• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.K. Rowling goes on the offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

Also for all the US users here: in Europe you do not have a right to say whatever you want, you need to be ready to face consequences. UK is even more flexible in this regard, the burden of proof falls to the accuser to prove their words. See this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_v_Penguin_Books_Ltd

As I pointed out, what's been most concerning for me is outlets stating Rowling's Transphobia as a fact, when if that were the case she'd be facing pretty severe legal sanctions in the UK, especially in Scotland.

Can you imagine if these same sites threw around claims of a similarly high profile individual as being a paedophile or some other criminal type without factual basis? They'd get sued into oblivion for defamation!

Its like transphobia is considered a "free" slur on a person's character, which is really odd if you think about it.

AJUMP23

There isn't an English PM just as there isn't any English parliament. There is a British PM and a British parliament.

Scotland has never been conquered. It is the UK with England, Wales and NI.
I use English and British interchangeably because you would be speaking the German if it wasn't for all my grand fathers. :) Helps feel Super American too to insult you out of feigned ignorance. Two time world war champ over here man.

Cyberpunkd

I was just going to post this. It's way different for us Americans. The libel laws in Britain are no joke.

Didn't realize it was all of Europe actually. Thought it was just uk
She can still sue for defamation in Europe (once again - you do not have a right to say anything you want if it defames someone) but the burden of proof is the opposite as that in the UK. As in the case of Irving I mentioned:

Irving sued for defamation in the UK
The defendant had to prove their statements were true and did so successfully i.e. that Irving was a conscious Holocaust denier

JKR sues for defamation in the UK
The dude would have to prove from her statements she was a Nazi, which obviously is impossible, since she made no such statements

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

She can still sue for defamation in Europe (once again - you do not have a right to say anything you want if it defames someone) but the burden of proof is the opposite as that in the UK. As in the case of Irving I mentioned:

Irving sued for defamation in the UK
The defendant had to prove their statements were true and did so successfully i.e. that Irving was a conscious Holocaust denier

JKR sues for defamation in the UK
The dude would have to prove from her statements she was a Nazi, which obviously is impossible, since she made no such statements
Haha. Fuck me I thought you were talking about that pos Kyrie Irving, as he's also an antisemite.

ACESHIGH

Banned
JK Rowling right now:

"Come get some"
"Your ass is grass and I am the weed whacker"
"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I am all out of gum"
"I am gonna go medieval on your asses"
"Hail to the king baby"

Christ who gives a fuck
Zealots seem the most manic about the issue and in celebration.

Many think the devil puts the LGBQT+ thoughts they have in their heads, not that they themsleves are just LGBQT+. They make themselves crazy with this denial fantasy and hate intensely on others that won't play it.

More litigation by figures to keep public conversations closer to civil and less hyperbolic has been suggested. There's been a few cases in jurisdictions.

BlackTron

As I pointed out, what's been most concerning for me is outlets stating Rowling's Transphobia as a fact, when if that were the case she'd be facing pretty severe legal sanctions in the UK, especially in Scotland.

Can you imagine if these same sites threw around claims of a similarly high profile individual as being a paedophile or some other criminal type without factual basis? They'd get sued into oblivion for defamation!

Its like transphobia is considered a "free" slur on a person's character, which is really odd if you think about it.

You got right to the real heart of the issue. Only now it's starting to become not so free anymore...nature is course-correcting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Their most hated enemies are "TERFs" And it's easy to forget the last letter in that means feminist.

itsallsotiresome.png
Only because "terfs" females expose these male's and their misogyny/sexism.

Zealots seem the most manic about the issue and in celebration.
Boombox Shut Up GIF

You're very bit the zealot you project on this forum. Just in the far far other direction.

Last edited:

belmarduk

I'm so glad she's fighting back. She has done so much good for the world yet she is constantly harassed and threatened.

What I would really like to see is more pushback against these terminally online, peevish busybodies from the LGBT community. That's not what we're about and many of the things JK Rowling has condemned (Mermaids especially!!) are just what every reasonable person should be fighting against.

Bragr

Last year some kid got into an argument and called some transgender person a man and he ended up getting sued and, I kid you not, had to spend 30 days in jail and pay the person 5k.

Good to see the lunacy swings both ways. Maybe this will show people where this is headed.

In fact, the best way to show people their lunacy is to do the same to them. We should come up with a new term for trans, and for everyone in the trans community who doesn't use these new terms, we should call nazis, and evil and anti-trans and say that they are actively hurting trans people. Do the same to them as they are doing to others to highlight how foolish it has gotten.

Get new material. Ideologue.

Don't go around with your intellectually dishonest pseudo tard shit and label people on here zealots when you're every bit of one yourself.
All that effort for those cute little barks and no bite. Others seem to be able to respond and have a conversation. It's you that is the problem, you have nothing but your barking.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's funny - I don't understand UK's libel and slander laws, but I know they're more broad than they are in the US. On Reddit about a year ago I remember reading this comment in some story where another guy from the US asked why she doesn't just sue all of these people in the UK who are obviously lying about what she has published on Twitter and elsewhere, and there was a decent thread from that comment with British people chiming in.

About time. Anyone can read everything she's ever written or discussed in interviews on the subject of trans people and see that these people attacking her are outright twisting her words or merely lying. I hope she sues them all.

Last edited:

OZ9000

God I love this woman. Braver than most men who meekly fold at the first sight of internet outrage. Ballsy. Witty in the face of intense hatred and bullying.

She's a true heroine and should be a role model to girls AND boys everywhere. What an inspiring woman!
Indeed.

Another Iori

Neo Member
In fact, the best way to show people their lunacy is to do the same to them. We should come up with a new term for trans, and for everyone in the trans community who doesn't use these new terms, we should call nazis, and evil and anti-trans and say that they are actively hurting trans people. Do the same to them as they are doing to others to highlight how foolish it has gotten.
If one analyzes the phenomenon of cancel culture under the microscope, it is practically a new form of fascism, which would therefore fall under a serious form of crime considering the penal codes of some states, which severely punish even those who merely apologia without concrete actions.

Have you ever noticed that basically these people they behave as if they were of the criminal organizations, which if you don't obey their moral orders, they feel somehow entitled to violate all kinds of norms and laws to achieve their ultimate goal at all costs?

BlackTron

It’s like people have forgotten what Nazis actually did.

It's like they want to blur the lines and just use it as a "this is the devil" label, but then when they accuse literal genocide, it's like they didn't forget because that actually is what Nazis did.

Maybe they just literally forgot the definition of genocide?

Weird that a political movement that won't let you use the word "master" as a verb to mean "to gain skill" because it references slavery is okay with labelling someone as a genocidal monster because they disagree about whether biological gender is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom