• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/1 - 10/7 2007

spwolf

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I like the concept of "Fish Story". :lol Anyway I know I was not very precise. I remember that for several weeks (months) the DS was doing relativity bad in Japan, until some key games came out. Wii is doing the same thing and the cause is also the same: lack of blockbusters.

DS started to skyrocked with Jump Super Star, Nintendogs and later with Brain Training. Wii probably will do the same with Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit and later, with Super Smash Bros.

I see many affinities with the DS personally, even for what concern the shipment times.

I agree

donny2112

Frillen said:
:lol :lol

You're kidding, right?
He probably just means for a week or two. With the PS3 pricedrop coming up, it'll probably pass up, or at least come close to outselling, the Wii until SMG.

Frillen said:
:lol :lol

You're kidding, right?
If it was all about the 40 GB I'd agree since it comes very shortly after Super Mario Galaxy. However, if the 20/60 GB price drops are already happening, it doesn't seem impossible that another Wii dip could coincide with a PS3 bump for a short time of PS3 leading weekly.

iidesuyo

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
DS started to skyrocked with Jump Super Star, Nintendogs and later with Brain Training. Wii probably will do the same with Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit and later, with Super Smash Bros.

3D Mario and SmashBrothers didn't let the Game Cube explode, why should this happen now. It were the new franchises that delivered the success (WiiSports, Brain Training, Nintendogs..).

Not only PS3 didn't beat Wii any single week, it didn't even lead the market before Wii came out. Wondering if PS3 could outsell Wii with 40GB SKU, Dual Shock 3 and Musou 5 kinda gives away how bad PS3 situation is.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Not only PS3 didn't beat Wii any single week, it didn't even lead the market before Wii came out. Wondering if PS3 could outsell Wii with 40GB SKU, Dual Shock 3 and Musou 5 kinda gives away how bad PS3 situation is.
With Wii in a very different situation now it could outsell it this week.

Arde5643

iidesuyo said:
3D Mario and SmashBrothers didn't let the Game Cube explode, why should this happen now. It were the new franchises that delivered the success (WiiSports, Brain Training, Nintendogs..).
Hint: At the time the Gamecube was fighting with the Wii/DS-like console of that generation - I don't think any game will have done it any good, basically the same thing as the people hoping PS3 to actually gain anything in Japan.

Jiggy

cvxfreak said:
I love a good bomba. Just bought Mario Strikers Charged brand new for 3000 Yen at Sofmap. :D

DQS fetches that same price too. Last week I saw quite a few copies of FFXII International at that price too. But they were gone tonight.
Man, Japan must be great. :( Why can't retailers in the US drop prices so fast to clear out stock?

...Then again, I guess I'd be like in debt ten times over if there were a bunch of good-but-not-great games at budget, so maybe it's for the best.

jj984jj said:
With Wii in a very different situation now it could outsell it this week.
Yeah, the impatient retailers slashing PS3 price sooner than planned. If that didn't happen we could have seen PS3 under 10k again.

Although seeing PS3 performance all year, I wonder if most retailers weren't offering a sizable pricedrop on PS3 systems before the official one. Plus low demand, expensive item for retailers, minor shelf space for it (since there are 4 more active platforms)...I wonder if PS3 has much room to improve with a minor 10% pricedrop to be honest.

Who knows, maybe the japanese are shitting their pants like the europeans in fear of getting shafted with no PS2 BC in their PS3s.

I'm one of those by the way :/

iidesuyo said:

Ehm....Smash Bros. has skyrocketed Gamecube's sales for a while (130k in a single week, if I good remember).

Frillen

donny2112 said:
He probably just means for a week or two. With the PS3 pricedrop coming up, it'll probably pass up, or at least come close to outselling, the Wii until SMG.

In that case I agree with him. The PS3 definitely has a decent chance of outselling the Wii a couple of weeks with the price drop/new colors. But not when Wii-Fit and Galaxy hits.

d+pad

iidesuyo said:
It were the new franchises that delivered the success (WiiSports, Brain Training, Nintendogs..).

I'm surprised I'm the first to say this, but Wii Fit and Wii Music say "Hi."

Oh, and I really believe SMG will act as a gateway to some. If there's a "hardcore" game out there that can appeal to the masses, it's SMG.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
fear of getting shafted with no PS2 BC in their PS3s.

I'm one of those by the way :/
The plan is to keep the 40GB as the cheap, entry system (i.e. Core), but to, eventually, come out with a higher-spec system. That one will probably go back to having BC as in the 80GB system.

donny2112

phez said:
if the white PS3 manages to move inane amounts of units, I'll have lost all faith in japan.
This could be considered either a pro-Sony or an anti-Sony post depending on whether you really meant the word "inane" or not. :lol

Update on whether Wii will pass GCN by the end of year one. Maybe; largely depending on whether you go with Famitsu or Media Create.

Famitsu (and using the 21K early number for this week): Wii is at 3.596 million now, and GCN at 4.009 million the last time they updated it. That's 413K in 7 weeks, an average of 59K/week. Even with a few more low weeks, this could be accomplished if Super Mario Galaxy makes a big enough splash.

Media Create: Wii is at 3.635 million now, and GCN at 4.179 million... at current rates, 4.180 million by the time Wii hits year one. That's 545K in 7 weeks, an average of 77.9K/week. Super Mario Galaxy would need a really really big splash for this one to happen.

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
The plan is to keep the 40GB as the cheap, entry system (i.e. Core), but to, eventually, come out with a higher-spec system. That one will probably go back to having BC as in the 80GB system.
I'd be curious to see how this plays out. I have a feeling that the BC wasn't removed so much for the cost savings (or else why not include the software emulation in the 40
GB sku), but more for the effect of reducing software sales for the PS3. Software sales for the PS3 have been less than robust thus far, and a huge element of Sony's profitability forecasts for the PS3 depend upon strong software sales (both 1st-party and 3rd-party).

At this point, I think it is possible that Sony might be attempting to boost software sales going forward by removing the temptation of playing old PS2 games or of buying new discounted PS2 games instead of getting the user to buy new PS3 software.

It's just a theory on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to see PS2 BC removed from all future revisions of the PS3 as well. Sony may even be looking at selling PS2 downloads on PSN as a future revenue source as well.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
JoshuaJSlone said:
Update on whether Wii will pass GCN write-up...
Interesting. Do you think that Wii Fit might create something that Mario Galaxy couldn't? It comes out on the 1st of Dec if I remember correctly, essentially giving it a full month.

Avrum

JoshuaJSlone said:
Update on whether Wii will pass GCN by the end of year one. Maybe; largely depending on whether you go with Famitsu or Media Create.

Famitsu (and using the 21K early number for this week): Wii is at 3.596 million now, and GCN at 4.009 million the last time they updated it. That's 413K in 7 weeks, an average of 59K/week. Even with a few more low weeks, this could be accomplished if Super Mario Galaxy makes a big enough splash.

Media Create: Wii is at 3.635 million now, and GCN at 4.179 million... at current rates, 4.180 million by the time Wii hits year one. That's 545K in 7 weeks, an average of 77.9K/week. Super Mario Galaxy would need a really really big splash for this one to happen.

Either way, even if it doesn't happen, it's a certainy that Wii will have done in a fraction of the time what the GCN did its entire lifespan and there is quite a bit more life in the Wii yet to simply keep on going.

speedpop said:
Interesting. Do you think that Wii Fit might create something that Mario Galaxy couldn't? It comes out on the 1st of Dec if I remember correctly, essentially giving it a full month.
The first week of Wii sales was the week of November 27-December 3, so the 52nd week will be November 19 - November 25. Actually since Wii didn't release until December 2 an argument could be made to count most of the next week (and thus get a little bit of Wii Fit effect), but that's getting really nitty-gritty.

Famitsu Top10 10/8-10/15
1 1/- PS2 Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi METEOR!
2 4/1 NDS Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2 (Both versions)
3 NEW NDS (Tecmo's Detective Adventure...looking for name)
4 2/- PSP Gundam Battle Chronicle PSP
5 NEW PS3 RISE FROM LAIR
6 NEW PS2 Arcana Heart
7 3/- NDS ARCHAIC SEALED HEAT
8 5/- PS2 Pawapro Major League 2
9 9/11 NDS Kanji Test 2
10 8/5 PSP Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +

Defuser

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu Top10 10/8-10/15
1 1/- PS2 Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi METEOR!
2 4/1 NDS Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2 (Both versions)
3 NEW NDS (Tecmo's Detective Adventure...looking for name)
4 2/- PSP Gundam Battle Chronicle PSP
5 NEW PS3 RISE FROM LAIR
6 NEW PS2 Arcana Heart
7 3/- NDS ARCHAIC SEALED HEAT
8 5/- PS2 Pawapro Major League 2
9 9/11 NDS Kanji Test 2
10 8/5 PSP Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
What what what!MGS:pO+ managed to hang on but not Crisis Core? lol @ Liar 5th.

Rolf NB

Dalthien said:
I'd be curious to see how this plays out. I have a feeling that the BC wasn't removed so much for the cost savings (or else why not include the software emulation in the 40
GB sku
), but more for the effect of reducing software sales for the PS3. Software sales for the PS3 have been less than robust thus far, and a huge element of Sony's profitability forecasts for the PS3 depend upon strong software sales (both 1st-party and 3rd-party).
2pt5auu.jpg

THERE IS NO WORKING SOFTWARE EMULATOR MAIM EVERYONE WHO TELLS YOU OTHERWISE

gcubed

bcn-ron said:
THERE IS NO WORKING SOFTWARE EMULATOR MAIM EVERYONE WHO TELLS YOU OTHERWISE

its amazing that no matter how many times, in almost every thread in exisitence on GAF someone brings this up, and hundreds of posters correct it, there are a few people who either 1) dont read much, or 2) very very misinformed

iidesuyo said:
Most of Wii games are brand new franchise for "casual players". (if Mario not at least SSBB is)

Crisis Core nowhere to be found in the Top 10. I wonder if a million is likely anymore.

The Wii Dragon Ball Z has utterly tanked. I actually expected ASH to fall off, but it's hanging in there.

lol PS3

DSL 80000
PSP 69000
Wii 24000
PS2 12000
PS3 8400
360 7100

1.DBZ-PS2 53000(214000)
2.Pokemon MD 44000 (956000)
3.Nishimura suspense 44000
4.Gundam BC 37000 (124000)
5.LAIR 26000
6.Alcana Heart 25000
7.ASH 24000(82000)
8.Major League 2 PS2 19000(62000)
9.Kanken2 17000 (60000)
10.MPO+ 16000(169000)
12.Tashiten 15000
13.CCFF7 15000(705000)
14.DBZ-Wii 14000(49000)
19.Household economy 10000 (242000)
21.Great Bear 2 9300
25.Marist 8100 (71000)
26.Arabianz 8000
27.Namum 7400
28.PGR4 7000
30.MHP2 6300(1332000)
..... Succhi 3800
..... Izumi 3000
..... Godfather 2900
..... Opedac 2800

Defuser

Wow,PS3 finally hit below 10k.......again....

Considering it there was no software for quite a while.......

wait...what cause the 360 increase???

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
lol PS3

DSL 80000
PSP 69000
Wii 24000
PS2 12000
PS3 8400
360 7100

1.DBZ-PS2 53000(214000)
2.Dark 44000 (956000) at Pokedan
3.Nishimura suspense 44000
4.Gandamubatocro 37000 (124000)
5.LAIR 26000
6.Alcana 250007. ASH 24000(82000)
8.Pawameja PS2 19000(62000)
9.Kanken2 17000 (60000)
10.MPO+ 16000(169000)
12.Tashiten 15000
13.CCFF7 15000(705000)
14.DBZ-Wii 14000(49000)
19.Household economy 10000 (242000)
21.Great Bear 2 9300
25.Mali strike 8100 (71000)
26.Arabianz 8000
27.Namum 7400
28.PGR4 7000
30.MHP2 6300(1332000)
The outside. Succhi 3800
The outside. Izumi 3000
The outside. Godfather 2900
The outside. Opedac 2800

Wow, 360 came pretty close to PS3.

And weird that Wii sales actually increased a bit..I was sure they would drop again with no software.

gcubed

Defuser said:
Wow,PS3 finally hit below 10k.......again....

Considering it there was no software for quite a while.......

wait...what cause the 360 increase???

hmmm, this has nothing to do with the impending price drop and white model coming out?

Defuser

gcubed said:
hmmm, this has nothing to do with the impending price drop and white model coming out?
I thought they made that announcement this week lol looks like I forgotton about that.

Jokeropia

Wii actually increased for the first time in like forever. Like schuelma said, strange that it would do so in a week without any releases.
PS3 8400
360 7100
Damn. I wonder how much the MC figures will differ from this. 360 > PS3 could be a possibility.

LOCK

Crazy week. Wii increased with no software, PS3 decreased with software, and 360 increased with no software. Bizarro world confirmed.

Kosma

Banned
Oh my that would have been ace :lol So close 360 so close.

New color and price drop not a moment too soon in Japan I guess.

Top Bottom