• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
And I'm not sure whether Ethel was just trying to draw 'them' out or what, but clearly the only fair comparison of Wii's software sales are:

1. The PS2's number of million sellers at this point in its life-cycle (vs. the Wii)
2. The PS2's total software sales vs. units sold at this point in its life-cyle (vs. the Wii)
3. Direct comparisons to competing hardware formats of the same generation (360 vs. PS3 vs. Wii)

Anybody up to the challenge?

And I'm assuming that the whole 'dead-as-the-PS3' thing was supposed to be a funny or an Ani. Not sure if either are working.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
LanceStern said:
200,000 is too low in anyone's eyes to be considered a success though. It's just too low-looking imo. But I'm staying hands off (mostly), on this one... I smell trouble

How the **** can something look too low to be a success? This is among the more idiotic statements I've read today, and I've been hanging out in the Paris Hilton thread.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
He tries, I'm certain. It just doesn't work because it's neither consistent nor obvious enough to let people in on teh funny.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mre said:
How the **** can something look too low to be a success? This is among the more idiotic statements I've read today, and I've been hanging out in the Paris Hilton thread.

I'd say under 10k LOOKS too low.

You know. Just sayin'.

Saitou said:
Well, ethelred is a lousy Anihawk knockoff.

There, I said it. It cannot be unsaid.
To be entirely fair, it's very difficult to do what Anihawk does as well as he does.

That said, they're really not even in the same league.

Saitou

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
CLICK EDIT! QUICKLY! IT CAN BE UNDONE!
But you quoted it anyway, har har.

I ARE MANLY MAN, I FACE BAN WIF PRIDE

How the **** can something look too low to be a success?
Don't. Don't even try. Better men have and were reduced to mumbling rubble. It just isn't for those like us to comprehend.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jarrod said:
I'd say the tone's grasping more Amir0x actually. :p

Good point. It's that arrogant attempt at sarcasm which he tries so desperately to achieve. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure it's working very well, whomever he's trying for.

PantherLotus said:
1. The PS2's number of million sellers at this point in its life-cycle (vs. the Wii)
Well, I know offhand that's 0; Onimusha was the first.
2. The PS2's total software sales vs. units sold at this point in its life-cyle (vs. the Wii)
One could always try adding up what made it to the Famitsu top 30 though that would miss the low-hangers.

Checking around Sony's press sites I did find here where they announce on October 25 (~34 weeks from launch) that they've shipped 8 million units of PS2 software in Japan, at which time they also announced they'd shipped 3.52 million PS2 hardware units in Japan. I assume that, like it says on their Japanese site, "Figures for Japan include shipments to Asian countries and regions including South Korea."

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, I know offhand that's 0; Onimusha was the first.

One could always try adding up what made it to the Famitsu top 30 though that would miss the low-hangers.

Checking around Sony's press sites I did find here where they announce on October 25 (~34 weeks from launch) that they've shipped 8 million units of PS2 software in Japan, at which time they also announced they'd shipped 3.52 million PS2 hardware units in Japan. I assume that, like it says on their Japanese site, "Figures for Japan include shipments to Asian countries and regions including South Korea."

Wait.

Did you say that the Wii has two million sellers at the same point in its life cycle that the PS2 had none?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PantherLotus said:
Wait.

Did you say that the Wii has two million sellers at the same point in its life cycle that the PS2 had none?

That depends on what your definition of *game* is.... ;)

jarrod

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Wait.

Yep. Onimusha was PS2's first JP million seller and it released ~11 months after launch.

By that same point, I expect Wii will probably have 4 million sellers (Wii Sports, Wii Play, DQ Swords, Mario Galaxy).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jarrod said:
Yep. Onimusha was PS2's first JP million seller and it released ~11 months after launch.

By that same point, I expect Wii will probably have 4 million sellers (Wii Sports, Wii Play, DQ Swords, Mario Galaxy).

I'm not convinced that Mario Galaxy will overcome the Mario Sunshine after-effects. It's still Mario-in-3D, and I don't believe it's going to be as huge sales-wise as people think that it will be. I put it in the same class as Twilight Princess as far as sales expectations go.

DQ Swords though, that's a good question.
It certainly LOOKS like a DQ game, but will it play like one? Same story, same music, same monsters and character design? It really looks like it could be, but will the control work against it? It's entirely possible that it is viewed as a waggle-come-lately. It has to control perfectly. And it has to have lots of magic.

Eteric Rice

PantherLotus said:
I'm not convinced that Mario Galaxy will overcome the Mario Sunshine after-effects. It's still Mario-in-3D, and I don't believe it's going to be as huge sales-wise as people think that it will be. I put it in the same class as Twilight Princess as far as sales expectations go.

I'll go a little higher than TP in terms of sales. But yeah, it won't be a giant megaseller like some believe.

jarrod

Banned
Mario Sunshine was the product of a conflicted EAD development ideology and a subpar GameCube market penetration. Neither factor really works against Mario Galaxy imo, it's got far more in common with Mario 64 really conceptually in terms of reimagining 3D space and interface. Being built around the Wiimote is really going to push this game and the genre I think, a million's almost guaranteed... though thinking about the timelines, it may not do it in the 11 month cutoff (though I think it took Oni a full month to pass that million, so we can push the countdown to a full year).

DQ Swords looks like an easy bet though especially considering the standalone Kenshin toy moved over 500k. I bet it's over 400k 1st week, and crawls past a million before Q3 ends.

Evlar

Banned
I'm confident Galaxy will reach a million, but it might take a while. If 64DS could get there then Galaxy can.

Yeah, DQS should do really well. It looks arcadey, on rails, it's DRAGON QUEST and the controls look, dare I say it, intuitive. Sword slashing just makes sense on the Wii.

SE is clearly positioning it as a premier summer Wii release. If I understand correctly, summer in Japan is a bigger deal than the same season in the West.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
FlightOfHeaven said:
Wait, people were wondering if Galaxy would reach a million?
All Nintendo has to do is mention NSMB in the commercial for Galaxy and it's a two-million seller.

Saitou said:
Time to bust out the Venn diagrams and flowcharts.

Final Fantasy II is being released on the PSP this week. To illustrate its position in relation to the rest of the series, here's a Venn diagram...

ff-venn.gif

Saitou

Banned
Cheesemeister said:

I...uh... actually meant Venn diagrams of which users are also other users.

All is really would say, though, is that GAF is actually five people, two of which are attached at the hip. Possibly.

Saitou said:
I...uh... actually meant Venn diagrams of which users are also other users.

All is really would say, though, is that GAF is actually five people, two of which are attached at the hip. Possibly.

That'd probably be a lot harder to draw.

ccbfan

Personally I see both point of views.

I can't understanding what is there to celebrate when each week Wii Sports and Wii play (Basically a special edition controller package) dominates 80+ percent of all Wii software sales. It worries what the heck are the hardcore gamers playing on the Wii in Japan or is most of the sales to people where Wii Sports and Wii play is enough to last them for over half a freakin year. Usually during launch there's always a few games that grossly oversell because of the fact that there's nothing else to play. Well at this point there's been 0 of what I'd considered "hardcore games".

Then there's also the case of has there been any decent software to buy yet. Is no one buying anything else for the Wii cause there's nothing to buy? I agree the 3rd party software in the Wii isn't exactly system sellers. Still kinda troubling to see none break through though. Like I mentioned before during launches usually a few games break through.

SO the question remains. Do the Wii buyers buy nothing but Wii Sports and Wii Play because there's nothing else to buy or is it because they're don't care to play anything else?

Either way for me is fine, I can't play console games much anymore anyways. So having the DS and PSP filled with all these great games is more than enough for me. Seems to be the trend Japanese gaming is going toward.

jarrod

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Wait, people were wondering if Galaxy would reach a million?
The problem is that people look at historical franchise performance as absolutes, and don't account for applicable userbase trends. That's while Mingol can break a million on PS2 no sweat, but tops out around 300k on PSP before the budget reprints roll on... it's not that Mingol's less popular itself, or the game's ill suited, it's that the base just isn't wide enough to account for the higher level sales.

The same largely applies to Mario Sunshine imo, which itself already came within spitting distance of the 1 million milestone on the floundering GameCube. Galaxy's a sure bet to breeze past that, hell depending on reception and sustained catalog sales it could even cross 2 million.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Fuzzy said:
Cellphones are leashes that society makes people believe they need.

Cellphones are the third most important invention/evolution of the 2nd half of the 21st century, after the credit/debit card and the internet. Do not underestimate the power of instant money, information, and communication...

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Why did Square stop releasing FFs on the PC? Did they not sell? That's how I first played FFVII, not having a PSX at the time.

Top Bottom