• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/1 - 10/7 2007

outunderthestars said:
Sega's new console? Released just in time to reclaim their place in the market!!!
Reclaim... distant second/third?
cvxfreak said:
For the record, I think Galaxy is going to be absolutely huge. Equivalent to NSMB relative to the system's positions at each game's launches.
marvelharvey said:
I can't believe that retailers have only ordered 700k of Galaxy, I'd imagine they'd be quite a shortage for the first couple of weeks.
I can see it being enough initially. If the ratio of SMS first week buyers to GCN userbase was the same as the ratio of SMG first week buyers to Wii userbase, it would come to about 730K. However, the wider a system's base, the less we can expect ratios to remain the same. Certainly from a ratio standpoint New Super Mario Bros. would've been seen as a disappointment; it would have had to hit 1.6 million on the first week to match the SMS ratio.
kay said:
I'm willing to bet that FIFA 08 will do better on the PS3 in Japan. This is the first example of a day and date release on both systems (12/20).
Not a response directly aimed at you, but ignoring the "day and date" thing, what other multiplatform PS3/Wii games are there in Japan? Just scanning the Japan-GameCharts lists none are jumping out at me, though it could be that it's mostly relegated to things like Madden which have failed to chart.

TheKingsCrown said:
Nintendo is seemingly being reduced to this, because the heads of these businesses just don't get it. Its not Nintendo's problem as long as they go with the flow of stupidity and do their own thing, which is what they are doing, as evidenced by the Monster Hunter 3 coup.

No, it goddamn well is Nintendo's problem, because it's in their power to fix and it'll bite them (and the consumers who bought their console) in the ass if they don't. Their bad reputation with third parties is 100% their own fault for their terrible handling of their last console, and nobody owes them development just because they demonstrate the ability to move their own first-party titles.

If the mass of Japanese third parties collectively hold back from major Wii development, they can stunt the console's growth, and if Nintendo wants to actually live up to their new in-touch, visionary image they need to do what needs to be done to avoid that, not arrogantly sitting on their hands and expecting pure numbers to deliver the third party development.

donny2112 said:
For Japan-centric titles that don't sell well abroad or are not even released abroad, PS360 is a death-trap right now and for the foreseeable future. If it has to be a console title, the choice is either PS2 (not a longterm option) or the Wii.

This might be obvious in retrospect, but this is probably a big reason why the PSP is still getting some reasonably prominent announcements (like Kingdom Hearts).

donny2112 said:
For Japan-centric titles that don't sell well abroad or are not even released abroad, PS360 is a death-trap right now and for the foreseeable future. If it has to be a console title, the choice is either PS2 (not a longterm option) or the Wii.
It's a simple concept really.

The Wii is the only console anywhere near a safe bet in Japan. To bet on anything else in that market is not too bright.

Though, that handheld market is looking more and more tempting by the day I'm sure.:D

charlequin said:
This might be obvious in retrospect, but this is probably a big reason why the PSP is still getting some reasonably prominent announcements (like Kingdom Hearts).

In this particualr case, I don't think that's a precedent setter. GBA got the KH:CoM game, and this just seems to be continuing the trend.

charlequin said:
If the mass of Japanese third parties collectively hold back from major Wii development, they can stunt the console's growth, and if Nintendo wants to actually live up to their new in-touch, visionary image they need to do what needs to be done to avoid that, not arrogantly sitting on their hands and expecting pure numbers to deliver the third party development.
Can they?

The DS doesn't seem to be having much trouble excelling, and nearly it's first year and a half was all Nintendo. Hell, it was Nintendo games that sent the DS into the strato. Is the console market in Japan so different?

We will see. The sad fact is given time, money, and a good ad campaign there is no reason 3rd party titles can't be a success on the Wii. They were on the SNES and NES. Why can't they be on the DS and Wii?

