• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/9 - 7/15

Xeke

Banned
Why doesn't somebody who just lives in Japan go and get some anecdotal evidence from stores, much like Vinnk does every week.

laserbeam

Banned
Xeke said:
Why doesn't somebody who just lives in Japan go and get some anecdotal evidence from stores, much like Vinnk does every week.

isnt it only coming out on thursday? its gonna be one of those titles with split sales i suspect. but I like what others are saying really dont expect that huge of an impact. Best Selling game in japan so far is only at like 260,000 Units sold.

Link said:
The simplest thing to do is find out what retailer preorders are for each game.

Theres talk of 300,000+ preorders for the golf. Its very possible to sell that but i think that may be bordering on its majority sales.I think theres far too many delusional that think tends of thousands or hundreds of thousands will suddenly leap on the PS3 cause of golf.

Xeke

Banned
laserbeam said:
isnt it only coming out on thursday? its gonna be one of those titles with split sales i suspect. but I like what others are saying really dont expect that huge of an impact. Best Selling game in japan so far is only at like 260,000 Units sold.

And that was the combination of 2 big franchises.

apujanata

sp0rsk said:
Mario Party 8 will be number one this week.

This week's M-create should be interesting. If there is no lineup for MNG, but there are lineup for MP8, I think there will be some ban (for the junior member).

Jammy

Banned
I'm not sure about first week sales, but Mario Party 8 should easily outsell Minna no Golf 5 in total sales. Not only is the userbase vastly higher on Wii, but this is Mario Party on a video game console that fits the series like a glove.

In fact, I'm fully convinced that's why Mario Party 8 has sold so well in America so far, despite it not coming out in the holiday months like the past games have.

laserbeam

Banned
Xeke said:
And that was the combination of 2 big franchises.

yep going through famitsu's numbers theres been 26 Game releases for the PS3.

26 releases equalling a total of 1,321,801 units sold.

An Average of 50,838 units sold per game

16 games below the average sales. the Lowest Selling game is at 3,415 Units.

for comparison.

41 Wii releases equaling a total of 6,239,758 units sold.

An average of 152,189 units sold per game.

35 Games below the Average sales. Lowest Selling Game is at 5,927 units.

Roughly half the Wii Sales are in 2 titles. Wii Sports and Wii Play

Jammy

Banned
laserbeam said:
yep going through famitsu's numbers theres been 26 Game releases for the PS3.

26 releases equalling a total of 1,321,801 units sold.

An Average of 50,838 units sold per game

16 games below the average sales. the Lowest Selling game is at 3,415 Units.

for comparison.

41 Wii releases equaling a total of 6,239,758 units sold.

An average of 152,189 units sold per game.

35 Games below the Average sales. Lowest Selling Game is at 5,927 units.

Roughly half the Wii Sales are in 2 titles. Wii Sports and Wii Play

Yikes... that's quite telling, especially given development costs and such.

laserbeam

Banned
sphinx said:
This:

cancels this:

doesn't it?

Taking out those 2 titles then lowers the sales average to 84,168 units per game.still a pretty good jump over the competition. roughly a 66% higher total

sphinx

the piano man
laserbeam said:
Taking out those 2 titles then lowers the sales average to 84,168 units per game.still a pretty good jump over the competition. roughly a 66% higher total

so you are basically saying Wii software wins over PS3 software even if we take Wii sports and Wii Play out of the equation..... I guess PS3 just never wins.

I think MnG5 will (or could) beat MP8 the launch week, for 2 simple reasons:

1- some time ago we heard MnG5 preorders were around 200k
2- only one time (MP3 for N64, if i remember good) a Mario Party sold more than 200k on debut and this is the first time (hope to not be wrong...) a MP game is not sold during winter holidays...

Of course, in the long run MP8 will win due to larger userbase, but for the first week i say 250-280k for MnG5 and 190-210k for MP8

I made a bet with a friend for It's a Wonderful World :
he says it will sell like Prof. Layton (when we made the bet it was at 500k, now is 600k, eheheheh) and i say it will sell around 200-250k

Lobster

Banned
Moor-Angol said:

2- only one time (MP3 for N64, if i remember good) a Mario Party sold more than 200k on debut and this is the first time (hope to not be wrong...) a MP game is not sold during winter holidays...

Of course, in the long run MP8 will win due to larger userbase, but for the first week i say 250-280k for MnG5 and 190-210k for MP8

This is the Wii and Ps3 we are talking about though. Wii is one of the gods of the Nintendo religion in Japan while Ps3..is well the Ps3? It didn't carry over the Ps2 userbase at all. Retailers propably preordered all those games because they expected it to be a hit like the Ps2 games..

Anyway..I might be proven wrong though.

acuul

Moor-Angol said:

I made a bet with a friend for It's a Wonderful World :
he says it will sell like Prof. Layton (when we made the bet it was at 500k, now is 600k, eheheheh) and i say it will sell around 200-250k

don't know, as someone already said MP8 genre fits perfectly on the Wii... it could beat minna...

complimenti per il restyling del sito Moor, ora e' molto piu' professionale
:p

ki/oon

Retailers preorder : MP8 = 500K, MnG5 = 300K according to Shinobi. He also stresses that there's a huge difference in preorders between MP8 and previous GC Mario Parties.
So my guess would be on MP8 first this week.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ki/oon said:
Retailers preorder : MP8 = 500K, MnG5 = 300K according to Shinobi. He also stresses that there's a huge difference in preorders between MP8 and previous GC Mario Parties.
OMG ki/oon you're alive. :lol

ki/oon said:

Oh shit.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
MnG5 = 300K

PS3 am back with vengeance? and I didn't knew & excepted that MP was an 500k+ seller.

Thomper

Vic said:
MnG5 = 300K

PS3 am back with vengeance? and I didn't knew & excepted that MP was an 500k+ seller.
Both are retailer pre-orders, so the amount of games stores will have in stock. In no way does this mean that either of these games will sell that amount in their first week.

nli10

mj1108 said:
First week Famitsu data from japan-gamecharts.com:

Mario Party 4 - 177,605
Mario Party 5 - 100,565
Mario Party 6 - 96,707
Mario Party 7 - 81,626

Should just point out - these were all GameCube games. Mario Party is the kind of series that you don't really need to buy on launch if you have one already. This is why MP4 had a massively higher opening than the relatively similar 5/6/7.

As pointed out further in the thread MP8 is very Wii Friendly, highly advertised and on the hot party system. I'd say 200k first day and reaching that half million store preorder total in around 3 weeks.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
ki/oon said:

So Sony kicks out their first really big title (Sales wise) since Gundam, and Nintendo counters it with MP8? and it's working? wow, that is telling, I think Japan, no matter what Sony do, Ninty will have a response waiting that same week to draw attention away, Ninty want to crash PS3 in Japan before it can even get off the blocks, clever bastards.

Edit: I know retail pre-orders =! sales, but in Japan they appear to be quite clever, if they are ordering nearly double of one game over another, I think it's a clear indication that they think one is going to outsell the other handsomely

legend166

Thomper said:
Both are retailer pre-orders, so the amount of games stores will have in stock. In no way does this mean that either of these games will sell that amount in their first week.

Obviously, but the talk is which game will sell more. The fact that MP8 has so much more stock means it has a pretty good chance of outselling MnG.

apujanata

ki/oon said:

And the tension increase again, with this latest news. Who will win ? Who will bring home the trophy ? You will get the news (of the rumoured first day sales) early next week.

Vinnk

If Mario Part 8 beats MNG it's gonna be very telling. I mean Sony is pushing MNG really hard. Ads everywhere, flyers, tons of hype. On the other hand I forgot MP8 was even out this week. Nintendo isn't pushing it that much at all. In my town, there are no kiosks, no flyers, nothing at most of the shops. I think Wanpaku has a poster up for it, but it is near the back. Meanwhile MNG has cardboad stand-ups, 2 large kiosks, and a wall of posters at the same store.

If Sony dosn't score a home run here, If this game dosn't hit #1, forget all that "wait for ____ stuff". Its not going to happen. No number of Gundabumbs are going to turn it around. The market will have spoken.

Mario Party 8 surprised me during last month's NPD's so anything can happen. American sales guaranteed 4 more but a Japanese homerun will pretty much guarantee Mario Parties in perpetuity:lol .

Vinnk said:
If Mario Part 8 beats MNG it's gonna be very telling. I mean Sony is pushing MNG really hard. Ads everywhere, flyers, tons of hype. On the other hand I forgot MP8 was even out this week. Nintendo isn't pushing it that much at all. In my town, there are no kiosks, no flyers, nothing at most of the shops. I think Wanpaku has a poster up for it, but it is near the back. Meanwhile MNG has cardboad stand-ups, 2 large kiosks, and a wall of posters at the same store.

If Sony dosn't score a home run here, If this game dosn't hit #1, forget all that "wait for ____ stuff". Its not going to happen. No number of Gundabumbs are going to turn it around. The market will have spoken.

What the hell?

What Wii games has Nintendo marketed? Anything to the degree of MNG?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AdmiralViscen said:
What the hell?

Yeah good question. Interested to hear his answer.

I'm still trying to figure out why Dewey is being sent to die next week.

Graphvially, Dewey's looks great but the control scheme could kill it. From what I saw, it can get a bit tedious moving him and platforming and killing enemies at the same time.

Vinnk

AdmiralViscen said:
What the hell?

There has been no game pushed to the level of MNG or Gundam.

Square pushed Swords really hard and it seemed Nintend helped. As for ther own titles, SPM was (comparatively) not well advertised, I saw nothing for Fire Emblem, BBA got a few ads and one store had a kiosk but frankly I don't see a dramactic improvement over how Nintendo pushed the games during the Gamecube era. What has changed is that Nindendo made a big deal about the Wii hardware itself, which is what most of their commercials focus on. They pushed the hardware and it is the hardware that is selling the games.

People don't care about sparks, or games that have them. Nintendo made them want, no NEED, that controller. Now that it is in their hands, they are looking around to see what they can do with it.

It's no surprise. Sony and Microsoft will always have the upper hand in advertising when it comes to games. Theirs will look prettier, shiner and more explosive.

Nintendo, on the other hand emphasizes the most compelling thing about thier racehorse. Even in the US, the ad's focus on the waggle is almost equal to the game itself.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
After Galaxy,SSBB and Wii Fit end 07 - there is nothing left that can stop the wii even a game like ff13 won`t mak a big difference . For 08 Games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing are already in Position....

:lol Mario party moved to battle HSG?

Wow... Iwata really is a evil genious, It is like he is reading sony's every move. The software pacing for wii/ds is just excellently timely in a business sense, especially in Japan.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ki/oon said:
Really nice.

sebthelobster said:

Wow... Iwata really is a evil genious, It is like he is reading sony's every move. The software pacing for wii/ds is just excellently timely in a business sense, especially in Japan.

It's like a chess game.

Sony: "Hot Shots Golf to July 15"
Nintendo: "Mario Party 8 to July 15"
Sony: "Blast"

I'd like a photoshop

sebthelobster said:

For the UK it is similar pricing and game release strategy

BBA for Wii hit this weekend and i bought 3 copies as it was £19 a piece and gave 2 to relatives with Wii's and had one myself (I also bought Yoshi's Island and Sim City DS to appease my inner non game/Game buying nature!)

But anyway a new Wii game at £19 has to hit the top ten this week in the UK and may hit the top as most retailers are selling it at £17.50 or so

LanceStern said:
It's like a chess game.

Sony: "Hot Shots Golf to July 15"
Nintendo: "Mario Party 8 to July 15"
Sony: "Blast"

I'd like a photoshop
I second that. Maybe even a gif, with a chess game going on, superimposed faces of Iwata, and the other guy from Sony. And just for fun, throw in an evel laugh here or there. Check mate.

donny2112

the thoroughbred said:
I second that. Maybe even a gif, with a chess game going on, superimposed faces of Iwata, and the other guy from Sony. And just for fun, throw in an evel laugh here or there. Check mate.

Might I suggest the Independence Day scene at the beginning where the son being Nintendo and the dad being Sony.

Son: "Mario Party 8 to July 26. Checkmate." *gets up to walk away*
Dad: "No, this is not checkmate. I can still... Oh."

DefectiveReject said:

BBA for Wii hit this weekend and i bought 3 copies as it was £19 a piece and gave 2 to relatives with Wii's and had one myself (I also bought Yoshi's Island and Sim City DS to appease my inner non game/Game buying nature!)

But anyway a new Wii game at £19 has to hit the top ten this week in the UK and may hit the top as most retailers are selling it at £17.50 or so

Yeah, the pricing for BBA Wii was perfect. £20 or just under for that type of game with that content is ideal in the scheme of UK pricing, and it astounds me that it's retailing for $50 in the US.

Cheesemeister said:
From Sinobi...

EDIT: Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 for PS2/Wii sold 100,000 copies on its first day with a PS2:Wii ratio of 8:2. Compared with LTDs for previous entries in the series on PS2...

Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 10 = 510k
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 11 = 440k
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 12 = 430k
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 13 = 330k

The GameCube version of 12 sold 80k. DS titles Mushi King Super Collection and Naruto: Shippuuden were off to a slow start with sales of only 20k. However, Detective Jinguuji Saburou (DS) is selling out with unexpectedly strong first day sales of 10k. The Best Price version of Ultraman Fighting Evolution 3 (PS2) sold through 30% of its 5000 unit shipment. The Sengoku Basara Double-Pack (PS2) that included a DVD sold a weak 1000 units.

A Hudson rep wrote a letter saying that Momotarou Dentetsu 16 for the Wii will be the last in the series, citing unpredictable sales making the choosing of shipment numbers unfeasible.

I dont know if you guys know about this series. But Powerful Pro baseball is by far the most fun baseball game I have ever played.

It uses a lego-like figure and plays like any normal baseball game would.

The real juice tho, is the RPG mode it has. You play as a new baseball player fresh out of highschool and into the team. There you will meet friends, rivalries, and raise your ability through lots of whacky whacky training. You can even find a frankestein-like doctor to "enhance" your body so you can run faster/throw faster etc.

And upon success you can use your god-like player and put them into your team. It is seriously awesome. More depth than all the EA sports games put together.

I seem to remember picking up this game all the way back in the SFC days.... I can honestly say this is one of my favourite series. But it is kind of depressing to see the sales declining. Maybe it has something to do with high profile players from Japan moving to the Major league in the USA. :(

here is some OP video, alot of hot-blooded baseball fun

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iqk5j53gkWk&mode=related&search=

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJJ6lAhOY8&mode=related&search=

milanbaros

Member?
DefectiveReject said:

It came in a #4.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
sebthelobster said:
I dont know if you guys know about this series. But Powerful Pro baseball is by far the most fun baseball game I have ever played.

46a4ea8c6dd59.jpg

46a4ecf25c89c.jpg

It uses a lego-like figure and plays like any normal baseball game would.

The real juice tho, is the RPG mode it has. You play as a new baseball player fresh out of highschool and into the team. There you will meet friends, rivalries, and raise your ability through lots of whacky whacky training. You can even find a frankestein-like doctor to "enhance" your body so you can run faster/throw faster etc.

And upon success you can use your god-like player and put them into your team. It is seriously awesome. More depth than all the EA sports games put together.

I seem to remember picking up this game all the way back in the SFC days.... I can honestly say this is one of my favourite series. But it is kind of depressing to see the sales declining. Maybe it has something to do with high profile players from Japan moving to the Major league in the USA. :(

here is some OP video, alot of hot-blooded baseball fun

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iqk5j53gkWk&mode=related&search=

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJJ6lAhOY8&mode=related&search=

I'm a big fan of the Pawa Puro series, even picked up the MLB one they did a year ago. Maybe the series decline has to do with the Pro Spirits franchise picking up?

The sheer number of attribute stats they track per player is staggering, and the RPG mode is awesome - why can't any of the western sports games try to incorporate anything like that?

Top Bottom