• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

UWCJJKg.gifv

How do you wing suit upwards like this? I swear I cannot do this.

http://i.imgur.com/UWCJJKg.gifv

vypek

Just saw that removing wingsuit into a straight reel is a mod. I wish that was something that was just granted immediately. I guess I'll do some minigames I ignored before.

Just made it to the 3rd region. Already seeing more and more areas I like. Was sort of interesting to get to an area that was just one massive town with a ton of stuff

PC players, have you encountered the following bug?:

1) When I first installed the game, it ran at 60fps with everything maxed out.
2) I liberated a couple of town, but then the game froze. I'm guessing memory leak?
3) After the freeze, I restarted the game but now it was running at 20fps.
4) I tried restarting my machine, deleting my save, deleting my settings, verifying the install, but no luck. Whatever I do, 2/3rds of my GPU power seems to have been lost under the sofa.

Erban1

Posting again for a new page:

Anyone having challenge load times lasting more than 45 seconds on ps4: jump back to the dashboard after 20 seconds of loading, sit there for about 5 seconds and jump back into the game. It'll load much faster.

Hip Hop

Oh man, this is chaotic open world done right. It's like, I'm gonna keep coming back to this game.

After beating the world, you unlock "Sandbox Mode".

Basically, you can re-opress any town you'd like after beating the game (Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread).

I love this!

You also get a "Nuke like" weapon later in the game:

and found this Mile High Club easter egg as well.

ryseing

Despite the framerate/loading issues and the absolutely moronic upgrade system, it's still new gen Just Cause with a great new traversal system. So I'm still having fun.

Quick fire impressions from my PS4 Redbox rental (deciding if I'll buy)

+ Once you get the mechanics down (which the game itself gives you a glorious "install mode" for!), it's pretty awesome

+ I know most are shitting on the characters and world, but I guess as I Spanish guy myself, I'm digging how innocuous and cartoony it all is.

+ LOVE the options for engagement. My mind goes wild with different things I want to try!

+ I honestly don't understand the hate on the vehicle handling. Shit is arcadey thru n' thru and I had no problem adjusting. Then again, I go from games like Forza 6 to Driveclub all the time.

+ Maybe it's because I play methodically and am not constantly swimming in explosions, but I've found the framerate to be fine so far. Nice and crisp PQ as well.

+ Music is FUCKING EXCELLENT. Also, great SFX too :)

....but yeah, I'm feeling like this is a buy (^_____^)

Have you tried the motorcycles?

Rogan

Banned
Posting again for a new page:

Anyone having challenge load times lasting more than 45 seconds on ps4: jump back to the dashboard after 20 seconds of loading, sit there for about 5 seconds and jump back into the game. It'll load much faster.

Doesn't help on the digital PS4 copy.

xrnzaaas

Thanks. I could have sworn that sort of area is where I've been throwing it but I'll give it another shot.

I had a similar situation yesterday (helicopter went up in flames after the package dropped) and I think you also have to drop it where the ground is level. It can't be a hillside.

By the way, wait until you unlock the huge cargo plane. Figuring out where you can safely drop it so that you could then use it is not easy. :D

danowat

Banned
Anyone know if there is a google maps style interactive collectibles map anywhere?

I've got one rebel shire to find in the first group of islands and I can't find it, even with just the collectibles shown in the map filter in the game.

xrnzaaas

Anyone know if there is a google maps style interactive collectibles map anywhere?

I've got one rebel shire to find in the first group of islands and I can't find it, even with just the collectibles shown in the map filter in the game.

Have you tried zooming out the world map? When you do that you just have to start checking the sectors and you'll be informed about how many collectibles are available in a certain sector and how many you've found.

danowat

Banned
Have you tried zooming out the world map? When you do that you just have to start checking the sectors and you'll be informed about how many collectibles are available in a certain sector and how many you've found.

That's an idea, I didn't know it tells you per sector how many collectibles there are, I thought it just told you per "Isla".

Neil_J_UK

Have you tried the motorcycles?

After trying the motorcycles I literally thought my console was acting up and re-started. Why on earth they thought it would be good to add a 1 second input delay on controlling a vehicle going 200 khm is beyond me!

Finished the story this weekend, and I've now liberated the whole map. I have so many good games to play (witcher, wolfenstein, borderlands, etc.) yet the completionist in me won't let me rest until all the challenges are done and I've 100% completed the game.

Most of them are pretty easy but man, the wingsuit challenge at the top of the final island centcom base (can't think of the name) is a toughie. Very little room for error on big swooping drops and blind spots.

mintylurb

PC players, have you encountered the following bug?:

1) When I first installed the game, it ran at 60fps with everything maxed out.
2) I liberated a couple of town, but then the game froze. I'm guessing memory leak?
3) After the freeze, I restarted the game but now it was running at 20fps.
4) I tried restarting my machine, deleting my save, deleting my settings, verifying the install, but no luck. Whatever I do, 2/3rds of my GPU power seems to have been lost under the sofa.
Could be that your GPU is on its way out.

performance issues aside (game seems mostly okay for me on a 980, but does suffer the occasional frame drops and has crashed 3 times in about 8 hours), is anyone else just disappointed by the game itself? there's a number of changes to the overall flow and mechanics from JC2 that just aren't agreeing with me.

MaxiLive

Lol,no, just the scooter

The bikes are pretty rough...

I found the handling pretty bad but I was lucky enough to find the F1 car which made most of the race missions pretty easy to 5*

I've been enjoying the game a lot but I'm far too focused on missions/side quests rather than messing about as I keep getting that next upgrade itch.

mintylurb

performance issues aside (game seems mostly okay for me on a 980, but does suffer the occasional frame drops and has crashed 3 times in about 8 hours), is anyone else just disappointed by the game itself? there's a number of changes to the overall flow and mechanics from JC2 that just aren't agreeing with me.

Challenges really break up the flow of the game for me. And Mario..;/

Neil_J_UK

I was a huge huge fan of JC2, and while I do like JC3, I feel like the world itself is nowhere near as interesting/memorable, and the story missions are completely forgettable compared to some of the missions in JC2.

you know, in a game designed to blow shit up in cool ways and to do cool stuff, it's a sin to lock all the cool toys behind challenges. that should be 100 sins right there actually.

McNum

I found all the Di Ravello tapes. That unlocked a certain helicopter. That thing is all kinds of mean. It's amusingly fast, it can probably outrun the jets, it has rapid fire rockets, enough armor to take three SAM hits before even beginning to smoke...
and a 10-ish second Bavarium Shield so it doesn't HAVE to.

On a related note, I also got the "This was supposed to be a Western!" achievement for taking out an entire base without leaving my vehicle. Yes, base, not outpost. Base.

One thing about that helicopter makes me worry a bit... This thing has "Final boss, but playable" written all over it. I am not sure I want to be on the unpleasant end of this thing. Then again, if it IS the final boss, I'll call in my own and duel with it!

the gears/mods/challenges gameplay loop is frustrating and awful. especially given what they lock away behind some of the mods (precision aiming? are you kidding me?) feels like it should be available at the start of the game.

It's sad how much more fun the game is once you unlock all the mods. It's almost like I'll have all this unlocked just in time to have 90% of the story already completed.

I love this game, but the design is awful and some of the project higher-ups at Avalanche should be demoted. The unlock system in Just Cause 3 is akin to the early 2000s-era of adventure/action game design. Archaic and anti-fun.

I'm not against the unlocking system but I think having some of the essential mods tied to unlocking the first one third of the story would have been a good idea.

Woffls

Super happy with the performance of this game on my 750 Ti. Helped a fair amount by my 5820k and 16GB DDR4 for sure, but this GPU cost me £120 eighteen months ago. Should be able to hold out for HBM quite comfortably, though Dark Souls 3 has me worried...

Anyway, I think my save file has magically disappeared after 45 hours of progress. Umm, I don't think this has happened to me with Steam before. There's not even a cloud conflict so I don't know what to do :( The save folder is jookeeesss.

I was a huge huge fan of JC2, and while I do like JC3, I feel like the world itself is nowhere near as interesting/memorable, and the story missions are completely forgettable compared to some of the missions in JC2.

JC2 felt like barely controlled chaos, but chaos that tended in your favor. JC3 feels like total chaos that you HAVE to enact some kind of control onto in order to progress. too many missions are completed seemingly by sheer dumb luck. the early mission where you escape from Costa del Porto was especially terrible.

Q8D3vil

David Tennant as the propaganda minister is fucking brilliant.
Always look forward to his explanation after destroying a base.

On unlocking mods, it seem that ex-volition guys that worked on the game ruined it by copying saint row system (which imo a shitty all around game).

I do wish the explosions chained a little easier. You can blow up a huge gas tank and it usually won't affect the other gas tanks lined up next to it. I no longer get as excited when I see a row of large gas tanks.

I do wish the explosions chained a little easier. You can blow up a huge gas tank and it usually won't affect the other gas tanks lined up next to it. I no longer get as excited when I see a row of large gas tanks.

I notice this also. I think on some challenges the best strategy is to shoot a bunch of stuff to weaken it but not destroy anything; the timer starts once the first object is destroyed. So once you get everything a shot or two from exploding, just blow up whatever is hardest to reach first and you can easily turn to blast the rest no problem.

Should work, anyway. Haven't tested it yet.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Finally got used to the wingsuit. Holy shit this is awesome.

They should have their wingsuit team help tune the motorcycles, 'cause the wingsuit is amazing. And I don't care if we end up with flying motorcycles, it'll be better than what we've got now.

vypek

Despite the framerate/loading issues and the absolutely moronic upgrade system, it's still new gen Just Cause with a great new traversal system. So I'm still having fun.

you know, in a game designed to blow shit up in cool ways and to do cool stuff, it's a sin to lock all the cool toys behind challenges. that should be 100 sins right there actually.

the gears/mods/challenges gameplay loop is frustrating and awful. especially given what they lock away behind some of the mods (precision aiming? are you kidding me?) feels like it should be available at the start of the game.

Yes, yes yes. The upgrade system is complete garbage. There are much better ways to lock away upgrades. I can't believe someone...no, a group of people thought this was good design. I have to do boring challenges to unlock reel-in from wingsuit? Moronic. Fun overall but still really really frustrating that they chose a bad upgrade system. I shouldn't be near the end of all the liberation and the game before I can have fun with everything. There is no use getting all the fun toys when you only have a little time to play with them. Avalanche New York made really bad mistakes.

Honestly, they need to do a patch where you can do new game plus or something to just unlock everything. Give me 5 gears in everything and let me have everything right from the start. Someone pitch that to Opelova. (I don't think it will help since I don't feel like Avalanche is a team that would fix up such a poor design choice...but it would be nice if they did).

Right, the world is kind of boring to me too. They tried to make a story that was more serious but still comedic and I don't think it works at all. Should have embraced full on goofiness. The world is not as great as before. The world is relatively empty for its size. I wish there was more stuff strewn about but I guess they did not have time.

The shooting is really weak and vehicle controls are trash.

I can forgive the shooting but the vehicles are pretty much all around awful. I'm trying to find one vehicle from each type to try and master...or at least manage with.

I notice this also. I think on some challenges the best strategy is to shoot a bunch of stuff to weaken it but not destroy anything; the timer starts once the first object is destroyed. So once you get everything a shot or two from exploding, just blow up whatever is hardest to reach first and you can easily turn to blast the rest no problem.

Should work, anyway. Haven't tested it yet.

Sounds like a good idea. I have thought of trying to set up tethers on some objects and then pulling them all down at the same time when I start

vypek

Oh yeah, still the issue of possibly being trapped in open water. Add some "buoyancy" mod to the grappling hook or something. Don't need to be realistic. Let me reel on water or have some option to easily get moving when in deep, open water.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Oh yeah, still the issue of possibly being trapped in open water. Add some "buoyancy" mod to the grappling hook or something. Don't need to be realistic. Let me reel on water or have some option to easily get moving when in deep, open water.

Pretty sure they spawn people with boats nearby if there aren't any.

Also wise to keep a rebel drop beacon handy.

vypek

Pretty sure they spawn people with boats nearby if there aren't any.

Also wise to keep a rebel drop beacon handy.

Yeah, I've been keeping rebel drop beacons in stock almost all the time but the one time I didn't have it was the one time I got stuck in open water. I didn't see anyone spawn with a boat but I may have just missed it. I guess I could try and find out but purposefully getting "stranded" out there

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Yeah, I've been keeping rebel drop beacons in stock almost all the time but the one time I didn't have it was the one time I got stuck in open water. I didn't see anyone spawn with a boat but I may have just missed it. I guess I could try and find out but purposefully getting "stranded" out there

you can also just restart. or jack a nearby boat, i never been in just water without a boat off in the distance.

Top Bottom