• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Linus Tech Tips] PlayStation just killed PC VR

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
That headstrap design is leagues ahead of any PC headset in terms of ease of putting it on and overall comfort.
SYvALJv.png

Really?

Buggy Loop

Modding alone makes VR better on pc. Dude has soy face, opinion is invalid for that alone.

yes

RE2, 3, 7 & 8 in modded in VR

Countless mods. The mod community is insane. Almost anything you can think of, probably a mod for it. Even Cyberpunk 2077. Atomic Heart is barely a few weeks old and there's VR for it. Unreal 4 global VR injector basically makes any unreal 4 games on PC VR-able.

rofif

A standalone Quest 2 is not PC VR. Yea no
Quest absolutely is pcvr.
It uses oculus pc app and works with steam vr.
You can stream with a cable or airlink wirelessly.
edit: It is officially supported on pc. Quest 1 was using vrdesktop but quest 2 is fully officially pc supported

Last edited:
Yup. With its quality software and hardware combo at a reasonable price, Sony just gave PCVR the shot in the arm it needs.

RE8 mods are nothing compared to native support.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Quest absolutely is pcvr.
It uses oculus pc app and works with steam vr.
You can stream with a cable or airlink wirelessly.
edit: It is officially supported on pc. Quest 1 was using vrdesktop but quest 2 is fully officially pc supported

But you have to buy a PC

A PC somewhere in the interval of 2016-2023

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

rofif

But you have to buy a PC

A PC somewhere in the interval of 2016-2023

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX
The statement was "if it's working on pc".
Yes, it does and you have to obviously own a pc for that.

What you don't need a pc at all is quest standalone gameplay.

sachos

Finally someone that atleast tried to build a comparable PC. I expected more comparisons though but i guess he did not even try because there is no point to it. I would have liked for them to reveal the specs of that PC to see how it compares to the 150 usd less PS5. He also did not mention the triggers or the haptics so i think the review could have been better but it was pretty obvious he was blown away.

Crayon

So if you didn't watch it:

He is mostly on about the display quality vs the low price. Focus is much more on hardware than games save for using horizon and GT7 to demonstrate.

Notes that it's a tiny launch library compared to pc, never mentions haptics or anything, mostly compares experience with Q2 and Index, says it's more comfortable, very little screen door, aannnndd... that's all I can remember. Oh there was a funny part where they were playing a "where-am-i-looking" game with the foveated rendering.

Rocco Schiavone

I am terrified of Microsoft and am always concerned about them.
You gotta love the retarded open your mouth for the huge cock thumbnails.
(I know this clickbait garbage is better for the algorithm and money but I still don't give a fuck)
6ymgYXc.gif

I know where this is going... nEEd a ThREE ThOUSanD DoLLarS pC!

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Thing is PCVR has been built on the fundation of the 970 and has kept up pretty good outside of DCS or sim racings. Half-Life Alyx is still the best experience by far and runs on a potato. (i would recommend 1060 minimum still but..)

But..What are you really getting with the top visual games (Horizon, RE8) on PS5 is interpolation ghosting since they're running 60fps interpolated to 120 fps. Less than ideal settings too. RE8 modded, not even official dev support, at medium settings on a 2070 super wipes the floor in visuals with the PS5 version.

Resident Evil Village - Through the Lens face-off: Praydog mod (Quest 2) vs Official (PSVR2)

It doesn't take much to actually match PS5. The only thing it got for it is that Sony's own titles will pour more cash than basically most PCVR games outside of maybe Half-Life Alyx.
Thanks for motivating me to give Quest 2 another chance before selling it for a PSVR2 👍🏻

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I know where this is going... nEEd a ThREE ThOUSanD DoLLarS pC!

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Thing is PCVR has been built on the fundation of the 970 and has kept up pretty good outside of DCS or sim racings. Half-Life Alyx is still the best experience by far and runs on a potato. (i would recommend 1060 minimum still but..)

But..What are you really getting with the top visual games (Horizon, RE8) on PS5 is interpolation ghosting since they're running 60fps interpolated to 120 fps. Less than ideal settings too. RE8 modded, not even official dev support, at medium settings on a 2070 super wipes the floor in visuals with the PS5 version.

