• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeless-age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the OP have confrontation issues or something? I mean, when his dad was telling him to leave did he basically not say "you'll be forcing me to sleep on the streets, homeless, like a tramp, and probably die?" Just seems a bit weir to just passively comply and slink out to a life on the streets rather than perhaps get even a little angry?

Isn't also a bit weird he literally has no friends he can go and stay with?

I mean, good on soultron for whatever kindness he's enacting here, but it just seems like a strange story told with no threats or anything involved just "could you leave?" "ok" and then homeless time. It comes off like theres a lot not told or as questioned, confrontation issues.d

vooglie

Wow, that's really shitty OP. I wish I could help but I'm in New Zealand :/

soultron said:
Fuck the haters, HurricaneJesus. We're gonna get you out of this alive.

If you have a cellphone, PM me and we can talk over that. Or we could meet in person somewhere.

You are a good man.

soultron

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
wait, soultron we need one last update. is hurricane going to come over your house and stay for a bit or what? did you get his number? update please.
I talked to him on the phone about ten minutes ago. I guess for my safety and his (internet strangers conspiracy!) I should say that I am meeting him tomorrow after my exam and taking him to the Boston Pizza I work at so that I can personally recommend him to my managers.

My one house mate is getting an interview there tonght, and hopefully HJ can have an on-the-spot interview then. As far as putting him up for a few days, my male room mate and one of the two female room mates I have are okay with it. I'm waiting back from confirmation from my second female room mate but I'm pretty sure she's still at work.

HJ is being really humble thus far in saying that he doesn't want to use my place to store his stuff or stay here. I said we'll do things within his comfort zone, so when I get back to him on -- wait I just got a text from my last room mate saying it's okay with her -- the room mates being okay with it, it's ultimately up to him.

From what he told me thus far, he's looking into tonnes of places for jobs and might have a house lined up that has reasonable rent. Looks like the tough got tougher and he's fighting right back.

Meadows

Banned
This thread bummed me out at first because I didn't know what I could say to help him. Thanks for cheering me up Soultron!

fart

Savant
mrkgoo said:
I'm no so much shocked. I feel for HJ, and wish him the best, but I always find it bemusing that so many people are ready to pounce on everyone. None of us really know the situation at hand, beyond one side's story. I'm not saying anyone is lying or misrepresenting, just generally commenting.
well, you are. what we know is what has been told to us by one of the parties. you can't idly suggest that there's more going on here without proposing that he's lying. this isn't some fantasy world of hypotheticals (although it is technically the internet...) but of concrete circumstances, and real human feelings.

besides, even if you don't believe the guy, helping him out is still the right thing to do, and airing your disbelief is nothing but malicious, potentially very hurtful bloviating. no one deserves to live on the streets, period.

anyway enough counter-hijacking.

Giard

Sorry for you dude, but looks like you're getting out of it.

My mom kicked me out a month ago, because I reminded her too much of my dad and that she's lacking money and me out of the house would mean more money to spend..Our relationship was never good in the last few years, and I guess she just got tired of it. We tried to fix things lots of times, but it never worked out. Ultimately, I don't know if I will ever talk to her again.

I got an apartment in the city I will be studying next month, so all's good. Don't give up!

mrkgoo

fart said:
well, you are. what we know is what has been told to us by one of the parties. you can't idly suggest that there's more going on here without proposing that he's lying. this isn't some fantasy world of hypotheticals (although it is technically the internet...) but of concrete circumstances, and real human feelings.

besides, even if you don't believe the guy, helping him out is still the right thing to do, and airing your disbelief is nothing but malicious, potentially very hurtful bloviating. no one deserves to live on the streets, period.

anyway enough counter-hijacking.

Oh, I believe him totally. I would offer a place if I thought it was within my power. I was just generally commenting that people are often quick to jump on someone who is in the wrong without fully knowing the story. I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

soultron said:
I talked to him on the phone about ten minutes ago. I guess for my safety and his (internet strangers conspiracy!) I should say that I am meeting him tomorrow after my exam and taking him to the Boston Pizza I work at so that I can personally recommend him to my managers.

My one house mate is getting an interview there tonght, and hopefully HJ can have an on-the-spot interview then. As far as putting him up for a few days, my male room mate and one of the two female room mates I have are okay with it. I'm waiting back from confirmation from my second female room mate but I'm pretty sure she's still at work.

HJ is being really humble thus far in saying that he doesn't want to use my place to store his stuff or stay here. I said we'll do things within his comfort zone, so when I get back to him on -- wait I just got a text from my last room mate saying it's okay with her -- the room mates being okay with it, it's ultimately up to him.

From what he told me thus far, he's looking into tonnes of places for jobs and might have a house lined up that has reasonable rent. Looks like the tough got tougher and he's fighting right back.

I love you, Soultron. I tend to hate humanity in general, but every now and again it comes through for me.

Best of luck, HJ. Hope you get back on your feet.

alterno69

Banned
I knew GAF would be helpful, i love you GAF never change.

Soultron is the man and my best wishes go to HJ, i know he'll pull trough.

I would be happy to let you in my home but unfortunately I'm an ocean apart. I hope your okay, man. Being homeless is no laughing matter. Makes you realise just grateful we should all be to have a roof and bed

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Giard said:
Sorry for you dude, but looks like you're getting out of it.

My mom kicked me out a month ago, because I reminded her too much of my dad and that she's lacking money and me out of the house would mean more money to spend..Our relationship was never good in the last few years, and I guess she just got tired of it. We tried to fix things lots of times, but it never worked out. Ultimately, I don't know if I will ever talk to her again.

I got an apartment in the city I will be studying next month, so all's good. Don't give up!

parents are sucking ass these days :[

fart

Savant
mrkgoo said:
Oh, I believe him totally. I would offer a place if I thought it was within my power. I was just generally commenting that people are often quick to jump on someone who is in the wrong without fully knowing the story. I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
oooh. ok, pretend my response to your post is to one of the haters then. :p

The more I kept reading this thread the bigger my smile got, its just amazing to see what GAF can do sometimes. Kudos to you soultron.

GL HJ.

It's funny hearing some of yall say "it's your fault, you must have done something to piss him off." sometimes it's nothing, sometimes you have a father who honestly doesn't give a fuck about you like mine did. I sympathize with what you're going through though man. If you lived in Cincinnati, OH I'd let you crash at my place until you get back on your feet. I was in a similar position once and almost had to sleep outside on some crates by a dumpster (my then soon to be gf snuck me in her house for the night so i didnt have to do it). On the real when it's all said and done do like I did and just totally turn your back on your dead and move on with your life.

vooglie

gutterboy44 said:
Hopefully the Internet/GAF can redeem itself and actually generate some collective good. How long does it take to extract money from a paypal account? If some of us threw a dollar or two his way it could really help. I have no idea if this is remotely plausible, just a thought.

I'd be down for this.

mrkgoo said:
Hmm. A new New Zealander.

Would you offer him a place?

If it's for a gaffer then of course!

Seriously though, I'd have to talk to my missus about it, but I don't think she'd mind. Though it would kind of depend on who it was because if it was that silent_echo guy then probably not just cause I'm an asshole to assholes like that.

So are you a kiwi as well?

That really sucks man, you're in a low now but you'll make it out okay. At least you're in Canada as it shouldn't be too difficult finding some sort of employment, and you can probably start getting some decent welfare/EI soon. :(

Might be silly, but maybe us Gaffers can huddle together and start PayPal donations or something?

Edit: Fuck beaten, but very glad we're on the same page.

Canova

Banned
HJ, you sound sincere. Don't give up easy, keep on fighting. I know it sounds cliche, but there's no other option.

Soultron, you're a good man.

Good luck to both of you

soultron

Banned
Oh fuck. My one room mate is asking what HJ's name is!!

Oh fuck! Oh fuck! I don't know what to tell her! I just told her that HJ is a "friend," basically.

HALP!

vooglie

Well looks like there's at least 4 of us that are willing to give to paypal; does anyone here have a paypal account or something, and how would HJ get money from it?

soultron said:

Oh fuck! Oh fuck! I don't know what to tell her! I just told her that HJ is a "friend," basically.

