• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever cheated?

Have you ever cheated?

• Total voters

sertopico

I used to cheat in older single player games when I couldn't get past some point for some reason using god mode or noclip. Or in some business/city simulation games like Theme Hospital or Sim City in order to get some extra cash to carry on. Another game that comes up to my mind was Age Of Empires, there was that cheat that enabled soldiers with laser guns and I was using it just for fun hehehe.

Last edited:

Kadve

In online gaming no. I "cheat" (ie, use codes and/or console commands) often in single player games though if i grow particularly frustrated with a section and want to get it over with. Or if combability issues makes it impossibly to do (ie, there was a platforming sequence in Star trek: Elite forces where physics got borked up somehow and made it impossibly to complete. So i ended up no-clipping it rather than loose progress over it).

Last edited:

mxbison

Sure.

I don't believe for a second that kids back then played Doom or Duke3d without ever using cheats lol.

buenoblue

0UnoxEo.gif

ZiZ

Never in multi-player. I'm not against using cheat engine and the like when playing single player though.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Only in single player. My favorite games for doing so were the Rare titles in the N64, Age of Empires 1 & 2 and The Sims.

Elios83

On PC when I was 15-16 years old I used the trick to jump to the next level in Tomb Raider :messenger_beaming::messenger_sunglasses::pie_roffles:
And in my first FF7 playthrough in 1998 I got stucked with the Demon Wall boss fight and a friend passed my a save just past that point.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Ok I didn't get that this was about online games.. I never cheated on online games because that's fucking stupid.
Either own your mediocrity or leave the place, for fuck's sake. Don't screw other people's fun.

I did cheat on single player games, though. At some point I'd get bored with the difficulty of some games out there so I'd use mods, trainers and the like.
On games like Command and Conquer I'd use cheats on skirmishes just for the fun of using an overpowered army obliterating my enemies in a very large map (and getting terrible framerates in the process, of course).

Last edited:

begotten

I put a turbo on for Tetris Effect so I could get the Platinum Trophy.

I remember having every trophy at like 100K spins and saw that I needed ONE MILLION spins for the last one.

JCK75

The only time I've ever used a cheat was in Doom 2 I used noclip to see John Romeros head on a stake.

As for multiplayer games...never.

only cheated in Pokemon when i had a gameshark to get masterballs/mew and in games like THPS2 or GTA.

never cheated in multiplayer games cause i'm not an asshole. i don't have a problem cheating in single player games because it doesn't affect anyone and it lets me enjoy the game.

well, i did cheat in Dark Souls but i played offline. i couldn't be fucked farming materials to upgrade stuff and get more souls lol.

Last edited:

acidagfc

Does cheesing From ai count? Because I did that a lot. Especially in Elden Ring. Fuck Malenias heal, I will cheese her with all the cheesiest tools at my disposal.

Online cheats? Never, I see no point in this.

drganon

Only in single player games, but most of that was 15 plus years ago when games had cheat codes to begin with.

Never used cheats in an online game. I may have used an exploit to duplicate logs on The Forest, or did the car glitch on GTAV online when it first came out, but I never used cheats in competitive online games. I always played in a clan that used mics.

Last edited:

Caffeine

not online.
but i did on nba 2k singleplayer my career cause i didnt want to grind vc/mycareer points/badges. they have made my career require online now in recent releases.
and on kotor on a secondary playthrough.
and some older stuff but it was mostly experimental to see what cheats did like in sonic 2

Last edited:

Boxster17

Never have with online games, but I have with SP games.

There's been countless times in older GTA games where I've given myself a ton of weapons, and then just ran around and caused some chaos.

Last edited:

soulbait

Way back in the day my dad played Descent online all the time. I was not any good at it, but I thought it would be fun to try playing it. I joined in a game, began losing badly, so I thought it would be funny to enable cheats. This is back in the day when you could just enter console commands for cheats on PC, even when playing multiplayer. However, whenever you entered a cheat it would be announced to everyone else who is playing. They were not happy about it, LOL. I think I gave myself unlimited mines or something like that.

Other times, I was not cheating on purpose, but I would guess it was a cheat.