Resident Evil Village - Through the Lens face-off: Praydog mod (Quest 2) vs Official (PSVR2)

It doesn't take much to actually match PS5. The only thing it got for it is that Sony's own titles will pour more cash than basically most PCVR games outside of maybe Half-Life Alyx.

Eh no, I wasn't going to say that I'm not on any side here I just wanted clarification.

Doesn't a 1060 + decent CPU and all the rest end up being more than the price of a PS5 though? I do think the difference is pretty stark in your reddit link though regardless of if its more for the PC + Quest 2. I do think its probably a better entry point for VR all things considered regardless of the answer to my money question.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I haven't even opened up my PSVR2 yet. I've been playing HL Alyx through my PC on high fidelity and it's been amazing, this is probably my baseline for comparison to the PSVR2. Also a bit off topic but what other games on PCVR are as impressive as Alyx?

Sleepwalker

I haven't even opened up my PSVR2 yet. I've been playing HL Alyx through my PC on high fidelity and it's been amazing, this is probably my baseline for comparison to the PSVR2. Also a bit off topic but what other games on PCVR are as impressive as Alyx?
Its only downhill from Alyx. Sorry bro

Buggy Loop

Eh no, I wasn't going to say that I'm not on any side here I just wanted clarification.

Doesn't a 1060 + decent CPU and all the rest end up being more than the price of a PS5 though? I do think the difference is pretty stark in your reddit link though regardless of if its more for the PC + Quest 2. I do think its probably a better entry point for VR all things considered regardless of the answer to my money question.

I won't bother to scour ebay for old pascal deals, but, based on Richard's build, i would put a 6700XT in rather than the A770 for way better performances.

It would be overkill for Half Life Alyx and most PCVR. But at the benefit of console equivalent settings as per Digital Foundry's video (much better than A770).

Could scour ebay for a $75 1060 6GB or a $150 2060 super and save. I'm pretty sure someone better than me could optimize this even further, i didn't bother to look for SSD deals or anything. Same for the older Zen processors, plenty of choice there. Could probably lower power supply power, etc. But my lazy build is not bad, even with the crazy GPU prices.

Quest 2 + AMD build $400+$825 = $1,225
PSVR 2 + PS5 $550+$560 = $1,110

I'm not trying to convince anyone btw to skip on PSVR2, go for it. Have fun. Linus could have simply posted positive impressions of PSVR 2 like plenty of media did, but he clickbaits with "killed PCVR". I guess if he didn't, we wouldn't even have this conversation right now.

No but theyre not better than Alyx.

Im not saying every other vr game sucks lol but hes asking for similar experiences to alyx and that list couldn't be more different if it tried.

Also flight sim is boring as fuck, I'll die on that hill.

Sim racing in vr though thats the pinnacle of driving games

I mean, nothing is better than Half Life Alyx in my opinion, not even outside VR, i'll go there.

Still had a lot of fun with Lone Echo, RE4 VR, The walking dead saints & sinners, Skyrim VR (modded), Boneworks, DCS, The climb 2, Walkabout minigolf, Thumper, etc.

HL:A is simply in another league.

Last edited:

angrod14

I wonder what this shit does to your eyes. It's literally like sticking your face right to the TV screen for hours, no viewing distance whatsoever. Some insane shit.

This thread just proves how many people don't actually watch or read the subject matter in the OP.
This is one of those threads where you can definitely tell who watched the video and who didn't.

So many hot takes over a video title.

You're right. There is no responsibility for a headline, a title or a thumbnail to accurately represent the content of a video; you simply have to click the obvious clickbait and find out for yourself. Damn, it's a good racket.

Putting decent OLED screens underneath a fresnel lens seems like a shame imo. And so long as VR isn't a reliable profit-maker, PCVR will always win because of modders. It'll be nice if some of these PSVR2 games come to PC, though. But maybe not Horizon, I can't do heights

I wonder what this shit does to your eyes. It's literally like sticking your face right to the TV screen for hours, no viewing distance whatsoever. Some insane shit.

If you think about it, all of life is a screen. Or so a wise man once said.

