• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeless-age

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Smiles and Cries said:
second time I moved to Texas then had to leave so went to Miami did not go to the shelter I just sold some of my best painting for $3,000 and lived in a South Beach Hostel for $18 per day

Hostels >>>>>>> Homeless Shelters
$18 a day is more than it would cost to rent a room from someone, even in SoCal. Shit, I payed less than that for a separate guest house in Manhattan Beach (fucking sky-high property values) just three short years ago.

Feenix29

HurricaneJesus said:
I didn't do anything to make him tell me to leave. He just says that me being around reminds him of the past and he wants that all behind him. It doesn't matter because his reasons are selfish. When I was just finishing highschool, my mother kicked me out because her boyfriend didn't like me. I lived with friends for a couple years, working shitty jobs while wanting to go back to school. I have put myself through 3 years of the program I am in, and I am two classes away from graduating. They aren't offered until january-april of 2010.

I only have 65 bucks because I have been paying my own way, and trying to pay down a 4,600 dollar student loan. I was doing ok until last year when my gf of 5 years up and decided she doesn't love me anymore, and ditched me. I pretty much lost it and fucked up my last semester in school. My dad knew so he offered to let me stay there until I am finished. I am a quiet guy, I listen to my music with headphones on, I don't cause problems.

I am posting from the library, but I think it is closing soon. I live in Hamilton Ontario. I am thinking of going up to the college and just locking my shit in a locker for the night. I have been walking all over the city today and my legs are burning and I can barely walk. I just want to sleep so badly.

Fuck dude, youre breaking my heart here. Dont give up man, dont ever give up. Ive had friends that went through what you did and me and other friends helped as much as we could to get them through it. If you have any friends/family what so ever or someone like Soultron (You rock dude!) trying to offer help, dont ever let your pride get in the way.

Just dont give up, finish school and show your asshole of a family that youre capable of doing things on your own.

Sydle

gutterboy44 said:
Hopefully the Internet/GAF can redeem itself and actually generate some collective good. How long does it take to extract money from a paypal account? If some of us threw a dollar or two his way it could really help. I have no idea if this is remotely plausible, just a thought.

Good idea. I'd donate a few bucks.

soultron said:
Oh fuck. My one room mate is asking what HJ's name is!!

Oh fuck! Oh fuck! I don't know what to tell her! I just told her that HJ is a "friend," basically.

HALP!
I thought you had his phone number? Call him.

If that is not possible, simply make up a nickname for him. That will be the nickname all your roommates know him by.

Kusagari

soultron said:

Oh fuck! Oh fuck! I don't know what to tell her! I just told her that HJ is a "friend," basically.

HALP!

You guys didn't exchange names over the phone?

soultron

Banned
Kccitystar said:
He actually said his name was "Jesus" on the phone but I'm not sure if he was joking or not...

I tried his avatar for the url to his photobucket but I don't think his name is William/Bill Hicks.

I'm just going to dodge my room mate's text for a while. I need to make dinner and study some more anyway.

I hope I do okay on this exam tomorrow. I need a bare minimum of a 55 to get into the program I'm aiming for, but ever since I started working, I've fallen so far behind.

soultron

Banned
Kusagari said:
You guys didn't exchange names over the phone?
His cell was about to die, I believe. Again, I don't have caller ID so it just says "Unknown caller" in my call log.

I just made some shit up and said "We call him Jesus since he's such a nice guy Haha" to my room mate. Hopefully that covers it until I find out his real name.

mrkgoo

soultron said:
His cell was about to die, I believe. Again, I don't have caller ID so it just says "Unknown caller" in my call log.

I just made some shit up and said "We call him Jesus since he's such a nice guy Haha" to my room mate. Hopefully that covers it until I find out his real name.

Call him "HJ", and say you don't know what it stands for.

Actually, that's stupid "HJ" as a nickname doesn't roll off the tongue, so that won't work.

Call him "Jay."