Back in the days of Dreamcast, I had the mouse and keyboard for it. Playing Quake III online with mouse and keyboard when almost everyone else was on the shitty Dreamcast controller, really gave me an edge. If you think today's m&k players have an advantage over those with controllers, you need to do it back when the controller did not have dual anaglog sticks LOL. I would dominate all the time, giving me a false sense of skills.

Similarly, playing Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict on the original Xbox, if you were the host you had a major advantage in that game. Well, we had super fast internet at the time, more than most, so for the majority of the games, I was the host. I would wipe the floor clean due to this. Not cheating really, but not fair to the others either.

Not talking about online games, I loved using Game Genie on NES and SNES and GameShark on N64. I did this mostly to help me complete games that I would rent. When renting games, I would make sure I had cheat codes for them, so I could complete them within the rental period if I could not do it on my own. I would also always use it to play through Contra III: Alien Wars and Final Fight on SNES. Even though it was cheating, I had fun as a kid, playing through them over and over again with infinite lives.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Gamepads 4 Life
The only time i've ever cheated in an online game is when I joined a cod black ops lobby that instantly unlocked everything for me as soon as i joined, which I had zero control over lol
Not a single problem with this. Fuck grinding for weapons.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Never cheated in online gaming or in my love life. But I have cheated plenty in offline games. Mostly Genesis games way back.

In online, no. That's just... unsportsmanlike. However, in single player games, yes, but still not all that often. Last two times I remember were Alan Wake, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. With Alan Wake, I loved the atmosphere and story, but just couldn't get on with the gameplay, so just added cheats and blasted my way through it. With ACO, it was the level scaling and I got a fair way through before getting fed up of it and used Cheat Engine.

D-ray

Online cheating: never.
Being a Steam user, usually that would mean a VAC ban, and on Steam having a VAC record is like telling in public that you are a pedophile.

If there was no VAC risk or something, I wouldn't do it anyway as I see no point in doing so. You just ruin others people fun when you could do the same thing with the game CPU.

I put 5 or more, but have never considered cheating in an online game. I only ever do when playing solo retro games that I have played several times over.

GarlicPrawn

Neo Member
Never in online gaming, but for singleplayer I did after finishing te game. It was especially fun in GTA to get all the weapons/extra damage and wreak havoc on the city while having infinite health. GTA4 did this very nicely by letting you save the cheat codes as phone numbers you could quickly dial.

dorkimoe

i tested out cheats in cs 1.3 or 1.5 cant remember. Its fun for about 5 minutes then its like whats the point? Its equivalent to just buying a max level character in Wow/mmo.

Sentenza

What's up with people on this forum being inept at making decent poll options at almost-subnormal levels?

Anyway, never used a cheat in my life when it comes to multiplayer. Not even as a "try" on an empty servers or in LAN between friends or anything.
And as much as I can recall I rarely ever cheated in single player, too.
But not because I've ever been particularly good. I just have basic dignity.

Last edited:

Dutchy

I fully expected a decent amount of people to openly admit to cheating or having recently cheated in MP games.

One of the first times i'm proud of this forum

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
In my days i did some camping in the shadows in Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament.

For the record youngsters, camping is the OG way of cheating and far more rewarding than using an aimbot (boring) or a lootgoat.

Cheating used to be about fun. Now its as entertaining as commercials.

Spyxos

What's up with people on this forum being inept at making decent poll options at almost-subnormal levels?

Anyway, never used a cheat in my life when it comes to multiplayer. Not even as a "try" on an empty servers or in LAN between friends or anything.
And as much as I can recall I rarely ever cheated in single player, too.
But not because I've ever been particularly good. I just have basic dignity.
I have only done it 2 times. What exactly is wrong? I will be happy to make improvements in the future.

Sentenza

I have only done it 2 times. What exactly is wrong? I will be happy to make improvements in the future.
Well, for one conflating different arguments in a single option.
For instance in this case implying that the only reason to not want to cheat may be "never needing to do it" (aka "being too good to ever need cheating").

Except my reason to avoid cheats has no correlation whatsoever with being particularly good at games (admittedly I'm not) and all with disliking the act of cheating in itself.

Lorianus

Neo Member
Every Mass Effect 2 playthrough after my first one i simply save edit myself the research ressources, nobody got time for probing 500 planets.

Top Bottom