• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.K. Rowling goes on the offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
rOrXfKr.jpg
gmilf right there

How do I donate to JK's go fund me? Oh I remember, I bought her amazing books, movies and game.

As a middle aged bloke...you go girl. If I had a spirit animal she would be it.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
The most insane thing i read about JK this week was that she was a single mom of 30 writing HP in cafe shops with her newborn in a stroller by her side. This after she had been abused and raped by her violent ex-husband. To write something as hopeful and cheerful as HP after going through all that just shows how mentally strong she really is. I wouldve written the red wedding if that had happened to me.

The people shes fighting spend their days on twitter complaining about other people. They have no shot.

The most insane thing i read about JK this week was that she was a single mom of 30 writing HP in cafe shops with her newborn in a stroller by her side. This after she had been abused and raped by her violent ex-husband. To write something as hopeful and cheerful as HP after going through all that just shows how mentally strong she really is. I wouldve written the red wedding if that had happened to me.

The people shes fighting spend their days on twitter complaining about other people. They have no shot.
Not to mention her mom dying 6 months after she started writing the books.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
i cant stop watching this gif, like is this guy actually get hit in the face with this stereo and why does the back of the stereo explode and how did they throw it perfectly level. Was the intention to throw this then pull it back by the cord but instead the back of the stereo rips off and hits the guy in the face full force?
i bet they did it multiple times multiple ways and they chose the funniest take.

Also for all the US users here: in Europe you do not have a right to say whatever you want, you need to be ready to face consequences. UK is even more flexible in this regard, the burden of proof falls to the accuser to prove their words. See this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_v_Penguin_Books_Ltd
The UK's extremely loose libel laws got so bad that libel tourism was becoming a huge issue so laws in both the US and UK were passed to prevent it.

As much as I enjoy seeing JK clown on troons I am also extremely happy the US has real free speech.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
You know I remember the old times when there was a no politics rule. It was a good rule. It meant absolute melts like yourself were forced to keep your culture war bullshit on Twitter or whatever fuckin idiot water hole it is you morons frequent. Those were good times. Once there was even an actual politics sub forum and that was a good thing. It meant you dumb fucks were contained and kept away from the rest of us normal folk who don't want to see endless threads of fuckin nonsense about wizards or whatever you dumb fucks waste your lives screeching at each other about. Maybe Lore and the mods might look into bringing that sub back, and give the rest of us a break from this endless bullshit.
I understand from this statement that you haven't been able to acquire Hogwarts Legacy yet.

OZ9000

Also for all the US users here: in Europe you do not have a right to say whatever you want, you need to be ready to face consequences. UK is even more flexible in this regard, the burden of proof falls to the accuser to prove their words. See this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_v_Penguin_Books_Ltd
Through the Wiki rabbit hole it is come to my attention that Irving was sentenced to jail for 3 years for denying the Holocaust. What an extreme punishment for a thought crime. Madness.

Last edited:

killatopak

I usually support lgbt people because I have friends in that group as well as family relatives but this is one of those cases where I have yet been given evidence of what their group is accusing JKR of. Like my sister, for example, told me she wasn’t keen on getting Hogwart’s because she heard JKR is a transphobe or something but I haven’t been given exact quotes or evidence to suggest so. Only hearsay so far.

I, myself, haven’t bought the game either since I’m waiting for the confirmation. Personally, I do want to play the game but I have my considerations to think of.

I wonder if the LGB is embarrassed by the T.
Must be frustrating being associated with so many lunatics.

It's frustrating because one of my best friends and several great people I know fall under the T. I fear they'll be the ones suffering the blowback the wannabe-activists are incurring, despite being nothing like them, and despite having zero responsibility for the actions of others.

To extend the topic, people within each other letter are similarly embarrassed by some of the people under their same letter. Hell, each letter has grievances from and against other letters, yet there's this pretense that the letters are in lockstep on opinions and issues.

Those are a few reasons why I resent the word "community" being applied by a lot of people, and why I don't apply it to myself for anything I fall under.

Eddie-Griffin

Cancer the womens baby so we can pregnant the panda, we are looking for igloos tonight Are you sexy?
Yeah, considering how the Uk doesn't really have free speech, and put a child iirc on house arrest (?) for a year because she reposted a video from the US and quoted what it said (got punished because she wasn't the race in the video and wasn't allowed to say what they said)

if she was really this terrible person doing all these terrible thing the UK would have locked her up and brought up numerous charges. UK officials are quick to do that, unless the people who dislike Rowling believe that ONLY she is exempt and officials won't do anything because she has secret plants inside that spare here and ONLY her from local regulation.

I find that very hard to believe.

GloveSlap

She seems like one of those 90s liberals back then would have been considered very progressive who all of a sudden finds themselves being called Nazis. Many people including me feel politically homeless.
I would even go as far to say a 2010-2015 liberal, but yes.

FunkMiller

It would probably do a lot of the rabid Reeeee activists good to understand what she’s actually been through. If you’re screaming about being persecuted and having violence done against you because of a tweet, best not do it to someone who has actually been persecuted and had violence done against them. You’ll fucking lose.

Marvel14

tl;dr "Drag queen and jazz hands enthusiast" threatens to burn J.K. Rowling alive and calls her a Nazi on Twitter. Rowling uses the UK's libel laws to sue them and gets a public apology on Twitter.

Someone should show Rowling that forum thread about her on that other place.

This JJ Welles is a total nutcase. They should be required to visit Auschwitz to understand what "aligned Nazi views" actually means. Should stop the shooting the old mouth off in its tracks.

The entire Reshitera mod crew should do the same so they can put their nutty intolerance crusade into perspective.

Last edited:

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Yeah, considering how the Uk doesn't really have free speech, and put a child iirc on house arrest (?) for a year because she reposted a video from the US and quoted what it said (got punished because she wasn't the race in the video and wasn't allowed to say what they said)

if she was really this terrible person doing all these terrible thing the UK would have locked her up and brought up numerous charges. UK officials are quick to do that, unless the people who dislike Rowling believe that ONLY she is exempt and officials won't do anything because she has secret plants inside that spare here and ONLY her from local regulation.

I find that very hard to believe.
Somehow I doubt one of the world's most well known authors who happens to be worth a billion dollars isn't going to get locked up for hate speech - hate speech or not.

lifa-cobex

As much as I find it funny to watch someone grovel for forgiveness for something they probably themselves wanted (a restriction of freedom of speech),
I'm still against arresting/ suing people over it.
I can see suing someone over damages of reputation that then leads to loss of income....
But you would have to prove damages.
In JK's case. People have been parroting the nazi Terf shit for a long ass time now (which I do believe is all BS)
I wouldn't even know who she could sue at this point as it's spiraled out of control.

I get a kick out of it biting them in the ass, but I've always been a free speech absolutist.

FunkMiller

As much as I find it funny to watch someone grovel for forgiveness for something they probably themselves wanted (a restriction of freedom of speech),
I'm still against arresting/ suing people over it.
I can see suing someone over damages of reputation that then leads to loss of income....
But you would have to prove damages.
In JK's case. People have been parroting the nazi Terf shit for a long ass time now (which I do believe is all BS)
I wouldn't even know who she could sue at this point as it's spiraled out of control.

I get a kick out of it biting them in the ass, but I've always been a free speech absolutist.

She, or anybody else, has the right to sue another individual, if that individual makes defamatory comments that could materially affect the subject's reputation, or livelihood.

This is absolutely right and correct.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Jazz hand enthusiast must be the most retarded thing to be proud of in this planet.
I don’t look often, but I’ve yet to see a twitter bio that didn’t make me want to puke.

It’s always such a desperate attempt to pimp yourself, with a little pinch of irony or attempt at being cute, in some effort to make it palatable.

Then you get people like Amber Heard who first and foremost describe themselves as an “activist”. Jesus, Twitter sucks. Better lately though.

Eddie-Griffin

Cancer the womens baby so we can pregnant the panda, we are looking for igloos tonight Are you sexy?
Somehow I doubt one of the world's most well known authors who happens to be worth a billion dollars isn't going to get locked up for hate speech - hate speech or not.

They've gone after famous people several times in the UK. Not to mention in this case there's an artificial national uproar over her which would be pretty hard for officials to ignore, if she was doing anything wrong or against regulations, but she isn't.

Again, if she was this bad person people say she was, the law would have acted in the UK, and they have not.

So the people who dislike her should ask themselves why that is. They should, they won't but they should.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Guy must have taken like 10 Vicodin, three shots, and punched himself in the face after having to tweet that.

It’s like getting pantsed in front of the “big dicks club” and exposing nothing but a wine bottle top.

Woggleman

This might be one of the reasons she actually supported Johnny Depp before it was cool to do so. Rihanna also did the same. Women who have actually been abused seem to see through Amber Heard's BS.

People take pride in survivor syndrome success.

People who hate those people are jealous lazy asses. You'd think they'd do the whole "dream a dream, and if they can be a success so can I". Instead, it's like it makes some people even lazier. Before the net and social media, there's only so much watching TV and reading magazines someone can do at home doing nothing. Now, people can sit home as jobless idiots entertaining themselves and interacting with other numbnuts 24/7.

Last edited:
I didn't get the whole jazz hands thing you guys wrote until I googled it now. I thought it had to do with jazz music.

Jazz hands is retarded.

Last edited:

tkscz

People are actually in the comments saying "meh freedom of speech"

The same people who love to say Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from consequences don't like it when they have to face consequences of their actions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
She, or anybody else, has the right to sue another individual, if that individual makes defamatory comments that could materially affect the subject's reputation, or livelihood.

This is absolutely right and correct.
Agreed, especially now that nutcase provocateur politicians have slandered her as well. This would be a win not only for her, but for all the less fortunate financially who get bullied by powers that should not be bullying common folk all the same.

You do have a PM, because you were conquered by England and the English PM is your PM. I have some Scottish friends who claim Scotland has never been conquered that is why I am giving you a hard time about it.
Lmao I know I have a Prime Minister, thanks. Scotland has a First Minister and that's what the person I was replying to was talking about. Our first minister resigned but we still have a prime minister. I know how the country works.

Airbus Jr

Litigate my emotions, daddy!
threatens to burn J.K. Rowling alive is in the realm of posibilites looking at the determination of these loonies psycopath

A real concern for her safety right now cos these people can be really dangerous the authority should take this matter seriously

Last edited:

Artoris

The only one to speak her mind in the middle of all this madness was J.K. Rowling

respect forever.

Last edited:

belmarduk

The Elephant House to be precise. Some of the best cakes I've ever had in my life and it's so cool to see the table where she wrote The Sorcerer's Stone. Seriously, if you're ever in Edinburgh, check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom