• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeless-age

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
ChackanKun said:
Ok, too much pages to read since i'm in a controlled traffic bandwith internet.

Let me resumo so you guys fill up the gaps:

- HJ gets kicked out of the house with nothing.
- Soultron (dunno if you're a friend of him or anything) get a paypal thingy so we can donate money to help him.
- I'm posting this.

This right?:lol

check!

add soultron offering him a bed!

soultron

Banned
ChackanKun said:
Ok, too much pages to read since i'm in a controlled traffic bandwith internet.

Let me resumo so you guys fill up the gaps:

- HJ gets kicked out of the house with nothing.
- Soultron (dunno if you're a friend of him or anything) get a paypal thingy so we can donate money to help him.
- I'm posting this.

This right?:lol
I live in the same city as HJ, so he's going to stay at my place for a few days with my room mates and I. I'm taking him to hopefully get a job interview at the restaurant I work at too, since we're starting to hire/train guys for September when all of the university students come back to town and BUMRUSH us.

A few people suggested I set up a paypal so they could donate to help HJ out, so that's what we're all doing right now.

vulva

OP, I live in Toronto during the school year, pretty close to Hamilton. If anything comes up and you're in need of a place to crash anytime after september, don't be afraid to give me a shout.

soultron

Banned
Happy Phantom said:
OP, I live in Toronto during the school year, pretty close to Hamilton. If anything comes up and you're in need of a place to crash anytime after september, don't be afraid to give me a shout.
PM him just in case he doesn't get a chance to read this!

Smokey

damn wish I would've saw this thread ealier.

I had $100 that I pretty much did nothing with, I would've sent it to Hurricane.

The Internet may have send upon us the worst in humanity (really :lol ), but things like these get's me thinking that it may have been just one of the best things to be "built".

Imagine HJ without a computer to use.

Dresden

Reminds me of the time when, on (lol) DailyKos, someone got evicted and another blogger came to the rescue by picking her up and giving her a place to stay, while accepting donations to help her get back on her feet.

You are awesome, GAF.

Dresden said:
Reminds me of the time when, on (lol) DailyKos, someone got evicted and another blogger came to the rescue by picking her up and giving her a place to stay, while accepting donations to help her get back on her feet.

You are awesome, GAF.

Typical liberals. Eviction is a great motivator.

Smash88

Banned
Good on you soultron. I live in Toronto, shame I can't help since I don't have roommates. Also, if I didn't live at home, since my University is close by, I would've loved to help out with a place to sleep. You are a role model for some of the people on this forum (never mind for mankind, itself) soul.

Smokey said:
Negative, I spent it earlier in the day :(

Could've bought me a login for Brazzers :D --- Err or helped HJ

Smokey

Smash88 said:
Good on you soultron. I live in Toronto, shame I can't help since I don't have roommates. Also, if I didn't live at home, since my University is close by, I would've loved to help out with a place to sleep. You are a role model for some of the people on this forum (never mind for mankind, itself) soul.

Could've bought me a login for Brazzers :D --- Err or helped HJ

Heh..although it really puts stuff like that in perspective when reading a thread like this.

:(

Soultron you are a good person! Hope everything works out for you HJ.

soultron

Banned
I will do my best to reply with screen grabs for everyone who has donated. I have so many PMs now that I can barely keep up and I don't know who is who anymore! You guys rule!

Keep the kind words and advice coming for HJ. Any protips you guys have? Ideas? Places he can go for financial/housing/etc. help?

What charity do you guys think we should donate part of the money to? I was thinking childsplay since we're gamers first and foremost. (This is OT, blah blah, I know.)

Smash88

Banned
soultron said:
I will do my best to reply with screen grabs for everyone who has donated. I have so many PMs now that I can barely keep up and I don't know who is who anymore! You guys rule!

Keep the kind words and advice coming for HJ. Any protips you guys have? Ideas? Places he can go for financial/housing/etc. help?

What charity do you guys think we should donate part of the money to? I was thinking childsplay since we're gamers first and foremost. (This is OT, blah blah, I know.)

Was going to suggest Child's Play as well, since this is of course is a forum with gamers. My vote would go towards that.

soultron said:

Not from America, so I don't really know :| Maybe if he moves to Portugal :p

soultron said:

Childsplay is nice. Any charity institute that helps children get's my thumbs up!

i wish i could do something to help but i have no money : /

all i can say is hope it all works out for you OP. i was homeless for about 4 months when i was 19, but luckily i had some really good friends in the area that helped out alot :D only slept on the street for a total of about a week during that time.

soultron

Banned
TOM, don't even worry. Sometimes just writing something encouraging is more valuable to someone than money is. Really.

S1lent said:
I know it's been said a million times now, but this is a great, heartwarming thread. :D

Weeks from now, we are all saying:"Damn, that was a great scam! Would could I fall for it" :lol

Kidding, kidding. But it would be a blast :lol

Meadows said:
I smell a mother fucking sit-com.
:lol hell yeah. it can be all about HJ and soultron living it up in canada (am i right about that?) doing there thing. there will also be some side episodes staring other Gafers.

we need an episode about that drunk emo girl that went to that guys house (i forget his name) and ended up sleeping there only to erupt into green, yellow, blue, and red guy.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Wow, gaffers do have a soft spot in their hearts.. nice to see in times like this.
Awesome thread, really nice to see so many people helping out....

it seems that a gaffer never walks alone..:D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
wow, im glad to see my fellow hamiltonians helping each other out. i'd help, but im leaving the city this month and everythigs tapped. :(

if hurricane is still sore for a job, the hamilton G4S branch is always hiring. always. you dont even need to speak english. :lol you'll spend most of your hours along baton street, usually at the general or they'll drive you to your site, so transportation was never a problem. The office is between gore park and main by john st, IIRC. [the same street the TD is on]

ChackanKun said:
Imagine HJ without a computer to use.
dude, its hamilton. :lol if you have a library card you're set for internet/dvd/blurays/books/job search, etc, etc.

soultron

Banned
Pandaman said:
wow, im glad to see my fellow hamiltonians helping each other out. i'd help, but im leaving the city this month and everythigs tapped. :(

if hurricane is still sore for a job, the hamilton G4S branch is always hiring. always. you dont even need to speak english. :lol you'll spend most of your hours along baton street, usually at the general or they'll drive you to your site, so transportation was never a problem. The office is between gore park and main by john st, IIRC. [the same street the TD is on]

dude, its hamilton. :lol if you have a library card you're set for internet/dvd/blurays/books/job search, etc, etc.
Another place downtown that is always hiring is the McMaster Alumni Call Centre. Really nice people work there too. Tonnes of single university-aged girls working there too. :]

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
soultron said:
Another place downtown that is always hiring is the McMaster Alumni Call Centre. Really nice people work there too. Tonnes of single university-aged girls working there too. :]
why do i only learn of this when im moving? :\

i dont hang around mac much though, im west mountain by the meadowlands.

Pandaman said:

We don't have things like that here in Portugal. If you're on the street, you really ARE on the street :lol

soultron

Banned
I can't tell who certain people are, so if you want a screen grab in a PM, please let me know going forward from this point.

Here's another update.

ppDONATIONS-4.jpg

soultron

Banned
ppDONATIONS-5.jpg

More proof that GAF rules. HJ probably has no idea that this is happening, and with such speed, so it'll probably be a wicked surprise for him when he reads this tomorrow!

Remember that if HJ decides he only wants X amount, the rest of it is going to a charity!

Thanks again to everyone who has donated so far. This is giving me faith in humanity too, seeing how quick to act and how generous everyone has been. So many people have offered solid advice and similar stories too. Remember, keep anything you can coming for HJ.

soultron

Banned
caffeinated said:
this thread is so inspiring.
It's Christmas in August for HJ!

Seriously, I think he's going to be pumped to read this. I might have to bring a box of Kleenex tomorrow for him and his happy tears.

soultron

Banned
Okay, so here's today's gameplan from my guesses:

230-530 Calculus Exam for me.
545-X Meet with HJ, talk stuff out with him, try to get him a job, eat dinner, etc.

I will be unavailable from 200PM until I'm guessing 800-900PM so any PMs about donations I will do my best to get reply with the PP/email address before 200PM or after 800PM.

I'll be updating you guys (if HJ doesn't) about how long he'll be staying here. There's a grocery store near the restaurant I work at, so I'll see if HJ wants to go there and grab some food for the time he's with us. I've got tonnes of BBQ stuff in my freezer, so it's basically up to him if he wants to eat my food or use the donations you guys have given for food.

