• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got Vista and a DX10 Graphics card, play Lost Planet now!

Icarus

Nah, it supports a ton of resolutions, features, on/off/low/med/high, etc. It's pretty scalable from the look of it.

All of those are in the PC settings area (two tabs to the right in it is the video stuff).

I was missing a couple DLLs but a DirectX reinstall put any missing files in place.

Hit MS's DX page for the latest DirectX

KingJ2002

pxleyes said:
Does the game only run under a 720p style resolution??

yep

but i was playing on 1600x1000 reso... very sharp... the pirate fortress level looks amazing. I turned on everything at max and got 30fps on that akrid level... the snowstorm makes it work... i just bumped thr AA down to 4x and upped the resolution and the game rarely dipped under 60.

very beautiful... but i dont think ill pick it up... this keyboard and mouse setup blows.

Nif

Just tried it again. My settings were mostly low, Trilinear filtering, texture resolution medium and model quality high. It had me in 1024x576, but I lowered it to 800x496 so it runs a bit smoother. Motion blur's off, but I might try to turn it on after some tinkering.

Upgrading to the latest nvidia drivers helped me out a bit. One thing I noticed when using 1024 was that I kept getting the "Your machine is sucks" message whenever something exploded. I think it's because my hard drive is pretty slow and (I'm guessing) couldn't pull up the resources fast enough. When an explosion occured, it'd choke a bit and lower my framerate so much that the game would give me the message.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
I noticed that just by adjusting the motion blur there's a giant framerate increase.

Been playing it with the 360 controller hooked up and it's a blast.

KingJ2002 said:
yep

but i was playing on 1600x1000 reso... very sharp... the pirate fortress level looks amazing. I turned on everything at max and got 30fps on that akrid level... the snowstorm makes it work... i just bumped thr AA down to 4x and upped the resolution and the game rarely dipped under 60.

very beautiful... but i dont think ill pick it up... this keyboard and mouse setup blows.

Buy a 360 controller...

Ran the performance test (I jacked up all the graphical settings in the options if it makes any difference for the test):

lpdemo.png

I've got my 4300 @ 3 GHZ and the 7900GS @ 560/773 core/mem. Pretty taxing game. I'm pretty sure I'll be taking advantage of EVGA's step up program once the 90th day is close (~ day 20 now) and get an 8800GTS ...

lips

wow, my oc'ed gts card gets a 30 fps. Must be hard to run. Wait, frames just dropped to 25, well at least the release will coincide with 8900 release. :lol

Defcon

Banned
Something is ****ed with my drivers I think. I'm only getting 60 FPS on the HL2 Lost Coast benchmark and now this in Lost Planet.

lpbenchec9.jpg

That's with everything on high, but I should be getting higher than that. Also, the game won't allow my native resolution of 1400x900.

Getting the DX9 version, since I don't have Vista. Can't fracking wait. I loved the game on 360 and I'll love it again.

EDIT> DLed the demo in 8 minutes.

I ran it with a AMD64 3700+, 2GB, 8800GTS 320mb, I played the DX10 version at 1280x960 with all settings but Shadows (which were on default/medium) on high, with 4XAA/AF and got an average of 40 on the Snow, but 15 on Cave (yowza). Probably linked to my sluggish CPU.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yikes, it runs like crap on my PC. First game I've encountered that really needs a new PC in order to run (not that I'd buy this as I already own it on XBOX). When I crank up the details, I actually get a warning saying that my PC does not meet the minimum requirements for smooth performance and asks me to drop some details. :p

Lince

Banned
this game will eat any new hardware and software improvement you can throw at your computer, I mean the engine benefits from multicore, multiGPU, DX10... I guess this is an early performance preview for Devil May Cry 4 PC too (and that's a 60 fps game)

bee

well played it now quite a lot, xp dx9 version the benchmark works fine but i play the game and about 5 secs after the first big monster pops up from under the snow pc freezes and needs to be hard rebooted so i cant really say how that version is.

