• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeless-age

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
soultron said:
He's so close now that he can probably smell his graduation!

That's the worse part about all this. HJ just needs a push over the finish line and he'll be set for life.

HenryGale

I dont really have a lot of money, need it for school gas ect. Anyway so since I budget it I can't really help too much. Though I just got back money i had spent to rush shipping on shoes since I needed them by today, and they didn't come in time. Now I'll have to wear uncomfortable dress shoes shoes today, but I got back the money i paid for shipping and can gladly donate that :)

My family had gone through a really rough patch when it comes to money when i was younger, and it still hasn't been great since then but not nearly as bad. So I can understand where he is coming from as I lost my home at 15. Hope HJ can just use all of this great GAF help as something to hold onto until he can get through this time.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Years ago friends were there for me when I needed help without even asking.

How could I not do the same for someone else?

soultron

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Payment sent, credit to soultron and others that have helped.
ppDONATIONS-8.jpg

So sleepy. But you guys are actually keeping me awake. Only 6 more hours until this stupid exam...

Zeronax

This thread is beautiful :)

HJ, life will definitely turn around for you; it's all up to you whether you make it happen or not. Go on and graduate with your engineering degree and make everyone, but most importantly yourself, proud!

soultron, karma does exist and right now you're swimming in the good :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
soultron said:
I can't. I have a lot of ground to cover still. I have one more energy drink and a 5-hour energy shot thing!

You will be so weak when you take the test lol. Remember to drink something just before the test or you'll crash mid-test.

soultron

Banned
Relix said:
You will be so weak when you take the test lol. Remember to drink something just before the test or you'll crash mid-test.
I'm afraid if I go to sleep I won't wake up in time for the test. I've tried the whole "I'll nap for an hour," but with how tired I've been all week from continuous late nights at work and studying, there's no way I'll wake up in time.

I've just cranked some Deadmau5 and am drinking energy drinks. It's starting to turn into quite the trip. I almost wish this test was earlier this morning. Who schedules a test at 230PM when everyone will be pulling an all-nighter beforehand?

RAGE!

HenryGale

soultron said:
I'm afraid if I go to sleep I won't wake up in time for the test. I've tried the whole "I'll nap for an hour," but with how tired I've been all week from continuous late nights at work and studying, there's no way I'll wake up in time.

I've just cranked some Deadmau5 and am drinking energy drinks. It's starting to turn into quite the trip. I almost wish this test was earlier this morning. Who schedules a test at 230PM when everyone will be pulling an all-nighter beforehand?

RAGE!

Haha been there. I would suggest easting some yougurt have some sort of fruit or something for your body to breakdown, that's not heavy and wont make you sleepy. Then have some more drinks right before the test and it should keep you up.

terithegreat

Neo Member
I know this has been said, but depending on what area you're in there are usually multiple resources for people in your situation. I live in the South Florida area & my Church does a local homeless shelter lunch/diner every week and just from volunteering there I saw all the different ways that people who are in between residencies and need a hand to get back on their feet can find help. I'm not sure where you're at locally right now, but I bet there are places where you can find a meal or two & maybe even a shelter or organization that might take you in.

I really hope everything works out for you. Whatever your situation is right now, just know that things will get better and it seems that GAF has your back :)

This thread is nuts. fuck getting kicked out, happened to me along while back but I was lucky enough to stay with grandparents.
Hope it all works out dude

soultron said:
I pay $375/mo for an all-inclusive place. I only pull about $600-750 a month, of which $60 goes to my cell phone and ~$200 for groceries/mo. It's definitely doable.

He told me he was looking at a place which, IIRC, was $320/mo that only charged a small% of utilities per person in that house. He might be living cheaper than I am.

If he gets a month's rent down, he's good for 30 more days. He's still got his CC to back him up, and if he's moving as fast as it sounds, he'll have a PT job (or two) within the next week or two. He said he doesn't have to go to school until January, so he could pull 35-40 hours a week working and make some solid money. I'm guessing he'd be making anywhere from $1400-1600/mo at minimum wage here in Canada.

And that's a heck of a plan! If it works out like you described, HJ might just make it better than he even thought! Hell, this might have been his kick (no pun intended) to real life!

GG Gaf, with so many photoshops, FHUTA's, and etc, who would've known this level of charity was possible lol :lol

Also, i'm the only Portuguese in those donations screenshots. Damn we are cheap :lol
:(

D4Danger said:
That's the worse part about all this. HJ just needs a push over the finish line and he'll be set for life.
Yeah, I'm not too sure about "set for life". It's a diploma, not a winning lottery ticket. But he can always sue his school as a backup.

DarienA

Dark Octave said:
Yeah, I'm not too sure about "set for life". It's a diploma, not a winning lottery ticket. But he can always sue his school as a backup.

:lol Good one.

Wow I just got up and came back to check this, what a great turn of events. I didn't image this would happen.

That's an incredible amount of donations in such little time.

soultron, focus on your final man, and remember, integration by parts = best friend

iFootball

soultron said:
..Thanks to everyone who has donated thus far.

Holly shit GAf, I'm in AWE after reading this thread... this is truly awesome..

Soultron.. you're the man

HJ... hang in there!... get a job, finish school... you'll be just fine... and you'll have a great story to tell your kids in the future

Inspiring stuff GAF...

pd.. I think I need to get a paypal account..

Fucking tears. No idea what else to say.

I am at the college right now, and just spoke to a lady that I used to work for in the computer lab. I just stopped in to say hello, and we got to talking, and she says there is a part time, 15 hours per week position in September cleaning the computer labs after hours. The catch is that I need to be taking a class. She said that she will let me know by mid next week whether or not I can have the job. If I get the ok, then I am going to register for a continuing education class so I can have the job. I figure I will take something completely unrelated to elec eng, and hopefully full of women. Working at the college would mean 40% off the tuition fee as well for the night class as well.

I spoke to a guy, and viewed a place that I am going to put the money down on today. It is the 320 per month, 10% hydro deal. Internet is included, there is a coin operated washer and dryer in the basement, and the room I am getting is so nice. I will post pics when I move in. It is on the third floor of a house, and has nice big windows. There is also another empty room in the house, but it needs some work, which I offered to do in exchange for some money off the rent. Just some taping, painting, etc.

I am going to the bank to get the cash, and then going to go put down the money.

I also went and got a haircut, and had a nice talk with my hairdresser. She told me to go to the market for my fruits and veggies. I asked her to make me look good for Boston Pizza tonight. She even shaved my beard for me :) Said I look handsome.

I am going to pick up a toothbrush and a couple other small things at walmart while I am over getting the money.

I am still in shock at the donations. I can't explain how it makes me feel. I just want to promise everyone who donated, that when I have the money, I will either match what was given to me, and donate it to charity, or return the money to those who donated. That is the only way I can accept it.

God this is making me fucking baw. I think there were about 20 posts that made me dawsonbawwwww.gif

Really looking forward to this evening. There was an incident with my father this morning, but I don't want to get into it right now. Don't want to bring down this good feeling. Thank you everyone again.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Octave said:

:lol

it's better than not having it though. At least he can use it to find a job

mrkgoo

dietertong said:
Wow I just got up and came back to check this, what a great turn of events. I didn't image this would happen.

That's an incredible amount of donations in such little time.

soultron, focus on your final man, and remember, integration by parts = best friend

Like a veritable GAFferthon.

HurricaneJesus said:
I just want to promise everyone who donated, that when I have the money, I will either match what was given to me, and donate it to charity, or return the money to those who donated. That is the only way I can accept it.

Even in your situation, pride and determination shine through. Good man.

HurricaneJesus said:
I am still in shock at the donations. I can't explain how it makes me feel. I just want to promise everyone who donated, that when I have the money, I will either match what was given to me, and donate it to charity, or return the money to those who donated. That is the only way I can accept it.

Just work out your life and make things happen for the best! From your post it really seems that stuff is getting really better and promising. It's nice to know that.

Someone should edit the thread title to: Homeless-Age: A Tale of Goodness :lol

ultim8p00

Banned
HurricaneJesus said:
Hey, just thought I would check this again before trying to get some sleep. Based on the last couple post, I think I will take soul up on his offer, at least for a couple nights. I don't want to interfere with you or your roomates studies, so as long as you can have me, then it would be nice just to have some people around. Soul and I can discuss it some more tomorrow when we meet.

As for my father, sure, he may say that it is ok for me to stay, but I don't want to now. He told me less than a week ago that I have a place until next april, and then this weeks tells me to get out? I can't have that happening in my last semester. For some reason my family thinks it is ok to fuck with my education, and I have to let them know it isn't.

When I made this thread, I was upset and sitting in the library. I thought it would die quickly, but I just wanted to get it out. I am glad it turned out the way it did. I know things are going to be ok. They may get worse before they get better, but they are going to get better.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Dude do you have paypal? I can give you some american dollars when you really really need it. Damn your dad's a dick.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GAF can be awesome sometimes.
Though then again... gaming side has like 15 threads about game sales right now.... :/

HurricaneJesus: Your dad is a failure, you are not.