Only 26 letters in the alphabet man, you have a 1 in 26 chance of hitting his actual first initial.

If it turns out to be wrong, make up a story for why people call him Jay. Done.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I backbacked around Victoria, BC before on vacation and they got hostels there where they allow you to stay there for free if you do a couple of hours of chores there. They will also pay you some money too for your work. I wonder if Hamilton has hostels like that. If they do, go check them out ! Let me search on the internet a little bit for that.

EDIT: Check out Hamilton's YMCA @ 79 James Street South

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Meh, I moved to Austin with 20 dollars in my wallet and without a place to stay and I am doing a-ok right now. If I don't get on my medical study I guess I am screwed but if not, I am sure something else will come up.

Hey everyone, I am currently in the shop where I was working part time with my dad. It is not his shop. I have a key for when I work, and I know the alarm code, so I just came in so I have somewhere to sleep tonight.

I really appreciate all the nice words. I cannot accept any money from you. My eyes were welling up reading this thread. I have a credit card with a 500 dollar limit, and it is completely clear right now. I saw an ad for a bedroom for 320 per month, plus about 30 bucks for hydro each month. Everything else is included, internet, etc.

I don't really know what to say right now, because I wasn't expecting so much from all of you. I don't have anyone to turn to, and this is it for me. I am never going back to live with family again. That is behind me now. I will do whatever it takes to finish this course, and then go from there. I am actually excited to have a place I can call my own. I may not be able to buy all the things I would like, but as long as I have my guitar, some books, and gaf, I know I am going to be ok.

I found an old classical guitar in the shop burried behind some crap. The strings were all messed up, but there was a new set in the case so I strung it up and I am just going to relax and think about tomorrow.

I can't tell you all how much this means to me. Especially soultron.

I am sorry I didn't answer all the questions, but I will say that the conversation wasn't as smple as him saying get out and me saying ok. He went into some rant about not feeling obligated as a parent, etc, and then went into how he failed in raising my sister and I, and I said I didn't feel that way, but he just kept going, and then he said 'just another of my fuckups' and then broke down and started crying. He started to walk into the other room, and smashed a bunch of shit off a table in a rage, so then I just grabbed my back-pack, and left. I am going to get the most important things from his place. Just my school notes, text books, guitar, hard drive, and that is about it. I am going to leave my 360 behind and same with my tv. Maybe I will get them down the road when I have a place. The last time I left something at his place, I was trying to get it back so I could sell it for school money, but he was an asshole, and refused just to be a prick. I had to borrow the money off my gf at the time. He almost fucked up me being able to go to school. He is a prick and I have no desire to keep in contact with him after this. I will repay whatever money I feel I owe him when I graduate, but then that is the end of it.

My family is not like me, and I have no desire to be assosciated with them. I want to look forward. For the last year I have been depressed over losing the woman I loved, and it messed up my way of thinking. All I wanted was to have that person I trusted with me to hold me and comfort me when I needed it. Now I know that I don't need her. There is so much in this life to experience, and I am not going to dwell on useless shit. I am going to focus, and study, and graduate, and really make something of myself.

Well I am going to go play some guitar. I will keep you updated.

Feenix29

FUCK YEAH!!!

You can do it man, you sound like a cool dude. Dont ever give up and dont ever let your pride get in the way when someone offers to help. Good luck man.

Meadows

Banned
HurricaneJesus said:
Hey everyone, I am currently in the shop where I was working part time with my dad. It is not his shop. I have a key for when I work, and I know the alarm code, so I just came in so I have somewhere to sleep tonight.

I really appreciate all the nice words. I cannot accept any money from you. My eyes were welling up reading this thread. I have a credit card with a 500 dollar limit, and it is completely clear right now. I saw an ad for a bedroom for 320 per month, plus about 30 bucks for hydro each month. Everything else is included, internet, etc.

I don't really know what to say right now, because I wasn't expecting so much from all of you. I don't have anyone to turn to, and this is it for me. I am never going back to live with family again. That is behind me now. I will do whatever it takes to finish this course, and then go from there. I am actually excited to have a place I can call my own. I may not be able to buy all the things I would like, but as long as I have my guitar, some books, and gaf, I know I am going to be ok.

I found an old classical guitar in the shop burried behind some crap. The strings were all messed up, but there was a new set in the case so I strung it up and I am just going to relax and think about tomorrow.

I am sorry I didn't answer all the questions, but I will say that the conversation wasn't as smple as him saying get out and me saying ok. He went into some rant about not feeling obligated as a parent, etc, and then went into how he failed in raising my sister and I, and I said I didn't feel that way, but he just kept going, and then he said 'just another of my fuckups' and then broke down and started crying. He started to walk into the other room, and smashed a bunch of shit off a table in a rage, so then I just grabbed my back-pack, and left. I am going to get the most important things from his place. Just my school notes, text books, guitar, hard drive, and that is about it. I am going to leave my 360 behind and same with my tv. Maybe I will get them down the road when I have a place. The last time I left something at his place, I was trying to get it back so I could sell it for school money, but he was an asshole, and refused just to be a prick. I had to borrow the money off my gf at the time. He almost fucked up me being able to go to school. He is a prick and I have no desire to keep in contact with him after this. I will repay whatever money I feel I owe him when I graduate, but then that is the end of it.

My family is not like me, and I have no desire to be assosciated with them. I want to look forward. For the last year I have been depressed over losing the woman I loved, and it messed up my way of thinking. All I wanted was to have that person I trusted with me to hold me and comfort me when I needed it. Now I know that I don't need her. There is so much in this life to experience, and I am not going to dwell on useless shit. I am going to focus, and study, and graduate, and really make something of myself.

I dunno what business this is of mine, but you maybe shouldn't close the book on your Dad. We all make mistakes, a night's sleep can make people realise how stupid they were.

You might wanna talk to him and see how things go, but this is your battle (with the help of Soultron!) and I probably don't have any authority in telling you what to do.

You're in my prayers.

tokkun

soultron said:

HALP!

I know you're trying to be a good samaritan, but isn't it kind of a dick move to invite a total stranger to stay in your apartment and lie to your roommates to say that he's a friend? Don't you owe your roommates the truth about a decision that could affect their safety?

ZZMitch

Wow, reading stuff likes this makes me feel bad that I spend so much money on video games and stuff when I could be helping people..

Best of luck my fellow Canadian!

Man, you have a small amount on your Student loans, juts try to get the most possible on your next loan agreement since its cheaper then CC and private loans, till then I guess since your not going to school this fall just find a quick retail job then when you have them start applying for real jobs.

KHarvey16

tokkun said:
I know you're trying to be a good samaritan, but isn't it kind of a dick move to invite a total stranger to stay in your apartment and lie to your roommates to say that he's a friend? Don't you owe your roommates the truth about a decision that could affect their safety?

Sounds like he's interacted with him here quite a lot in the past, they go to the same school and he spoke to him on the phone. I'd say he knows him about as well or even better then some know "friends" who might crash for a night.

Pumpkins

Best of luck to you HJ. This thread is quite incredible.

And Soultron, I know this has already been said but I wanna say it myself, you're a good guy.

vooglie

HurricaneJesus said:

Glad you've found your confidence, and I hope you pull out of it. Looking forward to the updates.

soultron

Banned
tokkun said:
I know where you're coming from, and I fully agree. I told my room mate that I don't know HJ that well, which is still lying, but I guess that opens the door for them to object if they must. I just really don't know what to do otherwise. I simply feel that if I was in the same situation, I'd hope someone would be there to help me too.

HJ won't be living here permanently. We're simply giving him the option of a couch/air mattress to stay on and some people to talk shit out with if he needs it. As you've seen, he still hasn't said whether or not he's taking the offer.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This thread really did put a smile on my face and almost made me tear up. Soultron man... you are a GREAT human being. If more people in the world were like you and understood other people's situations... put themselves in others shoes... then this world would definitely be a better place. Props to you man.

