• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever cheated?

Have you ever cheated?

• Total voters

Wildebeest

Depends on what you call cheating. Some people can be pretty strict in terms of saying adjusting your gamma is cheating. Then you have MMO players who play games with so many third party plug ins that the game is a mess of overlays and the game basically plays itself, but that isn't considered cheating.

NickFire

Just the contra code and guides. Actually, I had one of those cartridges that you plugged games into back in the old days. They unlocked cheat modes. Forget what it was called though.

phant0m

In single player? Used to all the time.

Multiplayer? Only ever guilty of "screen looking". Never have used any type of hacks.

Cheat codes used to be huge. I never really saw the point though.

I do admit to a period of playing Football Manager with the unlimited money hack, but that was before Man City actually had unlimited money and needed all the help I could get :messenger_tears_of_joy:

reinking

On a girl? Yes, I was dumb. On a test? Yes, I was dumb. On a single player game? Yes, I was dumb. On a multiplayer game? Hell no.

I cheated in Diablo 2 PvP back when it was released. Had infinite mana as a sorceress and destroyed everyone that came my way.

But then I realized that cheating is boring and never did it again in a competitive setting. Still occasionally use CheatEngine to cut down on singleplayer grinds, though (like having to farm x amount of something).

D_N_G

giphy.gif
2TaE.gif
tumblr_o0f4k2UMEQ1u8iryno1_540.gif

Draugoth

I´ve cheated a lot on GTA an Andreas and GTA IV with the cheat codes because i didnt know how t play it back in the day

I´ve cheated on Dark Souls Rematered to get 100% because i wasnt in the mood to make more three NG+ for the required items or farm for them

I´ve cheated to beat Isshin on my second run of Sekiro because i was in a bad week and i didnt want to deal with him more than 50+ times

I´ve installed a shiton of mods on Skyrim Fallout 4 and New Vegas, so i guess that count as cheating

I´ve cheated on Jurassic World: Operation Genesis because i didnt know how to run a park

I´ve used exploits on New Vegas Dragon Age Origins, 2 and Inquisiition because Bioware and Obsidian never patched them anyways and i wanted to have the best playthought

I´ve cheated on Fable 3 to win the cock race and win enough money to buy the entire kingdom for myself and get the best ending

I´ve cheated on Pokémon Gen 1-7 to build MP teams because no one deserves to have to go though the pain of building a competitive team in Pokémon Gens before Sword and Shield
-----

Honestly if you cheat on online games you shold quit gaming, it totally kills the purpose of online play,

I mostly avoid cheating when possible

Last edited:

Danknugz

last time i cheated online was cod mw2 on the original 360 with a dumb mule boosting buddy, got my 1000 stealth bouncer kills banner and basically haven't played cod (multi or single) ever since.

Valonquar

Mega Man 1 pause cheat on bosses.
While not technically a CHEAT, we used to love turning on low grav mode on our OG Team Fortress 1 server. Goofy ass fun.

Danknugz

sometimes back on bf3 when we could admin on servers, i was working towards my 1000 wins banner.
if i had admin and was neck and neck with someone, i would boot them from the server so i could get the win.

then i would laugh.

kingwingin

Gears 1 I would cheat if other people were. Kung fu flip out of the map if they were roadie running.

PSO on GameCube I got bored at the level 160 mark and started duping weapons

PSYGN

Yeah, I found an old login page that didn’t protect against sql injection (early 2000s) and created full stat armor set for fun.

Pelao

Neo Member
I don't consider it that bad because it didn't directly harm the other players, but one thing I did countless times in the Crash Team Racing remake to win a ridiculous amount of money was to open the YouTube app on the PS4 just before the countdown started the race. That way, the game would suspend, I would get disconnected from the race and the players on my end would be replaced by bots on easy difficulty. Winning a race this way paid the same as winning an online race, which was a lot.

dcx4610

Never online. I did use Game Genie on NES and SNES to beat games that were too hard. I paid for it on Final Fantasy 2 though. I did some kind of experience boost and I was max level at one of the end bosses. For some reason, it broke the game and I couldn't beat him. Hours and hours wasted. I learned my lesson. I've also exploited AI in games like beating Shadow Link in Zelda 2 with the crouch trick or one of my favorites that I figured out back in the day on Mortal Kombat where you take a few steps back and jump kick. The computer doesn't block it.

These days, there have been a few games where I've lowered the difficult to easy just to get through the game. If the game is annoying me or I'm not enjoying it, I just want to get it over with. Most recently, Panzer Paladin. I just don't get the love for that game. Pretty good music but I hated the weapon system and the difficulty was ridiculous at times. I just went to easy and never looked back.

Lasha

The OP is clear that online cheating is what's being discussed. Single player cheating affects nobody but the player.

I've never cheated in an online game before. I have enough trouble finishing games because of a lack of challenge. Knowing that I will always win without a challenge kills my interest in any activity. I have written cheats and found exploits as part of my job though.

