• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2007

Sean

Banned
manxor said:
Too bad Rock Band is so damn expensive though. I'm sure if more gamers had a chance with it, it would've been in the top 10.

It was close enough, #11 and lost by only 112 votes.

Borys

Banned
AniHawk said:
They aren't exclusive, so I put them in with the multiplatform thing list thing.

Last year, TP was multiplatform because it was on the GC and Wii (hold your jokes, I know, I know), so instead Wii Sports won for the Wii-specific awards, and I Baten Kaitos Origins won for Gamecube.

Gotcha.

Tremendous good job on the list BTW. Thanks for counting and formatting it!

AniHawk

Borys said:
Gotcha.

Tremendous good job on the list BTW. Thanks for counting and formatting it!

Thanks.

...Not sure if I'll be able to do this again next year. Every year there are more and more people, and I have less and less time.

Tieno

I have played/finished or am playing 9 of the top 10 games. Only one I haven't touched is COD4. Rest either started playing (Uncharted, Super Mario Galaxy) or finished. Will probably rent COD4 somewhere next year.
Also have 8 out those 10 games. (don't have God of War II and COD4)

Dragmire

While I'm sure that, in a way, this list is a reaction to other GOTY lists and games that got shafted, I wonder which site was most in line with GAF's choices. Because that site would win the internet (and I'd be interested to see how they match up next year).

lexi

Banned
YAY GO ORANGE BOX

A Well deserved runner-up to the unstoppable Mario Galaxy. The real fight was always for 2nd place.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
2004 GOTY - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 613
2005 GOTY - Resident Evil 4 - 1565
2006 GOTY - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 2990
2007 GOTY - Super Mario Galaxy - 5862

MisterHero

I wonder if GAF thread sizes reflect in the GotY votes. If there's any link Smash Bros. Brawl should steam-roll the competition. Maybe not. Let's wait and see. :lol

Tieno

MisterHero said:
I wonder if GAF thread sizes reflect in the GotY votes. If there's any link Smash Bros. Brawl should steam-roll the competition. Maybe not. Let's wait and see. :lol
Also depends on how devided a userbase is.

Xavien

MisterHero said:

I don't think so, otherwise Halo 3 would be 2007 GOTY by a landslide (2nd largest thread on GAF an' all).

Yoboman

Windu said:
2005 GOTY - Resident Evil 4 - 1565
2006 GOTY - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 2990
2007 GOTY - Super Mario Galaxy - 5862
We've grown so much

Wow out of the top 20 I only missed out on one of those titles (And I own about 17 of those). Great to see SMG win, glad to see PW place in the top 20, would have placed higher if two PW games didn't come out in the same year. By the looks of it more Gaffers need to get their hands on Z&W.

Anyways great job GAF, best list of the year, and great work Anihawk must have taken a shitload of freetime from you.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That sounds like a discussion in and of itself. Anyway, nice list, nice awards thread, excellent job for the most part. Not flawless though, unless the awards ceremony isn't over yet, I can't help but notice the big time omission of awards for the various digital downloadable sectors.

AniHawk said:
Thanks.

...Not sure if I'll be able to do this again next year. Every year there are more and more people, and I have less and less time.

I'll gladly help out next year if you would like, but for now, you're doing an incredible job.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
How does it make you feel that 8/10 of the Top Games are Western, and only 2 are Japanese.

HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEEEEEL

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
McBacon said:
How does it make you feel that 8/10 of the Top Games are Western, and only 2 are Japanese.

HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEEEEEL

I can live with it, never understood that whole mindset anyway, a good game is a good game regardless of origin.

Tain

Tremendous work on the list. I can't imagine organizing something like that.

Virtua Fighter 5 should have done way better. You people are crazy. At least Space Giraffe was in the top 100. Pac-Man CE and Contra 4 did pretty well, too. Trackmania United barely snuck in the top 100, but I guess the series is gaining recognition.

bycha

Good list NeoGAF. But. Buy PS3 and Uncharted with it. Seriously, 7th place is not the right place for best action/adventure game ever.

CassSept

Uncharted didn't live up to it's name on GAF :(
Awesome job Ani, normal mortals would go insane while counting all the votes.
Overall, best GOTY list in whole internetz (well, duh), and SMG really did deserve top spot.

MY GAME OF THE YEAR
well it would of been had it not sucked
lair-art-big.jpg

Greg

God of War II deserves more credit.

Great job on the list and putting things together - damn great year for gamers!

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Finally, a GOTY list I can agree with.

It's good to see Metroid Prime 3 didn't get ignored like it did on 90% of other lists.

Zack & Wiki, Contra 4, and Hotel Dusk all did reasonably well, too.

GAF has good taste. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised.

Wes

venison crêpe
Wow incredibly close for the number 2 spot. Good to see Supreme Commander win something too!

Yoboman

bycha said:
Good list NeoGAF. But. Buy PS3 and Uncharted with it. Seriously, 7th place is not the right place for best action/adventure game ever.
7th is as high as it deserves considering the competition

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Windu said:
Explains why a game like MGS won it that year.

Anyways, Yea!!! Witcher atleast wins PC game of the year.

And people seriously already complaining about Uncharted at 7th?

shintoki said:

'Cause it's an awesome game...

Anth

Looks good to me. PC exclusives are too low because too few gaffers have decent gaming rigs, and niche titles like MotB that only two people ever played got shafted, but generally, it's a pretty good list.

Yoboman

shintoki said:

MGS3 would've and should've won regardless

Top Bottom