• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I do have increased reservations about Miriam's costume. I think it's the bare legs and skirt. They just look kind of silly (and I would say the same for the early Belmonts).

If they are using 3D models, it'd be cool if there were alternate outfits/skins.

Redtale

Neo Member
I'm really scared for the Harmony of Despair mode now. I don't think we'll make it. Godfuckingdammit.

Don't worry, it'll reach that goal. It just needs to average $67600 these last 4 days to reach $4 million. Considering today's total is already at $96912 with 2 hours to go, we're in good shape.

georly

Don't worry, it'll reach that goal. It just needs to average $67600 these last 4 days to reach $4 million. Considering today's total is already at $96912 with 2 hours to go, we're in good shape.

Just bump the amano tier from 10 to 1000 and it'll be backed by tomorrow.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wonder if the huge success this kickstarter ended up being might mean that Deep Silver put some more funding themselves towards that $5m stretch goal. I'm really curious what it is.

Well, it's nice to see IGA giving his opinion on it. Seeing the video, I too felt she moved a bit slow, and seeing IGA say he'd prefer a sped up jogging speed made me nod in agreement.

Then you should probably keep watching~

Iga ends up saying "The speed is good, the animation just needs to be changed to look like more of a jog. The speed is nice!" something along those lines.

Eusis

VERY smooth animation, I guess they may go for a sprite-like look but not the animation of such.

But then SotN impressed me with its amazingly smooth animation for Alucard, so logically it'd be pointless effort or an outright downgrade to try to throttle that in the name of a 2D feel. Better to have stuff that looks like sprites but with 30+ frames of animation per second.

Crocodile

Aside from the fact that Miriam moves too slow (which I will spam in all the comment sections so they get that point) and some jankiness of the animation (which is fine because this represents only 2 weeks worth of work) that footage looks great. I expect the HUD to change but otherwise that nails the concept art (which means things should only look better with more dev time). I hope people can shut up now about "but but Mighty No. 9".

I'm really scared for the Harmony of Despair mode now. I don't think we'll make it. Godfuckingdammit.

A natural disaster of world-ending proportions or some heinous scandal breaking out in the next few days are the only things that could stop the $4 million goal from being reached.

I do have increased reservations about Miriam's costume. I think it's the bare legs and skirt. They just look kind of silly (and I would say the same for the early Belmonts).

If they are using 3D models, it'd be cool if there were alternate outfits/skins.

I'd be shocked, SHOCKED if that didn't happen. Between armors you can collect in the castle, to cheat codes to DLC I'd expect different outfits to be available.

I suggest you all play that demo video, mute it, and play this music in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zB1HelWFNw

:')

I like the cut of your jib ;-)

georly

Then you should probably keep watching~

Iga ends up saying "The speed is good, the animation just needs to be changed to look like more of a jog. The speed is nice!" something along those lines.
GtktUaP.gif

L9IhSjB.gif

Iga's the man, Iga's got this.

Stop freaking out over small stuff

luka

Loves Robotech S1
they can add all the depth they want into the backgrounds, but i hope they keep the camera angle on the foreground/floor as flat as possible. the whole talk of angling it more so the floor is visible kind of upsets me since that's the biggest thing i dislike about nearly all modern 3d sidescrollers. i think only the NSMB games keep a flat perspective on the foreground these days, and they're so much better for it.

Ishida

Banned
So Iga wants to change from a Belmont Strut, to an Alucard Trot.

The way (And speed) he moves his arms on that gif reminds me of Alucard's animation. XD

L9IhSjB.gif

tumblr_inline_nc6x813VH31r8z4qq.gif

jett

D-Member
Alucard has the best walking ever, period. Animation and movespeed is perfect. Hopefully inti creates can match that feel.

Hopefully this doesn't need to be said, but let's hope people remember these are literally the first and most basic animations made just to prototype Miriam's movement. This is Day 1 stuff. Expect everything to improve drastically as the game progresses.

Gbraga

That video was siiiiiiiiiiick, I'm honestly surprised by how much of the 2D feel they already have so damn early in development.

This is all I hope for.

I'd spend all my money on DLC costumes.

georly

That video was siiiiiiiiiiick, I'm honestly surprised by how much of the 2D feel they already have so damn early in development.

This is all I hope for.

I'd spend all my money on DLC costumes.

Oh, please no microtransactions ;_; especially since i'm already forking over 100+ for this baby.

The Shanoa Conundrum

ShanoaMod.gif

Yeah, they clearly modified the runspeed after it was too late to modify the walking animation :/

Fortunately, that's not as big of an issue with 3D models.

Dice

Iga has it right. She's technically in a race against time with a curse affecting her body. She isn't going to be leisurely strolling about. I expect something kind of dramatic looking, similar to Order of Ecclesia (without the forward moonwalk effect)

Watching that video just about made me spill my coffee with glee. It may be a simple walk, but all is right. All doubts gone. That is a game I must play. If I hadn't already bumped my pledge up to the $100 tier, I would be doing so right now.

Kazuhira

I hope they can reach the "3rd playable character" goal before the kickstarter ends,i don´t care about the others.
Although i´m a little curious to know what´s the 5 million goal.

Gbraga

Just sprinkle alt costumes in the secret rooms.

Oh yeah, it would be disappointing to have nothing in the game and all of them as DLC, I was thinking more about post release content, it would be nice to get new costumes every now and then.

Dang, stylistically, I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing already. I know it's off screen so it's hard to tell too well, but I'm liking the shading and outlining (plus seemingly not being able to make out much facial detail, which I consider a pretty central part of Igavania main character spritework). Obviously the animation is pretty rough, but I'm not concerned. Iga seems to get what made the animation in his games so nice looking, so I'm confident we'll get some nice flow-y animation in the final game. Plus we've already got some moderately elaborate enemy death animations, which have always been another bit I've really enjoyed in his games!

Whenever I hear Iga talk about his game design, he really just seems to get what made those games cool, so I'm confident it's all gonna come together. Good, good stuff.

Alright dammit, I'm in for $28. I can't help it - I love platformers and Iga games but I'm terrible at them. But I don't care, I'll love it anyway.

They'd be nuts to not get the final stretch goal revealed sometime around the 48 hours remaining mark at this junction---they have to be figuring for that final 2 day rush, but I don't think I've ever seen a funding campaign seemingly ride it this close to the edge on purpose.

georly

Dang, stylistically, I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing already. I know it's off screen so it's hard to tell too well, but I'm liking the shading and outlining (plus seemingly not being able to make out much facial detail, which I consider a pretty central part of Igavania main character spritework). Obviously the animation is pretty rough, but I'm not concerned. Iga seems to get what made the animation in his games so nice looking, so I'm confident we'll get some nice flow-y animation in the final game. Plus we've already got some moderately elaborate enemy death animations, which have always been another bit I've really enjoyed in his games!

Whenever I hear Iga talk about his game design, he really just seems to get what made those games cool, so I'm confident it's all gonna come together. Good, good stuff.

Yup yup exactly this. Everything that comes out of that man's mouth makes me say "yeah, you 100% get why we liked these games" so I'm 100% confident he'll deliver.

Good running animation. Pointless secrets. Mysterious castle to explore. Tons of fun abilities and weapons. Added modes for replay value. He's clearly as much of a fan of his own games as we are. Nothing better than a dev making a game that they want to play, too, and not just making one for the paycheck.

My lust for art books could not be satiated, in for $150 now. Happy to see IGA taking such care with every detail already.

Man those signed Amano prints flew. I would love that poster but alas, I have other things that require my wallets attention.

Top Bottom