• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Obsidian Entertainment and inXile

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah, but I don't buy microsoft hardware and I don't spend hundrets of euros on a digital typewriter either. Fuck me then :messenger_winking:
Thankfully if it all works out Xcloud could be your final saving grace. You could play it on hardware you already own, but we will have to wait for more details on that.

Otherwise it’s only you defeating yourself again, as I suggested above.

Kagey K

Banned
Oh boys, I just wanted to make a lighthearted joke. Guess I'm bad at joking. Calm down everybody.
It’s hard to tell sarcasm nowadays. Sometimes ppl say things you think are jokes and they get offended. Sometimes you think they are serious and they are joking so they get offended.

The line has to be very crystal clear now, it seems. I’ll admit I bit and thought you were serious at first. The digital typewriter line kind of threw me for a sec, but there are people that would say that as a legit argument.

Pity that Obsidian and inXile will now be stuck in the sad loop of producing the same games over and over. Wonder when Torment : Gears Of Warmenara and Obsidian's Forza / Halo RPG will come out.
Guess what,if people actually had bough their games they wouldn't had to sell themself.Its simple,their games flopped and they were in a situation where they got an offer from M$.

Hudo

It's also nice to see that Brian Fargo won't retire afterall. Back when The Bard's Tale IV was released, he said that he would be retiring after the completion of Wasteland 3.
I am also excited for whatever Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are working on. Black Isle are (sort of) back, baby!

Zewp

Good. Maybe now they'll develop actually good games.

inXile specifically has fucked up most of their recent projects. Just look at how terrible the new Bard's Tale is.

KonradLaw

A bit of a shame, as I don't see them making oldschool RPGs anymore. But I'm curious to see what they will be able to pull off with big budgets and there's plenty of studios in the oldschool niche to pick up the slack and without inXile and Obsidian to compete with they will likelly be able to do better.

gioGAF

You kept defending Sony decision on blocking console crossplay too and kept the conversation around why you didn't like Microsoft in those topics too.

Sorry but Microsoft is here to stay. Go cry somewhere else. Sony buys deals all the time and wants full ownership of ip's so don't give me your sad story about Microsoft now ruining your day with these new acquisitions. If you care about these developers you will continue to support them instead of your snti-Microsoft banter. Grow up.
Lol, I won't go cry somewhere else, right here is fine!

Crossplay was a stupid subject and continues to be one. I will reiterate, if MS was in Sony's position, they would NOT have allowed it, unless they also succumbed to the pressure like Sony did.

Everyone wants full ownership, nothing new here. I'm sorry, but I continue to not see results on the 1st party exclusives on the MS side, seems like a lot of wasted resources so far. Lol at MS exclusives, smh.

Carry on with your defense force and your insults, they don't make a difference. MS has been terrible for quite a while, maybe they will get their act together for next gen, but I highly doubt it. These 2 studios are more likely than not, done for good.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hard to comment when we don't know any specifics.

I hope MS acquired these 2 studios with the intent of creating better content, of following the model Sony uses with their stable of studios. If I had to guess, the games will be "Windows" exclusives and I'm okay with that (why would MS buy the studios if they plan on putting their content on rival platforms).

I have very much enjoyed the work of these studios and I hope they are able to prosper. That this move helps them remain afloat and their employees remain employed.

I won't be playing their games from now on, most likely (unless somehow Sony and Nintendo manage to eclipse MS in being scum), and I actually don't think MS can help themselves so they will probably start shoveling out microtransaction-riddled products.

Why have you named your profile gioGAF and not SonyGAF? Your posts are not even transparent by the level of fanboyism you output.

Zewp

Crossplay was a stupid subject and continues to be one. I will reiterate, if MS was in Sony's position, they would NOT have allowed it, unless they also succumbed to the pressure like Sony did.

Everyone wants full ownership, nothing new here. I'm sorry, but I continue to not see results on the 1st party exclusives on the MS side, seems like a lot of wasted resources so far. Lol at MS exclusives, smh.

