• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| Legend of Gacha: The Whale Waker (free-to-play action RPG)

SSfox

FpQKUw3XoAAMMQm

Saber

I hope those fine folks remember their posts for when the next survey comes around. Probably best to wait until after the character is released so the complaints aren't based on leaks though. I'm pretty sure MHY believes their characters are fine, but people just don't fully understand them because of those pesky leaks.

They already notice MHY are doing false marketing to fool people who don't read current state of leaks. Actual damage numbers are hidden, something that didn't happened to Nahida for instance.

Last edited:
Wish I could have seen this thread before the mods pruned all of the controversial comments. Cowards.

Goes to show you what an "official" sub with MHY sponsored mods vs. a fansub looks like as far as moderation goes.

I'm sure that frustratingly for MHY, the Honkai Impact fansub is the largest one and they haven't been able to bend it to their will.

*edit*

Dehyamains sub gets what I'm talking about:

*edit2*

Found someone that screenshotted the comments removed by mods. Yep, pretty much anything critical of Dehya over there is being memory holed.
FpREUtnXoAAmxb-

Fake

Impressive what a company can do to their own community.

Here we can talk good and shit all day. Now imagine taking this action and at the same time shitting over countries with authority. Talking about double standarts.

They already notice MHY are doing false marketing to fool people who don't read current state of leaks. Actual damage numbers are hidden, something that didn't happened to Nahida for instance.
Yeah I saw that, a good sign for sure. Since MHY is going so far as to censor reddit they must be at least somewhat aware of the reaction to Dehya. At least that's something, though I doubt it's gonna be enough to change anything about her at this point.

Crimsondusk

Neo Member
Ya, this situation with Deyha sucks but I'm also wondering about how ya'll felt about that racist lamp character they added in the recent world quest and how mihoyo aren't that great when dealing with these kinda things.

Fake

MYH is not great doing a lot of things, so I don't buy the conspirancy route.
Not my line of discussion. Is like calling Square Enix racist because they 'intentional' make Forspoken flop.

Last edited:
I had to look this up as I haven't started the quest yet.

Minor spoilers:
There's a new character who is an ancient spirit bound to a lamp. Being from a different time, she assumes Jeht is the Traveller's slave (because of their skin tones) and says things like "The only loyal desert-dweller is one whose shoulders have been pierced by iron loops." The apparent issue with this is that the player can't tell the lamp it is racist and Paimon only tells it to "Stop being mean!" which obviously isn't enough for some folks.

Naturally I don't think this is an issue at all. Racism is a part of Genshin's story in Sumeru and it has constantly been shown as a negative thing. People seem way too sensitive about these issues.

Fuz

Minor spoilers:
There's a new character who is an ancient spirit bound to a lamp. Being from a different time, she assumes Jeht is the Traveller's slave (because of their skin tones) and says things like "The only loyal desert-dweller is one whose shoulders have been pierced by iron loops." The apparent issue with this is that the player can't tell the lamp it is racist and Paimon only tells it to "Stop being mean!" which obviously isn't enough for some folks.

Naturally I don't think this is an issue at all. Racism is a part of Genshin's story in Sumeru and it has constantly been shown as a negative thing. People seem way too sensitive about these issues.
...that's fucking stupid.

I've done that quest and I never thought there could have been an ounce of racism.
Wokes still desperately trying to find something to be offended about.

Fake

I've done that quest and I never thought there could have been an ounce of racism.

Is so strange how those people can find a needle in the middle of the desert.

I played load of quests in Genshin Impact and never noticed that in particular.

Crimsondusk

Neo Member

Mmmmmhhhhh sry to InterMusketeer since I assumed all of ya'll have finish it. I just started.
Just started the quest with Jeht to find the eternal oasis. Along the way, you find a Jinni that assumes you are someone important and proceed to talk a lot of shit to Jeht and the eremites. Stop after the campsite scene.

Pejo

Ya, this situation with Deyha sucks but I'm also wondering about how ya'll felt about that racist lamp character they added in the recent world quest and how mihoyo aren't that great when dealing with these kinda things.
After reading InterMusketeer InterMusketeer 's synopsis, this sounds like it's there to be part of the narrative/lore of Sumeru, not because MHY themselves are racist and are trying to paint it as a good thing. They aren't trying to say it's the way that it should be and 'normal', it's showing the differences/similarities between times from the past to today. Like you wouldn't call Roots a racist movie just for showcasing slavery.

Mondstadt also had a history of slavery of the lower class, but other than Vanessa (the hero that actually ended up saving everyone), they were all pale skinned, from the manga.

I haven't played the quest yet either though, so maybe I'm wrong.

I think that while it's easy to see that CN media values lighter/paler skin as a beauty standard, I think more likely this is gaining traction just to highlight how pretty much all of the darker skinned characters are not great, which is true. It's also a hail mary for a lot of people to try to get them to reconsider Dehya's kit though, something they feel that they can latch on to that would be a strong enough argument to get MHY to actually budge on it.

On the other hand, you can say that MHY isn't racist and it's just a coincidence all you'd like, but it's hard for the racially charged western world to not be a bit suspicious when literally every darker skinned character doesn't meet the usefulness of over 90% of the lighter skinned cast. Just from an optics standpoint they probably should have picked up on this in any one of the character design phases. Makes me wonder if they really do have no idea how a character will function in the actual game until they release and autistic theorycrafters do their work for them.

I wouldn't even mind if that was the way it was handled, if they actually made performance adjustments after character release to fix the truly bad characters. The problem is that no matter how bad a character is at release, they seem to be extremely gunshy about providing adjustments. Once for Zhongli, a few bug fixes otherwise and even one of those met with backlash when they basically killed Yae's AoE Electro application.

Saber

After reading InterMusketeer InterMusketeer 's synopsis, this sounds like it's there to be part of the narrative/lore of Sumeru, not because MHY themselves are racist and are trying to paint it as a good thing. They aren't trying to say it's the way that it should be and 'normal', it's showing the differences/similarities between times from the past to today. Like you wouldn't call Roots a racist movie just for showcasing slavery.

Mondstadt also had a history of slavery of the lower class, but other than Vanessa (the hero that actually ended up saving everyone), they were all pale skinned, from the manga.

I haven't played the quest yet either though, so maybe I'm wrong.

I think that while it's easy to see that CN media values lighter/paler skin as a beauty standard, I think more likely this is gaining traction just to highlight how pretty much all of the darker skinned characters are not great, which is true. It's also a hail mary for a lot of people to try to get them to reconsider Dehya's kit though, something they feel that they can latch on to that would be a strong enough argument to get MHY to actually budge on it.

On the other hand, you can say that MHY isn't racist and it's just a coincidence all you'd like, but it's hard for the racially charged western world to not be a bit suspicious when literally every darker skinned character doesn't meet the usefulness of over 90% of the lighter skinned cast. Just from an optics standpoint they probably should have picked up on this in any one of the character design phases. Makes me wonder if they really do have no idea how a character will function in the actual game until they release and autistic theorycrafters do their work for them.

I wouldn't even mind if that was the way it was handled, if they actually made performance adjustments after character release to fix the truly bad characters. The problem is that no matter how bad a character is at release, they seem to be extremely gunshy about providing adjustments. Once for Zhongli, a few bug fixes otherwise and even one of those met with backlash when they basically killed Yae's AoE Electro application.

I was already discussing that with my brother.
I honestly doesn't want anything to do with this social moronic woke stuff. Like, its absolutelly retarded.

But at same time we already can draw conclusion that MHY did that to Dehya on purpose. Remember that not long ago they would be willing to release a 5-star character with HP ascention that does not have HP scaling at all until you get a C2. There are clear signs that they did unnecessary disservice with her for absolute no particular reason. Ok, she has low scalings, but theres no reason to release a mess of kit that could be even be acceptable with heavy tunning. Like, low energy cost for her "DPS burst" or low cooldown for her skill that doesn't even activates well? Wouldn't be a fix but it would at least maker her less terrible and its completelly easy to change. Also nothing stops them from use copy+paste on Fichlz Oz mechanic, even with low scales that would be still more usefull.

So yeah, even though I don't want anything to do with this demented hunt I'm not gonna defend them either. Sincerelly hope that escalates and they take heavy losses, maybe this teaches them to not do bad kits on purpose. Dehya certainly did not deserve this.

Last edited:

Pejo

I mean that their darker character is way lighter than me.

Wait, am I a protected minority? Do I get some special privileges now?
Well to be fair, I did say "darkER", not that they're going much further than that. Anyways, I said my piece on their "racial issues", that's all I'm going to say about it. Genshin is one of the few escapes from reality that I enjoy, don't want to shit that up with real world bs.

Gonna lighten the mood a bit with some high-tier Babel fanart.

Just wanted to respond to this.

Three banner phases sounds great to me. Yes, sometimes you get the thing you want on the very last day, and it does decrease the time you have to save up primos, but I think it's worth missing out sometimes to pick up the pace. We've got so much stuff to get through that some characters don't get their rerun for an entire year. That's way too long and it'll only get longer.

I'm also completely fine with MHY expanding the roster of standard 5 stars, but they should make their intentions clear from the start when the character is first shown. If we had known Dehya was gonna be a standard 5 star from her very first appearance, none of this would have happened. But they got people excited for her by constantly involving her in important quests so we could all get excited for her, and then they just drop this bomb at the very last moment. That's the part that feels manipulative and exploitative. Well, that and the fact her kit sucks ass, of course.

Pejo

95.7% CR/208.1% CD vs 74.7% CR/257.1% CD?

About 5-6k less damage with the lower CD for the elemental skill damage.
I think 1:3 was considered the perfect ratio math-wise. so the 2nd.

Just wanted to respond to this.

Three banner phases sounds great to me. Yes, sometimes you get the thing you want on the very last day, and it does decrease the time you have to save up primos, but I think it's worth missing out sometimes to pick up the pace. We've got so much stuff to get through that some characters don't get their rerun for an entire year. That's way too long and it'll only get longer.
Yea I was hoping they'd start to give us selectable 5*s around 4.0 too. It needs to happen eventually, and in my opinion it shouldn't happen for ONLY standard banner characters. Eula/Shenhe not rerunning for over a year each was a good example of why there just aren't enough banners.

I wonder if they're going to make a new currency for this though. Either they're going to have to make a secondary currency for rerun banners, OR start moving 5*s to standard on a set schedule and give more blue wishes. Maybe increase general primogem distribution (but I doubt this one because it eats into their revenue). I'd also accept it if you could do a time-gated long-term farm for older 5* characters constellation materials. Something like farm a new currency that you can cash in for certain characters' stella fortuna in limited amounts, maybe resetting every 6 months or so. Give us something long term to grind because right now we have nothing. I think billets/prototypes were supposed to be the long term farm goal but then they made almost all craftable weapons after 1.0 suck donkey nuts.

Well, I guess they can also just give us the same amount of resources and not cut us any slack, but even the most stingy companies usually start to bend a little when a game reaches 4-5 years old. Especially considering we'll have what, like 80 characters by then?
I'm also completely fine with MHY expanding the roster of standard 5 stars, but they should make their intentions clear from the start when the character is first shown. If we had known Dehya was gonna be a standard 5 star from her very first appearance, none of this would have happened. But they got people excited for her by constantly involving her in important quests so we could all get excited for her, and then they just drop this bomb at the very last moment. That's the part that feels manipulative and exploitative. Well, that and the fact her kit sucks ass, of course.
It's fine if they move more characters to standard, but there needs to be something to go along with it. Whether it's setting a path like weapon banner, using a new currency, giving more blue wishes, etc. Diluting the pool and moving a bunch of old unused 5*s to that banner (Klee, Albedo, Venti, Childe, etc) doesn't really help anybody. It just means they won't get any featured banners again in the future and any new players will have to just try their luck at standard banner if they want any of those characters. Honkai can't really be used as an example here, because they've always had character fragments to farm to power them up instead of Constellations. So unless they use my currency idea from above, there's no way to let players slowly grind for old characters.

Dehya, yea, she just got a raw deal all the way around. I would have even had less of an issue if they literally swapped her and Tiggy. Like make her the 3.0 character that goes to standard, announce it up front, no time to build up expectations.

Last edited:

ssringo

Regardless of adding characters to standard they need to up the amount of blue wishes you get. Nobody spends for standard banner outside maybe a few pulls when you're at pity. It's a waste. Everybody just stockpiles for limited.

Giving players the chance to toss more pulls at standard would help with that dopamine hit of pulling for something. Even as a (not really) newer player it kinda sucks seeing my account completely stagnate for weeks to months waiting to pull on limited banners and even longer for standard.

Fuz

Regardless of adding characters to standard they need to up the amount of blue wishes you get. Nobody spends for standard banner outside maybe a few pulls when you're at pity. It's a waste. Everybody just stockpiles for limited.

Giving players the chance to toss more pulls at standard would help with that dopamine hit of pulling for something. Even as a (not really) newer player it kinda sucks seeing my account completely stagnate for weeks to months waiting to pull on limited banners and even longer for standard.
It's what ToF does.

crumbs

Interesting site that shows the pre-release versions of characters before they got censored/changed for their individual releases.

I like the leggings of release Rosaria but wish she had the PLOT from pre-release.

[/URL]
I didn't participate in any betas, so that site has some interesting info, thanks for posting it. There's more early character designs if you navigate to the others closed and developer betas.

Seems like there was an across the board effort to change underwear to be less revealing. I knew about the infamous Ayaka change, but it appears that Mona, Fischl, and Ganyu (1.3 beta) also had more of their asses covered when moving from their beta appearance to release.

There were also more weapon changes that I expected: Ganyu & Sara both switched from catalyst to bow, Yoimiya went from polearm to bow.

In terms of elements, it was also interesting to see Xingqiu was initially cryo over hydro.

There were also different hydro and cryo artifact sets in the beta. I wonder what caused them to delay and change those sets for v1.2?

I could only find one example of the changes resulting in a more revealing design : "Mei" in the 1.3 beta is more modestly dressed versus the final release of the Shogun.

Last edited:

Fake

Played the BETA day one on PS4. I miss that period of tine when MYH take feedback serious.

I was like sending video and more video. They did fixed some performance issues when the game launch on base PS4.

Now joining the beta program is just for dip market and nothing more.

Pejo

Seems like there was an across the board effort to change underwear to be less revealing. I knew about the infamous Ayaka change, but it appears that Mona, Fischl, and Ganyu (1.3 beta) also had more of their asses covered when moving from their beta appearance to release.
Kinda crazy that a few years in I'm praying for the female characters to only be at Ganyu/Fischl level of censorship. Now we have swaddled diaper ass on everybody and deleted shaders so you can't see any contours of their entire lower body.

Pejo

SYP, one of the biggest talking heads in the english leaker community weighs in on Dehya and her situation:

There are several posts in the chain. Too bad I still don't think this will gather enough steam to make MHY acknowledge anything about her. Nice to see some of the """famous""" community people talk about it in a level headed way though, instead of just white knighting MHY or ignoring it.

Pejo

By the way, any of you Americas server guys not planning on rolling Dehya? I need to steal some Pupas while I'm pre-farming.

Fake

Total skip for me. My focus will be either Hydro Claymore or Nilou rerun.

BTW, I tried abyss 12 floor and jez, sponge enemies everywhere. The bird and the scorpio are so bad design enemies. If this type of enemies are the future of this game I getting fuck out.
They are immune of everything. What the fun of fightning those type of enemies?

Last edited:

Saber

By the way, any of you Americas server guys not planning on rolling Dehya? I need to steal some Pupas while I'm pre-farming.

I'm playing alot less these days because this game became a massive boringness and repetitive area/enemies/events. If you ever see me logged, you can warp to my world with no worries.
Though...I didn't even touched the new area. Is that the place you gonna farm? If so thats a problem

You going for Nilou cons?

I've been thinking about maybe pulling for Eula, but I think I'll get a copy of Nilou and then just save the rest for Fontaine. Even if everything else sucks, they can't possible screw up the hydro archon, right? Time for another C6 perhaps.

BTW, I tried abyss 12 floor and jez, sponge enemies everywhere. The bird and the scorpio are so bad design enemies. If this type of enemies are the future of this game I getting fuck out.
Yeah they are damage sponges and RNG too. Just gotta hope they put their weird seed thing on the field and that you can destroy it in time to incapacitate them.

Fake

You going for Nilou cons?

I've been thinking about maybe pulling for Eula, but I think I'll get a copy of Nilou and then just save the rest for Fontaine. Even if everything else sucks, they can't possible screw up the hydro archon, right? Time for another C6 perhaps.

Yeap. Her first con increase her hydro cut in 60%. Mix Nilou with Xingu and Yelan make a huge hydro comp damage.
I used her on abyss and kinda impressed with this comb syenergy.
And I don't think they can screw the Archon build. Nahida did an amazing number, so its up with them. I guess money speaks volume.
Yeah they are damage sponges and RNG too. Just gotta hope they put their weird seed thing on the field and that you can destroy it in time to incapacitate them.

I know that abyss foes have a huge amount of health, but if you mix that with boss that are immune to everything the game stop being fun. I like use everything I got for nothing.
They're immune to frozen, immune a claymore and keep repositioning everytime, so bursts that leave a totem are useless.
Whats the fun on that? This kind of boss totally destroy the pupouse of elemental reaction. Even Elemental Cubes are more fun than this shit.
MYH should reconsider doing those kind of enemies.

Last edited:

crumbs

You're welcome to mine, I've already farmed them for Alhaitham and won't be pulling for Deyha. I haven't been spending much time with GI the last week or so, just knocking out dailies around 8-9pm Eastern time. I've 100%'d the new area, so all the waypoints are unlocked.

You can always start a 2nd account for farming. ;)

I have American accounts but not sure how reliable I can be for being available for co-op.

Apparently, those enemies drop an energy block that disappears quickly. Use an elemental attack that matches the element of the monster/block to destroy that block of energy and you'll do more damage to the monster.

There's an electro scorpion guarding serpent's head now too for some reason.

Top Bottom