• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever cheated?

Have you ever cheated?

• Total voters

Spyxos

As cheating is just getting worse in online gaming, I would be interested to know how many have cheated here? Tarkov is supposed to be bad, I have experienced Gta online myself where there is at least 1 cheater on every server. Pubg was also quite bad when I still actively played it. I experienced the occasional cheater in Cod and Bf, but it was never too bad.

If you cheated I would be interested to know why? I'm curious to see if anyone admits to cheating at all.

IFireflyl

Is this specifically referring to online games? Because my answer to that changes. I've cheated in multiplayer games a ton, but normally via mods. For example, in Returnal there is a mod that lets you shoot while jumping and dashing. That's technically cheating, but I feel like that makes more sense anyway. I have not done this with online games.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve never cheated, as there’s no point to doing so.
I like to feel like I accomplished something due to me outplaying my opponents. By cheating you accomplish nothing, nor did you outplay anyone. You simply suck at games and need a program to get a fake win for you.

I’m speaking strictly online competitive games.

In single player games, do whatever you like. I’ve certainly entered God mode codes in games before, because it was so much fun.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I have and will never cheat, the whole point of games is improving my skills and being proud of my achievements.

part of that is working to get better, that's why it's fun.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Spyxos

Is this specifically referring to online games? Because my answer to that changes. I've cheated in multiplayer games a ton, but normally via mods. For example, in Returnal there is a mod that lets you shoot while jumping and dashing. That's technically cheating, but I feel like that makes more sense anyway. I have not done this with online games.
Yeah online only. You can do what ever you want in your singleplayer game.

winjer

Never cheated. But was called a cheater a few times back in the day, for playing well.
One time, I was called a cheater for having a ultrawide monitor. I saw an enemy on the side of the screen, then aimed and shoot him.
A dead team mate was watching me, but he had a 16:9 monitor, So he didn't see the enemy at the same time as me and thought I was cheating.

nemiroff

I have always felt if I ever needed to cheat in an online game I would quit playing online

I have however "cheated" in single player games to make my experience more fun like getting unlimited resources or money or something along those line but strictly in single player games

That's exactly how I feel as well. I don't even use a Cronus when playing COD. I do sometimes cheat in SP, but not often. F.ex. when my camps got destroyed in one of those idiot raids in Valheim I activated cheat mode for sure.

Monad

I regularly use cheats/trainers in order to complete certain games faster (especially those with repetitive mechanics or artificially lengthened), but that’s only on single player games.

Cheating online it’s just stupid.

Last edited:

deathsaber

Not cheating in the sense of utilizing glitches, downloading hacks/aim bots etc.

However, my early days of MMO Play, Everquest and such, when I was still a "teenage dirtbag", I pretty much played ignorant and later uncaring of any kind of etiquette, that became kind of unspoken rule in those . I really didn't care about "lines" to farm stuff. If an enemy too unwieldy aggroed me, I cared nothing about leading it to another party mid battle. Just didn't give a fuck, and found it funny when people acted like a crime was committed.

Now, I'm pretty civilized, but even now if you invade my FromSoft game, and proceed to bow to me, I'm just going to gank you. Sorry. (not sorry)

Tunned

Yes, I only ever cheated in GTA Online the first few months of the PC release. All I did was shoot bags of money to get rich quickly, and to get my friends rich, because fuck shark cards.

I then returned to GTA Online a couple of years back, tried to do the same, got banned, and dropped that shit completely.

The Stig

Online, never that's bloody awful!

Back in the day I used the konami code plenty of times.

Also used those stupidly difficult codes on Goldeneye to beat facility to get the invincibility cheat (wonder if they work on the rare replay release)

STARSBarry

More than 5, but I think I need to make a special caveat about this.

So this was back in the Dreamcast era on a little game called.

51PEJV7X52L._AC_SX466_.jpg

so it was online, now for some fucking insane reason SEGA had special weapons they never ever released in the game files, this was fixed in the later v2 release

sega-dreamcast-phantasy-star-online-ver-2.jpg

but we didn't know that at the time and you had to buy the game again to get v2 (SEGA couldn't really update a whole disc of a game) so I ended up using an action replay I borrowed from my cousin to unlock a bunch of unique items like the Sonic Knuckles, Egg Blaster and Nei's Claw to name a few that you literally could not get any other way but where in the game files of v1 fully working.

want to know the best part?

I had to by hand using a onscreen keyboard write a 50 odd page block of code which then you would (once correct) change the last two rows of to change the item in your 4th... I think, inventory slot into whatever item you wanted from a table of codes I had... it took fucking days, because if you got a single letter wrong it would just crash the game, I redid it like 10 times until it finally worked, but oh did I make fucking use of it once I did.

I eventually went clean when I played PSO BB on the PC several years later but I still remember time fondly on the Dreamcast version.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I have and will never cheat, the whole point of games is improving my skills and being proud of my achievements.

part of that is working to get better, that's why it's fun.
Couldn't agree with this more. It's the thing I REALLY don't understand about cheating.

"Cheating" and goofing around in a single player experience is one thing, but doing it online or in a multiplayer game is a whole other level. Real POS move that breaks everyone's experience.

Knightime_X

Never in an online game.
Except for Elden Ring.
But those players are just there to try and ruin my single player fun so fuck'em. Lol

Last edited:

mrmustard

MP: Once when i was young, but it didn't feel right and wasn't even fun.

SP: Never to beat a game, just to have some fun.

Last edited:

Interfectum

I feel like there can truly only be two types of people who cheat:
- To troll others (ie you're an asshole)
- Because you hate losing (ie you're still a child)

Edit: And this is for multiplayer cheating mainly. Single player is a bit different imo.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

In SP, all the time. For example playing AC game where Ubi wants you to grind or buy their stupid currency. Hell no.

Or Eden Ring "easy mode". 😉

In MP - nah, but I don't usually play MP with ransoms, and if I do it's going to be some PvE MMO or something.

We would out bridge host the lag switchers on Gears of War 2. A lot of the “top” players on ranked execution on Gears 2 would be lag switchers so I went over to se7en sins gaming forum and learned how to bridge host with Cain and able and zone alarm.

Numerous times we’d be up 4-3 or a close 4-4 and get lag switched on the last kill and then our team wiped so we would gain host advantage just to prevent that. Game was ruined by that garbage if you didn’t counter it.

Spyxos

My first time was about 15 years ago in the internet cafe when the guy in front of me ran out of time. And I got his PC. It was running cs 1.6 and at least wallhacks and aimbot. Probably even more. So I thought fuck it, let's see how it is. I must say I was bored damn fast and after 5 minutes I had enough and tried to turn off the shit. I did not know how and had to change the PC.

My second time was also around the time with diablo 2. but since I have deliberately downloaded a bot and run it for 1-2 nights. To get the items I always wanted. Well, after 2 nights I had everything and then I noticed very quickly that I no longer have any desire to play the game and stopped shortly after.

Dr_Ifto

I thought we were talking about on our girlfriends.

Didnt know it was about MP games. I am only on console, so kinda impossible to do that.

Telasoo

Neo Member
I used TurboHUD in Diablo 3 before. Never pushed leaderboards with it, so i dont feel like I did much wrong.

Irobot82

Does a game genie count?

I've only cheated in single-player games.

Oh and old-school Counter Strike you could change your character skins so I made them all one color with bullseye circles on their heads and chest.

I hate cheaters from the bottom of my heart.

When i was kid, ofc i cheated on age of empire 2 to have fun but that the only one game i cheated on and it was ofc offline... Never ever im going to cheat online, it's against my beliefs.

SF Kosmo

The Trigglypuff
Not online. Plenty of cheat codes and game genie antics on old school stuff though. I really liked making Pro Action Replay codes and trying to totally break games.

Fbh

Single Player? Sure, specially back in the day with cheat codes though I've also used mods on some more modern games (like a non annoying stat progression system in Dragons Dogma).

Single Player: Never, don't really see the appeal . I mean hell my favorite type of multiplayer games are stuff like Rocket League where it's almost purely skill based and there's no stuff like loadouts, gear, unlockable skills, etc. The entire concept of having an advantage over other players completely ruins the appeal to me.

Mithos

Anything I can do in a game I will do, If a developer do not want me to do a thing program the game so I can't.
Sequence breaks is one of the things I do if it's possible.

BlackTron

I've used cheat codes in single player such as thereisnocowlevel and aabbaabba.

Using any kind of cheat in an online game is just complete garbage though. Never have in my life and if I did I would have to kick my own ass.

Cheaters have really ruined the fun in online games, making it impossible to enjoy for simple legit paying customers who spent money on a game. In other words I actually do see it as criminal.

Aimbots and products like Cronus are for trash.

I used to compete in a league for Halo CE. I stood up to the top members and got accused of cheating. They made me submit video to prove I wasn't. This was early 2000s so I connected my computer to a turtle beach capture card in another PC to do it. After all that trouble to record video they still told me I cheated. To this day I get accused of cheating all the time and get disconnected in games while playing 100% legit, while real cheaters run around with aimbots. It's the kind of crap that turns you away from online gaming for years and it did.

Once I was even told my video confirmed a known aimbot. I said I didn't even know how to counter that because I have never used one in my life and wouldn't know what it looks like or how to use it or what it would look like on camera. They just laughed. I really have never used one even out of curiosity. The entire concept is dead on arrival to me.

ironmang

Botted in Runescape back in the day and I think I messed around with an aimbot in CS1.6 for an hour or so. Nothing for like 15+ years though.

Grinding in RS was always tedious and I only pked so no regrets. CS was just curious. Got bored almost instantly though. No idea how some people hack day after day and still want to keep playing.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Yes back in the MW2 days when you had to host the cheats to work. I would force host so we could play legit matches and I would get spammed messages from other hackers asking me to leave so they could cheat. Usually the last two games I would fuck about by going invisible and spamming smoke

Top Bottom