Carry on with your defense force and your insults, they don't make a difference. MS has been terrible for quite a while, maybe they will get their act together for next gen, but I highly doubt it. These 2 studios are more likely than not, done for good.

Microsoft has turned things around a lot. They might not have good exclusives this gen, but their offering is currently very good. The only thing making Sony's offering good is exclusives. Nothing else they do stands out.

Sony thread's thattaway. No need to shit your diapers in this one

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
That's probably because I love Nintendo as well :messenger_sunglasses:

Makes sense. But your hate towards Microsoft does not.

Microsoft has turned things around a lot. They might not have good exclusives this gen, but their offering is currently very good. The only thing making Sony's offering good is exclusives. Nothing else they do stands out.

Sony thread's thattaway. No need to shit your diapers in this one

Remember before One X release? Where graphics mattered?

Would be hilarious IF Microsoft manages to put the most popular exclusives next gen, can’t wait to hear the next thing that matters most by then.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Not to disrespect to any of those studios. but this is a prime example why the xbox is more and more not a suitable console for me.

None of the games these studios they make interest me. same goes for 3 out of the 5 developers they bought at E3 like the devs behind we happy few... like really ?

they are buying these almost no name developers { at least I don't know them and I have been a gamer for 25 years ) I am not sure what to expect from them next generation either. they will need to hire allot of staff in each dev team in order to produce quality AAA titles ( if they can even manage that ). unless they just want them small like this. and if that is the case then i don't know what is the point of all this.

I was really happy when they bought Ninja theory and playground games. i was hoping for studios from those levels of talent and games behind them.

Also, the genre these developers make are not really something I consider very big or even interested in one bit.

I know this sounds like i am downplaying these developers or what is MS is trying to do. even though honestly its not. I am just finding MS approach to games is different than what i seek from a video game maker .

companies like MS, Sony and Nintendo should be focusing on big AAA games . these games that bring people to buy their consoles because at the end of the day, every console play third party games to one degree or another. its the exclusives of the first party developers that bring these potential gamers to buy the system. MS isn't doing that . unless I am not understanding the whole picture

Bl@de

So much for inXile and Obsidian games on GOG...

Great...

And I don't expect anymore isometric cRPGs after Wasteland 3...

:-(

Kagey K

Banned
So much for inXile and Obsidian games on GOG...

Great...

And I don't expect anymore isometric cRPGs after Wasteland 3...

:-(
What Crpgs did they have coming up? What game did they cancel?

Neither of those happened. So what changed for you?

Bl@de

Nothing yet. But as I said ... I don't expect anything similar after the already announced projects. Curious about the direction they will go now. Maybe good games will come out of it. But I don't believe the "we have full creative freedom" because the games surely will be focused on consoles. And Wasteland 2, Bard's Tale 4, Pillars of Eternity were classic PC RPGs

Kagey K

Banned
Nothing yet. But as I said ... I don't expect anything similar after the already announced projects. Curious about the direction they will go now. Maybe good games will come out of it. But I don't believe the "we have full creative freedom" because the games surely will be focused on consoles. And Wasteland 2, Bard's Tale 4, Pillars of Eternity were classic PC RPGs
What are the games they might have kickstarted next?

You basically wrote it as a eulogy previously. I really want to see what gaming lost.

KonradLaw

That studios that made games of a type he likes won't be making those types of games anymore? That's a valid complaint, since neither of those studios will be making the types of games that made people like them anymore, especially in inXile. Now, they might still end up doing great things and I hope they will, but those will be very different kind of titles. For somebody who specifically loves oldschool RPGs both studios were pretty much erased today.

Bl@de

That studios that made games of a type he likes won't be making those types of games anymore? That's a valid complaint, since neither of those studios will be making the types of games that made people like them anymore, especially in inXile. Now, they might still end up doing great things and I hope they will, but those will be very different kind of titles. For somebody who specifically loves oldschool RPGs both studios were pretty much erased today.

Exactly. And I'm 100% sure those new games won't be on GOG. I have all games of both studios on GOG. Now I expect Micrsoft Store UWP and Xbox exclusivity. I don't like that.

Kagey K

Banned
Says who?

Who says inExile won’t be making the games he loves? Isn’t this a bit presumptuous? Especially since MS seems to be embracing KB/M on Xbox?

Maybe we should wait a bit and see what they do next. Or we can just jump the gun and assume the worst.

KonradLaw

Exactly. And I'm 100% sure those new games won't be on GOG. I have all games of both studios on GOG. Now I expect Micrsoft Store UWP and Xbox exclusivity. I don't like that.
At least they will be SP RPGs. So I can somehow survive UWP exclusivity (altough any hope for advanced modding is gone now). The real tragedy to me would be if they bought any strategy games- focused studios.

KonradLaw

Says who?

Who says inExile won’t be making the games he loves? Isn’t this a bit presumptuous? Especially since MS seems to be embracing KB/M on Xbox?

Maybe we should wait a bit and see what they do next. Or we can just jump the gun and assume the worst.
I say so. And market realities say so. There's no way in hell Microsoft bought those two studios to have them make small isometric pc-focused RPGs. Best case scenario is they will make big budgeted Xbox-centric RPGs that will also release on PC.

Kagey K

Banned
I say so. And market realities say so. There's no way in hell Microsoft bought those two studios to have them make small isometric pc-focused RPGs. Best case scenario is they will make big budgeted Xbox-centric RPGs that will also release on PC.
I guess we will have to wait for an announcement on that. In the meantime they can afford to pay their staff and continue making games. Something they were barely able to do last week.

Zewp

Bard's Tale 4? That would be the one that recently flopped because it was nothing like the CRPG from back in the day?

I'll grant you that Wasteland 2 and Pillars hearkened back to the CRPGs of old, but neither was exactly very good. Wasteland 2 fell very short of what Fallout 1 and 2 was and the writing in Pillars was just meh all around. Considering it's coming to light just how badly PoE2 failed, clearly they didn't capture the spirit of classic PC CRPGs. These studios talked big about bringing back the CRPGs of old, but so far only Larian Studios has managed to deliver.

KonradLaw

I guess we will have to wait for an announcement on that. In the meantime they can afford to pay their staff and continue making games. Something they were barely able to do last week.
I don't have to wait for annoucement to know what's going to happen. But don't get me wrong, I'm not sad about what happened. This is great news for people working in those studios and the industry can sure use more big budgeted RPGs, especially if they manage to combine the structure and freedom of their existing games with big budgeted presentation. And there's plenty of small devs that will be happy to fill the void left by inXile and Obsidian in oldschool PC RPGs category.
All I'm saying is that it's obvious neither studio will continue to make the types of games they did before, so it's not weird some people don't like this news.

Helios

Avellone is another one of those that hasn't done anything really of note since the NV DLCs. You see his name next to half a dozen games but it's always some minor, contained element that leaves no real mark on the overall design and writing of the games. So he gave the writing team some pointers and wrote a companion. Whoppity-fucking-do. When is that guy going back to helming something.
How so? He helped create the base for some great games like Prey.
Obsidian on the other side hasn't done anything of note ever since Avellone left either. There's still great talent at Obsidian but they need better writers.

Kagey K

Banned
I don't have to wait for annoucement to know what's going to happen. But don't get me wrong, I'm not sad about what happened. This is great news for people working in those studios and the industry can sure use more big budgeted RPGs, especially if they manage to combine the structure and freedom of their existing games with big budgeted presentation. And there's plenty of small devs that will be happy to fill the void left by inXile and Obsidian in oldschool PC RPGs category.
All I'm saying is that it's obvious neither studio will continue to make the types of games they did before, so it's not weird some people don't like this news.
So what’s the problem then? Yay for all games.

Doom and gloom is for fun?

You make this deal sound better and better. Give the indies a chance to make it to mid leagues while the mid leagues get moved up to the big boys table.

Everyone wins.

According to you MS was right to acquire them.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

So what’s the problem then? Yay for all games.

Doom and gloom is for fun?

You make this deal sound better and better. Give the indies a chance to make it to mid leagues while the mid leagues get moved up to the big boys table.

Everyone wins.

According to you MS was right to acquire them.
I think it was right move for MS and I don't have the problem with this. But I can see how some people might. THere will be less of games they like, on PC they will be only avaible through the awful Microsoft Store, plus MS has history of killing devs it's purchased that's even worse than EA's one.
So I can't understand how some people don't have positive reaction to this news. Personally I don't mind it, especially since those are experienced PC devs. If MS screws them up for good they won't have much problems starting up a new studio and in the meantime they will get paid well.

xrnzaaas

It's nice that inXile Entertainment still plans to make Wasteland 3, hopefully it won't be a Windows Store exclusive. ;)

Ori is good love the Forza titles, enjoyed Halo Wars but hey if you want to keep up your petty issues and not support the studios because Microsoft took a dump in your corn flakes that's your problem not mine. I enjoy Sony and Nintendo too because I like games. Your so obsessed with the hardware supplier like some anti American it's pathetic.

Next gen is heating up, the trolls are coming out.

Kagey K

Banned
I think it was right move for MS and I don't have the problem with this. But I can see how some people might. THere will be less of games they like, on PC they will be only avaible through the awful Microsoft Store, plus MS has history of killing devs it's purchased that's even worse than EA's one.
So I can't understand how some people don't have positive reaction to this news. Personally I don't mind it, especially since those are experienced PC devs. If MS screws them up for good they won't have much problems starting up a new studio and in the meantime they will get paid well.
So it’s basically they go bankrupt now or go bankrupt later. This seems like an if I can’t play with it nobody can case.

Why would you not be happy your fav dev got a new lease on life?

Kadayi

Banned
As long as whatever they produce comes to PC as well it's all good. Also mayhap we might see Alpha Protocol revisited in some manner, either as a reboot, a sequel or a spiritual successor. An actual RPG espionage game wouldn't go amiss at all.

Dada55000

How so? He helped create the base for some great games like Prey.
Obsidian on the other side hasn't done anything of note ever since Avellone left either. There's still great talent at Obsidian but they need better writers.

Prey falls into the trope I mentioned. Chris wrote some of the sidequests and gave advice to the main writers/designer. Direct involvement is limited to side content and beyond that he was basically just a consultant.

Obsidian did produce a reason to necessitate buyout since the divorce. Here's hoping the Cain/Boyarsky project comes out swimmingly.

gioGAF

I like how I'm basically being shooed out of this thread. I think it is pretty reasonable (given existing patterns) to see the acquisition of Obsidian and inXile by MS as the END of who they currently are and the games they are currently known for.

That is why I chimed in here, because it is sad to see these guys go (especially Obsidian). I get that your point of view is different, but from where I'm standing you have nothing to base that on (other than your intense feelings of love for the X1 platform). I like games as well, you think there are significant contributions from MS, I don't agree. I certainly would feel that I missed out on some real gems if my Switch or PS4 suddenly vanished, can't say I would notice the disappearance of an X1.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ori is good love the Forza titles, enjoyed Halo Wars but hey if you want to keep up your petty issues and not support the studios because Microsoft took a dump in your corn flakes that's your problem not mine. I enjoy Sony and Nintendo too because I like games. Your so obsessed with the hardware supplier like some anti American it's pathetic.

Next gen is heating up, the trolls are coming out.

Not that I disagree with the rest of what you said much (core concept of liking games in general), crossplay is now a defunct topic we spent enough words on, but anti American? Whaaat?!

Skyn3t

Banned
I have eternal respect for Obsidian for Knights of the Old Republic II. It's a shame that Stat Wars gaming licence belongs to EA. Would love to see KotOR III by Obsidian Ent.

Dada55000

So it’s basically they go bankrupt now or go bankrupt later. This seems like an if I can’t play with it nobody can case.

Why would you not be happy your fav dev got a new lease on life?

That's literally not what was written at all. They wrote that they can see why some people would be hesitant about this news, with examples why, while not condemning the purchase.

You turned it into them being mad about it and that they'd prefer the company fold instead. Your response makes no sense.