Fersis said:
GAF can be awesome sometimes.
Though then again... gaming side has like 15 threads about game sales right now.... :/

HurricaneJesus: Your dad is a failure, you are not.

Well, it's Gaming side :lol I'm a 70% gaming poster and 30% off-topic poster, and still here I am.

Gamers have the biggest Hearts :lol

Truly a remarkable thread, one for the ages that should never be forgotten. I'm sorry I can't help, I just recently lost a job but I have a supportive family so I don't have to go through what you're going through. But you and many members of this board are a inspiration, you for fighting on and the board members for the support both emotionally and financially.

I always wondered what NEOGAF: THE MOVIE would be about, hacking into NPD for sales numbers, holding a company hostage to create a sequel, or some other crazy shit. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to base it around this and I'd love to watch it.

iFootball

HurricaneJesus said:

...I am still in shock at the donations. I can't explain how it makes me feel. I just want to promise everyone who donated, that when I have the money, I will either match what was given to me, and donate it to charity, or return the money to those who donated. That is the only way I can accept it....

Life is giving you a second chance, a fresh start, to a new life... even if it's thru a bunch of "strangers".. make the best out of it, that's what you need to do.... make the commitment to yourself of not screwing yourself up because of the mistakes/defects of others 'closer' to you. That's how you will pay GAF back... or by posting pics of your new future girl :lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Oh shit! You managed to get a Paypal set up! And OMG, over $550 during the middle of the night? That's amazing! PMing now for address...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Frankly I would donate buy my Paypal has been suspended thanks to an expired credit card. Makes no fucking sense but w/e. If I can get this fixed Ill donate ASAP.

DarienA

HurricaneJesus said:

The best thing you can do for me, is succeed.

Az

I'll send some in as soon as I get home from work...

even though GAF cant agree on sitting or standing while peeing we help each other out when needed... :D

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Wow Soultron (and the people who donated money), you really came through for a total stranger. I am impressed.

Good luck with finding a job and getting back on your feet Hurricane Jesus, and good luck on your test Soultron!

JSnake

HurricaneJesus said:

I am at the college right now, and just spoke to a lady that I used to work for in the computer lab. I just stopped in to say hello, and we got to talking, and she says there is a part time, 15 hours per week position in September cleaning the computer labs after hours. The catch is that I need to be taking a class. She said that she will let me know by mid next week whether or not I can have the job. If I get the ok, then I am going to register for a continuing education class so I can have the job. I figure I will take something completely unrelated to elec eng, and hopefully full of women. Working at the college would mean 40% off the tuition fee as well for the night class as well.

I spoke to a guy, and viewed a place that I am going to put the money down on today. It is the 320 per month, 10% hydro deal. Internet is included, there is a coin operated washer and dryer in the basement, and the room I am getting is so nice. I will post pics when I move in. It is on the third floor of a house, and has nice big windows. There is also another empty room in the house, but it needs some work, which I offered to do in exchange for some money off the rent. Just some taping, painting, etc.

I am going to the bank to get the cash, and then going to go put down the money.

I also went and got a haircut, and had a nice talk with my hairdresser. She told me to go to the market for my fruits and veggies. I asked her to make me look good for Boston Pizza tonight. She even shaved my beard for me :) Said I look handsome.

I am going to pick up a toothbrush and a couple other small things at walmart while I am over getting the money.

God this is making me fucking baw. I think there were about 20 posts that made me dawsonbawwwww.gif

Really looking forward to this evening. There was an incident with my father this morning, but I don't want to get into it right now. Don't want to bring down this good feeling. Thank you everyone again.

So are you still gonna crash at Soul's?

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
It's amazing what soultron/GAF members are doing for HJ.

And I would help ,but I don't have a PP account. :(

soultron

Banned
Hey guys!

Glad HJ got a chance to read all of this! I have some stuff for you like toothbrushes, and I have tonnes of toothpaste so you can steal that from me too. I'm getting a bunch of things ready too. Drying a blanket for you that I don't use as we speak.

Also, I took a few hours to sleep, and I have to reply TEN PMs from people who want to donate further. I will respond to each of those and then let you guys know what's up when HJ and I meet later today!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This thread.

This thread is the reason I was willing to wait almost a year lurking in the background waiting to be approved. This thread shows that NeoGAF is the best board on the interwebs. This thread gives me goose bumps. This thread proves that the internet communities can be wonderful and caring. This thread has shown the power of the internet.

I'm so happy that I'm now a member of such a wonderful community! Thanks guys this thread is going down as one of THE best I've ever read!

<3 GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom