• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2017 (Jul 31 - Aug 06)

horuhe

Btw, Rakuten Books has Switch bundles in this order:

13. Splatoon
14. Neon
16. Gray

and compared to last week:

03. Splatoon
04. Neon
05. Gray

I would have released the Zelda DLC alongside Splatoon 2 (and the increased Switch shipments) and featured the game at game shops with posters and shit, telling people that new content is out and more is being planned.

Nintendo kinda forgot that Zelda exists and they are not really pushing it to new Switch owners.

Xbro

I would have released the Zelda DLC alongside Splatoon 2 (and the increased Switch shipments) and featured the game at game shops with posters and shit, telling people that new content is out and more is being planned.

Nintendo kinda forgot that Zelda exists and they are not really pushing it to new Switch owners.

I think it's just that they let Aonuma do what he wants.

I think Nintendo's waiting until the story DLC to do a relaunch of sorts for the game.

He can do whatever he wants but the game can't stop selling this early in Switch's life.

I really don't understand why it doesn't have legs. Unless the market is flooded with used copies.

But it does have legs. Also the market is flooded with used copies.

Gradivus

Christmas will have larger shipments, which will be more beneficial worldwide for Zelda.

KtSlime

That seems like a bad idea, I am on holiday and I still can't find enough time for both Splatoon and DQ11, it's best to put DLC out when there is less competition for attention. Putting it out now is just killing it.

Alrus

He can do whatever he wants but the game can't stop selling this early in Switch's life.

I really don't understand why it doesn't have legs. Unless the market is flooded with used copies.

For a Zelda game it's already pretty great legs and it's not done selling...

Ōkami

I don't know about you, but I don't think people buy games because of DLC.

Zelda's potential was hampered by Switch's shortages, they could have ads airing everyday now and it wouldn't increase sales of the games much, it already sold most of what its going to sell.

Ōkami;246078396 said:
I don't know about you, but I don't think people buy games because of DLC.

Zelda's potential was hampered by Switch's shortages, they could have ads airing everyday now and it wouldn't increase sales of the games much, it already sold most of what its going to sell.

They don't buy games because of DLC, but DLC is an excuse to market the game a second time, and hopefully reach more gamers.

That happened with Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, etc.

D.Lo

Also, with Switch save files on the system now, the cards are essentially like discs.

If you finished the main quest and can get 70% of your money back from Bookoff, you can pick Zelda back up via a presumably cheaper used copy a year from now and your save will be intact.

Maybe Nintendo will issue a 'complete' version with DLC on card in a year too.

DrGrus

If I understand it correctly most of the sold switch are splatoon bundles. That means that most of the people buying a switch already have a game. It might be so simple that many new buyers do not feel the need to buy more games first day.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Zelda has the highest attach rate of all switch games last quarter d sold over in a million in the 3 months between quarters. The fact it's not doing so well in Japan as literally everywhere else doesn't matter so much in the grand scheme of things.

random25

It still sells for like 5k each week, and has already made about 700k combined with Wii U (no digital included). So it's doing quite well for a market that is not so hot for a Zelda game.

I would argue that a lot of the people buying the switch for the summer season are more doing so for Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 2 alone. Even if the Zelda DLC came out the day after Splatoon 2, it wouldn't really help.

Arzehn

So did Splatoon overship?

There's reports on japanese blog that it's selling for a meager 2,000 yen already...

c24ae690172a078bc5a1b0d96c59fa01.jpg

07fcc66dc44137e5b48b9e89f6e4e8f7.jpg

Sakura

There's reports on japanese blog that it's selling for a meager 2,000 yen already...

No, they are buying it for 2000 yen.
If I brought a used copy to that store to sell it, they would give me 2000 yen. (albeit that is pretty low... edit:actually I guess it makes sense if people get the bundle then are trying to sell back the game because they don't want it, assuming the bundle is physical copy)

KtSlime

I'm going to assume you can't read Japanese. I would recommend learning how to do so before making silly statements.

買取 is used to say what they will buy the used copy for.

ぜひ 当店でお売りください is Please sell to this store!

So stores are BUYING for a meager 2000 yen.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
If you can't read japanese you should avoid posting info you can't understand.
Don't think there's a need to be a dick about someone making that mistake really? Much easier to point out that it means they'll buy it from you for 2000 yen, and now the poster and maybe someone other people have learned what to look for.

Edit: And in the time it took me to post this other people have done the same. Sakura's post is an example of the correct way to speak to people, for future reference. This kind of thing keeps me and others out of these threads. Well done, you read two elementary kanji.

I don't think they could guarantee when the would be able to increase Switch production by the time they set a release date. Remember, there are component shortages.

Besides, the DLC pack in the holiday will more than make up for any lost opportunity here, especially in the west.

KtSlime

Don't think there's a need to be a dick about someone making that mistake really? Much easier to point out that it means they'll buy it from you for 2000 yen, and now the poster and maybe someone other people have learned what to look for.

This kind of thing keeps me out of these threads.

He was coming in to troll, if he was truly curious, he would say something like:

"I found this blog post about Splatoon, what does it say". Then no one would have been 'a dick' to him.

I have doubts that Arzehn's intentions with his post were innocent. If they were, he wouldn't have jumped to calling it Bombatoon 2 (and subsequently editing it out).

Edit: And in the time it took me to post this other people have done the same. Sakura's post is an example of the correct way to speak to people, for future reference. This kind of thing keeps me and others out of these threads. Well done, you read two elementary kanji.

He can be a little bit of an ass about it if he wants. He came of as a troll and probably should understand Japanese before you say "bomba 2". Bomba is one of the dumbest words gamers use.

duckroll

Not sure the guy who got a thread backfire for being bitter that some stranger wouldn't take his picture for him should be talking down to people about the "correct" way to interact with others tbh. And if that keeps you out of this thread, good.

D.Lo

I've literally made this mistake myself in kanteidans in Japan, you see a price next to an item and think it's for sale... but it's just the ripoff trade-in price.

Fair call.

The reaction is most likely due to all the drive-bys downplaying Switch or some games lately with 'sales went up/down/sideways this week is it really supply constrained???'. People assume it was someone ill informed jumping onto anything interpretable as bad Switch/other thing news as proof of bomba/'the fad is over'.

casiopao

It is the usual culprit. There is no need to play around the bush lol.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Splatoon 2 standalone copies look to be at 20-30k from most retailer lists. Bundles did all the work again for its sales.
___

There will be rise for evergreen titles this and next week.

casiopao

Splatoon 2 standalone copies look to be at 20-30k from most retailer lists. Bundles did all the work again for its sales.
___

There will be rise for evergreen titles this and next week.

So we can probably can see ARMS, Bomberman, MK8DX,1-2Switch and also Zelda increase in number sold right?

I wonder how well will FE musou do considering that most of the Switch owners right now seems to be damn active lol.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Final formatting of Bic Camera lotteries. As long as they continue we'll have an idea of weekly Switch shipments.

Week 32, 2017 (Aug 7 - Aug 13)

Bic Camera lotteries August 13

Nintendo Switch Splatoon 2 Set - 2700 (17 stores)
Nintendo Switch Neon Blue/Neon Red - 600 (5 stores)
Nintendo Switch Gray - 500 (4 stores)
Total - 3800 (26 stores)

Code:
+--------------------------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+
|                          |  Week 23  |  Week 24  |  Week 25  |  Week 26  |  Week 27  |  Week 28  |  Week 29  |  Week 30  |  Week 31  |  Week 32  |  Week 33  |  Week 34  |  Week 35  |
| Bic Camera store   (No.) |06.05-06.11|06.12-06.18|06.19-06.25|06.26-07.02|07.03-07.09|07.10-07.16|07.17-07.23|07.24-07.30|07.31-08.06|08.07-08.13|08.14-08.20|08.21-08.27|08.28-09.03|
|                          |-15 stores |-12 stores | -8 stores | -5 stores | -3 stores | -2 stores |+preorders |           |           |           |           |           |           |
+--------------------------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+-----------+
| Ikebukuro Head     (007) |         * |         * |         * |         * |         * |         * |       276 |       300 |       300 |       300 |           |           |           |
| Ikebukuro Nishi    (017) |        20 |        25 |        20 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        20 |       100 |         0 |         0 |           |           |           |
| Yuurakuchou        (014) |        83 |        99 |        59 |        54 |       120 |        63 |       138 |       500 |       300 |       300 |           |           |           |
| Shinjyuku Nishi    (016) |         * |         * |         * |        40 |        80 |        45 |        40 |       250 |       150 |       150 |           |           |           |
| Shinjyuku Bicoro   (116) |         * |         * |         * |        30 |        60 |        31 |        66 |       250 |       150 |       150 |           |           |           |
| Shinjyuku East     (111) |        15 |        15 |        15 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        20 |         0 |         0 |         0 |           |           |           |
| Shibuya East       (008) |        20 |        25 |        20 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        20 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Shibuya Hachiko    (004) |         * |         * |        15 |         * |        40 |        10 |        19 |         0 |         0 |         0 |           |           |           |
| Akasaka            (117) |        15 |        15 |        15 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        20 |         0 |         0 |         0 |           |           |           |
| Akiba              (121) |         * |         * |       180 |       110 |       180 |        85 |       150 |       200 |       200 |       200 |           |           |           |
| Tachikawa          (012) |        45 |        50 |        45 |        30 |        60 |        30 |        55 |       100 |       200 |       200 |           |           |           |
| Seiseki            (110) |        15 |        15 |        15 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        30 |         0 |         0 |         0 |           |           |           |
| Hachijoji          (114) |        30 |        32 |        24 |        19 |        35 |        20 |        60 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Kawasaki           (038) |        80 |        90 |       125 |        65 |       130 |        65 |       140 |       500 |       300 |       300 |           |           |           |
| Yokohama Shin      (104) |        15 |        15 |        15 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        40 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Yokohama West      (005) |         0 |         0 |         0 |         0 |         0 |         0 |        10 |         0 |         0 |         0 |           |           |           |
| Fujisawa           (037) |         * |        30 |        25 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        55 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Sagami-Ono         (108) |         * |        25 |        20 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        35 |         0 |         0 |         0 |           |           |           |
| Kashiwa Oak        (035) |         * |         * |         * |         * |         * |         * |        50 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Kashiwa Funabashi  (109) |         * |         * |        20 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        35 |         0 |         0 |         0 |           |           |           |
| Ohmiya             (034) |        29 |        30 |        31 |        21 |        40 |        20 |        50 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Takasaki           (091) |        15 |        15 |        10 |        20 |        20 |        20 |        30 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Mito               (115) |         * |         * |         * |         * |         * |        20 |        21 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Sapporo            (015) |         * |         * |         * |        26 |        55 |        22 |        58 |       200 |       200 |       200 |           |           |           |
| Niigata            (106) |         * |         * |         * |         * |        40 |        20 |        30 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Hamamatsu          (105) |        15 |        15 |        15 |        19 |        40 |        20 |        30 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Nagoya Station     (033) |         * |        40 |        25 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        45 |       100 |         0 |       150 |           |           |           |
| Nagoya JR          (120) |        50 |        45 |        30 |        25 |        40 |        20 |        50 |       100 |       200 |       150 |           |           |           |
| Kyoto              (101) |        15 |        15 |        15 |        20 |        20 |        40 |        30 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Osaka Nanba        (013) |        35 |        40 |        30 |        30 |        60 |        30 |        45 |       200 |       200 |       200 |           |           |           |
| Okayama            (102) |        15 |        15 |        15 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        35 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Hiroshima          (119) |         * |         * |        20 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        30 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Kyushu Tenjin      (018) |        15 |        15 |        15 |        20 |        40 |        20 |        30 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Kyushu Kagoshima   (107) |         * |         * |         * |        20 |        40 |        20 |        35 |       100 |         0 |       100 |           |           |           |
| Splatoon 2 Set           |(00)     0 |(00)     0 |(00)     0 |(00)     0 |(00)     0 |(00)     0 |(34)     * |(10) 1.800 |(08) 1.800 |(17) 2.700 |(  )       |(  )       |(  )       |
| Neon Blue/Neon Red       |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(10) 1.700 |(01)   200 |(05)   600 |(  )       |(  )       |(  )       |
| Gray                     |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(07)   800 |(01)   200 |(04)   500 |(  )       |(  )       |(  )       |
| Total                    |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)     * |(**)   789 |(**) 1.580 |(**)   841 |(**) 1.798 |(27) 4.300 |(10) 2.200 |(26) 3.800 |(  )       |(  )       |(  )       |
| Media Create             |    27.291 |    37.709 |    22.361 |    25.805 |    26.256 |    31.906 |    98.999 |    89.314 |    61.933 |           |           |           |           |
| Famitsu                  |    28.293 |    49.440 |    26.964 |    24.736 |    36.143 |    25.154 |   102.581 |   105.697 |    69.686 |           |           |           |           |
| Dengeki                  |    29.020 |    43.850 |    22.495 |    25.442 |    32.769 |    24.462 |    93.611 |    90.522 |    57.300 |           |           |           |           |

L~A

No, they are buying it for 2000 yen.
If I brought a used copy to that store to sell it, they would give me 2000 yen. (albeit that is pretty low... edit:actually I guess it makes sense if people get the bundle then are trying to sell back the game because they don't want it, assuming the bundle is physical copy)

Yeah, it's definitely on the low side, but it's no wonder given there's really no shortage of ne Splatoon 2 copies, and majority of weekly sales come from the bundle.

Since people are getting the game with the console, there's no real interest in used copies.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Last time amazon put on sale a special bundle with Bomberman they managed to get a 5k shipment from Nintendo in a week Switch sold 32k.

This time they had 2 bundles:

Splatoon 2 bundle + Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2 bundle + Arms

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Also i heard there is update coming right? That would probably help too.

Yes a new fighter is coming. But timings with the supposed big shipment don't align
Let's hope the shipment helps it to hold this week and the DLC the week after

Bomberman is my MVP in terms of sales, it's over 100k in Dengeki and pops up every other week or so. It'd actually be at 110k if you include MC's Amazon bundle bump of 5.200 that wasn't tracked by the others.

We know it was at 500k worldwide by the end of March, who knows where it's at now. You think Konami would announce if it passed a million?

noshten

Bomberman is my MVP in terms of sales, it's over 100k in Dengeki and pops up every other week or so. It'd actually be at 110k if you include MC's Amazon bundle bump of 5.200 that wasn't tracked by the others.

We know it was at 500k worldwide by the end of March, who knows where it's at now. You think Konami would announce if it passed a million?

I'm sure it will pass a million at some point.
Personally I was expecting a price drop much sooner from Konami, instead like most 3rd party Switch support it took a while for the game to get a discount. In any case I picked it up when they discounted it and can confirm that playing with more than 3 players is still a great way to pass some time.

If Konami drop the price to $20 or $25 for Black Friday/December and provide enough stock they could comfortably have one of the first 3rd party games on the Switch to pass 1 million.

The one unknown is Switch's digital market place - this is a considerable revenue stream and so far precious little is know about sales. Currently there have been some information like Kamiko passing 100K in July but without anything official from Microsoft regarding Minecraft or official digital numbers from Nintendo for MK8D, Arms and Splatoon 2 it's difficult to speculate what the split is. In the past Nintendo platforms have had a much lower digital adoption rate compared to industry standard but I think the Switch is positioned in such a way that eventually it will follow the other trends we've been seeing. In any case Bomberman R definitely has gained some sales from the promotion they were running on the eShop.

I think Nintendo would but it should pass a million eventually which would be a great sign for the series.

The Giant

Banned

Goemon and Castlevania should be next for Switch.

Top Bottom