If any of you guys who were homeless for brief amount of time know what HJ should do/buy or look into using the donations toward, post away. I'm thinking he should use it towards his rent or supplies such as clothes/bedding/etc, but that's totally up to him.

We'll keep you guys posted, as I said!

I have to get back to studying now, but I'll be checking on the thread when I take breaks.

HJ is going to be humble about taking the donations, but everyone who put money towards it did it to help him out, he shouldn't feel guilty about accepting anyone's help.

soultron said:
If any of you guys who were homeless for brief amount of time know what HJ should do/buy or look into using the donations toward, post away. I'm thinking he should use it towards his rent or supplies such as clothes/bedding/etc, but that's totally up to him.

I think that the money still isn't enough to pay for some rent. I don't know how are the prices there, but that amount would only pay 1 month of rent here.

IF he get's a job, part-time so he still has time to study, this money would help him to pay for food, supplies etc, while he payed the rent with his job money.

Of course this won't happen from night to day.

Rayme

Having your own pillow/blanket/toothpaste/etc goes a long way towards making you feel like a real-life human being. If he doesn't already have the basics like that, it seems like a good priority.

HJ, if you're reading this: keep up the momentum. Your attitude yesterday was really inspiring, and (I think) led to the support you're seeing. Keep your chin up, don't let anyone shit on you, don't slow down, and you're going to do fan-fucking-tastic.

soultron

Banned
ChackanKun said:
I think that the money still isn't enough to pay for some rent. I don't know how are the prices there, but that amount would only pay 1 month of rent here.

IF he get's a job, part-time so he still has time to study, this money would help him to pay for food, supplies etc, while he payed the rent with his job money.

Of course this won't happen from night to day.
I pay $375/mo for an all-inclusive place. I only pull about $600-750 a month, of which $60 goes to my cell phone and ~$200 for groceries/mo. It's definitely doable.

He told me he was looking at a place which, IIRC, was $320/mo that only charged a small% of utilities per person in that house. He might be living cheaper than I am.

If he gets a month's rent down, he's good for 30 more days. He's still got his CC to back him up, and if he's moving as fast as it sounds, he'll have a PT job (or two) within the next week or two. He said he doesn't have to go to school until January, so he could pull 35-40 hours a week working and make some solid money. I'm guessing he'd be making anywhere from $1400-1600/mo at minimum wage here in Canada.

DietSnapple

Neo Member
NeoGAF, fuck yeah!
Coming again to save the motherfucking day.

I'd donate but I'm so broke I'm writing a letter of appeals to my fin. aid office right now :(

Adonymous

Neo Member
Don't have time to finish reading this epic thread.

but HJ should be named...Fry...for obvious reasons, thusfar in the story.

soultron

Banned
Rayme said:
Having your own pillow/blanket/toothpaste/etc goes a long way towards making you feel like a real-life human being. If he doesn't already have the basics like that, it seems like a good priority.
This is very, very true. Hopefully he reads all of the great stuff you guys have been suggesting!

Also, sorry for the cheesy titles and memes. Just trying to inject some humour into this situation:

ppDONATIONS-7.jpg

agrajag

Banned
soultron said:
I live in the same city as HJ, so he's going to stay at my place for a few days with my room mates and I. I'm taking him to hopefully get a job interview at the restaurant I work at too, since we're starting to hire/train guys for September when all of the university students come back to town and BUMRUSH us.

A few people suggested I set up a paypal so they could donate to help HJ out, so that's what we're all doing right now.

After all you've done for HJ, I think you have a right to own him for life. Make him your slave. He's a homeless person, right, no one will care.

Also, don't leave him alone in the apartment with any valuables, remember--homeless.

soultron

Banned
agrajag said:
After all you've done for HJ, I think you have a right to own him for life. Make him your slave. He's a homeless person, right, no one will care.

Also, don't leave him alone in the apartment with any valuables, remember--homeless.
Honestly, the only thing I want to from him is for him to graduate and kick some major ass. I remember how down he was when his GF left him a while back in that one thread. I kept hammering the point home about how he should just buckle down with his studies and start networking with other engineering firms right away so that his transition out of school would be an easy one. My hopes for him are the same in this thread -- nothing's changed.

soultron

Banned
agrajag said:
Well, damn. Hope he pulls through with that engeneering degree and makes a ton of money.
He's so close now that he can probably smell his graduation!

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand with that, I need to go do some serious cramming so that I can fucking graduate with my engineering degree. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom