4 should have no problem winning all comparisons simply from having superior hardware in every category.

IN&OUT

Banned
Because I am paying 399.99 for 8gigs and to have almost half wasted on features I don't want is not good. I don't see it any different than MS forcing Kinect on gamers. There is nothing but bloat that could explain that much ram usage by the OS/features. I think most of us could understand starting at 2gigs for that stuff and moving it down but 3.5 is mind boggling. That is as more ram than a full fledged OS desktop uses.

You can't be serious ?

Have you ever developed a game?
Since when console price are based of RAM available to games?

Some people just create the weirdist excuses!

Orayn

With the potential recording stuff, I should mention that there's no reason it would all be in RAM. They could use a larger than normal buffer to ensure smooth recording, but the hard drive is more than fast enough for them to keep it there.

Top Bottom