• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3

Wiitard

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
No, some guy a few months back (lancestern?) used to say 300K. No matter what.

No matter what part is insane.

Red Steel had a budget of $12 mil. If this is not bs, then it not that hard to see that most Wii games are made for something like 5-10 million (suspect a lot of them now have been at the lower end). 200,000 worldwide is certainly enough to cover the costs of most of them (depending a bit on the region - you make more in EU and Japan).

Wiitard said:
No matter what part is insane.

Red Steel had a budget of $12 mil. If this is not bs, then it not that hard to see that most Wii games are made for something like 5-10 million (suspect a lot of them now have been at the lower end). 200,000 worldwide is certainly enough to cover the costs of most of them (depending a bit on the region - you make more in EU and Japan).

Wasn't it discussed that average PS3 game budget is 1-3 million dollars?

Stumpokapow said:
400,000 units at 20 bucks a unit is 8 million dollars. Assuming that Zelda sold similarly in Europe and North America, that'd be 24 million dollars. This would almost certainly exceed the break-even point; this also does not include profit made on Wii systems sold because of Zelda.

So, economically, even if Zelda did the same worldwide as it did in Japan, it would not be a failure. Certainly in terms of expectations, Zelda was at least a small disappointment in Japan.
It's all speculation though. We don't know how much development costs were exactly. This was pretty darn expensive, that is for sure. I wouldn't be so sure if it would break even if it had sold at japanese numbers. Not only did it consume a lot of dev time but the translation for an almost simultanious worldwide release weren't cheap either with that amount of text.

Of course it was a key title for Nintendo and even if it wouldn't break even they know they needed a game like this for launch.

edit:
Earthstrike said:
Maybe for a PSN title :lol .

Wiitard

Banned
Earthstrike said:

Earthstrike said:

WHAT? Could I have a link to that. It is making zero sense to me.

Besides, if your game costs 1-3 million to make there is no way you need to sell 300,000 to break even no way.

OkI was completely off. Its a fuzzy memory from a thread about big dog's game development cost for upcoming titles which they had posted in a chart over the generations. I guess maybe that 1-3 million dollar budget should be attributed to PS2 games?

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
Didn't that one manage to crawl to 100k though? And that was sort of a rehash of Friends of Mineral Town, this one looks so fresh and awesome, I think it deserves to do better. :/

Despite what Jarrod said, yes. The original DS Harvest Moon sold 130,000 -- attempts to equate that game with what Tree of Life just pulled in are nonsense.

JoshuaJSlone said:

Not quite an accurate paraphrase. First, I was commenting on Harvest Moon (the brand new game), not Resident Evil. Second, I didn't bring up Mario Galaxy -- someone else did. Someone stated (here's my own attempt at a slightly more authentic paraphrasing) that all hardcore games are doing poorly right now because Nintendo hasn't released the big hardcore games of its own, and to wait for Mario Galaxy and Smash. But, I countered, Nintendo has released several hardcore games -- they haven't met with expectations, and what's to stop future such releases from sharing said fate?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
Not quite an accurate paraphrase. First, I was commenting on Harvest Moon (the brand new game), not Resident Evil. Second, I didn't bring up Mario Galaxy -- someone else did. Someone stated (here's my own attempt at a slightly more authentic paraphrasing) that all hardcore games are doing poorly right now because Nintendo hasn't released the big hardcore games of its own, and to wait for Mario Galaxy and Smash. But, I countered, Nintendo has released several hardcore games -- they haven't met with expectations, and what's to stop future such releases from sharing said fate?

Would you not call SPM a hardcore game?

Deku

Banned
ethelred said:

Aside from Zelda not selling as well as hoped in Japan which other Nintendo published hardcore title has not met with expectations.

And take this any way you want Ethelred, but I think Harvest Moon will get a nice bump over the week. It's not a particularly hardcore game so I don't see people lining up to pick it up on day one. But it's just my take, if I'm wrong then you can laugh at me next week.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Meier said:
Where are you at in Orlando? I'm here as we speak at my parents and then driving down to Lauderdale tomorrow.. prior to living in Tallahassee after graduating FSU, I was an Orlandoan all my life.
How long are you down here for? Give me a shout out if you want to hang.

Michan

ethelred said:
Nintendo hasn't released the big hardcore games of its own, and to wait for Mario Galaxy and Smash. But, I countered, Nintendo has released several hardcore games -- they haven't met with expectations, and what's to stop future such releases from sharing said fate?

They've released Zelda, which shifted over 300k. Great news, especially considering it was a launch title. Then Paper Mario, which also sold a ton. Then casual gamers have been buying up Wii Play/Sports, Big Brain Academy, etc.