dx10 version on vista however works flawlessly , which surprised me as i'd of thought it would of been the other way round if anything, anyway what can i say its smooth, looks great but the game is so so, was so long ago that i played the demo on 360 that i cant really compare them i guess the pc version looks better but not by much.

if its the standard £17.99 in the uk i'll probably pick it up any higher and i'll get it on ebay after a month or 2.

dark10x

Lince said:
this game will eat any new hardware and software improvement you can throw at your computer, I mean the engine benefits from multicore, multiGPU, DX10... I guess this is an early performance preview for Devil May Cry 4 PC too (and that's a 60 fps game)
DMC4 is going to require a MONSTER computer if you want to run it at 60 fps with full detail.

dark10x

I really have to wonder, though...

If we are seeing such poor performance on fairly high-end PCs with something like this, imagine what Crysis will do to those machines.

I think people are underestimating the results being produced by 360 and PS3. The machines are capable of some impressive feats.

syllogism

dark10x said:

If we are seeing such poor performance on fairly high-end PCs with something like this, imagine what Crysis will do to those machines.

I think people are underestimating the results being produced by 360 and PS3. The machines are capable of some impressive feats.

Perhaps, but it's hard to say what detail levels consoles are running Lost Planet at. Certainly not with every setting available on the PC version maxed. With more mature DX10 drivers and some further Capcom optimization the performance will certainly improve. Even as it is, I can play it in 1600x1200 in dx9 mode with almost everything maxed and still maintain 30+ fps average. Oblivion on the other hand runs very well with a 7800-level gpu, though I suppose you could turn it around and say it didn't properly utilize 360/PS3.

As for Crysis, we've seen it run well in its "full glory" on current highend systems, which is all you can really ask for.

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:

Don't be such a party crasher dark.

Firstly some people here are running LP at resolutions and settings that would make 360 crawl @ 2-3 fps.

Secondly Crysis is a game coded specifically for PCs. Lost Planet is a console port. HUGE difference here. You should know better - remember 95% of other console to PC ports (like MGS2 for example)?

Izzy

Banned
Hmmmm, I have 8800 GTX and I don't want to upgrade to Vista, but with this and Call of Juarez patch coming I just might.

BTW, just an advice - don't buy 8800 GTS, buy 8800 GTX. It's more expensive, but it's worth it. :D

dark10x said:

That they are, both next-gen systems are very good machines and putting out some seriously nice visuals. I'm actually just glad that the PC can keep up as well as it has and still be a good target platform with the 360 and PS3 for multiplatform next-gen games.

My PC is a great gaming PC but isn't super high end (3.2ghz Core 2, 8800GTS) and has no problems getting great framerates with AA and AF on in Lost Planet. That being said, I really don't like the gameplay very much. Way too console for my tastes.

dark10x

syllogism said:
Perhaps, but it's hard to say what detail levels consoles are running Lost Planet at. Certainly not with every setting available on the PC version maxed. With more mature DX10 drivers and some further Capcom optimization the performance will certainly improve. Even as it is, I can play it in 1600x1200 in dx9 mode with almost everything maxed and still maintain 30+ fps average. Oblivion on the other hand runs very well with a 7800-level gpu, though I suppose you could turn it around and say it didn't properly utilize 360/PS3.

As for Crysis, we've seen it run well in its "full glory" on current highend systems, which is all you can really ask for.
It seems to me that the 360 version of Lost Planet matches the PC version at maximum detail in nearly every way. Those recent comparisons pics demonstrated very few differences (improved footprints in the snow was about the only visible difference). The 360 version lacks AF, however, but does use AA. It's also limited to 720p.

My PC is a great gaming PC but isn't super high end (3.2ghz Core 2, 8800GTS) and has no problems getting great framerates with AA and AF on in Lost Planet.
What kind of framerates are you seeing? I'd say you're PC is certainly in the upper tier, though.

How as the loading? It was still very quick on the PC, but it was certainly longer than on 360. There is an additional white bar that appears after "Now Loading" that adds a bit of time to it.

Still, reading all of this has me convinced that I should avoid upgrading to a new PC until sometime in 2008. The latest hardware just doesn't seem up to the task of running the latest games comfortably. Outside of Lost Planet (which I own), there hasn't been a single PC game that my current machine could not handle well so I'm in no hurry. I'd rather spend that money on a new 8th gen Pioneer plasma. :)

bee

dark10x said:

hmm im averaging about 45fps on vista dx10 and its smooth as silk it bottoms out around 25fps which is also still smooth so i wouldnt say it was poor performance, after all its running 4xaa and 16xaf doubt the 360 version was running that, what framerate did the 360 run at 30 or 60? and yeah someone made that point about it being a port which i think has a huge bearing on the possible performance of the game.

syllogism

dark10x said:
It seems to me that the 360 version of Lost Planet matches the PC version at maximum detail in nearly every way. Those recent comparisons pics demonstrated very few differences (improved footprints in the snow was about the only visible difference). The 360 version lacks AF, however, but does use AA. It's also limited to 720p.

The difference between medium and high detail settings in Lost Planet is often barely noticable, but it's still quite a strain, especially hdr/shadows. We don't need comparison pictures to know differences unless you think Capcom's own statements aren't reliable. They claim lightning, shadows, particle effects and textures have all been improved over the Xbox 360 version, of course I presume some of those require the DX10 version.

edit: are you saying the 360 version had shorter loading times?

dark10x said:

Yeah, the difference is definitely minimal.

What kind of framerates are you seeing? I'd say you're PC is certainly in the upper tier, though.

How as the loading? It was still very quick on the PC, but it was certainly longer than on 360. There is an additional white bar that appears after "Now Loading" that adds a bit of time to it.

Framerates are at or near 60 (I run vsync on/triple buffering) most of the time with occasional dips into the 40s. Loading is lightning fast, I didn't even notice it.

Still, reading all of this has me convinced that I should avoid upgrading to a new PC until sometime in 2008. The latest hardware just doesn't seem up to the task of running the latest games comfortably. Outside of Lost Planet (which I own), there hasn't been a single PC game that my current machine could not handle well so I'm in no hurry. I'd rather spend that money on a new 8th gen Pioneer plasma. :)

Yeah this generation of video cards is sort of borked. I don't blame anyone for putting off upgrades at this point in time.

dark10x

syllogism said:
The difference between medium and high detail settings in Lost Planet is often barely noticable, but it's still quite a strain, especially hdr/shadows. We don't need comparison pictures to know differences unless you think Capcom's own statements aren't reliable. They claim lightning, shadows, particle effects and textures have all been improved over the Xbox 360 version, of course I presume some of those require the DX10 version.

edit: are you saying the 360 version had shorter loading times?
Capcom issued comparison shots.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6092563&postcount=274

There were ultra high resolution comparisons as well (not sure of their location). There is clearly a difference, but it's nothing huge. Still, it sounds like Frag is seeing great performance so perhaps things are better off than I had gathered from this thread.

Crypto

Banned
On my PC / 360 the 360 version loads in less than 1/10th the time... Seriously, on my 360 it takes a few seconds, on my PC it's more like 30...

syllogism

dark10x said:

There were ultra high resolution comparisons as well (not sure of their location). There is clearly a difference, but it's nothing huge. Still, it sounds like Frag is seeing great performance so perhaps things are better off than I had gathered from this thread.

I've seen the shots, and my point is while the differences aren't huge, the performance hit for enabling for example high quality shadows is rather considerable. Certainly to match and surpass 360's performance you need a high-end system, Capcom did good job at utilizing 360's strengths.

