• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Supast4r

it's kind of amazing how incredibly bad this card is. Okay, Wild Nacatl doesn't start out as a 3/3 but you do not under any circumstances want your opponent to get an extra land turn 1 in exchange for a mere 3/3 creatures
In what world is a 3/3 for one mana small???? This will see play. It can even crew heart of Kiran.

having that many 1 ofs and a ton of stuff on the board with all different triggers and stuff seems kinda overwhelming

what do i know though

You could always play a Fun Police deck, I guess. (Probably don't do that, though, unless you're that kind of person.)

another thing that is overwhelming every deck/card has a nickname and i have no idea what any of it means

I mean, Fun Police I thought would be pretty self-explanatory, which is why I called it that instead of EDHatebears.

It's just running a big pile of cards that turn off everyone else's win/combo conditions, and/or a more-than-normal number of wraths and counters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Probably something vampirey.

I mean, yeah you can just spam 4/5 Dino + Double Dino + lame-as-fuck Uncounterable Dino and be doing okay.

I don't know that it isn't just playable as a 1-of or something anyways. It doesn't die to anything (including Hour of Devastation) other than Fumigate and other conditional wraths like Dusk.

And holy fuck Chandra, Torch of Defiance is 35 dollars again what the fuck
Red and Temur Energy are top decks. What did you expect?

Ashodin

definitely not the fun police

I recommend starting off by asking if anyone wants to play tribal themed decks. The newest decks are pretty simple and easy to drive (play). A lot of people enjoy tribal theme commander games and they're just basically to play whatever tribe they like.

A tribe can mean Merfolk, Slivers, Knights, Clerics, whatever. Just all the same creature type.

Santiako

having that many 1 ofs and a ton of stuff on the board with all different triggers and stuff seems kinda overwhelming

what do i know though

i wanna start playing magic but i got no one to play with

if i were to start id probably buy i budget modern deck since i dont really want to deal with rotations but it looks like my lgs fnm runs commander

i dont wanna play commander i dont think

maybe i should just buy a pauper deck and play on mtgo for fun or w/e

Do you know how to play? If not I'd start with Magic Duels on xbox/steam to learn the rules and see different kind of decks so you can see what suits your play style best. If you do know, I agree that commander can be too overwhelming at first, so you could start with a budget modern deck mtggoldfish has a good selection here, they are usually 70-100 buck in paper and 20-50 bucks in mtgo.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here :)

Yeef

Does your LGS not run any other formats, rac? Even if FNM is EDH, they might have other events that you can hit up. Your first instinct was right; Modern is probably the best constructed format for you, but you should also consider drafting. It's the best format.

rac

Banned
i vaguely know how to play, looking at some of the cards and keywords is rough though

i looked at their events with wizards store locator and they are all listed as commander and one prerelease sealed event

im not a huge fan of drafting in card games

Yeef

i vaguely know how to play, looking at some of the cards and keywords is rough though

i looked at their events with wizards store locator and they are all listed as commander and one prerelease sealed event

im not a huge fan of drafting in card games
If you need to learn the game better, Magic Duels is free on Steam. There's not more updates, but it's more than good for just learning the ins-and-outs of the game.

Wizards is potentially working on a new digital version of the game that will replace Magic Duels and, likely eventually replace MTGO. There should be more details about that in a few weeks. If the only store near you is all Commander all the time, then playing online might be your best bet.

Yeef

how did duels handle updates?

hopefully the game coming out follows standard rotation or something
They'd do an update with each new set that added cards from that set. Amonkhet was the last set before they stopped updating, so Hour of Devastation is the only set (at the moment) that's been released for reals that's not in Duels.

A little off topic, but:

Yeah, so TIL DesolatorMagic is an Asshole:

Screenshot_20170831-131441.png

EDIT: Oh Crap, I posted this on mobile, had NO idea how big that image was. sorry guys, quoted.

Santiako

A little off topic, but:

Yeah, so TIL DesolatorMagic is an Asshole:

Whyyyyyyyy did I look you up on twitter to see why he blocked you. Someone bleach my eyes please.

Just a heads up, preorders are probably gonna open up for this statue soon. The one with two head accessories is $850, the regular version is $800. All the glamour shots were posted today.

That seems absurdly expensive, but I don't really know about this kind of thing.

Wulfric

Whyyyyyyyy did I look you up on twitter to see why he blocked you. Someone bleach my eyes please.

That seems absurdly expensive, but I don't really know about this kind of thing.

Yeah, I kinda guessed what was on his feed. That's what you get for snooping. >:p

Nope, the price is on par with other statues this studio produces. I realize that this badass figure is 28 inches tall, but I simply don't have a good place to put this statue. It would need to be behind glass to start with.

Violet_0

Banned
In what world is a 3/3 for one mana small???? This will see play. It can even crew heart of Kiran.

you play that card turn 1 and pass, they start their first turn with 2 lands, access to 2-mana removals and one step closer to sweepers or their big bad creatures. And that's the best-case scenario, the dryads get even worse if you're on the draw or you top-deck them. The issue is that your opponent gets one of the best 2-mana spells you can cast early game for free

re: Des Magic guy, I looked up that twitter and he simultaneously seems to hate and make fun of Trump, women, overweight people and probably more (but I didn't care to continue scrolling)? He kind of comes accross as your average GamerGater and I don't quite understand why you'd be surprised that such a person is actually a huge dick if you check his twitter history. And, oh boy, he's not in the position to criticise how other people look

Hackworth

small time youtuber.
small time youtuber who keeps ranting about sjws, so he's probably a dick. Block him and move on.

On topic, how does everyone feel about the whole Vampire Conquistadors setup in this set? Not just the cards themselves, but the story implications too.

I kinda feel odd about them honestly, like having historical evil represented by actual monsters is both a good analogy and potentially a breakpoint from people learning about this stuff?

Idk, it's a fantasy card game.

Thinking more about it a Vampire church is oddly political of wizards. In so far that the church was absurdly corrupted at the time and bloodsucking quite an apt comparison of what the Vatican did.

Thinking more about it a Vampire church is oddly political of wizards. In so far that the church was absurdly corrupted at the time and bloodsucking quite an apt comparison of what the Vatican did.

Bloodsucking is even more apt if we're talking about colonial Spain. Those treasure fleets you see in pirate movies were all about draining the resources of their colonial holdings.

Like I've said before, the way they're handling the conquistadors is pretty clever.

The Orzhov kind of did this too on Ravnica. Corruption of the Church and such.
Kinda as they also appear like a take on jewry.
Bloodsucking is even more apt if we're talking about colonial Spain. Those treasure fleets you see in pirate movies were all about draining the resources of their colonial holdings.

Like I've said before, the way they're handling the conquistadors is pretty clever.
They aren't real conquistadors though, I'd be surprised if wizards handled anything close to the genocide. They aren't heading an invasion moreso than an expedition. Which makes me think Quest is gonna come back in rivals.

I told my local game store they may want to hire a police officer or pack heat for the FNM fatal push promo month. The geeks are going to slit each other's throats over minor magic mistakes in order to gain an advantage in getting one.

It thematically makes a lot of sense given that one of the things the Conquistadors were doing was looking for a source of eternal youth.

I haven't been following the spoilers, what is going to drive the scarab god price?

Might just be that he's going to be one of the bigger late game win conditions left around after rotation, and Ixalan hasn't really shown anything up to snuff for replacing him just yet?

We're about to see a whole lot of Standard's late game power go bye-bye.

Ashodin

The Legion of Dusk isn't evil tho, they know they're shackled by being vampires and want the immortal sun back to remove their vampirism

Justin

Just realized that GP Seattle is not only a 4 day Vegas style GP with both Modern and Standard main events but will probably be the kick off of Dominaria spoilers. Should be exciting.

Is there a disproportionally high amount of transgender among magic players?

For instance I would have never guessed Emma Handy was born in the body of a man until I read her bio on twitter couple weeks ago and stuff like that has happened a surprisingly amount of times. I don't know of anyone of name ftm OTOH. That also speaks a lot to the community for never once deadnaming her or any of the sort.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

For instance I would have never guessed Emma Handy was born in the body of a man until I read her bio on twitter couple weeks ago and stuff like that has happened a surprisingly amount of times. I don't know of anyone of name ftm OTOH. That also speaks a lot to the community for never once deadnaming her or any of the sort.

I think just saying "is transgender" is fine here

And eh, maybe in geek spaces in general? I don't have any stats though

I think just saying "is transgender" is fine here

And eh, maybe in geek spaces in general? I don't have any stats though

Totally I just had a bunch of text more and used transgender 1 too many times, aesthetically, within before I rephrased a bit and posted it.

This mgiht be more fitting for OT general, I sometimes wonder why transexuality hasn't become more of a hot topic issue in western parts of europe just yet. We're socially overall more left leaning than the US (while also in areas lagging behind in equality) and there's nothing suggesting there are just a lesser numbers of transgender people in Europe. So what gives, is it less politicized, a natural transition, am I missing the forest for the trees and there's a lot going on actually,...?

y2dvd

There are actually a few that plays at my lgs. The MtG community is very accepting.

kirblar

Magic stories will no longer have bylines.

I wonder if this is a response to criticism (attempting to remove the spotlight from particular authors) or because the stories will be written by committee more now than in the past.
This feels like an attempt to remove criticism from individual authors, cause you had Kelly Digges generally putting out awesome stuff while others were putting out some really bad fan-fic-esque material.

I'm not sure I'd say "disproportionately" high w/ MTG players as a whole, but due to the lack of cis women in competitive gaming spheres (and the various factors playing into the gap), we seem to end up with a way higher ratio of trans:cis women in this part of the community.

Justin

WOTC just tweeted out the MTG Arena reveal will be 1pm PT on the 7th and is being hosted by Jimmy Wong, Gaby Spartz and Amaz.

Top Bottom