• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2007

Yoboman

Sharp said:
Spore is almost undoubtedly going to be my GotY next year, but GAF are not PC gamers and few of them seem to enjoy Wright's style of gameplay, so I doubt it'll rank as high as it should. LBP would probably have a better chance if there weren't so many other awesome PS3 games next year.
1. It won't be a very high-requirement game
2. It's also coming to Wii :)

Amir0x

Banned
Sharp said:
Summer of 2008
knock on wood
! When it comes out I'm hoping to not really have to buy games anymore though.

Yeah knock on wood indeed. I've been following that game so long, I've almost exhausted my pre-hype for it. Now I just sorta want it to arrive.

Amir0x said:
Yeah knock on wood indeed. I've been following that game so long, I've almost exhausted my pre-hype for it. Now I just sorta want it to arrive.

Unfortunately, I can't see Spore as a 2008 release. :(

But yea, devs need to stop with the 2 year long hype machine. Announce games a year before they come out at most. Just look at FFXIII, its hype is getting killed because it was announced too early.

Sharp

Yoboman said:
1. It won't be a very high-requirement game
2. It's also coming to Wii :)
Oh, right, I forgot. Given point 1 I have no idea why anyone would want to buy it on Wii vs. PC, but this is GAF.

Yoboman

The Crimson Blur said:
Dude, they aren't even out yet. You have no idea whether SSBB will be a higher quality game than MGS4. SSBB has greater fanservice for sure, but it also has a shitload of quality. If it won, it wouldn't be because people were blinded by fanservice, it would be because it was the best game of 2008.

People need to stop calling GAF biased. We might all have our favorites, but somehow we managed to make a respectable list didn't we? Go GAF.
They're hardly comparable, but if you want to MGS4 will be better by a great deal

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
yeah right!

All Smash games suck, people get enjoyment from wanking to Peach kicking Samus ass sure but quality wise better chance of PS3 suddenly rocketing past DS in Japan than Smash being a good fighting game.

I recall certain opinions about yours regarding Mario Galaxy.

If one can be so blatantly wrong about Game of the Forever (the infinite glory of which is self-evident), then your opinions on all matters requiring more perception (such as fighting games you probably played once at a friends' house) are clearly invalid.

Sharp

Crushed said:

If one can be so blatantly wrong about Game of the Forever (the infinite glory of which is self-evident), then your opinions on all matters requiring more perception (such as fighting games you probably played once at a friends' house) are clearly invalid.
Yeah but this is Smash. Come on, guys, I enjoy it as much as the next dude but trying to compare it to a game like MGS4 is completely ridiculous. I think a comparison to Halo 3 would be more warranted, to be honest, since the perceived value is predicated on an embarrassment of bonus features and extra content rather than atmosphere, innovation or attention to detail.

zoku88

Guys, even if MGS4 is the better game, you have to take into account the population of Wii owners vs the population of PS3 owners. I don't think it really stands that much of a chance for GOTY

Amir0x

Banned
Crushed said:

I'm not sure you do recall my opinions on Mario Galaxy, based on what you wrote here. So that probably renders the rest of your attempt to defend the honor of the ultra shallow Smash series rather hollow.

Edit:
For the record, I'm sure Smash'll be grand for Nintendo fanatics, after all it has all the makings of what they tend to love. It's filled to the brim with Nintendo wankery, while simultaneously stripping a storied genre of anything that could possibly cause them to consider their tactics for more than five seconds. Lest they be overwhelmed by buttons and strategy! It's basically the wiimote of fighting games.

Edit2: Whoops, time to head out for New Years. Happy New Years!

Deku

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
If anything, the sales of the titles in the OP, along with the critical reception, has guaranteed the increase in number of FPS will only go up from here. Everyone wants to be the next Halo/Bioshock/CoD4. If that means we get more AAA shooters though, it's worth it. We'll just have to sift through more crap to find them.

I think the complaint about it is that not everyone wants to play these kinds of games, even if they are good. I agree the glut is going to get worse before it gets better.

AniHawk

Hey guys, can we keep this SSBB bitching to another thread? There's gonna be enough time to speculate about this shit during the next year. Thanks.

AniHawk said:
Hey guys, can we keep this SSBB bitching to another thread? There's gonna be enough time to speculate about this shit during the next year. Thanks.

I am having a hard time letting Amirox's statements slide but you're right.

Oh, btw GAF, ty for putting the Witcher as the best PC game of the year. Well done fellas, well done. I played it after I voted, and I felt guilty that it wasn't on my list ever since. Thanks for redeeming me.

GhaleonEB

Deku said:
I think the complaint about it is that not everyone wants to play these kinds of games, even if they are good. I agree the glut is going to get worse before it gets better.
Well, they don't have to then. While the top of the list is loaded with shooters, the rest of top 20 has music, action, adventure, RPG, racing and platforming games. If the shooting genre expansion was having a noticeable impact on the number great games in other areas, I think it would be cause for concern. Who knows, maybe it will go in that direction. But this year at least, even with all the shooters that came out, we had a great year in every other genre as well.
Grecco said:
LOL. Because its from Nintendo amirite?
I will honor Anihawk's request. :p

Uncle AJ

That "SSBB will be released too early for it to matter in the GOTY votes" argument doesn't fly - Resident Evil 4 ran away with the vote in 2005, and it was released in January.

Orange Box beat Bioshock and Halo 3 beat CoD4. This list doesn't suck.

That "SSBB will be released too early for it to matter in the GOTY votes" argument doesn't fly - Resident Evil 4 ran away with the vote in 2005, and it was released in January.
Burning Crusade is pretty much the best expansion pack ever released yet nobody even thinks its a 2007 game.

Also: Strike the DS off of Puzzle Quest. It's an extremely buggy, unbalanced pile of crap. I assure you anybody voting for the game was not voting for that version.

Another Also: CoD4 is a filthy, disgusting stealth game and should be counted as such.

Fredescu

Son of Godzilla said:
Orange Box beat Bioshock and Halo 3 beat CoD4. This list doesn't suck.
Might as well call them both a tie.

Son of Godzilla said:
Burning Crusade is pretty much the best expansion pack ever released yet nobody even thinks its a 2007 game.
It was a horrible guild splitting pile of shit in a genre whose fans tend not to play other games, and therefore have their own communities. It would be unusual for an MMORPG to get any major accolades on a place like GAF.

Son of Godzilla said:
Also: Strike the DS off of Puzzle Quest. It's an extremely buggy, unbalanced pile of crap. I assure you anybody voting for the game was not voting for that version.
I leveled two characters to 50 on the DS version and saw it crash once. The only mildly annoying thing was starting with the same puzzle every time after turning it on. I wish they enabled the D Pad for bumpy commutes too, but apart from that it's fine. Unbalanced? It's no different in that respect to other versions.

Son of Godzilla said:
Another Also: CoD4 is a filthy, disgusting stealth game and should be counted as such.
It gets most votes for the multiplayer which is most assuredly an FPS.

0.5/4

youravatar.gif

Except not. Even if they are absurdly close, ranking matters.

It was a horrible guild splitting pile of shit
Eh, not really. The raid change was known months in advance, and the strengthening of non-30 complete strangers activities more than made up for it.

I leveled two characters to 50 on the DS version and saw it crash once. The only mildly annoying thing was starting with the same puzzle every time after turning it on. I wish they enabled the D Pad for bumpy commutes too, but apart from that it's fine. Unbalanced? It's no different in that respect to other versions.
So, apart from the areas where it's a buggy piece of crap it's not a buggy piece of crap? I haven't played the DS version in ages, but I'm pretty damn certain there's alot more care gone into the XBLA (Which is based off PC?) version, more restrictions on autowin combos.

It gets most votes for the multiplayer which is most assuredly an FPS.
FPS is a system for controlling your viewpoint. It's still a stealth game.

Fredescu

Son of Godzilla said:
Eh, not really. The raid change was known months in advance, and the strengthening of non-30 complete strangers activities more than made up for it.
The lockouts on 10 man content and reducing the raid cap to 25 were horrible horrible decisions. Sure there were probably millions of people on their tenth level 60 whose minds were starved of new content to whom a new expansion was like a downpour in the desert, but best expansion of all time? It wouldn't even be top 3 within it's own genre, and it took two years!

Son of Godzilla said:
So, apart from the areas where it's a buggy piece of crap it's not a buggy piece of crap? I haven't played the DS version in ages, but I'm pretty damn certain there's alot more care gone into the XBLA (Which is based off PC?) version, more restrictions on autowin combos.
It's nowhere near as unplayable as you made it out to be, as if no one that played it could consider it a good game. Everything was based on the PC version. The PC demo was out before anything else.

Son of Godzilla said:
FPS is a system for controlling your viewpoint. It's still a stealth game.
It's really not.

Fredescu said:
The lockouts on 10 man content and reducing the raid cap to 25 were horrible horrible decisions. Sure there were probably millions of people on their tenth level 60 whose minds were starved of new content to whom a new expansion was like a downpour in the desert, but best expansion of all time? It wouldn't even be top 3 within it's own genre, and it took two years!

Well, to be honest, I'm in a strange position regarding TBC. I agree that the endgame was a complete fucking mess initially even beyond the 25 man change even if the leveling content was incredible. I myself went as far as cancelling towards the end feburary because of how big a mess it was.

