• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Reggie really been accepted at Nintendo Japan?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
9458319.jpg

OMG REGGIE IS BLACK

Teddman

In a way, this is a valid question. Now that I think about it, I don't remember there being many African American exec-level people in consoles companies. Certainly can't think of another at Nintendo.

In any case, the issue of whether there still remains racial prejudice within Japanese corporate culture is worth discussing. I'd guess that there is, at least compared to the U.S. I'm genuinely curious to hear from those who are more in the know and have been on the videogame industry scene in Japan...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Teddman said:
In a way, this is a valid question. Now that I think about it, I don't remember there being many African American exec-level people in consoles companies. Certainly can't think of another at Nintendo.

In any case, the issue of whether there still remains racial prejudice within Japanese corporate culture is worth discussing. I'd guess that there is, at least compared to the U.S. I'm genuinely curious to hear from those who are more in the know and have been on the videogame industry scene in Japan...

FINALLY somebody who gets it! I'm glad you were able to discern the sarcastic bullshit in my post away from what was a semi serious question. And your post expands on that quite well. Thanks Tedd :)

aoi tsuki

On that note, does anyone have links to the case brought against Nintendo? i remember there was a black guy who said that blacks never got promoted into high-level management positions. Wasn't there also another group that complained about racism, or am i thinking of another company.

FightyF

Banned
I think Reggie is Latino..but I could be wrong.

I've always thought that Nintendo were secretly racist. They had some N64 ads that had stereotypical East Indians on there...plus they offended Jews with a swastika on a Pokemon card. Then they offend Muslims with a Star of David look-alike on another Pokemon Card. Horrible track record if you ask me.

MaddenNFL64

Fight for Freeform said:

I've always thought that Nintendo were secretly racist. They had some N64 ads that had stereotypical East Indians on there...plus they offended Jews with a swastika on a Pokemon card. Then they offend Muslims with a Star of David look-alike on another Pokemon Card. Horrible track record if you ask me.

:lol

I know, just horrible.

neo2046

I have no idea about Japanese's attitude to Reggie
I only find that Japanese like to use that IGN editors' excited pic very much :D

aoi tsuki

Fight for Freeform said:

By swastika do you mean the manji? It's a backwards swastika that predates the "official" swastika by centuries IIRC, and it's meant to bring good luck and supposedly was a secret symbol of Japanese Christianity.

aoi tsuki said:
By swastika do you mean the manji? It's a backwards swastika that predates the "official" swastika by centuries IIRC, and it's meant to bring good luck and supposedly was a secret symbol of Japanese Christianity.

It's also on every map in Japan as the ideogram to mark the location of a shrine. I'm convinced Fight for Freedom was just being really sarcastic, though.

aoi tsuki

JackFrost2012 said:
It's also on every map in Japan as the ideogram to mark the location of a shrine. I'm convinced Fight for Freedom was just being really sarcastic, though.
It's late and i've been drinking, so i can't be sure. Also, a lot of people think the manji is the swastika, or that hold some similar connotation.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Where's Blackace anyway? I haven't seen him post lately. Black give the GAF a holla dawg!"

we just got caught in the typhoon in aki.
I'm sure he's going to be in a fantastic mood !!!

Say, has Ichiro been accepted by the Americans yet? I mean, that little yellow monkey anime reading tenticle rape prostitute with the tiny penis?

MaddenNFL64

DCharlie said:
Say, has Ichiro been accepted by the Americans yet? I mean, that little yellow monkey anime reading tenticle rape prostitute with the tiny penis?

Actually, yeah he has. By most anyway.

DCharlie

"Actually it was a manji but it still caused an uproar with Jewish groups."

That's because they are manjinas.

DCharlie

"Oh man, that's a TERRIBLE pun. Tell Kevin to check his PMs!!"

come now, we've seen worse. :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Teddman said:
The worst thing about it is that it's two pages and nobody has even tried to address the question, which is a provocative one.

no, it really, really isn't. It's a stupid one.

Ill Saint

When I was in Tokyo, I went through an area (Suburb, whatever it's called over there) where there appeared to be a large, or at least rather concentrated area populated by black people.

I was only in Japan a week, so I am ignorant as to whether this is a known area (like a Chinatown equivelent) or of I got the wrong impression etc.

Teddman

Technically it's not the worst thread ever though, not by a long shot. Anyway, a thread isn't just its first post, it's what the replies make it too.

It could be a springboard for an interesting discussion about how race is dealt with in Japanese corporate culture, something I'm curious about. Is there really as much prejudice as is asserted in this reply?
MaddenNFL64 said:
I don't know. In Japan, he is probably joked about as a big dumb ape, or something. Like that big black guy, who is a K1 fighter. They treat him like a gorilla. Here, sure we make fun of his big stature, and such, but I bet the guy gets total respect at NOA.

