• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/21 - 5/27

FlightOfHeaven said:
Had Nintendo bowed out this race, I think gaming would have become incredibly niche.

Yup, if not for Nintendo, the video game market in Japan would be in bad, bad shape. Nintendo is the only one that will expand this industry. Sony's not going to do that. Neither is Microsoft.

Innotech said:
Im not talking about the HD projects on other systems. I understand that predicament devs are in. Im tlaking about NEW PROJECTS for wii. devleopers can easily announce their support of the wii while finishing up the HD projects.
Where have you been the last two months?

xabre

Banned
Nah the solution to the third parties not selling games issue is even simpler than making a list of genres Nintendo doesn't do. That is, get off your fat arse, go do some market research on what people want and f*cking make it.

Not rocket science. Want to treat the platform with a second class disrespect? Then don't bother because you'll just cop your own back when the sales figures come in. Otherwise go make your epic PS3 spectacle for tens of millions instead, and cry Katurgi tears of agony when no one buys that either :lol

Innotech

Banned
Wiitard said:
Ok, so you are finishing a game. You are not quite sure what is you next game is going to be. What exactly do you gain by announcing now a game to be released at the end of 08? Why announcing a game so far of in a very volatile market (like Wii software market is right now) such a priority. I say, unless you Wii game is released in 07, keep quiet and pay attention to what is being released.

whatdog.gif

Im not really sure. youre probably right it does make snese. but it certainly doesnt inspire as much confidence in wii third party support. I hate uncertainties.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Eteric Rice said:
I think they did that to avoid Sony getting power over Nintendo's franchises. From what I remember, Mr. Crazy Yamauchi re-read the contract that night, and noticed it. He called off the deal like a day before the revealing.

I don't blame em, really. I wouldn't want a company to have me by the balls, either.

Biggest load of bullshit ever. They simply want to become the leader in High Definition disc media.
I believe it wasn't that Sony would have had power over Nintendo's franchises, but that Sony would have received ALL royalties pertaining to software using the Playsation SNES addon. In other words, Nintendo wouldn't have gotten shit.

Jahaya

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
The hardware was perfectly capable of doing it in the last generation. And technically, the Wii is more powerful than all three of the last gen consoles (though the X-Box is debateable for some).

Like you said last gen. You dont want improved gameplay on a hardware that is going to last you the next few years? Will Halo, GTA3, MGS3, SOTC, RE4, DMC3, GT4, Forza, VF4 make the kind of impact on N64, a hardware more refined with more gutso than PS1?

People must wake up to the fact that a true next gen hardware dont limit itself to more beauiful HD graphics. I am sure this debate has been covered so i would not want to draw myself further in. Take it as a reminder. :)

Eteric Rice

GaimeGuy said:
I believe it wasn't that Sony would have had power over Nintendo's franchises, but that Sony would have received ALL royalties pertaining to software using the Playsation SNES addon. In other words, Nintendo wouldn't have gotten shit.

Something like that.

Wiitard

Banned
titiklabingapat said:

Apparently people what nothing short of Square an Konami ritualistically destroying piles of PS3's in front of their headquarters.

Looks like its gonna be a long shot for 360 to outsell PS3 in hardware this week. Assuming 360 pushed about 16,000 units of Forza we'd have to assume something like 30% of Forza owners getting Forza with a new 360. Then we'd have to thrown in a drop in PS3 sales by about 700-1000. Add in some standard deviation and there's a slim chance.

Innotech

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
I dont mean shitl ike soul Calibur Legends or Chocobo dungeon. I mean more stuffl ike FFCC2 that is of high quality and every bit the SD equivalent of HD game experiences. high profile games with good marketing and a commanding presence that rivals nintendos. there are a few games being announced, but considering the sales, there should really be a flood of interesting game announcements by now.

Jahaya said:
When you look at the audience and the hardware that are going to utilise these games?

Why are you so bitter?

Anyway, if you're asking if "hardcore" third-party games can sell, Red Steel (a half-assed launch game) is nearing a million. And Madden Wii is selling just a little below Madden PS3.

Although though no version sold well, Godfather Wii outsold Godfather PS3.

What was your point again?

Evlar

Banned
Jahaya said:
And the gen last till now? I am not getting into the multi DVD debate because it is been covered so well in virtually every gaming forums.
My WoW install on this computer I'm posting from would fit comfortably on a DVD-9. As a disc image. Including the expansion pack, and a backup of all the patches since launch. My Steam folder could also fit on a DVD-9, including HL2, Episode 1, CounterStrike, CounterStrike Source, Day of Defeat Source, Half Life, Half Life Source, Lost Coast, and Garry's Mod. As a disc image. My Oblivion install could fit on a DVD-9 twice. I do not see how a twenty hour FPS running at 720p can't squeeze into a DVD-9 but PC FPS CAN.

Wiitard

Banned
Innotech said:
I dont mean shitl ike soul Calibur Legends or Chocobo dungeon. I mean more stuffl ike FFCC2 that is of high quality and every bit the SD equivalent of HD game experiences. high profile games with good marketing and a commanding presence that rivals nintendos. there are a few games being announced, but considering the sales, there should really be a flood of interesting game announcements by now.

Well, apperenlty most publishers decided to wait and see for a bit too long - something like from E3 to till the end of 06. They are paying the price.

But seriously, no matter announced or not DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THERE ARE NO AT LEAST FIVE SWORD GAMES FOR WII IN DEVELOPMENT? AT LEAST FIVE TENNIS GAMES?

Matt said:
I don't think we know this, do we?

On ****ing GAF there was 1 person who bought PS3 version (if I recall correctly because it was on sale) and at least 15 people who bought the Wii version. I'd say that is kinda suggestive.

Jahaya said:
Like you said last gen. You dont want improved gameplay on a hardware that is going to last you the next few years? Will Halo, GTA3, MGS3, SOTC, RE4, DMC3, GT4, Forza, VF4 make the kind of impact on N64, a hardware more refined with more gutso than PS1?

People must wake up to the fact that a true next gen hardware dont limit itself to more beauiful HD graphics. I am sure this debate has been covered so i would not want to draw myself further in. Take it as a reminder. :)

Right, true next-gen hardware would perhaps, provide new ways to interact with games?

Other than GTA, VERY few franchises get gameplay benefit from better hardware!

Innotech said:
Yeah, well, E3 is only 6 weeks away.

Innotech

Banned
the wii is designed in such a way that it CAN both look better than last gen (or at the least equivalent to XBOx, which is still miles better than Ps2) and incorporate motion sensing/pointing controls. This is every bit as viable as a next-gen game experience as Ps3/XBOx360 can provide IMO. What it lacks in physics it makes up for with immersion using the controller. It offers a unique experience for gamers and I really feel developer should give more effort into making games stand out on the system, especially since it doesnt cosyt so much to do so while still making impressive games. If Square and konami can do it and nintendo can do it, any decent devleoper can. They just have to give it a real effort.

TJ Spyke

GaimeGuy said:

Part of the problem was that Sony had announced plans to release their own CD-ROM based system (in addtion to making the CD-ROM addon for the SNES). So Sony would have had access to any games released for the SNES addon (wheras Nintendo would not have had access to the "Play Station" system Sony was making).

Jahaya

Banned
ComputerNerd said:
Why are you so bitter?

Anyway, if you're asking if "hardcore" third-party games can sell, Red Steel (a half-assed launch game) is nearing a million. And Madden Wii is selling just a little below Madden PS3.

Although though no version sold well, Godfather Wii outsold Godfather PS3.

What was your point again?

I am not bitter, just find it ironic people are clamouring for such games when:

1) a whole lot of deal has been made about playing the "same old" games on PS3 and 360,

2) you know that those kind of games are going to be on a level far superior developed on PS3 and 360, which the developers will have no problem doing so if gamers are supporting the right hardware,

3) i am not bitter because i recognised that the Wii has its importance and deserved its success for their accute business sense but lets not ignore that there IS a difference here.

titiklabingapat said:
Yeah, well, E3 is only 6 weeks away.
I'm preparing already. Wanna see?

4ptbcr4.jpg

PantherLotus said:
Agreed.

Games 3rd Parties should focus on
1. Simulation Driving (GT, Forza, etc)
2. Simulation Sports (Madden, Tiger, Fight Night, etc)
3. Fighting Games (SSBB =/= Tekken, Soul Calibur, DOA)
4. Survival Horror (RE, SH, etc)
5. Sandbox Beat-em-ups (GTA)
6. Hardcore non-gaming games (Trivial Pursuit > Brain Training?)

Games 3rd Parties should avoid
1. Platformers with mascots
2. Kart Racing with cartoon characters
3. Futuristic Racing
4. Non-war based strategy games
5. Cutesy Sports games
6. "Lite" non-gaming games
7. Mini Games

I'd like to know why think 3rd parties should avoid doing futuristic racer. The only Nintendo franchise that fits in this category that I can think of is F-Zero, and by seeing how (unfortunately) sales of F-Zero GX were low, I don't think 3rd parties should necessarily avoid releasing game of that type. Maybe a game of this genre from a 3rd party won't sell, but it will not be because Nintendo covered the whole genre, with one game.

Jahaya said:

1) a whole lot of deal has been made about playing the "same old" games on PS3 and 360,

2) you know that those kind of games are going to be on a level far superior developed on PS3 and 360, which the developers will have no problem doing so if gamers are supporting the right hardware,

3) i am not bitter because i recognised that the Wii has its importance and deserved its success for their accute business sense but lets not ignore that there IS a difference here.

Why superior on different hardware? Can Wii not get good games?

Innotech

Banned
Jahaya said:

My whole point is I WANT new experiences. I dont care about GTA or GT or Halo or any of that. I want more good quality unique IP games on wii, but not forced ports or shovelware. I keep bringing up several game examples but those are the sort of thing Id like to see. It doesnt concern me at all whether Wii gets GTA4 or MGS4. Those arent what I bought a system with a unique controller for. But I also dont want rushed crappy games.

PantherLotus said:
Agreed.

Games 3rd Parties should focus on
1. Simulation Driving (GT, Forza, etc)
2. Simulation Sports (Madden, Tiger, Fight Night, etc)
3. Fighting Games (SSBB =/= Tekken, Soul Calibur, DOA)
4. Survival Horror (RE, SH, etc)
5. Sandbox Beat-em-ups (GTA)
6. Hardcore non-gaming games (Trivial Pursuit > Brain Training?)

Games 3rd Parties should avoid
1. Platformers with mascots
2. Kart Racing with cartoon characters
3. Futuristic Racing
4. Non-war based strategy games
5. Cutesy Sports games
6. "Lite" non-gaming games
7. Mini Games

This doesn't belong. It would have to compete with Luigi's Mansion. :D

Slow week overall, will be interesting to see the hardware numbers.

rs7k said:
No PS3 game in sight, yet the 360 makes an appearance. I know Forza 2 is a big release, but WTF is Sony doing? I wonder if the PS3 didn't even outsell the 360 by 2 to 1.
By now we all know that 360 is a hardcore/otaku console. Sales are pretty frontloaded, see Forza drop off significantly next week. And I don't think it's a system seller either, it'll take a game like TB or LO with no major PS3 release for 360 to overtake. Since NG is launching alongside TB I don't think it'll happen that week.

rs7k said:
I think it's because there's still a chance PS3 gains a significant presence in the U.S. I don't know what the hell is going on in Japan, but I can't believe almost nodoby gives a crap about HD consoles, especially with a much cheaper PS3. What a weird country :lol PS3 and 360 are definitely a lost cause. I don't see FFXIII saving the PS3, it's been doing 8k weekly...

With that said, the PS3 needs to get a decent userbase out of Japan if Japanese developers are going to announce more titles in the future. I think every publisher has their fingers crossed for a price drop in the U.S., because otherwise, well who knows what will happen? I wasn't expecting much support for the 360 in the first place, although Capcom has had success.

It pretty much seems that franchises destined for next-gen (think ZOE or Silent Hill) will be multiplatform as a default. In that case, 360 owners would benefit from increasing PS3 sales, and PS3 owners would benefit from 360 sales. Just because you have to add both up to get a large market. The Wii is a monster. It's fun and revolutionary, yet scary at the same time.
They expect(ed) to make money out of it. You can still make money with hardcore oriented games. 360 is proving that in the US. And since most of third party games are multiplat anyways ,like you mentioned, it's not a big deal.

Have we seen any big exclusive third party PS3 announcement in the near past? Can't remember really. I don't think publishers are breaking a sweat atm. They can expect good numbers for their software for 360 from the US, PS3 sales are just a bonus atm (see shoddy Ubi ports).

