• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Santiako

IEVuXSU.jpg

I wonder if Wizard realises they are terrible at realising any meaning for the PW symbol they've been pushing as the MTG icon for years.
WOTC just tweeted out the MTG Arena reveal will be 1pm PT on the 7th and is being hosted by Jimmy Wong, Gaby Spartz and Amaz.
Ah I was wondering how Gaby and amaz came into contact to costream together yesterday for 2 or 3 drafts. It was pretty funny and I'm continually impressed how good amaz actually is, not just playing and drafting well but he also knows all the limited cards.
I'm not sure I'd say "disproportionately" high w/ MTG players as a whole, but due to the lack of cis women in competitive gaming spheres (and the various factors playing into the gap), we seem to end up with a way higher ratio of trans:cis women in this part of the community.
A reasonable explanation.

Is there a disproportionally high amount of transgender among magic players?

For instance I would have never guessed Emma Handy was born in the body of a man until I read her bio on twitter couple weeks ago and stuff like that has happened a surprisingly amount of times. I don't know of anyone of name ftm OTOH. That also speaks a lot to the community for never once deadnaming her or any of the sort.

Well, by itself Emma being a trans woman doesn't really say much one way or another about if trans people make up a greater percentage of (male/female/NB/all) Magic players than they do the general population.

As for the overall question, I was considering writing a large statement about statistics and demographics and expected values but it was getting out of hand so the tl;dr is basically:

I'm not sure I'd say "disproportionately" high w/ MTG players as a whole, but due to the lack of cis women in competitive gaming spheres (and the various factors playing into the gap), we seem to end up with a way higher ratio of trans:cis women in this part of the community.

As for not deadnaming her, I feel that most of the more well known members of the competitive community aren't interested in pulling that crap. And any that aren't stopped by their own morals are likely stopped by realizing that doing that would almost certainly turn out badly for them.

Ashodin

Likely the SCG people don't give a shit and will call you whatever you like. As it should be.

Also smh at amaz. Trying to steal Hearthstone viewers eh

Whatever works I guess. Game will live and die on presentation.

As for not deadnaming her, I feel that most of the more well known members of the competitive community aren't interested in pulling that crap. And any that aren't stopped by their own morals are likely stopped by realizing that doing that would almost certainly turn out badly for them.
Good point, Ali Antrazi got hit pretty hard when he harassed a trans EDH player at an SCG event a while ago.
Likely the SCG people don't give a shit and will call you whatever you like. As it should be.

Also smh at amaz. Trying to steal Hearthstone viewers eh

Whatever works I guess. Game will live and die on presentation.
Amaz is an avid MTGO player, he's exactly the person they should invite for this stuff. Would you have smhd if they invited Kibler instead?

Ashodin

Good point, Ali Antrazi got hit pretty hard when he harassed a trans EDH player at an SCG event a while ago.

Amaz is an avid MTGO player, he's exactly the person they should invite for this stuff. Would you have smhd if they invited Kibler instead?
It's not a full smh. I understand they need people outside the sphere to get more eyes on it. They're far behind in the digital space and need street cred.

Justin

Hopes for Arena

- Sealed and actual multiplayer drafts
- Full sets and rules engine. If they need to start it with just the current (post rotation) standard that is fine and will allow them to keep MTGO going with anything older than Kaladesh.
- Some sort of redemption in physical packs for in game credit

ultron87

There just needs to be a way to play a "competitive" match that doesn't cost money and can get you some sort of progression towards more cards.

Santiako

The actual name of Magic Digital Next. Past that we dont know much. Some assume it is a Dules replacement. Others hope it is a MTGO replacment. It will probably end up somewhere in the middle.

To be clear, this is one of the products under the Magic Digital Next umbrella.

kirblar

Hey, what are cards you really don't want to be holding right now? I know Rishadan Port and Horizon Canopy are two of them. Any others you can think of?

This is about all I need to give it a shot.

Yeah Zero chance I'm building an online and offline collection w/o this, also makes the average value of a pack go up. If there's anything I've liked about this mess of a period in standard is that I was able to play a highly competitive deck for less than €100 over an extended period of time.

Fou-Lu

I just hope Arena doesn't dumb the game down too much to make it viable for the current Hearthstone based market.

Hey, what are cards you really don't want to be holding right now? I know Rishadan Port and Horizon Canopy are two of them. Any others you can think of?

If chalice is reprinted at rare (which is more likely than not) its price gets instantly halved. Paper value anyways.

Also, people keep forgetting that we have reports of what Arena is from internal alpha testers. It's not really a big mystery.

If chalice is reprinted at rare (which is more likely than not) its price gets instantly halved. Paper value anyways.

Also, people keep forgetting that we have reports of what Arena is from internal alpha testers. It's not really a big mystery.
I would say there are still some pretty big questions

Aether Vial/Noble Hierarch

I think it's damn near unlikely that Vial doesn't get reprinted in either Iconic/25. While not near Horizon Canopy levels of dumb, the deck. Same goes for Hierarch.

bigkrev

Modern Merfolk cards. Cursecatcher has been a $10 bill for like a decade now, will probably be a $2 card this time next year

Is there a disproportionally high amount of transgender among magic players?

For a variety of reasons trans women are represented at a larger rate in a lot of things that would be called "nerd hobbies" than the general population. If you look at programmers or game designers there's a similar thing. I can't pull stats for this but I would wager it's a higher proportion based on total percentage of trans women in the community vs. overall population, not just as a share of women.

Then in Magic specifically you have the fact that WotC is a notably pro-diversity, pro-inclusion company and that two trans women work in R&D to help make it a more appealing hobby.

Magic still has a lot of really bad behavior in the community, but I do think this along with an increasing number of prominent women in general, etc. does speak to some real improvements over the last few years.

This feels like an attempt to remove criticism from individual authors, cause you had Kelly Digges generally putting out awesome stuff while others were putting out some really bad fan-fic-esque material.

I mean, it definitely is, but given the environment they're dealing with and the semi-unhinged responses some of the Creative team members get it's also probably a good call.

- Full sets and rules engine. If they need to start it with just the current (post rotation) standard that is fine and will allow them to keep MTGO going with anything older than Kaladesh.

The scope of which cards will be included is still up in the air but we do actually know it has a full Magic rules engine, not just a subset like Duals.

Also this hasn't been announced formally yet but we can still say with certainty that it's going to have a collectable, F2P business model rather than a paper-parallel one like MTGO does.

In terms of top-value reprintable cards past those two, I'd consider Flusterstorm, Chalice, Crucible, Doubling Season, Scapeshift, Goryo's Vengeance, Aether Vial, Sliver Legion, Through the Breach, Captain Sisay, Leovold, and Ugin as all being cards with a high chance of reprint in the next year. There's also some wacky stuff that probably not al lot of people are holding but that could easily tank, like Zodiac Dragon or Goblin Settler.

Out of all those, I think Port and Canopy are two of the cards in the most danger of a big value drop, along with Flusterstorm and Chalice. (Speaking of which, fuck, I really need to move my Chalice.)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Arena better be available for PS4 (would also be nice on Switch). Honestly shameful a company like Wizards couldn't get a single digital Magic product out on the PS4.

Theres really no way Arena can be as mismanaged as Duels was.

Engineered explosives seems like it's a bubble waiting for a burst at this point. A reprint would make that a bad card to be holding.

Theres really no way Arena can be as mismanaged as Duels was.

Well Duels was managed by the known-to-be-incapable old digital team with an external developer and a shoestring budget, while Arena is managed with a huge budget by a guy who's actually run a game studio before, so probably not, yeah.

Engineered explosives seems like it's a bubble waiting for a burst at this point. A reprint would make that a bad card to be holding.

Yeah I realized I missed that one after I made my post. Definite huge downside potential.

traveler

Not Wario

Not as big as those two, but Avacyn, Angel of Hope. Card has had limited printings and has a decent price from commander demand, but is likely to see a reprint in iconic masters given the focus on angels.

At $25 - $30 most places. For reference, Grislebrand, who has seen a number of additional printings and comes from the same set at the same rarity with arguably more constructed playability, is $8.

I would also consider selling Consecrated Sphinx. At $27, it's likely to drop if a reprint shows up and it's already started turning down as more and more masterpiece versions make their way out.

Ashodin

Alright I need some help, you have to pick 10 cards to run in a monoblack EDH deck unrelated to Liliana.

Black Market
Blood Funnel
Blood Reckoning
Call to the Grave
Contamination
Deadly Designs
Death Pits of Rath
Endless Ranks of the Dead
Endless Whispers (Run no creatures)
Enslave
Forsaken Wastes
Grave Betrayal

I also need a way to get rid of a demonic pact.
Black Market
Blood Funnel
Blood Reckoning
Call to the Grave
Contamination
Deadly Designs
Death Pits of Rath
Endless Ranks of the Dead
Endless Whispers (Run no creatures)
Enslave
Forsaken Wastes
Grave Betrayal
man I did not know many of these cards and there are some great suggesstions among them.

It's not competitive in the least, but Head Games is always a hilarious/fun include to me. Has some political value too.

Image.ashx
that's hilarious.

Alright I need some help, you have to pick 10 cards to run in a monoblack EDH deck unrelated to Liliana.

Don't worry, I've got your back!

Grim Tutor
Imperial Seal
The Abyss
Nether Void
Chains of Mephistopheles
Juzam Djinn
Bazaar of Baghdad
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
Mishra's Workshop
Candelabra of Tawnos

(Yes, I started running out of good, legal mono-black options at the end. Several of those could actually be valid includes except, uh, you'd need to have them)

More seriously though, what kind of mono-black deck? You have the always valid Demonic Tutor/Vampiric Tutor combo but whether or not you want those depends on if you're OK with strong tutors. Diabolic Intent is also a less broken but still good tutor option. And if you want to really be stylish/potentially deck yourself there's stuff like Demonic Consultation and Tainted Pact.

If you want to tell people not to attack you there's No Mercy, although that doesn't PWs at all.

Since you're mono-black you can run Bubbling Muck to do your best High Tide impression.

Toxic Deluge/Death Cloud/Damnation are there when you want to just murder everything whereas Pox/Small Pox let you just make everyone hate you.

I don't really know where to go here without more of a deck direction provided.

Edit:
Oh, and both Living End and (especially) Living Death do, well, things.

Top Bottom