Jokeropia

test_account said:
I see what you mean and i agree to it, but as mentioned above, in my case i cant just fully ignore the installbase when it comes to success or not. I guess you can say its 2 different kinds of success :) One is to sell alot of copies taking the installbase into consideration. The other is to sell alot of copies, but in a much much bigger number, not just looking at the tie-ratio.
Fair enough.
test_account said:
Hm.. i dont quite understand this. Do you mean that the sale of a PS3 game must be close to 1:1 to be considered a success? About the tie ratio, wouldnt that come automaticly? I mean, it doesnt matter what the tie-ratio is, its the number of copies thats sold.
Say that a game needs to sell X copies to be profitable/successful. X number of copies sold on a system with a low installed base means a higher tie-ratio than X number of copies sold on a system with a high installed base.
kay said:
Bigger companies, not so much of a problem...
Capcom is a big company, is it not?

Kenka said:
The amount of BULLSHIT met in this thread is incredible, and unbearable

SMG will sell tons of Wi

SSBB will sell tons of Wii

If Nintendo keeps gathering the third parties around it, PS3 will have no chance to top it.

So ? Please, ALL OF YOU, just sit and watch what's coming next. And by the way shut up, you're fu**ing my day up.
:lol

donny2112 said:
If Wii/DS funds PS360 development ...

and third-parties don't sell on Nintendo platforms ...
Oh snap!

While I'm not a fan of the DS analogy, I do think that the third party situation will turn for the better over time on Wii. And I have no doubts that there will also be third parties profiting from PS3, similar to PSP you might not see a whole slew of titles at a steady pace but that's not too bad I think.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Thunder Monkey said:
We will see. The sad fact is given time, money, and a good ad campaign there is no reason 3rd party titles can't be a success on the Wii. They were on the SNES and NES. Why can't they be on the DS and Wii?
Maybe it's got more to do with the fact that companies will compare their products sold versus Nintendo's. The only games that will rake in 2 million and over are the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series (no spin-offs/remakes included). Some jealousy thrown in the mix perhaps.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
Say that a game needs to sell X copies to be profitable/successful. X number of copies sold on a system with a low installed base means a higher tie-ratio than X number of copies sold on a system with a high installed base.

Of course, if a game sells 50k on console X with 1 million installbase and another game sells 50k on console Y with 5 million installbase the tie-ratio on console X will be higher than on console Y. But what i didnt understand was how it was related to the 1:1 and how that is different from any other systems. 50k copies is 50k copies even if the tie-ratio is high or low. It might be harder to sell more copies of a game on PS3 due to the lower installbase, is that what you ment?

Wii comparisons: At 45 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 172.9 weeks (January 1, 2005), where GBA was at 38.2 weeks (December 10, 2001), where DS was at 50.9 weeks (November 19, 2005), where PS2 was at 55.9 weeks (March 24, 2001), and where PSP was at 83.0 weeks (July 8, 2006).

So, if Wii is a fad, what was the Gamecube ?

ccbfan

speedpop said:
Maybe it's got more to do with the fact that companies will compare their products sold versus Nintendo's. The only games that will rake in 2 million and over are the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series (no spin-offs/remakes included). Some jealousy thrown in the mix perhaps.

It's not only jealousy of Nintendo. Its also previous success of their products(mainly on the PS1 and PS2)

PS1 and PS2 provided an unfathomable paradise for third parties. Media cost was down, licensing cost was down, Sony gave incentive and most important of all, games sold and it freakin sold a lot. Sure their was bombs but the in general things sold. PS1 and PS2's third party sales would make the NES and SNES look like a garbage dump. The shear amount of third party million sellers on these two system was amazing. On the NES and SNES only square-enix had sales even comparable to the PS1 and PS2 years.

Until Nintendo can prove the Wii can provide this kind of paradise, third parties are going to be dragging their feet. Sadly for Wii fans, Wii's main enemy might be the DS. DS seems to be the closest resembalance of the paradise that third parties are slowly seeing die.

donny2112

LM4sure said:
where's halo 3?!

Sold out at a lot of places according to Jonnyram. We'll see if it bounces back next week.

test_account said:
Is that year 6531? If so, thats some serious long-term predictions lol.

Google changed (worsened?) their translation method between last week and this week. You can ignore the " million in " portion for the sales. :lol

Eteric Rice

ccbfan said:
It's not only jealousy of Nintendo. Its also previous success of their products(mainly on the PS1 and PS2)

PS1 and PS2 provided an unfathomable paradise for third parties. Media cost was down, licensing cost was down, Sony gave incentive and most important of all, games sold and it freakin sold a lot. Sure their was bombs but the in general things sold. PS1 and PS2's third party sales would make the NES and SNES look like a garbage dump. The shear amount of third party million sellers on these two system was amazing. On the NES and SNES only square-enix had sales even comparable to the PS1 and PS2 years.

Until Nintendo can prove the Wii can provide this kind of paradise, third parties are going to be dragging their feet. Sadly for Wii fans, Wii's main enemy might be the DS. DS seems to be the closest resembalance of the paradise that third parties are slowly seeing die.

That paradise died with "$599 US DOLLARS."

I've said it a million times, though. Make a good game, advertise that good game, and you could make money. Right now everything is pretty shitty, and even the games that are decent aren't even advertised.

Rolf NB

charlequin said:
No, it goddamn well is Nintendo's problem, because it's in their power to fix and it'll bite them (and the consumers who bought their console) in the ass if they don't. Their bad reputation with third parties is 100% their own fault for their terrible handling of their last console, and nobody owes them development just because they demonstrate the ability to move their own first-party titles.
This isn't about obligations but about fat, blinking opportunities to hitch-hike on the cash train with wheels made of gold and a naked princess hugging the chimney.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Of course, if a game sells 50k on console X with 1 million installbase and another game sells 50k on console Y with 5 million installbase the tie-ratio on console X will be higher than on console Y. But what i didnt understand was how it was related to the 1:1 and how that is different from any other systems. 50k copies is 50k copies even if the tie-ratio is high or low. It might be harder to sell more copies of a game on PS3 due to the lower installbase, is that what you ment?
To reach X copies sold of a game, the less successful system needs a higher tie-ratio for the game in question, yes. Tie-ratio was brought into the discussion because jj984jj said that it's hard for Gundam Musou to sell enough to be profitable/successful on the PS3 as it would require an almost 1:1 tie-ratio.

Flakster99

wazoo said:
not really. SMG will sell,sure, but it has not the appeal of old 2D MArio Bros like NSMB. 3D Marios or SSBM are just games of the declining Nintendo period, they will appeal to gamers of this period. Wii fit is the real deal, even if SMG will benefit from Wii hype, it will not drive sales. IMO.

A few thoughts. I agree, SMG doesn't hold the same appeal as did NSMB towards it's 2D Mario Bros roots, for obvious reasons.

However, SMG appeals to the SM64 fan, which in it's own right is just as revered, popular, even sales wise, as it's 2D predecessor(s).

Anyway, the decision to delay Smash Bros. maybe has been terrible for fans, but I think that it will a good thing for Super Mario Galaxy's sales. In fact, now it is the top choice of this Chirstmas for every hardcore gamer that have a Wii or plan to buy a Wii. Wii Fit will satisfy the casual gamer.

Mario & Sonic at the Olimpic Games, Umbrella Chronicles, Zack and Wiki and others will complement the line-up, somehow.
Anyway, now I'm sure that Super Mario Galaxy will sell a lot more then what we could expect before, because there is not the concurrence of Super Smash Bros. It is really the MUST-HAVE on Wii.

And to all of you that doubt of its capacity to sell millions around the world: lol and ri-lol. Guys, it's a Mario. it doesn't mean hardcore gamer like Zelda or Metroid: it means EVERYONE, since more then 20 years ! So mark my words: it will not sell like New Super Mario bros because of the limited installed base, but it will sell a lot. If you're worried that casual gamers will not buy it: this is wrong, because Mario is very popular everywhere. My mother and father know perfectly who is Mario and I bet that even your parents and their friends know him.

Mario means universal appeal. That's why games with his face printed over thier boxarts sold 200 millions games around the world.

donny2112

Famitsu Sept 24-30

1. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 97309 / 857211
2. 360 Halo 3 61143 / NEW
3. PSP Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 61001 / 663820
4. NDS Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi: Mina San Kyu 48319 / NEW
5. PSP MGS: Portable Ops+ 40933 / 129873
6. PS2 Bleach Blade Battlers 2 31676 / NEW
7. PSP Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 2 30168 / NEW
8. PSP Eiyuu Densetsu Sora no Kiseki SC 25881 / NEW
9. PS2 Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 11: Shinseiki Evangelion: Magokoro 24294 / NEW
10. PS2 Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus 24141 / NEW
11. NDS Kanji Quiz DS 2 23100 / NEW
12. PS3 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 22988 / NEW
13. WII Mario Strikers: Charged 20131 / 52856
14. WII Mario Party 8 15628 / 834865
15. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 14338 / 221269
16. NDS Mario Kart DS 12192 / 2456751
17. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 11853 / 4384956
18. WII Wii Sports 11770 / 2007203
19. WII Wii Play 11353 / 1573170
20. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 11200 / 4826045
21. PSP Wangan Midnight Portable 10150 / NEW
22. NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates 9979 / 363030
23. WII Kekkaishi 9807 / NEW
24. NDS Katekyoo Hitman Reborn!! DS Flame Rumble Kaien Ring Soudatsuen! 9372 / 33931
25. PS2 Another Century's Episode 3: The Final 9345 / 223058
26. PSP MGS: Portable Ops+ Deluxe Pack 9255 / 24030
27. PS3 Agarest Senki 9024 / NEW
28. NDS English Quiz DS 8895 / NEW
29. NDS More English Training 8814 / 552579
30. NDS Brain Training 2 8783 / 4686531

Thunder Monkey said:
Can they?

Sure. I don't mean "stunt" as in "reduce to a completely non-successful level," I mean as in "reduce growth by a significant amount." Note how the Wii shrank to about 1/3 of its previous sales level during a lull between Nintendo releases because no third party titles were there to pick up the slack? If that's what the system's release schedule will look like over its whole life, Nintendo will need to keep churning out multiplat breakout hits like Wii Sports just to keep sales up. Real #1 market leaders with a bullet can rely on third parties to cover for their own dry periods and stumbles.

bcn-ron said:
This isn't about obligations but about fat, blinking opportunities to hitch-hike on the cash train with wheels made of gold and a naked princess hugging the chimney.

Right now the DS is more or less proven as a platform that can provide significant profits to third party developers, but there really isn't much proof that the Wii is the same way.

Which is exactly my point, really. If the system really is just waiting for sufficiently decent third-party titles and then sales will explode (it's not impossible -- SE did pretty well off of DQS, and would've done better if they had the supply in place) then Nintendo should be eager to make it easy for developers to take that first step. "The first one's free" is a proven marketing strategy when the first one is, indeed, as good as advertised. The fact that they don't seem to be doing this is their problem and is going to hurt their system.

Eteric Rice

charlequin said:
Sure. I don't mean "stunt" as in "reduce to a completely non-successful level," I mean as in "reduce growth by a significant amount." Note how the Wii shrank to about 1/3 of its previous sales level during a lull between Nintendo releases because no third party titles were there to pick up the slack? If that's what the system's release schedule will look like over its whole life, Nintendo will need to keep churning out multiplat breakout hits like Wii Sports just to keep sales up. Real #1 market leaders with a bullet can rely on third parties to cover for their own dry periods and stumbles.

Right now the DS is more or less proven as a platform that can provide significant profits to third party developers, but there really isn't much proof that the Wii is the same way.

Which is exactly my point, really. If the system really is just waiting for sufficiently decent third-party titles and then sales will explode (it's not impossible -- SE did pretty well off of DQS, and would've done better if they had the supply in place) then Nintendo should be eager to make it easy for developers to take that first step. "The first one's free" is a proven marketing strategy when the first one is, indeed, as good as advertised. The fact that they don't seem to be doing this is their problem and is going to hurt their system.

Actually, they have given out dev kits already for free.

Eteric Rice said:
Actually, they have given out dev kits already for free.

Good first step. Clearly they need to work even harder, though. I expect there's a lot of bad blood to work through with some of those developers.

