• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/9 - 7/15

AniHawk

nextgeneration said:
Anihawk - how are PS3 sales? Have you noticed a huge, upward surge in sales?

I'll check tomorrow when I work, but I think they sold four consoles in the first week of the price drop.

The Store is pretty much a Wii60 place. Lots of people buy PS2, but not PS3. And only in the last couple months has GBA really stopped selling. People only buy those games now just because they can work on the DS.

Jammy

Banned
I'm not really surprised by the Wii sell-outs and Guitar Hero III pre-orders. The Guitar Hero games fit the Wii and its gameplay ideals like a glove. Hardcore, casuals, females, etc. all enjoy Guitar Hero just like they do Wii. It's also $10 less than the other versions...

AniHawk

Jammy said:
I'm not really surprised by the Wii sell-outs and Guitar Hero III pre-orders. The Guitar Hero games fit the Wii and its gameplay ideals like a glove. Hardcore, casuals, females, etc. all enjoy Guitar Hero just like they do Wii. It's also $10 less than the other versions...

The PS2 version is $90 now.

LanceStern said:
6.Bishop Lamont - Sorry for the name mispelling

Well here's how I see it, form page 12 and 13

That sounds pretty harsh to me there bishop. And I really see no where to respond correctly. Especially when "BS" is used. You didn't question it, you just flat out called me wrong :(

For my DQS prediction, I agree my whole first month, week, year LTD prediction was wrong. I stick to my prediction for as long as we see the 2nd and 3rd week sales, where honestly, anything can happen.

Did you HONESTLY believe, that I believed the PS3 was going to sell 100k per week by "doubling" it's sales of 8,776?

Moreover, did you honestly think I arrived at that number, by adding it's percentages, assuming that percentage would stay the same for the next 20 weeks and ADDING them together to get an 100% increase in sles == doubling? Honestly you believed I believed that?

You must've missed this.
BishopLamont said:
All DQS needs to do is sell 1000 copy for 100 days, for it to break 400k, do you seriously think this won't happen, how much do you think DQS will sell next week? 0 copies?

I said you are wrong, because of your DQS prediction, and the PS3 thing. You sounded very serious, I don't know you, so I couldn't tell you were joking from what you said.

I'm not surprised at the GH III Wii preorders. The game is the debut of the series on the Nintendo console and Nintendo fans are still some of the most hardcore people in gaming circles.

The true test is whether or not the casuals pick up the Wii over the PS2 version come Christmas. The PS2 might be cheaper and easier to find, but the Wii still has waggle and will probably be the hottest thing again during the holidays.

Sharp

titiklabingapat said:
I'm not surprised at the GH III Wii preorders. The game is the debut of the series on the Nintendo console and Nintendo fans are still some of the most hardcore people in gaming circles.

The true test is whether or not the casuals pick up the Wii over the PS2 version come Christmas. The PS2 might be cheaper and easier to find, but the Wii still has waggle and will probably be the hottest thing again during the holidays.
Wait, is it only the Wii version? I thought it was all versions, which would make about 10 times more sense. I'd imagine the majority of preorders would be for the PS2.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sharp said:
Wait, is it only the Wii version? I thought it was all versions, which would make about 10 times more sense. I'd imagine the majority of preorders would be for the PS2.

Look at Anihawk's post from the prior page- the Wii version has the most pre-orders.

Sharp said:
I meant that first time Guitar Hero buyers might be enticed to buy the Wii console more(over the cheaper and well stocked PS2) to get thier Guitar Hero fix because you get Wii Sports and waggle too, not that waggle is only specific to the Wii version of the game.

edit: or maybe I read you wrong.

BishopLamont said:
You must've missed this.

No I didn't miss that. It sounded rhetorical.
I said you are wrong, because of your DQS prediction, and the PS3 thing. You sounded very serious, I don't know you, so I couldn't tell you were joking from what you said.

Well I must have been misreading your messages.

I'm glad this is straightened out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
... in one store. Anecdotal evidence, guys. C'mon, let's not get carried away.

I realize that, just answering the guy's question.

donny2112 said:
Speaking of, do you know where the thread is that has the multitude of NeoGAF logos, including the "needs more sparks" one? If you remember who posted it, I can just search on that. Thanks. :)
it was m0dus and here's the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120874
AniHawk said:
I know this is incredibly off-topic and means virtually nothing, but I just got back from The Store (I've only worked there once a week for about the last month or two [got another job somewhere else], so suddenly preorder numbers are interesting to me again).

Anyway:

Guitar Hero III: 134
Wii: 45
360: 41
PS2: 27
PS3: 21

SSBB: 17 (preorders started on this today. The Store got about 18 Wiis to sell too, which has been an extra boost)

SMG: 8 (preorders also started today)

Fire Emblem: 5 (see above)

Metroid Prime 3: 16

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 83

Bioshock CE: 16

Halo 3: 344 (the most The Store ever had was 400 for Halo 2)
Regular: 185
Legendary: 135
Collector's: 24

GTAIV: 70 or so
PS3: guesstimating around 30, including CE
360 Regular: 26
360 CE: 16

Layton and Contra 4 were recently added too, but I didn't see how many reservations there were.
that reminds me...I need to change my preorder from PS2 to PS3 for GH3.

KINGMOKU

AniHawk said:
I know this is incredibly off-topic and means virtually nothing, but I just got back from The Store (I've only worked there once a week for about the last month or two [got another job somewhere else], so suddenly preorder numbers are interesting to me again).

Anyway:

Guitar Hero III: 134
Wii: 45
360: 41
PS2: 27
PS3: 21

SSBB: 17 (preorders started on this today. The Store got about 18 Wiis to sell too, which has been an extra boost)

SMG: 8 (preorders also started today)

Fire Emblem: 5 (see above)

Metroid Prime 3: 16

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 83

Bioshock CE: 16

Halo 3: 344 (the most The Store ever had was 400 for Halo 2)
Regular: 185
Legendary: 135
Collector's: 24

GTAIV: 70 or so
PS3: guesstimating around 30, including CE
360 Regular: 26
360 CE: 16

Layton and Contra 4 were recently added too, but I didn't see how many reservations there were.
Vinnks village is soooo last gen. AniHawk in HD.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i saw someone walking out of the store with a ps3 when i went to best buy today.

the only other person i saw holding a ps3 box outside of a store was me in the reflection of my car

moku said:
Vinnks village is soooo last gen. AniHawk in HD.

Did someone say, HD?!

Bloom.jpg

cvxfreak

davepoobond said:
i saw someone walking out of the store with a ps3 when i went to best buy today.

the only other person i saw holding a ps3 box outside of a store was me in the reflection of my car

You fail for not contributing to next week's Media Create chart.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Bo130 said:
I know this probably won't be very useful at all, but I noticed something. 5 onlinegames got released across Wii and DS in Japan thursday. Let's compare the two most succesful of these;

Naruto 5 for Nintendo DS had 904 connections thursday and 2,126 (+135% compared to thursday) connections friday.
Jikkyou Baseball for Wii had 4,692 connections thursday and 4,943 (+5% compared to thursday) connections friday.

If anything, I think it seems like Jikkyou is much more frontloaded than anything else released this week. I actually doubt it'll hit 100k, but I'll have to see the next couple of days activity online as well to determine anything of that matter. I'm really not sure about this, just thought I'd let you know.

Quite an interesting analysis. Has this happened on many third party wii games that you can remember? I'd have a look at your threads... but Heck, you might enjoy the question, who knows.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Brak said:
Metroid Prime 3:16 says Yokoi so loved the world that he gave his one and only Daughter; that whoever believes in her shall not perish but have infinite energy tanks!

Fixed.

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
Anihawk, what were the pre-orders for GTA: SA like?

That's going back to before I was hired.

I started working the week after it came out, actually. I remember that the shipment was late (so everyone was pissed) and Rockstar had given the store tiny bats to hand out to people standing in line for some ungodly reason. It was pretty much a practice run for Halo 2, which went much smoother. I'm just going to guess somewhere around 150-200.

I'm only there these days for the discount and little bit of extra cash. I got a job in Santa Ana about 5 weeks back, and that project just finished up. Same day that was done, I got a call from a place in Irvine, so my Gamestop days will probably continue to be few and far inbetween. And the way the company has been treating its employees lately, that's fine by me.

ZealousD

AniHawk said:
And the way the company has been treating its employees lately, that's fine by me.

GameStop is a shitty company to work for. The fact that I'm working with video games is like the novacane that makes it tolerable.

AniHawk

ZealousD said:
GameStop is a shitty company to work for. The fact that I'm working with video games is like the novacane that makes it tolerable.

There have been more instances of the company siding with unruly, rude, and irresponsible customers in the last six months than the previous two years combined. One time, one of my coworkers was threatened by a guy on the phone to do what he told him or else he'd call corporate and lie to them that he did all sorts of things. Of course, my coworker is ex-Navy and was stationed in the Middle East for the last four years so he doesn't put up with that shit. The DM still didn't listen to his side of the story.

ZealousD

AniHawk said:
The DM still didn't listen to his side of the story.

I don't know what it is but it really seems like any DM, in any company I've ever worked for is an arrogant jackass. It's like they think they're really important, but in the grand scheme of things they're peons like the rest of us. They just get paid over the poverty line.

moku said:
You pose a very interesting question, and one that should not be mired with fanboy bullshit.

There are a miriad of reason why third-party developers havnt been as quick to jump on board. These reason are my own, as I have tried to make sense of what, in my view, has to be one of the most assinine business decisions I have ever seen, by a huge amount of companies within one industry.

1.)History. This, to me, is the #1 reason third-party developers have been reluctant to just "dive in" when developing Wii/DS games, instead of on other platforms. Nintendo has an awful history in dealing with third-parties.

2.)Nintendo competition. This is very close to #1, and related to #1. Nintendo's own games, will outsell thier third-party counter-parts by massive margins, and will be technically superior becuase of the massive studio backing them, allowing for extended dev times, and endless resources. Everyone knows that when Nintendo releases a "big gun", it's sales will dwarf everything else on the platform, including third-party games within the same genre.

3.)Burning bridges. ALOT of companies burnt bridges with Nintendo back in the day, by just ourtight bailing on them. Nintendo didnt forget this. It would seem some third-parties are bieng a hell of alot nicer to struggling platforms then they were in the past. This industry has shown that if you burn a certain bridge, odds are that your going to end up having to use that bridge once again. People within these companies have long memories.

4.)Fear of absolute dominance. Nintendo owns the handhled market, and is selling more handhelds then it ever has. Now Nintendo is dominating the console realm. If I was athird-party dev., I would be a little on edge right now. There is money to be made on the 360, no question. But how long can you ignore the coming Wii-Wave? Do you want an industry completly dominated by one console maker, on both platforms?(Handhled, Console)

This is my guess. Nintendo's past, and fear of having to obey on demand one super powerfull company.

Aren't you the guy who made a thread about playing SSBM while camping?

ZealousD said:
I don't know what it is but it really seems like any DM, in any company I've ever worked for is an arrogant jackass. It's like they think they're really important, but in the grand scheme of things they're peons like the rest of us. They just get paid over the poverty line.

True, but anecdotally, both of the companies I work for have CONSTANT district manager turnover rates. Every few months there's a new one. I've gone through 4 or 5 in the last two years, so I generally don't put up with their shit.

AniHawk

Aristotlekh said:
True, but anecdotally, both of the companies I work for have CONSTANT district manager turnover rates. Every few months there's a new one. I've gone through 4 or 5 in the last two years, so I generally don't put up with their shit.

I've actually had only 3 in three years. The first one left because she was diagnosed with cancer. The second one, who let me in on a last-minute Shinkawa/Kojima signing moved on to another company with better pay. The current one has been there for at least two years now.

LanceStern said:
No I didn't miss that. It sounded rhetorical.

Well I must have been misreading your messages.

I'm glad this is straightened out.

Ok it's sorted out then, sorry if I came off rude. Not what I meant at all, I say it like it is, that's all.

Bo130

Syth_Blade22 said:
Quite an interesting analysis. Has this happened on many third party wii games that you can remember? I'd have a look at your threads... but Heck, you might enjoy the question, who knows.

Well, truth be told, there haven't really been many other third party online games for Wii yet. The trend continued partly from friday to saturday with Naruto 5 gaining 13% but Jikkyou Baseball going down almost 15% despite it being weekend. Looks VERY frontloaded to me, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

AniHawk said:
I've actually had only 3 in three years. The first one left because she was diagnosed with cancer. The second one, who let me in on a last-minute Shinkawa/Kojima signing moved on to another company with better pay. The current one has been there for at least two years now.

Do they like their jobs (in the event you can actually tell)?

Avrum

titiklabingapat said:
Well, look who's back at the top of the Amazon charts.

I think I should create a thread and make a big fuss about it.

It's all an illusion...really...

Do not crush "their" dreams...

...yet.

Jokeropia

titiklabingapat said:

:lol

Anyway, that preorder report was quite interesting Anihawk.

Sharp

titiklabingapat said:

Amazon charts don't mean anything. Ever.

donny2112

I mentioned this in last week's Media-Create thread, but with the subject of third-party slowburners coming up again, here it is again.

NDS Detailed Japanese History B Total Training

"Man that'll bomb. Too much of a niche game."

That's sort of what I thought when I first saw it on the charts for June 4-10.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu June 4-10

30. NDS Detailed Japanese History B Total Training 7274 / NEW

* Debuted at #30.
* Niche sounding game.

I was pretty sure this would be the last I saw of it, and I was right, for three weeks. It didn't show up on the next two Famitsu charts. Then last week's chart came out.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu June 25-July 1

28. NDS Detailed Japanese History B Total Training 8734 / 21870

Not only had it returned to the chart, but it sold more in its fourth week than its launch week. As it only sold 5,862 over the two weeks it was off the chart, I figure that the retailer order for this game must have been about 12K. I don't know if that's profit territory for the makers of this game, but it definitely says how the retailers thought it would do.

It showed up again in this week's Famitsu chart.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu July 2-8

24. NDS Detailed Japanese History B Total Training 7755 / 29625

This is a third-party DS game that has a niche appeal (IMO), low retailer outlook, and has sold 75% of its LTD after its launch week. I'm sure that percentage will go even higher, too. This is the kind of jumbled reality the DS has brought to the Japanese market.

Bomba for your first week? Not necessarily a terrible thing if you market to the right audience.

donny2112 said:
I mentioned this in last week's Media-Create thread, but with the subject of third-party slowburners coming up again, here it is again.

NDS Detailed Japanese History B Total Training

"Man that'll bomb. Too much of a niche game."

That's sort of what I thought when I first saw it on the charts for June 4-10.

* Debuted at #30.
* Niche sounding game.

I was pretty sure this would be the last I saw of it, and I was right, for three weeks. It didn't show up on the next two Famitsu charts. Then last week's chart came out.

Not only had it returned to the chart, but it sold more in its fourth week than its launch week. As it only sold 5,862 over the two weeks it was off the chart, I figure that the retailer order for this game must have been about 12K. I don't know if that's profit territory for the makers of this game, but it definitely says how the retailers thought it would do.

It showed up again in this week's Famitsu chart.

This is a third-party DS game that has a niche appeal (IMO), low retailer outlook, and has sold 75% of its LTD after its launch week. I'm sure that percentage will go even higher, too. This is the kind of jumbled reality the DS has brought to the Japanese market.

Bomba for your first week? Not necessarily a terrible thing if you market to the right audience.

I don't know whether to count the game as a bomba or not.

Why I should: It's sold less than 30k units. That's small for ANY game, even for a 3rd party niche DS title in Japan.
Why I shouldn't: It's niche, I don't know whether or not it was advertised, and it still has sold more than I expected it too. Not to mention its somehow found a way to scrap back onto the charts. It's 3rd party.

It's like Lost MAgic in the US. It is an exception to the bomba critique.

LanceStern said:

Why I should: It's sold less than 30k units. That's small for ANY game, even for a 3rd party niche DS title in Japan.
Why I shouldn't: It's niche, I don't know whether or not it was advertised, and it still has sold more than I expected it too. Not to mention its somehow found a way to scrap back onto the charts. It's 3rd party.

Everybody is waiting in agony for your verdict about this game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LanceStern said:

This should not present itself as an exception to the bomba critique, rather a systematic demonstration of why your standards are deeply flawed across the board.

Assuming it sold 30k, that's more than three hundred thousand dollars US for the developer. Assuming a dev time of three months (being generous here) and five full time staff (generous again) at 10,000 (hahahah yeah right) per person per month, you're looking at a pretty solid profit.

The game was not advertised and even if it was advertised, the remaining funds that are not included in that hundred thousand but are going towards the publisher/developer will more than cover press releases, website work, and retailer presentations, which are probably the bulk of advertising.

Bomba is not a magic number, like everyone has told you a trillion times before. It's a combination of budget, expectations, and how retailers, publishers, and developers all benefit in terms of goodwill and economically from a product.

Lance you should really stop thinking anything selling a certain amount = bomba eg. anything <299k. Games vary in cost for everything, from development cost to advertisement cost to marketing cost. These "training" games aren't really niche anymore, they're the norm among the non-gamers, I highly doubt much marketing is needed in these kinda games. You can guess how much is needed for development cost yourself.

New LTD from Famitsu DS + Wii :

Super Paper Mario - 455k
Resident Evil - 93k

i changed my site about Famitsu charts, trying to make more accurate, now you can see Publishers, original name in Japanese and original name for US (or western) release, if available
http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/wii.php

Both games sold around 6k a week, maybe SPM will beat Zelda TP and RE4 will easily go over 100k, mission accomplished for Capcom.

Top Bottom