It seems like it's down to supply and demand. When Nintendo can supply enough units, the Nintendo fans who don't yet own a system (and I know a few) will then be able to pick up the games they'd have bought months ago.

Meier said:
Where are you at in Orlando? I'm here as we speak at my parents and then driving down to Lauderdale tomorrow.. prior to living in Tallahassee after graduating FSU, I was an Orlandoan all my life.

Oh, I missed this post, sorry. I'll be at work (on the north side of town) 'til 7 or later, anyway.

Wiitard

Banned
Earthstrike said:
OkI was completely off. Its a fuzzy memory from a thread about big dog's game development cost for upcoming titles which they had posted in a chart over the generations. I guess maybe that 1-3 million dollar budget should be attributed to PS2 games?

Maybe PS1

Nfinit said:
As far as creativity goes, Ecco just destroys the 2d marios up to and perhaps including NSMB. Once Nintendo go their formula going with SMB, they kept it up more or less intact, adding minor gameplay variations like Yoshi. Ecco is well beyond anything Nintendo even attempted to do platform wise. Sonic was pretty creative as well, perhaps not so much as Yoshi's Island, but at the very least besting the Mario series up until then.

Adventure games not so much, but at least Dark Savior brought the concept to 3d well before Zelda got around to doing so.

Second to all that though, I'm of the opinion that Sega's platformers were superior to Nintendo's stuff with the exception of Yoshi's Island.

I'm going to go ahead and jump in to say Ecco the Dolphin is absolutely amazing.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Despite what Jarrod said, yes. The original DS Harvest Moon sold 130,000 -- attempts to equate that game with what Tree of Life just pulled in are nonsense.
It was only 102k before dropping out of the top 30 iirc and it moved just 25k 1st week... seems quite comparable with Tree of Life so far actually.

NekoFever

Random PS3Forum poster:

It won't be too long before this turns around. The next few months will certainly be interesting. ;)
Those guys remind me of the evangelical Christians who are adamant that nothing matters now because the Second Coming is imminent. The mentality's pretty similar, I guess :lol

NekoFever said:
Random PS3Forum poster:

Those guys remind me of the evangelical Christians who are adamant that nothing matters now because the Second Coming is imminent. The mentality's pretty similar, I guess :lol

Wouldn't "GameCube fans" be a better comparison?

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
Zelda isn't as big in Japan as it has been elsewhere, though TP is down from Wind Waker, which was down from Ocarina of Time. Several reasons to believe Super Mario Galaxy will do better, though:

*New Super Mario Bros. makes Mario particularly hot recently.
*Super Mario 64 was more successful than any Zelda game in Japan.
*Even SM64 DS reached a million, which I don't think any portable Zelda has done.
*Not competing at launch with Wii Sports; will instead have a userbase much larger than Sunshine did at release.

Ye, i thought about the first too, that NSMB have made Mario super popular again. Probly going to hit a million copies sold, atleast :)

AdmiralViscen said:
test_account is fun.

Thanks for the nice compliment, but isnt this something you should have taken over PM instead? Its nice that you want to show everyone that you like me, but i'm not sure everyone have the interest to read about it so take it over PM next time :)

Eteric Rice

A Link to the Snitch said:
Wouldn't "GameCube fans" be a better comparison?

The GC fans eventually accepted their fates. The Sony fans on the other hand, well... It remains to be seen if they'll accept it.

200,000 is too low in anyone's eyes to be considered a success though. It's just too low-looking imo. But I'm staying hands off (mostly), on this one... I smell trouble

donny2112

Having a single value as a measure of success across all game types, platforms, regions, etc. is incredibly short-sighted. It doesn't matter how the number "looks."

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Jokeropia said:
Wii/GC combined was at 4.59 million (3.27 Wii, 1.32 GC) worldwide as of March 31, according to Nintendo.

That's shipped. So probably approaching 4 mil sold by now.
NICE, go TP. Anyone know how that compares in same length of time to Wind Waker?

Also, :lol at that release list you post.
ASH is still suppose to be a 2007 title?

andthebeatgoeson

Jokeropia said:
Shipped two months ago, so 4 million sold by now should be a minimum.
Where is Gears of War at now, worldwide? Will we have the holy trinity arise on gaf? The initial prediction thread, the premature ownage thread and the grand finale, reverse ownage thread?

apotema

Originally Posted by Mr. Pachunga Chung:
STOP TOYING WITH VEGETA.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Faceless Master said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

The funny thing is that in Mexico Vegeta talks about a power level of 8,000 and not 9,000, I don't know who screwed it up in the Translation, but in the meantime you can say

"ES DE MÁS DE 8,000!!!"

scouter4.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Shipped two months ago, so 4 million sold by now should be a minimum.
Those GC shipments should be rather close to sold through anyway though, considering the game was direct sale only in most markets. Honestly, it's probably closer to 5.5m worldwide shipped now (and likely close to 5m sold through).

ethelred

LanceStern said:
200,000 is too low in anyone's eyes to be considered a success though. It's just too low-looking imo. But I'm staying hands off (mostly), on this one... I smell trouble

Jesus, not this shit again.

Eteric Rice said:
The GC fans eventually accepted their fates. The Sony fans on the other hand, well... It remains to be seen if they'll accept it.

You know, if there are two things the past couple months have really made clear, it's these: first, hardcore Sony fans make really poor losers; second, hardcore Nintendo fans make atrocious winners. One could say it might be enough to make one wish the DS had just tanked outright and things had kept going the way they were.

jarrod

Banned
Flash back to 2000...

ethelred said:
You know, if there are two things the past couple months have really made clear, it's these: first, hardcore Sega fans make really poor losers; second, hardcore Sony fans make atrocious winners. One could say it might be enough to make one wish the PS2 had just tanked outright and things had kept going the way they were.

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:

You know, if there are two things the past couple months have really made clear, it's these: first, hardcore Sony fans make really poor losers; second, hardcore Nintendo fans make atrocious winners. One could say it might be enough to make one wish the DS had just tanked outright and things had kept going the way they were.

Why would the DS tank? Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market. Things wouldn't have "kept going the way they were" if the DS tanked.

There would be mass suicides. And I, for one, wouldn't want to clean that up. :|

Deku

Banned
ethelred said:

It wouldn't be as exciting. And I love the DS, don't say that. I know you do too.

Terrell

ethelred said:

Considering that I remember GAF before the DS sales explosion, and remember that pre-E3 positive Wii posts got you banned and the thread put in lockdown... we all made this bed, now we have to lay in it. I mean, walking through some archived gaming forums... seriously, people treated even the most reasonable of Nintendo fans like retarded red-headed stepchildren, and everyone expected them to have nothing to say after widespread and forced subjugation? Why else do you think people are giving Sony fans a free pass to be outlandishly silly?

Nfinit said:
As far as creativity goes, Ecco just destroys the 2d marios up to and perhaps including NSMB. Once Nintendo go their formula going with SMB, they kept it up more or less intact, adding minor gameplay variations like Yoshi. Ecco is well beyond anything Nintendo even attempted to do platform wise. Sonic was pretty creative as well, perhaps not so much as Yoshi's Island, but at the very least besting the Mario series up until then.

Adventure games not so much, but at least Dark Savior brought the concept to 3d well before Zelda got around to doing so.

Second to all that though, I'm of the opinion that Sega's platformers were superior to Nintendo's stuff with the exception of Yoshi's Island.

I personally wouldn't go that far, at least in terms of Sonic vs. Mario. Mario has had more moves than Sonic, for one thing.

ethelred said:
But, I countered, Nintendo has released several hardcore games -- they haven't met with expectations, and what's to stop future such releases from sharing said fate?
whether or not RE4 Wii 'tanked', what was the last xbox 360 or PS3 3rd party title to debut around 45,000?

and has any third party xbox 360 or ps3 game hit number 2 in the charts?

whose expectations are you talking about anyway? capcom's were mentioned earlier in the thread and while there's a way to go before the deadline, there's nothing to suggest they aren't on target to meet it at this point.

with the wii selling constantly, why should we expect sales of 3rd party software to stay as it is? one only has to look at DS titles to see that 3rd party got stronger as the userbase increased...

and isn't that a completely obvious thing to expect?

why should you expect software sales of a console selling at a record pace to remain flat?

cvxfreak

Very few games will chart in the top 5 in Japan three times, once for every version, in the span of 2.5 years, one being on a console that already plays one of the previous versions. Although I have to admit that I think the GC Biohazard 4's virtually unavailable in Japanese shops now, at least in Tokyo/Osaka. I've never even seen a used copy. There's lots of PS2 The Best versions available, but I've barely seen any first release PS2 ones either.

I think Capcom will re-release the Wii Edition with Best Price pricing around Umbrella Chronicles' release and it'll sell a lot under that label too.

cvxfreak

Scalemail Ted said:
What was the "sell through" percentage of RE4?

We've gotta wait until next week when Famitsu's charts come out so we can find out that information. They have a percentage-sold logo with their charts.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
.dmc said:
To be fair, being within 5k of those estimations isn't too difficult, infact, can you imagine a week with 7.5k 360 or 14k PS3?

I know it's awfully late to respond to this, but.

To be fair, I was within .3 k of each (that you quoted). The 5k notation was in reference to the Wii estimation.

Top Bottom