As I said, Frag isn't the only one with good performance since I'm able to run it in 1600x1200 and everything but shadows/hdr maxed and 4xAA, 16xAF. Admitedly if I cared about the game itself I would probably play it at 1280x960 to keep the minimum framerate well above 30.

dark10x said:

To be fair, I run a tight ship on my PC (regular, scheduled defrags and rifraff scans/sweeps) and have my GTS overlocked to just before the point of artifacting.

I should try it on my wife's machine with a seven-series geforce and single core Athlon64 and see what kind of numbers I get there.

Rur0ni

RavenFox said:
Okay just a question. Do any of you guys run SLI? I mean this game will only benefit from a good sli rig.
nVidia actually enabled DX10 SLI with the release of this demo according to the new driver release on nzone.

Rur0ni

Alrighty, downloaded with steam, and got it to work.

E4300 @ 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR1066
8800GTX Stock
x64 XP

Extremely Playable. High Settings.. 4xAA 16xAF.

pxleyes

Banned
Izzy said:
Hmmmm, I have 8800 GTX and I don't want to upgrade to Vista, but with this and Call of Juarez patch coming I just might.

BTW, just an advice - don't buy 8800 GTS, buy 8800 GTX. It's more expensive, but it's worth it. :D

you keep telling yourself that, and I'll go spend my extra 300 elsewhere.

Izzy said:

I would have, but it wouldn't fit in my case, and I like my case and didn't want to replace it.

Borys

Banned
Amazing how dark10x tried to (I forgot the proper word) black PR the power of high-end PCs in this very thread. Most people remember him as the "60fps guy" I always remember him as Half-Life 2 whiner (along with Dr_Cogent).

Look dark10x, if games such as HL2 or LP demo run SHITTY on your GF6800 it does not mean they run shitty on every one else's PCs.

I really had it with you. First attacking HL2 (while praising Halo 2), then F.E.A.R. now LP PC. You don't like PC gaming, it doesn;t suit you - fine, but don't spray that negativity on others.

/rant

everyone, its called optimization coding and drivers..

It doesnt matter if your PC is amazing or not its a matter if the game is OPTIMIZED for it. the best rig could run a game like crap if the game isnt coded or optimized for it

Borys said:
You don't like PC gaming, it doesn;t suit you - fine, but don't spray that negativity on others.

/rant

Woah there, I wouldn't say that or go that far. He does like his console gaming but he enjoys the PC as a gaming platform too, unless he's changed recently or something.

This statement is pretty bullshit though:

The latest hardware just doesn't seem up to the task of running the latest games comfortably.

Newer hardware runs games great. The 8800 series in particular is a BEAST when running DX9 games, which make up the huge majority of all new releases. Also, today's sub-$200 CPUs are no slouch-not even the processor demolishing Supreme Commander can consume both cores of a overclocked Core 2 Duo in its processing routines.

Crypto

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
yea i got that too...what is that shit? 360 controller mandatory?

Certainly isn't, demo works fine here and I only have wireless 360 controllers which I haven't used with my comp at all.

If you are missing DLLs then you don't have the latest DirectX updates-they are updated usually every month. Has nothing to do with needing a controller-XINPUT is just a new way that input devices can be handled in later versions of DirectX.

Borys said:
Don't be such a party crasher dark.

Firstly some people here are running LP at resolutions and settings that would make 360 crawl @ 2-3 fps.

Secondly Crysis is a game coded specifically for PCs. Lost Planet is a console port. HUGE difference here. You should know better - remember 95% of other console to PC ports (like MGS2 for example)?

Borys you are wrong here. :) Capcom's framework engine has it's roots in PC development. Capcom ports the game from PC to Xbox 360 or PS3.

Sanjay

intel e6600 (3.4ghz Core 2, 8800GTS 320mb, 2gig ram) vista

average 28 snow
average 39 cave

res 1920by1200, High Settings.. 0xAA 16xAF.

res that high from a distance AA is not really needed.

Top Bottom