That's how Japan is still. They're so homogenized, that they rarely have a chance to meet & see real people from different cultures & races.

miyuru

isamu, you have to be joking. You're attempts at humour aren't very funny...

Either that, or you're like, insanely ignorant/fucking retarded.

Ill Saint said:
When I was in Tokyo, I went through an area (Suburb, whatever it's called over there) where there appeared to be a large, or at least rather concentrated area populated by black people.

Me too. And nothing is as jarring as seeing a bunch of urban black youths hanging out in a subway station and jive-talking in Japanese. Seriously, it's the greatest thing ever. I wanted to just hang out and stare at them for a while, but I was afraid I'd get my ass kicked by the whole Reggie-look-alike lot of 'em.

Ill Saint

Isamu's surely taking the piss. He's having one giant laugh at the forum, I reckon (or hope, rather).

Me too. And nothing is as jarring as seeing a bunch of urban black youths hanging out in a subway station and jive-talking in Japanese. Seriously, it's the greatest thing ever. I wanted to just hang out and stare at them for a while, but I was afraid I'd get my ass kicked by the whole Reggie-look-alike lot of 'em.

Oooh, so it wasn't just some freak occurance. Cool... maybe some peeps living over there can detail more.

MaddenNFL64

Here's a website I just found that gives pretty recent statistics on foreigners living in Japan

http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/japan/international/q6.html

It seems that almost 40% of all foreigners (non-japanese) living there are Korean, though all foreigners living there total to about 1.6 million, which is out of about 120 million I think.

So, the 99% Japanese figure I heard years ago is still probably true.

To contrast that, I think the U.S is about 40% non-white/foreign, out of over 300 million.

EDIT: I checked out census.gov, and it's closer to 30%, but we're still the most ethnically diverse nation in the world. 40 mil Hispanic origin (includes white/nonwhite), 35 mil black, and around 20 mil of Arab/Asian/Nat. Amer./Polynesian/Mixed races.

XS+

Banned
The 99% figure is probably accurate but not evenly distributed, ie. the foreign population in a major Japanese city is way larger than 1%.

G4life98

This is quite possibly the most retarded thread i have ever seen on GAF...seriously this is almost opa-age level shit.

El Papa

I guarantee you there is racial prejudice at NCL, however, it depends on who is in charge as to how for it will go, and how much Reggie understands NCL culture and vice versa. I'm a non- asian with many asian friends, mostly Chinese and Taiwanese, and I can tell you first hand that most foriegn born asians (non-American) hold a prejudice against black/latino individuals. However, once they become familiar with you and if they see that you understand their culture, although you may dissagree with some aspects of it, they become very accepting of you and may even look up to you. I believe that Reggie's situation can become the same. The open-minded at Nintendo see his skills and disregard his ethnicity as a factor. Even the more traditional minds at NCL, once they see how good of a job he's doing and how skilled he is, will see him as an asset to the company and not threat as an outsider, even though they may never think of him as "one of them" (I'm talking about the older generation, they will never look at him as an equal, though I wouldn't be suprised if Yamauchi looks past the racial issue because he's a man of business). This isn't a knock on anyone and I think that GAFfers should try and understand that different cultures look at others differently, it's just the way it is. Most people here have been brought up in a very accepting society, be it racial, religious or other, but not every culture is like that, especially some asian cultures. This questions is QUITE valid and this thread is in now way stupid or over the top. You people that are saying that need to understand that the rest of the world may think differently than we do in America, wether right or wrong. Believe me, I feel it every day.

edit: sp due to high beer intake

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Reggie is black? Does it even matter? The second they give him an odd look the man will kick their ass and take their names.

I love Reggie, the man's skintone/religion/what have you never even entered my mind. His talents as a motivator and a representative of the company far outshadows an racial tension or prejudice. Atleast I would like to think so.

I think NCL has better things to do than worry about the ethnicity of NOA's latest PR mouthpiece. I doubt they know he exists, much less that he's a minority.

WHY AM I POSTING IN THIS THREAD?!

Blackace, come lock this shit down.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
^^^^^ IAWTP

The stupid part of this thread isnt claiming NCL might be racist (As El Papa pointed out, its a different culture) , its thinking that Reggie would ever be CEO. He's just a poor mans terry tate.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This thread was just what I needed to read at 4:30 in the morning. Personally, I think isamu snookered the lot of you.

Still, entertainment is entertainment, and you should all be duly compensated. Do you take rape dollars?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
JackFrost2012 do you accept Rape Credit? I haven't a chance to head down to Rape Bank and take out from the RTM.

TekunoRobby said:
JackFrost2012 do you accept Rape Credit? I haven't a chance to head down to Rape Bank and take out from the RTM.

I also accept Personal Rape Checks and Rape Money Orders. Please, no R.O.D.s.

spidey14.jpg

Top Bottom