Last edited:

Techies

No it didn't.
Not with that headstrap and fresnel lenses
edit: One other annoying thing for me is unnecessarily far focal distance. Oculus headsets have 1.3meters so at least shortsighted people see well.
That explains why I can't seem to focus at all without my glasses on the PSVR2, while I can on the Quest2.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PistolWhip is a port, sure. But it's a port with dynamic triggers, controller/headset feedback, and 3d Audio.
If games like Pistol Whip do it for you why weren't you all in on VR when they came out in 2019 (or plenty better games even earlier and ongoing releases since then regardless)? Sure PSVR2 is the latest and greatest VR set but it's not that far removed from existing ones and won't be the latest and greatest for very long anyway. We had oled sets in 2016, they didn't take off. Quest 1 was oled even. Sure it wasn't quite as good as the latest and greatest but the experience was there where it mattered with immaculate controller tracking, similar fov, early haptics attempts, plenty great audio solutions (built in like Index or just using your headphones) and many new, amazing experiences from Alyx to Lone Echo, from Superhot to Skyrim VR + mods, from Lies Beneath to Stormland, from Phantom: Covert Ops to Kayak VR, from Project Wingman to Contractors to Automobilista 2 to DiRT Rally, or whatever else is now getting a Sony port or analogous title, why did Sony have to tell some folks VR is cool (again cos they failed the first time too by botching it with retrofitting crappy tech not made for VR for it) for them to believe it when they play games they could have been playing years, almost a generation, ago, almost to the same level? That's all I don't really get with company fanboyism, not recognizing greatness and potential until they're told to. I don't mean you specifically, just all the folks who somehow didn't care for VR at all, even as console players surely there should have been some excitement for the medium whether Sony jumped in or not. Still, I'm happy it makes mainstream gaming media cover VR more (as they also did in early PSVR days before it was abandoned) and hopefully do so properly for all platforms because the current VR enthusiast media suck even more and don't cover 99% of it even though VR gaming is so much smaller compared to flat atm. PC will of course get the short end of the stick regardless as there are no real PC gaming outlets around since RPS went downhill but hopefully they will at least have a place to mention game x or y they hype for PSVR2 is also available for PC or whatever platform helping visibility so that PC VR too can grow as really all the issues people have against it are the same issues they have with PC gaming in general and that's always been big and has grown exponentially too.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Right...wake me up when alyx is on psvr2 cause that's the killer VR app and system seller. So far it needs to beat the quality of quest 2 wireless alyx gameplay at full graphics . Shits amazing

poppabk

Right now it's probably the best wired headset in the consumer level price range depending on which tradeoffs are important to you. It might keep the black level crown as pancake lenses are replacing fresnel pretty much completely.

Buggy Loop

Right...wake me up when alyx is on psvr2 cause that's the killer VR app and system seller. So far it needs to beat the quality of quest 2 wireless alyx gameplay at full graphics . Shits amazing

I'm on a new play-through of it this week. Keeps giving me chills whenever i play this game. Best game experience in my life probably.

Right now it's probably the best wired headset in the consumer level price range depending on which tradeoffs are important to you. It might keep the black level crown as pancake lenses are replacing fresnel pretty much completely.

Pancake lenses will match with micro-OLED for the more expensive headsets as of the production costs now. Its apparently dropping in price rapidly. Valve Deckard rumours say it'll be pancake + micro-OLED.

Reallink

That headstrap design is leagues ahead of any PC headset in terms of ease of putting it on and overall comfort.

LOLNO. At the most basic level, the mount design is too lose and wobbles off center with even the mildest head movements, which coupled with the microscopic sweet spot is a compounding effect double whammy. You can ratchet it to vice grip your head like a bear trap to approach some level of partial (but still not great) stability, but this quickly becomes a kind of torture device, resulting in a bright red forehead pressure and hair follicles itching like Poison Ivy. On a more specific level, making the only real point of adjustment a molded pad you shift up and down your frontal bone means it only works for the very specific facial structures and symmetries it was designed for. People who fall outside that limited range are forced to wear it too high or too low, which is increasingly uncomfortable and unstable. The HTC DAS strap and Index strap are both lightyears beyond PSVR2's, which is a strong contender for industry worst in my experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom