• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2007

Amir0x said:
Seems even PS3 fans have a reason to be happy... Uncharted was ignored on almost every list this year :lol

If by "almost every" you mean "Gamespot," sure.

PS - Awesome list, thxmuch AniHawk...

Bishman

GAF > All the video game critics's GOTYs

I have no complaints about the list. A lot of good games came out this year. Such a great year to be a gamer. And I'm real glad that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption didn't get snubbed and got the attention and credit it deserved. GAF IS THE BEST!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
AltogetherAndrews said:
Metroid received a higher ranking than Crysis for FPS of the year. GAFers need better computers.

oh jesus christ you probably haven't even played Metroid

Participation in the GOTY votes has gone up drastically every year. I can't imagine Anihawk being comfortable doing this for another year...we need to make an automated system. Great job though, Anihawk, I respect your patience.

Oh, and gj GAF, excellent list. The quality of the lists gets better every year. I utterly disagree with the 2004 list--Half Life 2 is worse than Halo 2?--but, I agree with everything about the other lists. I think 2004 had too little participation, and it was the first time for a GAF GOTY list, so I forgive GAF for now.

Wtf at the 2 point victory for the orange box. Just tie it! And a 4 point victory for Halo 3 over Call of Duty 4? Wow.

The Crimson Blur said:
Participation in the GOTY votes has gone up drastically every year. I can't imagine Anihawk being comfortable doing this for another year...we need to make an automated system.

Don't worry, I'm on it. :D

Yoboman

Yoboman said:
It's a ten hour SP game. I'm surprised it got that high. And I think the only reason is because it's really the only killer app exclusive PS3 got this year
How come I just got banned for this, then unbanned straight away (and my tag removed)?o_O

I mean, I wasn't trolling, I'm one of the biggest PS3 fans here

So the game of the year has been a Wii exclusive every year since the system was released. Hmm. . .

Unless you count the GameCube TP

Ganondorfo

Great list, nice work anihawk

Another nintendo victory it seems (after zelda tp the year before).

Next year will be more exciting between super smash bros brawl, metal gear solid 4 and gta 4 (with these games I mean the very big games, offcourse there will be other surprising amazing games, like bioshock and uncharted this year).

Yoboman

Ganondorfo said:
Great list, nice work anihawk

Another nintendo victory it seems (after zelda tp the year before).

Next year will be more exciting between super smash bros brawl, metal gear solid 4 and gta 4 (with these games I mean the very big games, offcourse there will be other surprising amazing games, like bioshock and uncharted this year).
Unless something goes drastically wrong, MGS4 should run away with it. Even with a Starcraft and a GTA as competition

Gekkonidae said:
So the game of the year has been a Wii exclusive every year since the system was released. Hmm. . .

Unless you count the GameCube TP

There are 2 Wii games on the this year's top 10. There were also 2 Wii games in 2006's list (and 2 DS games). There was one GC game in the 2005 list, and it was also on PS2 (along with a GBA game and 2 DS games). I don't see bias here.

GhaleonEB

Cheesemeister said:
Yes, enough with the glut of FPS games already.
If anything, the sales of the titles in the OP, along with the critical reception, has guaranteed the increase in number of FPS will only go up from here. Everyone wants to be the next Halo/Bioshock/CoD4. If that means we get more AAA shooters though, it's worth it. We'll just have to sift through more crap to find them.
Yoboman said:
True. But I don't think it'll be the overall GOTY
Oh yes it will. Bank on it.

Eteric Rice

Yoboman said:
True. But I don't think it'll be the overall GOTY

You'd be surprised.

GhaleonEB said:
If anything, the sales of the titles in the OP, along with the critical reception, has guaranteed the increase in number of FPS will only go up from here. Everyone wants to be the next Halo/Bioshock/CoD4. If that means we get more AAA shooters though, it's worth it. We'll just have to sift through more crap to find them.

This truth makes me a sad panda. :(

Oh well, eventually someone will make something awesome in another genre, and it'll all switch around again.

Yoboman

GhaleonEB said:

Oh yes it will. Bank on it.
If thread replies were anything to go by, Halo 3 would've been a shoe-in. And Uncharted would be runner-up

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
2007gafGoty.JPG

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Awesome job Anihawk

But I'm confounded on how Phantom Hourglass got so many votes, especially considering the backlash. I guess gamers must have not played many games this year

Darunia said:
oh jesus christ you probably haven't even played Metroid

Hey, I'm not commenting on overall quality. But if you honestly think Metroid has anything on Crysis as an FPS, then you're some kind of crazy. I understand why it's not on the list though; few people actually got to play the game, and I'd imagine some were even scared away by the steep system requirements. Contrary to popular belief, Crysis is not just looks and no substance, it's damned near the only game in the genre to actually push the envelope of the genre and do it well.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The Crimson Blur said:
Have you seen the SSBB thread? Yea, gl MGS4, GAF loves Smash.

I'm the 9th biggest poster in the Smash thread and I seriously doubt Smash will be my GOTY next year or anywhere near.

Amir0x

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
I'm the 9th biggest poster in the Smash thread and I seriously doubt Smash will be my GOTY next year or anywhere near.

Don't doubt it. Too much fanservice in that heap of crap, undoubtedly will win. Blinded by the smell of jizz in Sonic's fur.

Next year, the list will start from 2 on down :D

Yoboman

Heck, it's not like MGS4 is not going to be the most drool-worthy MGS fan service of all time either. I'm sure if MGS4 had a weekly update thread that remained unlocked it would get humungous too :p

Amir0x

Banned
Yoboman said:
Heck, it's not like MGS4 is not going to be the most drool-worthy MGS fan service of all time either. I'm sure if MGS4 had a weekly update thread that remained unlocked it would get humungous too :p

You're actually comparing Snake fanservice to Nintendo fanservice?

You obviously don't live in reality.

Not to mention, Smash Bros. even has its OWN Snake fanservice :lol

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:

I was about to mention that. :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
AltogetherAndrews said:
Hey, I'm not commenting on overall quality. But if you honestly think Metroid has anything on Crysis as an FPS, then you're some kind of crazy. I understand why it's not on the list though; few people actually got to play the game, and I'd imagine some were even scared away by the steep system requirements. Contrary to popular belief, Crysis is not just looks and no substance, it's damned near the only game in the genre to actually push the envelope of the genre and do it well.

It's just the knee jerk reaction of putting these 2 titles against each other. I don't see the S part of FPS in Prime that much... Exploration and adventure is still a bigger part of the gameplay than the rest. Crysis appears to be an amazing game, but why put MP3 against it? First of all, the Prime games have proven themselves as an incredible series in their own right, and second of all the 'versus' here is a bit contrived imo. Crysis wants to push the envelope of the shooter genre like you said, Metroid wants to close up an awesome trilogy by doing what it does best, and that's not being the best FPS ever.

Yoboman

Amir0x said:

Do you think Melee would've won GOTY on GAF back in 01?

And you're comparing Snake in Brawl to MGS4 :-\

Darunia said:
It's just the knee jerk reaction of putting these 2 titles against each other. I don't see the S part of FPS in Prime that much... Exploration and adventure is still a bigger part of the gameplay than the rest. Crysis appears to be an amazing game, but why put MP3 against it? First of all, the Prime games have proven themselves as an incredible series in their own right, and second of all the 'versus' here is a bit contrived imo. Crysis wants to push the envelope of the shooter genre like you said, Metroid wants to close up an awesome trilogy by doing what it does best, and that's not being the best FPS ever.

Er, the only reason I'm mentioning it is because it (Metroid) ranks as one of the best FPS of the year, and Crysis doesn't. I didn't just randomly pick an argument here, you know. I could have used COD4 and still have an argument, but Metroid is a good deal more striking, for the reasons you yourself mention. I'm not saying anything about which is the best game, but I do know which game dwarfs the other as a first person shooter.

squicken

Yoboman said:
Do you think Melee would've won GOTY on GAF back in 01?

And you're comparing Snake in Brawl to MGS4 :-\

Dude, SSBB is going to win. I'd bet my account on it, which is an admittedly weak ban bet. Ninty fans always defend the realm.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
AltogetherAndrews said:
Er, the only reason I'm mentioning it is because it (Metroid) ranks as one of the best FPS of the year, and Crysis doesn't. I didn't just randomly pick an argument here, you know. I could have used COD4 and still have an argument, but Metroid is a good deal more striking, for the reasons you yourself mention. I'm not saying anything about which is the best game, but I do know which game dwarfs the other as a first person shooter.

Yeah I know it's in the FPS category, and my main beef is with that. There have probably been countless arguments here over whether MP is FPS/other so let my view on that be known

Yoboman

Amir0x said:
I don't know GAF back in 01. But in 08, yeah, it's gonna win.
I'm not saying you're wrong. But if you want to see quality winning over fan service, just look at Bioshock beating Halo 3 this year

I think be will be utterly blown away by MGS4, even moreso than MGS3. Which also won GOTY here and with the rabid Sony diehard here it'll be like Uncharted x 10.

And Smash has the unfortunate disadvantage of being released early in the year. So pure hype-mania isn't going to cut it. It'll have to be the best game of the year or damn well close.

Also I think Spore and Little Big Planet are some worthy wildcards too if they deliver.

Amir0x

Banned
Yoboman said:
I'm not saying you're wrong. But if you want to see quality winning over fan service, just look at Bioshock beating Halo 3 this year

I think be will be utterly blown away by MGS4, even moreso than MGS3. Which also won GOTY here and with the rabid Sony diehard here it'll be like Uncharted x 10.

And Smash has the unfortunate disadvantage of being released early in the year. So pure hype-mania isn't going to cut it. It'll have to be the best game of the year or damn well close.

Also I think Spore and Little Big Planet are some worthy wildcards too if they deliver.

It will be the best game of the year for these freaks.

Oblivion said:
Well, MGS4 won for best trailer last year over SSBB, so...

Well yeah, they're Metal Gear TRAILERS. The MGS2 trailer was one of the most memorable moments of last gen too. Everyone waits for them. Some would argue they're a more memorable event than the games themselves! :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yoboman said:

SSBB is the biggest game for the Wii next year, so I don't think it will be forgotten. Of course, it MAY have some votes cannabilized by Mario Kart.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
You know, guys, this might sound kooky, but... if either SSBB or MGS4 win, it might be because they're good games out of which people derived enjoyment and fun, not because of fanboy populations and hype calculated using some kind of bizarre internet algebra.

Yoboman

Amir0x said:
It will be the best game of the year for these freaks.

Well yeah, they're Metal Gear TRAILERS. The MGS2 trailer was one of the most memorable moments of last gen too. Everyone waits for them. Some would argue they're a more memorable event than the games themselves! :lol
We'll see, I'm just saying to not count your chickens before they hatch

Amir0x

Banned
Crushed said:
You know, guys, this might sound kooky, but... if either SSBB or MGS4 win, it might be because they're good games out of which people derived enjoyment and fun, not out of fanboys calculated using some kind of bizarre internet algebra.

yeah right!

All Smash games suck, people get enjoyment from wanking to Peach kicking Samus ass sure but quality wise better chance of PS3 suddenly rocketing past DS in Japan than Smash being a good fighting game.

Sharp

Yoboman said:

Spore is almost undoubtedly going to be my GotY next year, but GAF are not PC gamers and few of them seem to enjoy Wright's style of gameplay, so I doubt it'll rank as high as it should. LBP would probably have a better chance if there weren't so many other awesome PS3 games next year.

Amir0x

Banned
Sharp said:
Spore is almost undoubtedly going to be my GotY next year, but GAF are not PC gamers and few of them seem to enjoy Wright's style of gameplay, so I doubt it'll rank as high as it should. LBP would probably have a better chance if there weren't so many other awesome PS3 games next year.

Is Spore actually going to make it out next year? Seems like it's been in development for eternity.

Yoboman said:
if you want to see quality winning over fan service

Dude, they aren't even out yet. You have no idea whether SSBB will be a higher quality game than MGS4. SSBB has greater fanservice for sure, but it also has a shitload of quality. If it won, it wouldn't be because people were blinded by fanservice, it would be because it was the best game of 2008.

People need to stop calling GAF biased. We might all have our favorites, but somehow we managed to make a respectable list didn't we? Go GAF.

Sharp

Amir0x said:
Is Spore actually going to make it out next year? Seems like it's been in development for eternity.
Summer of 2008
knock on wood
! When it comes out I'm hoping to not really have to buy games anymore though.

Top Bottom