Sheesh, comparing Tamagotchi 3 to the first two is going to look very ugly. Such an enormous drop.

I think this is a rather nice number for a Falcom title, I'm still hoping someone picks it up (both of them that is) for NA. Then I'd hope for the third one to get a PSP release too.

25. PS2 Another Century's Episode 3: The Final 9345 / 223058
Very nice numbers, its going to end around first one numbers (254k) thus showing a nice improvement over the second title (181k)

Seeing first day numbers, looks like I overestimated Microsoft. I thought they wouldn't be so stupid to ship 5000 Elite units for all Japan. Damn it Microsoft and impatient retailers, my prediction won't be right....

mepaco

donny2112 said:
Sick of non-games taking over Japan?

Wish someone would really "stick it" to those abominations of software?

Well, Google's got your back!

Check out the translation for "More English Training" at #29 for last week's Famitsu.

Google: Friend to real gamers everywhere.

Rarely do I actually lol ... but that was just too funny.

For the whole third party sales thing, there is definitely the potential to have amazing sales. The problem is that nobody, not even Nintendo, really understands the Wii's current user base. There are definitely untapped genres where 3rd parties can make a killing if they are willing to put some effort into their titles. They need to understand that the more 'hardcore' portion of the user base isn't likely to be a single system owner (including PS2) so unless the Wii version adds something worthwhile and can hold its own, it isn't going to sell. Tacking on waggle isn't going to cut it.

Eteric Rice

mepaco said:
Rarely do I actually lol ... but that was just too funny.

For the whole third party sales thing, there is definitely the potential to have amazing sales. The problem is that nobody, not even Nintendo, really understands the Wii's current user base. There are definitely untapped genres where 3rd parties can make a killing if they are willing to put some effort into their titles. They need to understand that the more 'hardcore' portion of the user base isn't likely to be a single system owner (including PS2) so unless the Wii version adds something worthwhile and can hold its own, it isn't going to sell. Tacking on waggle isn't going to cut it.

I think RPG's are the biggest untapped resource right now, and Square needs to get on the fucking ball with that.

MOAR ENIX, WE WANT MOAR.

Eteric Rice said:
I think RPG's are the biggest untapped resource right now, and Square needs to get on the fucking ball with that.

MOAR ENIX, WE WANT MOAR.

Looking at their DS lineup (and assuming that they make their way across the pond), I know I'm not going to spoiling for RPGs for 2008.

mepaco

Pureauthor said:
Looking at their DS lineup (and assuming that they make their way across the pond), I know I'm not going to spoiling for RPGs for 2008.

I guess I really need to get into handheld gaming. Maybe I'll pick up a DS for Christmas. I have been happy with some of the recent Wii announcements, though. I can see it picking up ... not that I have time for any more RPGs. There are still a lot from the last gen that I haven't played.

mepaco said:
I guess I really need to get into handheld gaming. Maybe I'll pick up a DS for Christmas. I have been happy with some of the recent Wii announcements, though. I can see it picking up ... not that I have time for any more RPGs. There are still a lot from the last gen that I haven't played.
If you're missing out on handheld gaming (ie DS and PSP), you are missing out on the best part of this gen. Buy them both for a price of a home console that you won't enjoy nearly as much!

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Google changed (worsened?) their translation method between last week and this week. You can ignore the " million in " portion for the sales. :lol
Ah yes, i see that its that weeks sale numbers now hehe.

Jokeropia said:
To reach X copies sold of a game, the less successful system needs a higher tie-ratio for the game in question, yes. Tie-ratio was brought into the discussion because jj984jj said that it's hard for Gundam Musou to sell enough to be profitable/successful on the PS3 as it would require an almost 1:1 tie-ratio.
jj984jj comment was directed to the Koei expections to sell 1 million copies (i guess it was understood as in Japan only at the time) would be like expect a 1:1 tie-ratio for the game, in other words near impossible.

But i understand what you mean now :) Speaking tie-ratio only, a game on a less successful system would have to be much higher to be able to make the same amount of money as on a more successful console. So in this way, on PS3 the tie-ratio must be closer to 1:1 (well, atleast 2:1) to be profitable, but on wii it might only have to be 10:1.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Namco also expected to sell like 1milion copies of RidgeRacer6.
In Japan.

want to guess their PS3 Ridge sales predictions just for a huge LOL??

hint: sales would have exceeded hardware sales!

noonche

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I think this is a rather nice number for a Falcom title, I'm still hoping someone picks it up (both of them that is) for NA. Then I'd hope for the third one to get a PSP release too.

There's a third Sora no Kiseki? The demo for SC blew goat-balls.

So I made this using the numbers from Dalthien's thread:
20071012dalthienbar.png

Innotech

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
So I made this using the numbers from Dalthien's thread:
20071012dalthienbar.png

and people are saying third party isnt selling on wii. Maybe compared to Nintendo itself no, but Nintendo is a self perpetuating monster and shouldnt have its own sales compared to third party. but Third party IS selling fairly well by that graph.

Innotech said:
and people are saying third party isnt selling on wii. Maybe compared to Nintendo itself no, but Nintendo is a self perpetuating monster and shouldnt have its own sales compared to third party. but Third party IS selling fairly well by that graph.
Well, if PS2 were added to that, there would be a very different picture being painted. That picture is that the home console market is not a friendly one, as far as the new generation is concerned.

ccbfan

Innotech said:

Nicer smelling crap is still crap at the end.

Its not hard to look good when compared to the 360 and PS3. I mean we're talking two system thats severely trailing the Gamecube.

Wii is the market leader, there's no question about that. 360 for reasons I can't understand can't get much of a foothold in Japan while Sony messed up pretty much every aspect of having a successful console.

The right to the throne to this generation is already won. The real question is how much influence does this kingdom still have, will it be getting scraps from the portable kingdom and when will the old king step down.

Innotech said:
and people are saying third party isnt selling on wii.

The problem is that PS3 and X360 are a garbage comparison because they're both flat-out failures. Beating two failures is not by itself a measure of success. What do the numbers look like for various moderate-to-very successful systems at the same point in their lifespan?

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Sheesh, comparing Tamagotchi 3 to the first two is going to look very ugly. Such an enormous drop.

According to GameFAQs, Tamagotchi 3 was the one released in the Spring. Maybe this is Tamagotchi 4? I'm really not 100% sure.

Innotech said:
but Third party IS selling fairly well by that graph.

As ethelred pointed out a week or two ago, the average is less for the Wii than the PS3, but JoshuaJSlone then pointed out that 29 of the top 30 third-party games on Wii beat the same position on the PS3 ranking. The PS3 had fewer titles released by third-parties, which is why the average is actually a little higher than Wii's.

Edit:
charlequin said:
What do the numbers look like for various moderate-to-very successful systems at the same point in their lifespan?

JoshuaJSlone did that comparison (PS2) a week or two ago, as well. I think the PS2 is comparable to the Wii, but clearly ahead. It also helped that the PS2 was the expected market leader, so more titles were in the pipeline before the system ever launched. Actual titles and not just Tamagotchi Party On! (bad Mario Party clone) and the like.

charlequin said:
If the mass of Japanese third parties collectively hold back from major Wii development, they can stunt the console's growth, and if Nintendo wants to actually live up to their new in-touch, visionary image they need to do what needs to be done to avoid that, not arrogantly sitting on their hands and expecting pure numbers to deliver the third party development..

I doubt it.

Nintendo has made the Wii and DS what it is on the strength of their own titles.

Nintendo dosn't need Third Parties anymore, Third Parties need Nintendo.

If a mass of third parties collectively hold back from major Wii development then a mass of third parties will suffer.

Aeris130

charlequin said:
The problem is that PS3 and X360 are a garbage comparison because they're both flat-out failures. Beating two failures is not by itself a measure of success. What do the numbers look like for various moderate-to-very successful systems at the same point in their lifespan?

A japanese publisher who aims to release games for any home-console other then the PS2 probably doesn't care about what numbers a console should put out this early in its lifespan. Third parties have sold more games on Wii up until now, that's about the geist of it (the chart doesn't measure success).

Top Bottom