Mozzarella

Yeah for sure, when i was a kid i always activated cheats for Doom 1993
I also always cheat in Bethesda games because the console command in those games is really fucking enjoyable lol, i always mess around with it, its not cheat because game is hard but cheat because its fun, you can set a scale to make your character taller, you can fast travel from anywhere in case you get bugged, you can mess around with NPC a.i, its really hilarious and if you need gold or items you can spawn them instantly, its just a very convenient and useful system.
I also cheated in my first playthrough in System Shock 2 a lot of years ago, the cheat i used was to make me have chemicals because i was lazy to backtrack and lose ammo on respawning enemies lol
I also cheated in roguelike games, some of them, when i wanted to have more gold in a single run so i used cheat engine to buy everything, kekekeke its fun to cheat in this genre.

But all these cheats are rather for the fun factor and not to beat the game.
I only cheated 2 games to beat and those are:

1- Pathologic 2
This game was a nightmare, so i had to cheat, at some point i was getting suffocated, its a tough time and i wanted to see as much as possible from the story so i went out of my way to cheat. This is the biggest cheat i have ever done in a game.
And no i didnt mess around with the sliders, I even used the console system LOL

2- Commandos 1
The old school commandos games were super challenging for me because i played them when i was a kid, i literally was in the 4th grade when i started playing this series and for a 4th grader those games are super hard, so my cousin would come and help me finish levels but at some point he got tired of me demanding that and gave me cheats, i started using them and you know kids! i found a way to exploit it and have fun shitting on everyone so i went with it and started cheating levels, eventually i beat the game with no effort. 2 years later i played the sequel without cheats and it paid off and now i consider it my favorite game of the series, but it took me months to complete lol.

Thats it :)

Edit: So OP is asking about Online games, sorry i missed that.
I never cheated in Online games, i always played fairly, although i remember trying to find cheats for Runescape lol, i wanted to get more gold and there was no cheat so eventually i grinded for it. But in any skill based game cheating is not worthwhile, so i never cheated in Counter-Strike, League of Legends, Street Fighter or basically any competitive game.

Last edited:
One time I powered off my console when on a 9 game online win streak in SFIV. Was going for 10 win in a row trophy. Won first round, lost second, was about to lose third when rage took over and I pulled the plug. I guess that's kinda cheating?

drotahorror

I cheated in BF1942 when it was released (early 2000's), pretty disgraceful. First, last, and only time.

Last edited:

Felessan

I use "assistance" and "automation" tools all the time in online games. Not in PvP though.
Things like DBM or tools to alleviate grind help a lot.

In online videogames? No what would be the point if you have to cheat to win you didn’t really win. But I guess that never stopped people taking performance enhancing drugs in sports - don’t personally get it though

DavidGzz

Only in Diablo 1 open Battle.net. Godly plate of the Whale and King's Sword of Haste ftw. That didn't have a leaderboard so it wasn't really cheating against other players.

Online gaming. Never cheated or modded.

Single player. Sometimes. Skyrim and Fallout 4 mods work wonders for QoL tweaks. Unlimited sprint and stamina, virtually unlimited carrying capacity, unlimited bullets Also, I'm a total save scummer in PC RPG and strategy games. When I used to play Warlords a lot, I'd reload games a lot to maximize battle outcomes all the time. Or if I knew it was a 100% probability of losing, I'd at least keep reloading until the dice rolls were in my favour to at least knock out half his army as good enough.

Mokus

Never in online games.

In single player games only for extra fun, especially in GTA 3 and GTA Vice City.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

The only time i've ever cheated in an online game is when I joined a cod black ops lobby that instantly unlocked everything for me as soon as i joined, which I had zero control over lol

Last edited:
Never in an online game. It would only serve to piss other people off and I’m not about that.

Single player? Not very often. I used God Mode to beat the final boss in Pillars of Eternity because my party wasn’t really optimised to win the fight after hours of trying. I also did the same thing in Baldur’s Gate because I just wanted to finish the story.

When I was a kid I cheated on single player games all the time. GTA3 all guns and then see how long I could survive the army and shit like that. Only there to give me new things to do.

GreatnessRD

I've cheated in games back in the day like GTA single player to unlock guns and shit. Or Goldeneye 64, but online gaming? No. I like losing to someone better than me because it makes me feel a sense of accomplishment when I can return the favor and get better at the game. Unfortunately, the world is built up of a shit ton of losers today. Can't take an asswhooping. Losers not only in gaming, but in real life as well. Truly pathetic and weak. Makes me sick.

I don't get a lot of satisfaction from cheating. The enjoyment for me comes from the competition, so no I've never cheated in any online game before (be it an FPS or MMO). Now in Animal Crossing I've recently started time traveling a bunch, but I don't think that is considered cheating lol.

Top Bottom