HJ... you will be a great man, a great father and you will have what your father didn't have... a great future with a great family.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Definitely keep us updated... whether it works out... whether you wake up and find dead bodies everywhere.... ;)

soultron

Banned
Haha. I just got this from my room mate after telling her that I don't know HJ all that well,

"Its all good!
Really its cool :) if he's sketchy we will kick him out :p"

So there you go. HJ, if you're as calm and collected as you were on the phone tonight, you'll be fine and my room mates will love you. One's single too.

SCORE!!

Meadows

Banned
soultron said:
Haha. I just got this from my room mate after telling her that I don't know HJ all that well,

"Its all good!

So there you go. HJ, if you're as calm and collected as you were on the phone tonight, you'll be find and my room mates will love you. One's single too.

SCORE!!

I smell a mother fucking sit-com.

mrkgoo

soultron said:

"Its all good!

So there you go. HJ, if you're as calm and collected as you were on the phone tonight, you'll be fine and my room mates will love you. One's single too.

SCORE!!

You know, on that note, you never know how things turn out. This could be the best thing that ever happened to you, HJ.

daegan

Meadows said:
I dunno what business this is of mine, but you maybe shouldn't close the book on your Dad. We all make mistakes, a night's sleep can make people realise how stupid they were.

You might wanna talk to him and see how things go, but this is your battle (with the help of Soultron!) and I probably don't have any authority in telling you what to do.

You're in my prayers.

After being out of my parents' house for a while I started to feel this way about my stepfather, like maybe I had misjudged him, maybe he was alright.

Then he left my mother and their two children, both about to start high school, my mother who's become a physical wreck from spending so much time lazing about because he's a social recluse and an emotional wreck because of manic depression, for a younger woman he met online. This is the second time he's abandoned a family like this.

Fathers are almost entirely shit in my experience. It makes me hope against hope that when I eventually have children, I'm not shit at it.

bengraven

lennedsay said:
Omg GAF slumber party! Post vids of your pillow fights!

Ha, I'm 30 years old and I think this would actually be an awesome idea. If only I had a house and you all lived in Gainesville FL. :lol

bengraven

HJ, take him up on the offer. Not only is it better than an old shop, but you'll have emotional support around you.

(and I'm sure they have videogames)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
bengraven said:
Ha, I'm 30 years old and I think this would actually be an awesome idea. If only I had a house and you all lived in Gainesville FL. :lol

God, growing up I never got a chance to do the slumber party thing - I don't know why. It would be sooo cool to have a slumber party, everyone wearing their one piece pajamas, with their down stuffed pillows and a metric ton of popcorn and B-movies, then after we can talk about boys and try on each others bras/paint each others nails.

bengraven

Kinitari said:
God, growing up I never got a chance to do the slumber party thing - I don't know why. It would be sooo cool to have a slumber party, everyone wearing their one piece pajamas, with their down stuffed pillows and a metric ton of popcorn and B-movies, then after we can talk about boys and try on each others bras/paint each others nails.

Minus the last line, sure!

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
wow, this thread brought a tear to my eye. this is some touching shit right here.

mrkgoo

NetMapel said:
I'm not aware that guys like slumber party with other guys ?

To be honest, we had them all the time when I was younger. Except it was more being geeky.

We watched Anime and played Magic the Gathering and Battletech.

Gattsu25

Banned
I lived in a car for a few months...after a while even the car was taken from me but thankfully that was a few nights before someone took me in.

It's a hard thing, not having anything to your name...I wish you the best, hurricane

NetMapel said:
I'm not aware that guys like slumber party with other guys ?

Well I don't think it was like how girls did it with the whole gab talk and talk with girls and stuff

I'd had them with friends, generally stayed up playing video games or movie marathons, just hanging out really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom