• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/9 - 7/15

Moor-Angol said:
New LTD from Famitsu DS + Wii :

Super Paper Mario - 455k
Resident Evil - 93k

i changed my site about Famitsu charts, trying to make more accurate, now you can see Publishers, original name in Japanese and original name for US (or western) release, if available
http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/wii.php

Both games sold around 6k a week, maybe SPM will beat Zelda TP and RE4 will easily go over 100k, mission accomplished for Capcom.

RE4 Wii sold great, considered it is the THIRD edition of the same game. Super Paper Mario is the best selling Paper Mario in Japan and it will likely sell better then TP. Don't say me then that software don't sell on Wii in Japan.

Threi

notag
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
RE4 Wii sold great, considered it is the THIRD edition of the same game. Super Paper Mario is the best selling Paper Mario in Japan and it will likely sell better then TP. Don't say me then that software don't sell on Wii in Japan.

1st party don't count
Remakes don't count
Popular 3rd party franchises don't count

what else is left?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Moor-Angol said:

Super Paper Mario - 455k
Resident Evil - 93k

i changed my site about Famitsu charts, trying to make more accurate, now you can see Publishers, original name in Japanese and original name for US (or western) release, if available

Both games sold around 6k a week, maybe SPM will beat Zelda TP and RE4 will easily go over 100k, mission accomplished for Capcom.

cvx will be very pleased.

Threi

notag
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
What count ? :lol

I just never really got that way of thinking at all. Do people REALLY go in stores and look at a game and say "you know what i don't want this game because it is 1st party". Why the hell does it matter?

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
1st party don't count
Remakes don't count
Popular 3rd party franchises don't count
Non-games dont count
2nd party dont count
anime games dont count
anything by SquareExnix dont count
3rd party games with a Nintendo character dont count
multiplatform games dont count
etc. etc...

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
I just never really got that way of thinking at all. Do people REALLY go in stores and look at a game and say "you know what i don't want this game because it is 1st party". Why the hell does it matter?

Of course not. The casual doesn't know nothing about first and this party games. Even the hardcore converted doesn't know nothing about. The old, fanatic hardcore know that.

It is a combination of factors that make a game a success or a failure.

Stealth Editor said:
Non-games dont count
2nd party dont count
anime games dont count
anything by SquareExnix dont count
3rd party games with a Nintendo character dont count
multiplatform games dont count
etc. etc...

The bolded was the best one. :lol

This week will be huge for sales in Japan...

we'll have a Minnabump, a PartyGundambump and usual DSL incredible sales (Taiko no Tatsujin + It's a Wonderful World)

could we have 4 Wii games (MP8, Gundam, Sports and Play) in top10 ?

Moor-Angol said:

we'll have a Minnabump, a PartyGundambump and usual DSL incredible sales (Taiko no Tatsujin + It's a Wonderful World)

Oh shit. Mario Party 8 ? But I don't expect USA or Europe's levels of sales for this game (because it is really bad and in japan this matters more).

What interest me is Minna no Golf and It's a Wonderful World. Could the latter make the surprise and reach Layton-like sales ?

Moor-Angol said:

Yeah, this week will be epic, that's for sure. Plus NPD comes out tomorrow as well. :)

Oh, and thanks for your site. Awesome stuff!

BishopLamont said:
Lance you should really stop thinking anything selling a certain amount = bomba eg. anything <299k. Games vary in cost for everything, from development cost to advertisement cost to marketing cost. These "training" games aren't really niche anymore, they're the norm among the non-gamers, I highly doubt much marketing is needed in these kinda games. You can guess how much is needed for development cost yourself.

Stumpokapow said:
This should not present itself as an exception to the bomba critique, rather a systematic demonstration of why your standards are deeply flawed across the board.

Assuming it sold 30k, that's more than three hundred thousand dollars US for the developer. Assuming a dev time of three months (being generous here) and five full time staff (generous again) at 10,000 (hahahah yeah right) per person per month, you're looking at a pretty solid profit.

The game was not advertised and even if it was advertised, the remaining funds that are not included in that hundred thousand but are going towards the publisher/developer will more than cover press releases, website work, and retailer presentations, which are probably the bulk of advertising.

Bomba is not a magic number, like everyone has told you a trillion times before. It's a combination of budget, expectations, and how retailers, publishers, and developers all benefit in terms of goodwill and economically from a product.

This is to both of you. Some of my messages:

LanceStern said:
So basically every game has to be a break-out smash hit for you?
Must I repeat myself? It depends on the budget/advertising/initial probability of success. Once again I like sales of Lost Magic in the US even though it's less than 50k. I like sales of Harvest moon in Japan even at 200k (which is great for it's franchise, because it's initial probability of usccess was low, it's advertising and budget was low, but look at how well it sold).

LanceStern said:
Perhpas my standards are too high but gosh darn it I just won't be satisfied until I see more of those numebrs. But a few points:

1) There are exceptions to my 300k rule. Titles like Harvest Moon, Digimon, etc. actually OVERperformed in my eyes despite selling 100k ~ 160k. For the US, I was extremely impressed with Lost MAgic's sales, and that thing has barely done 50,00! Same goes for Age of Empires (80-90,000). I guess it's the games obscurity that lowers the bar. But for these big name DS titles, 100- 200k just doesn't cut it imo.

Hey, where are our unofficial numbers...

You're telling me stuff I've been saying for a year. I know success depends on budgets and profits and advertisement and what audience it appeals to. It's not "right" to you guys to base it off some number..

But, to the mass market, and to me personally, numbers really help the feeling of success. You could sell one of an item and make a great profit, and that's fine, go ahead and call it a success. It is.

But I'd rather see you sell a mass amount of an item to the same profit. Now is it not only a success to you, but it is to other people observing you. Its selling great, people know about it, you're making money and have built a great fanbase to pick up sequels or other titles.

Which is why I'm torn. World History has probably already made a profit as you guys have said, it certainly sold more than I thought. It's still 30k,...

I'm up in the air there

Threi

notag
nextgeneration said:
Yeah, this week will be epic, that's for sure. Plus NPD comes out tomorrow as well. :)

Oh, and thanks for your site. Awesome stuff!

oh yeah NPD! Excellent birthday present. :lol

schuelma

Moor-Angol said:

Yeah, it should be interesting. What are reasonable expectations for MP8?

I also want to thank you for your site- its a really great resource.

schuelma said:
Yeah, it should be interesting. What are reasonable expectations for MP8?

I also want to thank you for your site- its a really great resource.

Someone has a list of Mario Party launch weeks.
BEFORE seeing the list, I'd say reasonable expectations for launch is >150k.

But I need the list

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
cvx will be very pleased.

lovefoxxx.jpg
lovefoxxx.jpg
lovefoxxx.jpg

lovefoxxx.jpg
lovefoxxx.jpg
lovefoxxx.jpg

lovefoxxx.jpg
lovefoxxx.jpg
lovefoxxx.jpg

schuelma

cvxfreak,

So I'm trying to go very very slowly through RE4 (first time playing it, want to savor it).

Just made it to 3-2. Does it get even better? Because right now its my favorite Wii game by far...so so amazing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LanceStern said:
You're telling me stuff I've been saying for a year. I know success depends on budgets and profits and advertisement and what audience it appeals to.

Yes, we know that when challenged on your peculiar set of standards you admit the obvious. The problem is that you seem to see your set of standards, including the mystical 300k number, as a good policy for the majority of games and everything else as an exception.

It makes no sense to have ANY magic number, which is what people are telling you. It's not like most games need to hit 300k and LostMagic and Subway Training 37 are exceptions. 300k is a meaningless number PERIOD.

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:
cvxfreak,

So I'm trying to go very very slowly through RE4 (first time playing it, want to savor it).

Just made it to 3-2. Does it get even better? Because right now its my favorite Wii game by far...so so amazing.

Congratualtions for getting RE4:WE. It's by far the best you could have done with your money, specially since you haven't played the game before.

once you are done with the main game, prepare for a bunch of FANTASTIC extras. :).

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
cvxfreak,

Yes it does. Yes it does. :D

Haunted

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Oh shit. Mario Party 8 ? But I don't expect USA or Europe's levels of sales for this game (because it is really bad and in japan this matters more).
oy oy, it might not be Super Mario Galaxy, but it's a highly enjoyable game if you take it for what it is - a fun party-game that is fantastic with 4-players. I don't expect it to sell a lot more than its predecessors (although it is the best Mario Party so far, imo).

edit: Just seen the list for 4-7... hmm, there's a clear decline - looks like Japanese gamers really are tired of that franchise. Very interesting to see how 8 will do. Does someone have a Japanese LTD of Mario Party 4-7?

schuelma said:

heh, awesome, I literally just finished 3-2 five minutes ago. I already played through it on GC when it first came out, though. It still creeps the hell out of me. >_<

Xeke

Banned
LanceStern said:

You're telling me stuff I've been saying for a year. I know success depends on budgets and profits and advertisement and what audience it appeals to. It's not "right" to you guys to base it off some number..

But, to the mass market, and to me personally, numbers really help the feeling of success. You could sell one of an item and make a great profit, and that's fine, go ahead and call it a success. It is.

But I'd rather see you sell a mass amount of an item to the same profit. Now is it not only a success to you, but it is to other people observing you. Its selling great, people know about it, you're making money and have built a great fanbase to pick up sequels or other titles.

Which is why I'm torn. World History has probably already made a profit as you guys have said, it certainly sold more than I thought. It's still 30k,...

I'm up in the air there

Weren't you the guy who said the exact opposite of that and that a game needed to sell 300k to be a success?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Xeke said:
Weren't you the guy who said the exact opposite of that and that a game needed to sell 300k to be a success?

Yes unless it's on the List of Exceptions. He hasn't mentioned yet whether or not any of the following games are successes or not even though they obviously are (I picked them completely randomly across Wii, DS, 360, and PSP choosing only for examples that would obviously be "exceptions" to the 300k rule):

Code:
296,521	Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu Nouryoku Trainer Portable (Sega) (10/20/05) - through June 25/06 
287,343	World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Ubiquitous Edition(+PSP the Best)(Konami) (9/15/05)/(4/27/06) - through ? (between Mar 5/06–Apr 23/06) / July 30/06 (MC) (240,067+47,276)
286,187	Shin Sangoku Musou (Dynasty Warriors) (Koei) (12/16/04) - through Dec 25/05
271,425	SD Gundam G Generation Portable (Bandai) (8/3/06) – through Dec 31/06 
267,570	Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou (Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions) (Square Enix) (5/10/07) – through June 10/07
181,161	Mahjong Kakutou Club (+ PSP the Best) (Konami) (12/12/04) / (3/2/06) - through ? (between Jan 1/06 – Feb 26/06) / Oct 1/06 (134,572 + 46,589)
168,928	Talkman (Sony) (11/17/05) - through Oct 1/06
139,765	Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (Bandai) (4/20/06) - through Oct 1/06
131,933	Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan Daijiten (+ PSP The Best) (Namco) (12/16/04) / (11/17/05) - through Dec 25/05 / Dec 25/05 (115,349 + 16,584)
134,482	Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Neo (Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2) (Bandai) (1/1/07) - through May 13/07
97,134	Ennichi no Tatsujin (Namco) (12/2/06) - through May 13/07
86,000	Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Takara Tomy) (2/22/07) - rounded off through Apr 29/07 (MC)
81,481	BioHazard 4 Wii Edition (Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition) (Capcom) (5/31/07) - through June 24/07
68,728	Bleach Wii: Hakujin Kirameku Rondo (Sega) (12/14/06) - through Mar 25/07
66,618	One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Bandai) (4/26/07) - through May 20/07
62,660	Cooking Mama (Taito) (3/23/06) - through Mar 11/07
46,339	The Idol Master (Namco) (1/25/07) – through June 17/07
44,922	Shinseiki Evangelion 2: Tsukurareshi Sekai - Another Cases (Bandai) (4/27/06) – through Oct 1/06
44,229	Doko Demo Issho: Let's Gakkou! (Sony) (6/15/06) – through Oct 1/06
11,595	Metal Gear Solid: Bande Dessinee (Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel) (Konami) (9/21/06) – through ? (between Oct 22/06 – Mar 4/07)
17,530	Namco Museum 2 (Namco) (2/23/06) - through Mar 26/06

So the question becomes to me that if you keep listing hundreds of games as exceptions, what's the point of the rule?

Stumpokapow said:
Yes unless it's on the List of Exceptions. He hasn't mentioned yet whether or not any of the following games are successes or not even though they obviously are (I picked them completely randomly across Wii, DS, 360, and PSP choosing only for examples that would obviously be "exceptions" to the 300k rule):

Code:
296,521	Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu Nouryoku Trainer Portable (Sega) (10/20/05) - through June 25/06 
287,343	World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Ubiquitous Edition(+PSP the Best)(Konami) (9/15/05)/(4/27/06) - through ? (between Mar 5/06–Apr 23/06) / July 30/06 (MC) (240,067+47,276)
286,187	Shin Sangoku Musou (Dynasty Warriors) (Koei) (12/16/04) - through Dec 25/05
271,425	SD Gundam G Generation Portable (Bandai) (8/3/06) – through Dec 31/06 
267,570	Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou (Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions) (Square Enix) (5/10/07) – through June 10/07
181,161	Mahjong Kakutou Club (+ PSP the Best) (Konami) (12/12/04) / (3/2/06) - through ? (between Jan 1/06 – Feb 26/06) / Oct 1/06 (134,572 + 46,589)
168,928	Talkman (Sony) (11/17/05) - through Oct 1/06
139,765	Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (Bandai) (4/20/06) - through Oct 1/06
131,933	Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan Daijiten (+ PSP The Best) (Namco) (12/16/04) / (11/17/05) - through Dec 25/05 / Dec 25/05 (115,349 + 16,584)
134,482	Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Neo (Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2) (Bandai) (1/1/07) - through May 13/07
97,134	Ennichi no Tatsujin (Namco) (12/2/06) - through May 13/07
86,000	Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Takara Tomy) (2/22/07) - rounded off through Apr 29/07 (MC)
81,481	BioHazard 4 Wii Edition (Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition) (Capcom) (5/31/07) - through June 24/07
68,728	Bleach Wii: Hakujin Kirameku Rondo (Sega) (12/14/06) - through Mar 25/07
66,618	One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Bandai) (4/26/07) - through May 20/07
62,660	Cooking Mama (Taito) (3/23/06) - through Mar 11/07
46,339	The Idol Master (Namco) (1/25/07) – through June 17/07
44,922	Shinseiki Evangelion 2: Tsukurareshi Sekai - Another Cases (Bandai) (4/27/06) – through Oct 1/06
44,229	Doko Demo Issho: Let's Gakkou! (Sony) (6/15/06) – through Oct 1/06
11,595	Metal Gear Solid: Bande Dessinee (Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel) (Konami) (9/21/06) – through ? (between Oct 22/06 – Mar 4/07)
17,530	Namco Museum 2 (Namco) (2/23/06) - through Mar 26/06

I would call them all 100% successes besides One piece, Namco Museum and MGS: DGN to an extent....

The only real reason I take One Piece out of there is because I need to know how has previous One-Piece titles sold in japan? Because this is a popular manga, great art style, on the upcoming Wii Star, but couldn't break 100k. The art style alone looks like they put a littl eoomph into the development (as well as $$) and I dont' know if 66k is enough in either profit or market penetration to be a success.

Namco Museum is too popular as well.

So the question becomes to me that if you keep listing hundreds of games as exceptions, what's the point of the rule?

Good question.

cvxfreak said:

May I join in the celebration?

HappyPS3.jpg
HappyPS3.jpg
HappyPS3.jpg

mj1108 said:
Mario Party 4 - 177,605
Mario Party 5 - 100,565
Mario Party 6 - 96,707
Mario Party 7 - 81,626

And thank you for the Mario Party List. I would say even 80k opening week would be good for Mario Party Wii. But I'd be expecting more.

Innotech

Banned
Mario Party 8 is a pretty good game.
Ive been playing it with friends/roomate since I got it and its been a lot of fun.

apotema

Mario Party 8 will sell very good, at least better than 6 and 7, and Gundam will do better than the other GC and Wii Gundams

MNG will do better than the PSP games

Vinnk

apotema said:
Mario Party 8 will sell very good, at least better than 6 and 7, and Gundam will do better than the other GC and Wii Gundams

MNG will do better than the PSP games

Better than MNG Portable? Really? I for one doubt it. It's one of the best selling games on the PSP and the PSP has a much larger base than the PS3.

apujanata

Moor-Angol said:

Super Paper Mario - 455k
Resident Evil - 93k

Nice that you have added the publisher, and have both original game in Japanese and US.

Now, the only remaining info you might want to consider to add is the Last update column. You put the date of the week that the Total column reflect on. I have the last update column in my own excel spreadsheet. I also calculate the date difference between release date and last update column, so I will know whether I should ignore the % value (of first week value compared to total value) or not.

Say : For Wii Sports, the 1.710.634 figure is based on sales up to July 8, 2007, or 08/07/2007 in your date format (DD/MM/YYYY).

My own expectation for Mario Party 8 first week sales is : 100-180K. I believe it should be to get 150K+, first week.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
Better than MNG Portable? Really? I for one doubt it. It's one of the best selling games on the PSP and the PSP has a much larger base than the PS3.

Vinnk, Hot Shot golf is released on Dec 12, 04, as a launch software. PSP sales on the release week, is 160,019.

Also, please remember that PSP S/W are doing below average, when compared to the size of PSP H/W. I think lots of people bought PSP for it's non-gaming capability, which cause the S/W to suffer lower sales #.

Now PS3 LTD are almost 1 million. I do believe it is possible that MNG 5 will have better first week sales compared to MNG Portable. In fact, I do believe MNG 5 should have 100K - 200K first week sales, which is much lower than MNG4 First week sales (475K on Nov 27, 2003). I believe the first week sales is 150K- (probably 120-130).

Vinnk

apujanata said:
Vinnk, Hot Shot golf is released on Dec 12, 04, as a launch software. PSP sales on the release week, is 160,019.

Also, please remember that PSP S/W are doing below average, when compared to the size of PSP H/W. I think lots of people bought PSP for it's non-gaming capability, which cause the S/W to suffer lower sales #.

Now PS3 LTD are almost 1 million. I do believe it is possible that MNG 5 will have better first week sales compared to MNG Portable. In fact, I do believe MNG 5 should have 100K - 200K first week sales, which is much lower than MNG4 First week sales (475K on Nov 27, 2003). I believe the first week sales is 150K- (probably 120-130).

Ahh.. first week sales. Sorry I must have missread. Yeah, it will likely beat the MNGP first week sales. Especially with the huge advertising push Sony is giving it.

Vinnk said:
Ahh.. first week sales. Sorry I must have missread. Yeah, it will likely beat the MNGP first week sales. Especially with the huge advertising push Sony is giving it.
I watch Japanese TV for about 10 mins a week, not a huge amount by any means, but this week's 10 mins seem to have been 9 mins of Hot Shot adverts

apujanata

Vinnk said:

My statement is also valid for LTD. MNG Portable LTD is very low. Only 399,161 sales by 25-Dec-05, about one after release on 12-Dec-04. Even if it managed to sell about 100-200K in year 2006, it will only have 500-600K LTD, which is much lower than MNG 4 on PS2, which managed to get 1 Million one year after release. There is also MNG4 The best version, which managed 228K in 2005, and bring the total of MNG4 (all version) to almost 1.3 Million.

marvelharvey said:
I watch Japanese TV for about 10 mins a week, not a huge amount by any means, but this week's 10 mins seem to have been 9 mins of Hot Shot adverts

In other words, if Hot Shot Golf 5 fail (first week sales), and PS3 got an insignificant bump (less than 100% H/W increase) we can declare that PS3 is worse than GCN, right ?

apotema

apujanata said:
In other words, if Hot Shot Golf 5 fail (first week sales), and PS3 got an insignificant bump (less than 100% H/W increase) we can declare that PS3 is worse than GCN, right ?

I think this time PS3 will receive a bump, interest is starting to pick up after the "price drop" in USA, the trailers, and the overall fame of MNG

LTD will be a close call between Mario Party and MNG, I'll give the nod to MNG.... first week I'm sure MNG will do better

Link

The Autumn Wind
apotema said:
I think this time PS3 will receive a bump, interest is starting to pick up after the "price drop" in USA, the trailers, and the overall fame of MNG
The latter two, obviously, but what does a US pricedrop have to do with the the level of interest in Japan?

Innotech

Banned
apotema said:

LTD will be a close call between Mario Party and MNG, I'll give the nod to MNG.... first week I'm sure MNG will do better

I think whatll happen is a small bump in hardware and sizeable sales for MNG, followed by a return back to irrelevance.

milanbaros

Member?
apotema said:

A price drop in the US? Would a PS3 price drop in Japan make you go out and buy a PS3? Its like those people that came out and said that sales shouldpick up after LBP was revealed. Most people don't even know it exists.

sphinx

the piano man
sp0rsk said:
Mario Party 8 will be number one this week.

that´s what I think too.

People here talk about how traditionally Minna no Golf has attracted lots of gamers and how the series are an example of selling power and market relevance in Japan.

Thing is we are in 2007, a year when a certain console outsells the other console 7 or 8 to 1 per week. That means people are CRAZY for the first one and unimpressed with the other one. History has shown that the japanese Wii fanbase buys games with enthusiasm and in some cases, we have games with very decent legs. The PS3 japanese fanbase on the other hand, has been as unresponsive as it gets when interesting software has been introduced. Virtua Fighter 5, Gundam Musou, Ninga Gaiden, Folksoul, none of them has managed to actually make a change in favor of the PS3. Minna no golf, will for sure have a better 1st week sales than the games I already mentioned but the tendencies are pretty negative. It will not have PS2 or even PSP levels of performance on the long term, it would be a miracle if that happened.

Mario party 8 will sell better than its predecessors just because it's on Wii and MnG sill sell worse or less good than its predecessors because it's on PS3. A simple, yet unfair truth.

My conclusion: Mario Party 8 will be FAR above MnG on first week sales.

LanceStern said:

I'm up in the air there

To the mass market numbers mean nothing, if they want a game they will buy it. Big numbers are only relevant to publishers/developers and NeoGAF. As long as the former makes a healthy profit they're happy, the latter will always be unhappy.

Top Bottom