But what I came back to around September is damn close to perfection. Does the game deserve credit for eventually getting it right? I'd say it does, if only because theres really no other way for including it.

And CoD is as much a stealth game as you make of it.

Mar

Kuroyume said:
83. Space Giraffe - 60

out of 301+ games

Nice GAF :)

It got my 10 points!

Incredible GOTY list as always. GAF delivers once again. Thanks Ani for all your hard work.

Shame Bioshock didn't hold on to number 2 but Orange Box deserves all the credit it gets. I haven't even played EP 1 or 2 yet so who knows, I might even like it more than Bioshock when all is said and done.

I love the fact I was the only person to vote for Jericho. It's a horrible game but a horrible game that I loved for reasons I find hard to explain. I certainly didn't expect anyone else to vote for it and was secretly hoping I'd be the only one, for more reasons I find hard to explain. Maybe I'm just weird.

Crackdown winning action game of the year is excellent. Some of these games got a bit of a free ride with being released so close to the voting time. But Crackdown had to be something special to linger in people's minds and it seems it has done just that.

Yoboman

Oblivion said:
Why not? They're not too far from each other on GR.
Smash Bros 80.2
and
Melee 89.9

vs.

MGS - 93.5
MGS2 - 94.8
MGS3 - 91.5 (and 93.0 for Sub)

That's a large gap. Especially between MGS2 and Melee which were released in the same year

AniHawk

Fredescu said:

Before the last page, they were tied, and I hunted down that image for TOB at last minute to put alongside an image from Bioshock.

I didn't expect TOB to do that. It was down by over 100 points.

xbhaskarx

The wisdom of the crowds in action. GAF comes up with the best 2007 GOTY list, congratulations everyone.
It was nice to see 8 of my 10 made the top 11. That top 11 is really quite an impressive list...

xbhaskarx

Hopefully developers see this list and how high Crackdown placed, and we get many more games like it in the future (but without some of the flaws).

Yoboman

xbhaskarx said:
Hopefully developers see this list and how high Crackdown placed, and we get many more games like it in the future (but without some of the flaws).
We already are. Prototype and InFamous

You could count Mercenaries too maybe

Fredescu

AniHawk said:
Before the last page, they were tied, and I hunted down that image for TOB at last minute to put alongside an image from Bioshock.

I didn't expect TOB to do that. It was down by over 100 points.
Amazing. Sensational even ;)

Wollan

Goty 2008 will most likely be MGS4. Do you know what emotional roller coaster you are in for with that title? It's going to be absolutely meltdown crazy for folks who have followed the story. It's an emotional impact ten years in the making (discounting the 8 bit versions). MGS4 will result in man tears.

The other super strong goty 08 contenders will most likely be: GTA4, Resistance 2, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Killzone 2, GT5, LBP & StarCraft 2.

Amir0x

Banned
Wollan said:
Goty 2008 will most likely be MGS4. Do you know what emotional roller coaster you are in for with that title? It's going to be absolutely meltdown crazy for folks who have followed the story. It's an emotional impact ten years in the making (discounting the 8 bit versions). MGS4 will result in man tears.

The other super strong goty 08 contenders will most likely be: GTA4, Resistance 2, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Killzone 2, GT5, LBP & StarCraft 2.

Do YOU know the emotional rollercoaster you're in for? I don't think so, seeing as how none of us have played it. For all we know, every emotional note in MGS4 will fall totally short and be laughable at best!

guise

Justice for Crackdown! OB should have been #1 (and yes i have played SMG) but 2nd place is no shoddy position either

Bah, this list reeks of crass fanboyism triumphing over reason. Mario Galaxy over Bioshock? Halo over Call of Duty? Preposterous. That said, I do appreciate the love that Crackdown and God of War II got. I personally don't think this top ten is as good as some of the others out there though.

Amir0x

Banned
monkspider said:
Bah, this list reeks of crass fanboyism triumphing over reason. Mario Galaxy over Bioshock? Halo over Call of Duty? Preposterous. That said, I do appreciate the love that Crackdown and God of War II got. I personally don't think this top ten is as good as some of the others out there though.

Do you really think it's "preposterous" that Super Mario Galaxy triumphed over Bioshock? And if so, why?

guise

I absolutely loved Mario 64, and hadn't even played a console FPS (since the N64 days) up until Bioshock and I think Bioshock was a much better game then Galaxy - and that is after not enjoying the Bioshock demo very much either.

Fair enough I am only basing this on my limited playtime of Galaxy, but being 30 stars it just hasnt captivated me like the older Mario's or Bioshock did - right from the get-go.

But hey, I went and bought Bioshock mainly because of the GAF love, and even though im not seeing why Galaxy is GOTY at the moment, its still fun so maybe my opinion will change as i play more.

Top Bottom