And I don't think that'll change, The Americas are pretty much set concerning the HD "war". The two big games Halo 3 and GTA IV are coming to 360, which is soundly beating the PS3 on a monthly basis now. And with 360 being cheaper I don't see a way for Sony to turn it around. As awesome as Uncharted looks, it's an unproven franchise not a lot of people know about. Lair looks like the typical Factor 5 affair, only this time they don't have one of the biggest properties on earth on board to help sales. The only interesting thing is the fight between 360 and Wii. We know too little about the numbers in Europe but after the pretty successful launch things aren't looking too bright for Sony anymore either.

So in the end I agree with your assumption that third party titles are going multiplat this gen.

Jahaya said:
That is one of THE worst anti-Sony FUD lingering around. BR is just a next gen storage format needed for a next gen console lasting the next 5-7 years.

It happens to play BR movies thanks to the power of Cell providing audio-video software decoding.
Yeah, right.

Innotech

Banned
bmf said:
This doesn't belong. It would have to compete with Luigi's Mansion. :D
also plenty of platformers could exist on wii. As long as they arent Mario or Kirby clones. Dewey, once again, is a good example. a unique platformer that may sell pretty good numbers if its marketed well and gets decent reviews. It both uses the controller in interesting ways ANd looks absolutely fantastic compared to most third party efforts so far. Idl ike very much to see more games like that. In fact, thats why that game has become sort of a poster child for me to describe the quality of games the wii should recieve. whether you like the style or idea of the game or not, it screams high production values. It just looks really well made. Even Sega, for all their screwups, is looking to make niGHTs2 faithful to the original. that shows effort, and Im rewarding it with a buy.

The Sphinx said:
My WoW install on this computer I'm posting from would fit comfortably on a DVD-9. As a disc image. Including the expansion pack, and a backup of all the patches since launch. My Steam folder could also fit on a DVD-9, including HL2, Episode 1, CounterStrike, CounterStrike Source, Day of Defeat Source, Half Life, Half Life Source, Lost Coast, and Garry's Mod. As a disc image. My Oblivion install could fit on a DVD-9 twice. I do not see how a twenty hour FPS running at 720p can't squeeze into a DVD-9 but PC FPS CAN.
But we all know that the future of gaming lies in pre-rendered cutscenes. All these titles you mentioned don't contain enough of those to make them enjoyable experiences for the next 10 years.

The Wii can do both traditional games and new gen games. The PS3 cannot. That's why we want traditional games on the Wii (GUILTY GEAR YEEAAAHH) but also look to new gen games (Trauma Center! Let's see the sixAxis pull that off).

And just because the PS3 could do Crystal Chronicles at 1080p doesn't mean CC shouldn't be released on Wii. It'd be just as enjoyable. This is a hypothetical situation where it'd be released for both. Just because a game is 4 times are large on a wall does not mean it is not enjoyable on a TV 1/4 the size of the largest resolution is can support.

Jahaya said:
That is one of THE worst anti-Sony FUD lingering around. BR is just a next gen storage format needed for a next gen console lasting the next 5-7 years.

It happens to play BR movies thanks to the power of Cell providing audio-video software decoding.

Haha, I wanted to quote this again. You talk about FUD then say something like that :lol

Jahaya

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
The Wii can do both traditional games and new gen games. The PS3 cannot. That's why we want traditional games on the Wii (GUILTY GEAR YEEAAAHH) but also look to new gen games (Trauma Center! Let's see the sixAxis pull that off).

And just because the PS3 could do Crystal Chronicles at 1080p doesn't mean CC shouldn't be released on Wii. It'd be just as enjoyable. This is a hypothetical situation where it'd be released for both. Just because a game is 4 times are large on a wall does not mean it is not enjoyable on a TV 1/4 the size of the largest resolution is can support.

Why do people still have the misconception that more power only translates to a sharper image? :lol

Instead of trying so hard to spin Nintendo's choice of a much weaker hardware, why not enjoy their new found success at shifting videogamers' tastes?

Jahaya said:
Good games and progression should not be mixed up. Why go against the chance for a superior version? :)

Why should 360/PS3 have always a superior version of a game? I bet most people would prefer Godfather on Wii...

Tell me how more power will aid in making games better, other than graphics.

AI is not an arguing point; many learned people have noted that AI does not benefit greatly from hardware enhancements at this point.

Draw distance is, arguably, a part of graphics. Correctly if I am wrong; I'm always happy to learn.

More enemies on screen? Cool, but that doesn't significantly change gameplay.

Erm, map size and decreased loading times? I'd suppose. Oblivion is a great game, or so I hear. Then again, it was possible on a DVD-9.

Enlighten me.

Innotech

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:

AI is not an arguing point; many learned people have noted that AI does not benefit greatly from hardware enhancements at this point.

Draw distance is, arguably, a part of graphics. Correctly if I am wrong; I'm always happy to learn.

Erm, map size and decreased loading times? I'd suppose. Oblivion is a great game, or so I hear. Then again, it was possible on a DVD-9.

Enlighten me.
Ive played Gears of war, in full HD quality on an HDTV. I witnessed all the whizzbang graphics, the advanced AI, the enhanced sound, all the "benefits" that extra power could provide. It ended up feeling the same as playing anything else I have in the past, only louder andflashier. but it didnt immerse me in any appreciable way more than games like Okami did before, and that was in SD with shitty speakers. all this high tech really isnt making gaming feel that much different than it did before. For me a game is a game. The wii allows me to play games in a way I never did before. not louder or flashier, but completely different, and in a way that involves my own movement. that to me, is a far more immersive way to play games than a flashier version of the same basic thing Ive played for decades. Of course thats just me. But its a legitimate reason why the wii is selling right now. I think a lot of people wanted something that doesnt justl ook different, but feels different. How Nintendo describes that is dead accurate.

Jahaya

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:

:lol You are one stern believer that power is only graphics?

What? Play Golden Eye and then Halo, play MGS1 and then MGS3. You are telling me there is no benefit to enemy AI and even in your own player capabilities?

And that adds to gameplay design. Would a GTA game be the same on a small foggy NY with lesser objects for you to do your jumps or skid through traffic during a chase?

What? You are telling me that the gameplay tactics will stay the same when you try to outsmart 10 enemies with 9 buddies on different tactical grounds, as when you are solo dealing with 3 AI coming at you in simplified arena?

Oh not this Oblivion on DVD9 again. But yes you CAN cleary see that better hardware improves game designs.

Jahaya said:
What? Play Golden Eye and then Halo, play MGS1 and then MGS3. You are telling me there is no benefit to enemy AI and even in your own player capabilities?

That's not his point. AI doesn't need better hardware to achieve stuff that we see in MGS3. He isn't saying AI is irrelevant.

Edit: Oblivion does nothing that couldn't have been done with Morrowind.

Deku

Banned
jahaya said:
The media should be more co-operative with Sony and not putting them down everytime.
PS3 is attempting to drive a shift in your living room and if Sony are not give a chance, it would take a long while before some one tries again. Wasted potential, consumers lose.

Dave [Karraker] is right on the money.

Look what I found. :)

legend166

In regards to Wii third party games, E3 is going to be the critical point, in my eyes. If we don't see a bunch of announcements then, I think we're just going to see 3rd parties continue to close their eyes and put their fingers in their ears and act like the Wii doesn't exist.

Either way, I think the Wii is going to storm to victory. It's just whether it does it with third parties in tow, or with third parties filing for bankruptcy.

Edit: Also, to the dumb poster of the week, no one is arguing that power hasn't helped the advancement of gaming. What they are arguing is that the power has reached a point that what can now be achieved is little more than better graphics. I mean, of course Halo was an advancement over GE. But, where's the advancement over Halo?

Fredescu

Jahaya said:
But yes you CAN cleary see that better hardware improves game designs.
Much less noticeably so to the casual observer than in previous generations. Yet casual gamers will still dabble in those games in the list, and they will be made for the Wii. I don't think anyone will argue that the PS3 won't be home to a lot of quality gaming in the years to come. It just won't have the same mass market audience as PS1 and PS2 did.

legend166 said:
Edit: Also, to the dumb poster of the week, no one is arguing that power hasn't helped the advancement of gaming. What they are arguing is that the power has reached a point that what can now be achieved is little more than better graphics. I mean, of course Halo was an advancement over GE. But, where's the advancement over Halo?

Shouldn't we, I dunno, wait until Halo 3 or something before making that statement?

Top Bottom