HALP!

HJ has left I think, so we won't know till tomorrow.

Just point her to this thread.

soultron

Banned
vooglie said:
Well looks like there's at least 4 of us that are willing to help out; does anyone here have a paypal account or something, and how would HJ get money from it?
I'll tell HJ tomorrow and maybe he could just link you guys to his own account or create one.

Hopefully he'll be willing to accept it. Again, he's been really humble thus far, hasn't asked for money. He told me that the place he's going to check out is a good price and he'd just put his first month's rent on his CC.

zero_suit

soultron said:

HALP!

Uh Oh

Hopefully, he comes back to this thread soon.

mosaic

go eat paint
soultron said:

HALP!
What did you do, call him up and ask for HurricaneJesus?!

Davidion

Wow, good luck to OP and props to Soultron.

To say the least, I hope everything works out well for both parties involved.

I've been homeless twice while on GAF over the years :lol

It is not FUN :(

there was a Miami South Beach post in the archives funny stuff man it really sucked. Hope you find a way out of it. Its not really the end of the world

First time I went to a Shelter in Stamford Connecticut and many months later I found a place in Bridgeport CT

second time I moved to Texas then had to leave so went to Miami did not go to the shelter I just sold some of my best painting for $3,000 and lived in a South Beach Hostel for $18 per day

Hostels >>>>>>> Homeless Shelters

soultron

Banned
mosaic said:
What did you do, call him up and ask for HurricaneJesus?!
I PM'd him my cell and then he phoned me up. I don't have caller ID and *69 doesn't work on my cell.

Damn you, TELUS!!

Why couldnt his father at least give him some money? How fucking low is that? And where is his mother in all of this, or even relatives. It's a fucking disgrace that strangers are willing to look out for him more than his family.

vooglie

soultron said:
I PM'd him my cell and then he phoned me up. I don't have caller ID and *69 doesn't work on my cell.

Damn you, TELUS!!

Just point her to the thread man, that should be good enough till tomorrow no?

soultron

Banned
D4Danger said:
good man, soultron.

Keep us updated if you can.
Yeah, I'll do my best. HJ told me he's staying overnight in the shop that his dad owns (?) but he said he might not be able to stay there if his dad finds out, IIRC.

I'm sure HJ will be back on to update you guys tomorrow at least, since I told him to get a resume ready for BP. Hopefully he'll drop in and tell you guys everything he told me and any progress he has made.

soultron

Banned
fart said:
i'm not saying don't do it, but every time i've seen this happen elsewhere, it gets ugly really quickly
Again, I'm betting HJ won't even go for the idea. Please don't do anything until you talk to him yourselves. That way people don't start asking for money back and bitch one another out.

EDIT: ninja, I don't believe in paying $7 a month to screen my calls. The stupidest thing is that my bb/Telus blocks out the number in the call log too. FFS, the least they could've done was allow me to see the number but not automatically link it to the corresponding numbers in my address book, if you know what I mean.

vooglie said:
Alright.

Well, does anyone here have a paypal account we could use?

I don't have one
fuck ebay/paypal
but I'd definitely put some money in it. Hopefully things turn around for him.

Stridone

Banned
fart said:
i'm not saying don't do it, but every time i've seen this happen elsewhere, it gets ugly really quickly

Like the guy who bought a DS for his sister using GAF money? :lol

Anyway, this thread is awesome.

mrkgoo

soultron said:
Again, I'm betting HJ won't even go for the idea. Please don't do anything until you talk to him yourselves. That way people don't start asking for money back and bitch one another out.

EDIT: ninja, I don't believe in paying $7 a month to screen my calls. The stupidest thing is that my bb/Telus blocks out the number in the call log too. FFS, the least they could've done was allow me to see the number but not automatically link it to the corresponding numbers in my address book, if you know what I mean.

I don't think the paypal thing is a good idea. He's not a a loser out for charity. He just needs a place to crash. A charity could simply make him feel more worthless (maybe, I don't know how he thinks). I agree with fart - these things can end up ugly.

Also, soultrain, you could refer to him as "HJ", and just say you don't know what it stands for :lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom