• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

McNum

Taking out an entire oil rig without landing on it doesn't get old. Or, well, it does, because I'm pretty much out of oil rigs. Free tip for my fellow helicopter warriors. Fly low, and aim for the legs as well to get the inner fuel tanks. Also, SAMs don't shoot at you if you're lower than them. But you can circle strafe them at 5-600m distance, anyway.

Also nearly took out an entire base like that, but alas, it required me to go down and push a button. Which cost me my helicopter.

You know what I'd like for a mod? The ability to lower Rico from a helicopter to push buttons. Like do a Spider-Man and have him hang upside down from the stunt position, and lower himself down so he can shoot and push buttons without needing to land.

The ground is for non-awesome people. Or for calling in a boat on a mountain and going sledding. Whee!

abracadaver

How much content is there compared to JC2?

I've played 16 hours now and already completed the first 2 islands. Is there enough stuff to blow up on the 3rd island? I fear that I finish this game way too soon.

I've played 16 hours now and already completed the first 2 islands. Is there enough stuff to blow up on the 3rd island? I fear that I finish this game way too soon.
Yeah, the third island is about the size of the first two combined (although it goes pretty quickly since you've amassed so many goodies by that point).

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So I'm absolutely loving this game but I'm at a point where I feel like I should be unlocking powerful goodies at a faster rate. I guess I'm on the second major island and I keep searching for military bases to liberate so I can acquire better gear but I've pretty much conquered everything in my map except one base that's protected by a Bavarium Nuke, which is pretty challenging without it being disabled.

What's the best way to acquire the most insane weapons quickly?

void666

Banned
Used a mod to unlock all upgrades. Now i'm having fun. Upgrades shouldn't be hidden behind challenges that are usually filler in open world games.
Dear devs, let me unlock upgrades by doing things that are fun.

Hip Hop

I'm wondering, what is there to fight against after the game is done? I think I will miss that part of the game if there is nothing left.

UrbanRats

So I'm absolutely loving this game but I'm at a point where I feel like I should be unlocking powerful goodies at a faster rate. I guess I'm on the second major island and I keep searching for military bases to liberate so I can acquire better gear but I've pretty much conquered everything in my map except one base that's protected by a Bavarium Nuke, which is pretty challenging without it being disabled.

What's the best way to acquire the most insane weapons quickly?

Mods. ;)

Even though the game has technical issues, I still want to pick it up via BestBuy's B2G1 deal before it expires.

Ol' school arcade gameplay sensibilities are beckoning me and as I said, I still need that Mercenaries fix :/

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Even though the game has technical issues, I still want to pick it up via BestBuy's B2G1 deal before it expires.

Ol' school arcade gameplay sensibilities are beckoning me and as I said, I still need that Mercenaries fix :/
I can attest to the PS4 version, and despite the issues it's still really fun. Amazing explosions, silly fun, great stress relief.

I guess I'm on the second major island and I keep searching for military bases to liberate so I can acquire better gear but I've pretty much conquered everything in my map except one base that's protected by a Bavarium Nuke, which is pretty challenging without it being disabled.
That's the third island. A mission to disable the FOW will show up when you liberate four provinces on Insula Striate, although you might have to do more on the second island (Insula Dracon) before that's made available.

Brizzo24

Booster level II has changed things...for the better. Now if we could just get the dev to add non explosive boosters :)

jDLxduK.gif

vypek

I hate these damn crash to menu....

Maybe I should take this as a sign to quit on this game until they get patches out.

Quick fire impressions from my PS4 Redbox rental (deciding if I'll buy)

+ Once you get the mechanics down (which the game itself gives you a glorious "install mode" for!), it's pretty awesome

+ I know most are shitting on the characters and world, but I guess as I Spanish guy myself, I'm digging how innocuous and cartoony it all is.

+ LOVE the options for engagement. My mind goes wild with different things I want to try!

+ I honestly don't understand the hate on the vehicle handling. Shit is arcadey thru n' thru and I had no problem adjusting. Then again, I go from games like Forza 6 to Driveclub all the time.

+ Maybe it's because I play methodically and am not constantly swimming in explosions, but I've found the framerate to be fine so far. Nice and crisp PQ as well.

+ Music is FUCKING EXCELLENT. Also, great SFX too :)

....but yeah, I'm feeling like this is a buy (^_____^)

For those who've beaten it, is it fair to say the game is about 14-15 hours long if you don't go looking for collectibles?

Also, does the story get a lot better? I just finished Act 1.

vypek

I've been griping a lot about the game but I do have to say that there are plenty of positives and fun stuff. After I took a base there were two enemy boats in the water that began to attack my comrades. I pulled one ashore as my team killed the enemies. I attached C4 to just blow it up in the water but the second boat came along as I was setting off the C4. The boat with C4 boosted into the other boat and both blew up at the same time. It was excellent. I think I might have the video saved for later.

Has anyone here had a glitch where holding down the grapple button to attach something also activates Rico detonating c4? It's making life very difficult, everytime I attach something he's trying to detonate shit and it's frustrating.

For those who've beaten it, is it fair to say the game is about 14-15 hours long if you don't go looking for collectibles?

I dunno, I'm at about 20 hours and finally started liberating the third (large) island.

I haven't really been collectible hunting, but I did spend a bit of time just screwing around. It's a decently long game if you're going for full liberation, I think.

Story-wise, it starts to pick up during Act 2. It's still nothing amazing, but it's structured better than Just Cause 2 (in my opinion) and the missions have a good bit of variety.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Took me 18 hours to liberate 100% of the world and finish the story. Ignored collectibles and side challenges.

jwtsonga

really enjoying this on ps4. All you have to do is disconnect your internet from the ps4 settings and that reduces the load times a lot. The framerate does dip but I expected that, game is super fun. With some patches this game would become a 9 out of 10, currently its an 8.

Rogan

Banned
The dipping framerate is the biggest issue of this game. Hope they can fix it with the upcoming patch.

This game is massive fun.

Purkake4

Banned
Booster level II has changed things...for the better. Now if we could just get the dev to add non explosive boosters :)

http://i.imgur.com/jDLxduK.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
The whole upgrades system is half-assed to the max. Uninspired/borderline-impossible challenges to unlock some very basic and boring upgrades (precision aim, really?) when they could give you amazing things starting from non-explosive boosters.

GHG

The whole upgrades system is half-assed to the max. Uninspired/borderline-impossible challenges to unlock some very basic and boring upgrades (precision aim, really?) when they could give you amazing things starting from non-explosive boosters.

The challenges are anything but impossible. Most of them are pretty easy actually, you may have to retry a couple of times, that's all.

You don't need to 5 star all of them to get the upgrades either.

Fitts

Pardon my ignorance, but I checked out from following this game after they confirmed there wouldn't be multiplayer. Has anything been said of a mod yet?

Branson

Pardon my ignorance, but I checked out from following this game after they confirmed there wouldn't be multiplayer. Has anything been said of a mod yet?
I heard this on a podcast, I can't remember which one, maybe one of the Giant Bomb ones, that they actually brought in the developers of the JC2 MP mod to take a look at the code and stuff to get an idea of it for the mod. So I assume they are going to make that at some point.

ryseing

My air dropped helicopters keep exploding when the package opens up. How do I prevent this? Any particular place I should throw the beacon?

How's it running on PS4? I heard the load times were fixed but I can't confirm.

Not sure if they're 'fixed', but I picked it up Friday for PS4 and the load times are long, but not more than a few other games. Could they be shorter? Yeah, but it's not too bad. Longest I've had is about a minute on first load. I'm not seeing much framerate slowdown at all either. I've been really looking for it because I was worried at all the reports but in 15 hours I've had maybe 4 or 5 very minor frame drops and that was when I was blowing up half a base at one time.

Game itself is awesome. Some of the random stuff really cracks me up.

The challenges are anything but impossible. Most of them are pretty easy actually, you may have to retry a couple of times, that's all.

Yep. I've pretty much 3 or 4 star'ed them all first try except the plane ones. I really, really suck at flying the planes for some reason.

EDIT:
Load times aren't fixed. Challenges take a min or two to start on my end.

Just loading the game from the start takes 2-3 minutes. Unless it's my PS4

We must've posted at the same time. I don't think it's your PS4. I think most of it is the online connection of the game to their servers. Load times are definitely improved for me if I go offline, but they aren't too bad in online mode so I leave it on.

Okay.... looks like the honeymoon is over

THESE...

....FUCKING...

...LOADTIMES!!!!! (O____o)

HOW did they think this was fit for release!?

Fitts

I heard this on a podcast, I can't remember which one, maybe one of the Giant Bomb ones, that they actually brought in the developers of the JC2 MP mod to take a look at the code and stuff to get an idea of it for the mod. So I assume they are going to make that at some point.

Cool. I'll keep my ear to the ground. Thanks for the info!

Brizzo24

I think it's really easy to criticize the way the game handles unlocks, and what you deem basic gameplay elements. I can agree with the precision aim thing, but outside of that I actually enjoy the challenges (a lot, actually) and unlocking advancements bit by bit. For me, the story has taken a back seat to liberations and challenges. I might be in the minority here, but I enjoy the collectibles, the challenges a lot.

Purkake4

Banned

I think it's really easy to criticize the way the game handles unlocks, and what you deem basic gameplay elements. I can agree with the precision aim thing, but outside of that I actually enjoy the challenges (a lot, actually) and unlocking advancements bit by bit. For me, the story has taken a back seat to liberations and challenges. I might be in the minority here, but I enjoy the collectibles, the challenges a lot.
For me the challenges have been either really annoying/tricky ring races or really boring assaults of empty bases. Thank god you don't need 5 stars/gears to unlock stuff.

The unlocks should add interesting features like the booster and the grenade mods not boring stuff like more ammo, tethers, boost, stronger tethers etc.

Top Bottom