• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

going ps4 and vita myself

on a side note, Koji is such a sly dog. putting the vita version in the 3.5M bracket is genius.

rWswEMd.gif

So what formats are people planning to ask for?

I funded at $300, and if I understood correctly that will include a 2 copies of the game, plus all the goodies and signed stuff etc. So I will be able to request 2 format versions of the game when it's ready; one will be a physical copy and the other digital.

I'm thinking the PC version will be the "best." Although I'm sure all the console versions will be solid, though I wonder how the Wii U and Vita will fare?

I'm thinking maybe the PC version or PS4, and Vita since it would be cool to have it handheld as well. Not sure which to ask for as a physical copy.

I'll be getting the PC and Vita versions. I use my WiiU Pro Controller to play on PC anyway.

Redtale

Neo Member
Only $80k today, I guess the final push hasn't started after all. I hope they announce the $5 million goal soon because I don't think the current goals are enough to get new backers or get current backers to pledge more.

Moofers

I will be a little annoyed if they never disclose what the 5mil goal would have been. I don't understand why they wouldn't just do that from day one. Why the gradual reveals? They could've let everyone know what the ultimate goal was and had a month to let everyone rally for it.

Maybe I just don't understand Kickstarter strategy. It's my first backing, after all.

klee123

So what formats are people planning to ask for?

I'm not sure if the physical PC version is basically an install disc with a steam code, but if that's the case then PS4/Vita easily, especially if I'm spending 300USD on a special edition.

I dunno, I guess I've always had issues for physical copies of games with an activation key. The value of it diminishes when the code is redeemed and the disc basically ends up being a useless drink coaster.

That's just me from a collectors perspective though.

If I want the game on PC, I'll just wait till the game hits steam and just pay the 28-30USD instead.

Vitacat

I'm not sure if the physical PC version is basically an install disc with a steam code, but if that's the case then PS4/Vita easily, especially if I'm spending 300USD on a special edition.

I dunno, I guess I've always had issues for physical copies of games with an activation key. The value of it diminishes when the code is redeemed and the disc basically ends up being a useless drink coaster.

That's just me though.

If I want the game on PC, I'll just wait till the game hits steam and just pay the 28-30USD instead.

Very, VERY good point. Hadn't considered that. Thank you.

TSM

I will be a little annoyed if they never disclose what the 5mil goal would have been. I don't understand why they wouldn't just do that from day one. Why the gradual reveals? They could've let everyone know what the ultimate goal was and had a month to let everyone rally for it.

Maybe I just don't understand Kickstarter strategy. It's my first backing, after all.

They've been using the hidden goals to force fans to continually spam social media for the entire campaign. I've found the whole thing rather exploitive, but then again maybe the fans really enjoy meeting their arbitrary goals to unlock "backer achievements."

Vitacat

They've been using the hidden goals to force fans to continually spam social media for the entire campaign. I've found the whole thing rather exploitive, but then again maybe the fans really enjoy meeting their arbitrary goals to unlock "backer achievements."

Hmm, I don't feel it's exploitive. I mean, they're appealing to gamers, so they've made the Kickstarter like a game. Levels to unlock, goodies to reveal and obtain. That's how I see it.

Well back it at the $60 tier, most likely going to ask for the Vita version and buy Wii U one at retail (or if it comes out on the NX).

Really hoping we reach the Retro Mini game tier before the end. Would love to see at least something Iga related make it to the 3DS.

Istaerion

The PC physical copy is indeed just an installation disc and nothing more. The *only* advantage it offers is less obscured art on the case itself.

Hmm, I don't feel it's exploitive. I mean, they're appealing to gamers, so they've made the Kickstarter like a game. Levels to unlock, goodies to reveal and obtain. That's how I see it.

It's exploitative in the sense that they off-loaded nearly all the media / traction work to the audience rather than themselves. I honestly don't care much, but I can understand why others would have issues with the concept.

I do, however, believe that tying stretch goal reveals to the system was ridiculous and perhaps even detrimental. I would have much preferred if the community effort unlocked additional artwork, track previews, or overall silly things that didn't hold back the campaign in any way.

Judging by the comments people are actually having fun planning and doing these things.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
What if it's the inverse castle :/

That would be the best way to hide the fact that it will be in the game! If we don't reach the goal, we won't expect it in the game. But now that you have read this you're screwed either way, obviously. Sorry!

Crocodile

What if it's the inverse castle :/

I feel a bit bad for IGA here. Like, I'm sure he doesn't just want to straight up copy and paste SOTN's biggest twist (plus some people will call him lazy if he does) but a non-insignificant number of people are probably going into this game expecting an inverted castle too. Between a rock and a hard place I feel.

Sword Familiar

I feel a bit bad for IGA here. Like, I'm sure he doesn't just want to straight up copy and paste SOTN's biggest twist (plus some people will call him lazy if he does) but a non-insignificant number of people are probably going into this game expecting an inverted castle too. Between a rock and a hard place I feel.

They just want more of that high, I guess. Probably won't be as satisfying if you're expecting it though. I hope they have major secrets and all, but I'd rather do without an inverted castle tbh. Rather have (a) brand new area(s).

catmario

0qiZMu1.jpg

For those who can't back this until final day of kickstarter, Paypal options will be still available at least until next month or later.
But if you want limited quantity tiers, You have to back quickly before kickstarter finished.

Dremark

Banned
I'm buying the PS4 physical version to play, and the digital PC version for dem betas. 2 years is a long time, so being able to play the game, even in its early stages and being able to somewhat help in how it'll turn out at launch is just too good of an opportunity to pass up on aha.

I can understand not wanting to wait, but I personally don't think this is the type of game I'd want to spoil myself on. Glad the option is there and more people playing it means less bugs in the final release.

I always back Kickstarters towards the end of their run and I only just realised how much they're asking for this... God, I love Castlevania and Igarashi but.. ughh.. It's just too much.

I can always buy it when it's on Steam.

Not enough love ;_;

injurai

Banned
They just want more of that high, I guess. Probably won't be as satisfying if you're expecting it though. I hope they have major secrets and all, but I'd rather do without an inverted castle tbh. Rather have (a) brand new area(s).

What if we get an inverted castle. But then also an inverted inverted castle, which is drastically different than the first. Jinkies!

Amani

Hadn't thought of this. Think I'll also do the PS4 version. Might double dip on the Vita version depending on how much I like it. Cross-saving and all of that.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
0qiZMu1.jpg

For those who can't back this until final day of kickstarter, Paypal options will be still available at least until next month or later.
But if you want limited quantity tiers, You have to back quickly before kickstarter finished.

Oh that's great! None of my jobs have panned out for this month so being able to do it in the later half of the month will be great. :)

Dremark

Banned

The way I look at it, it's an incentive if it hits, it's a disappointment if it doesn't. Since we aren't all that close to 5M yet they are probably holding off as it's not all that likely yet.

The PC physical copy is indeed just an installation disc and nothing more. The *only* advantage it offers is less obscured art on the case itself.

It's exploitative in the sense that they off-loaded nearly all the media / traction work to the audience rather than themselves. I honestly don't care much, but I can understand why others would have issues with the concept.

I do, however, believe that tying stretch goal reveals to the system was ridiculous and perhaps even detrimental. I would have much preferred if the community effort unlocked additional artwork, track previews, or overall silly things that didn't hold back the campaign in any way.

The PC physical version really should be DRM free considering there is a GOG version. Surprised they never changed.

In all honesty it seems like they did a lot on thier own to drum up support with the stream, all the interviews, YouTube appearances etc.

They are pushing the fans to do a lot I'll admit that, but I don't see all that much more they could have done on thier own.

I think he's going to have to come up with a different twist to basically accomplish the same sort of thing. Personally I'd do a bad end followed by a second and possibly third castle. People are going to be expecting more game, might as well exceed expectations and have all new content.

kubricks

I saw Vita support and immediately want to back it!
This will be my first time backing Kickstarter a project.... I missed Castlevania so much.

Crocodile

I think he's going to have to come up with a different twist to basically accomplish the same sort of thing. Personally I'd do a bad end followed by a second and possibly third castle. People are going to be expecting more game, might as well exceed expectations and have all new content.

When you reach the top of the tower in the first castle and beat the "final" boss, you learn the tower is actually a rocketship that takes to you to the MOON Castle where you have to fight Space Dracula!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
When you reach the top of the tower in the first castle and beat the "final" boss, you learn the tower is actually a rocketship that takes to you to the MOON Castle where you have to fight Space Dracula!

GIGA DRILL BREAKER

I honestly don't understand this at all.

A lot has happened over the last generation or so that has significantly diminished people's perceptions of a game's value. App Store politics, Steam sales (and even major PSN and seasonal XBL sales), over-produced "AAA" games dropping to $20 in mere months, etc. On one hand it's nice to get games for so damn cheap, but on the other it's burned a lot of devs. Especially indies and mid-tier developers who have to compete with big budget games dropping to such low prices so quickly. :\

I gladly paid the $30 for the GBA and DS Castlevanias, but now I'm sure many people would tell you the biggest Igavania ever is worth $10 tops... "It's just an indie sidescroller", etc..

Dremark

Banned
A lot has happened over the last generation or so that has significantly diminished people's perceptions of a game's value. App Store politics, Steam sales (and even major PSN and seasonal XBL sales), over-produced "AAA" games dropping to $20 in mere months, etc. On one hand it's nice to get games for so damn cheap, but on the other it's burned a lot of devs. Especially indies and mid-tier developers who have to compete with big budget games dropping to such low prices so quickly. :

I gladly paid the $30 for the GBA and DS Castlevanias, but now I'm sure many people would tell you the biggest Igavania ever is worth $10 tops... "It's just an indie sidescroller", etc..

I suppose that's part of why these games stopped existing in the first place.

Redtale

Neo Member

Maybe you can warp to the past or future so areas are different depending on the time.

lol Space Dracula. That'd be cool if it were something like this to fight Igacula.

Fisico

Yooka Laylee list the console version for $24 dollars
Bloodstained for $28
Divinity $28

Your move.

So yeah I mean if you're only talking about console versions, excluding Mighty no9 you mentionned before and also putting aside The early bird tier for Divinity you may be right !

MightyKAC

Super hyped to see that the Vita version is a go.

Really hoping that this at least reaches the 3rd playable character unlock.

georly

I don't want him to repeat it, but it'd be nice if there was a secret that unlocked more of the game if you don't get the 'bad end'

Also I wonder how the map will work and how map/item tracking will be.

Super metroid would give you a dot to let you know that there was an item in the room, but the dot would stay whether you picked up the item or not. Hard for you to tell whether you need to backtrack to 100%.

3815178.png

Metroid fusion and zero mission let you know you picked it up. It would be a circle if you still hadn't found it, or a dot if you had. It was a godsend.

Metroid-Fusion-041.png

Then axiom verge, this year, had none of that, so it was tough to determine if you needed to re-explore a room. Instead, it would tell if you if you found all the items in a zone or not by using a yellow dot. Purple dot let you know the map was 100% explored.

Basically, I loved the circle > dot from fusion, and wish more metroid/vania games used it.

I've always had this idea for a really good '2nd castle,' which is basically that you time travel back to the beginning of the game w/ all your powerups and upgrades and you can now traverse to areas sooner than you should be able to, and the enemy placement is entirely different and all the bosses are in different forms (maybe a moth boss is still in its coccoon, or an evil scientist hasn't finished his potion yet, so he turns into a different monster, etc). And by going out of order, you actually 'fix' the future and prevent yourself from getting sent back in time. Maybe during the normal story, a portion of the castle burns down, so you explore its charred ruins, but if you get there early enough, you get to see what it was like before it burnt down and prevent it from getting destroyed, etc.

Hopefully the Kickstarter will reach the 3rd playable character before it ends this week. Having two playable characters doubles the chance of getting a Belmont style character in the game.

I initially backed at $300 intending to go PS4 physical and PC digital, but just threw in $60 more over the weekend to get an extra Vita copy. Looking forward to seeing if any cross compatibility stuff happens.

Dremark

Banned
Hopefully the Kickstarter will reach the 3rd playable character before it ends this week. Having two playable characters doubles the chance of getting a Belmont style character in the game.

Miriam pretty clearly is capable of getting a whip. Johannes seems to use one as his main weapon as well.

Miriam pretty clearly is capable of getting a whip. Johannes seems to use one as his main weapon as well.

I'm talking about character design specifically; with the linear stages it would be great to run around as fake Conan.

latest

Johannes does seem to be in line with Julius' design though. Wouldn't complain if he ends up being one of the extra playable characters.

I would like to see a second female character, plus a male one. If only because we have seen all kinds of masculine archetypes in Igarashi's games and I would like to see more feminine versions of them.

Can't get enough leading ladies, if you ask me.

Dremark

Banned
I'm talking about character design specifically; with the linear stages it would be great to run around as fake Conan.

latest

Johannes does seem to be in line with Julius' design though. Wouldn't complain if he ends up being one of the extra playable characters.

For some reason I assumed play style. I would have mixed feelings as I would like Bloodstained to be it's own thing buy on the other hand I miss Castlevania dearly ;_;

I would really like Johannes to be playable. I really like his design and along with his whip I think he could have a bunch of cool Alchemy attacks.

Sword Familiar

I would like to see a second female character, plus a male one. If only because we have seen all kinds of masculine archetypes in Igarashi's games and I would like to see more feminine versions of them.

Can't get enough leading ladies, if you ask me.

Make an all female cast. Johanna and Gebella, then add some more.

Crocodile

My assumption is that the second playable character is already decided (Johannes or Gebel) but for the third playable character, there is a pool of 2-5 other important characters in the game that are eligible and that we will have to vote on. Of course this means whoever is my favorite out of that pool won't win and the one I like the least/hate the most will win (like what happened with Mighty No. 9.......)

Top Bottom