I like how I'm basically being shooed out of this thread. I think it is pretty reasonable (given existing patterns) to see the acquisition of Obsidian and inXile by MS as the END of who they currently are and the games they are currently known for.

That is why I chimed in here, because it is sad to see these guys go (especially Obsidian). I get that your point of view is different, but from where I'm standing you have nothing to base that on (other than your intense feelings of love for the X1 platform). I like games as well, you think there are significant contributions from MS, I don't agree. I certainly would feel that I missed out on some real gems if my Switch or PS4 suddenly vanished, can't say I would notice the disappearance of an X1.

Your attitude stinks and your bias is getting in the way of how this deal went down. Your ignorance is also blinding you from actually listening. They will continue to makes the games they want to make while keeping their independence.

Do you have anything else to add besides more shit posting and promoting Nintendo and Sony? All you are really saying is that you'd rather these studios continue to face financial hardship or go under than to be under the evil wings of Microsoft. Yes, your can leave now because I would rather listen to the people involved, not somebody who has personal issues. You can't even put your childish issues aside and support the developer by seeing what they come out with first. Fucking pathetic.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Your attitude stinks and your bias is getting in the way of how this deal went down. Your ignorance is also blinding you from actually listening. They will continue to makes the games they want to make while keeping their independence.

Do you have anything else to add besides more shit posting and promoting Nintendo and Sony? All you are really saying is that you'd rather these studios continue to face financial hardship or go under than to be under the evil wings of Microsoft. Yes, your can leave now because I would rather listen to the people involved, not somebody who has personal issues. You can't even put your childish issues aside and support the developer by seeing what they come out with first. Fucking pathetic.

As long as it does not really become shitpostijg and trolling or astroturfing for the “other” side I do have an issue with complaining about fanboys in the thread and at the same time complaining that “people cannot out their doubts aside and support the developer (and be excited for this far it!!!” and “yes, I would prefer to discuss this with people excited about this (and that people who are not excited would leave the thread ina positive echo chamber)”.

Then again, hoping that a studio fails rather than being acquired by MS would be quite sad if it is the real intented message.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Obsidian is Rare0.5 all the talent left years ago.

They won't be closed - they will be turned into single franchise assembly lines making new games as service products every 2-3 years just like all current Microsoft studios.

Alright so, I see alot of people making jokes about how " HUURR DUURRR each MS FP studio only makes one game." So I'm gonna lay it out here and be as clear as possible for the people who literally refuse to understand.

343i- Literally created to continue with creating content within the Halo IP

The Coalition- Literally bought to continue with creating content within the Gears IP

Turn 10- Literally created to make and continue making Forza

Mojang- Literally bought to continue creating content within the Minecraft IP

Rare- Allowed to do whatever they want as of recent

Playground- Allowed to do whatever they want

Ninja Theory - Allowed to do whatever they want

Compulsion - Allowed to do whatever they want

The Initiative - Created to create new IP for XBOX

Undead Labs - Bought with the intent to continue creating State of Decay (they expressed interest in continuing with the IP)

Obsidian - Allowed to do whatever they want

inXile - Allowed to do whatever they want

Mojang, The Coalition, Turn 10, 343 and Undead Labs and I suppose Playground team 1 ALL want to continue creating within their respective franchises. They all have literally expressed this. So having said that, no I don't believe Obsidian and inXile will be forced to continue on making the same thing over and over.

But while we are on the topic, lets look at Sony and their studios shall we?

Four of their studios all literally move from one IP to the next and beat the shit out of it until I assume they run out of ideas. But they aren't forced, are they?

nani17

are in a big trouble
I've been saying it all along MS can't compete with Sony so they're buying up devs teams left and right and they will continue to do this it's the only way.

Next-gen MS will have more exclusives then Xbox-one that for certain. I don't care what others think fancy 4k is one thing or being 12% more powerful is another but exclusives sell systems it always has and will for the remaining future.

120v

not particularly "happy" about this but it's probably best for Obsidian. seemed like they were gearing up for survival mode and putting their crpg days behind them in lieu of more 'commercially appealing' ventures. not that they'll keep cranking out games like PoE and Tyranny under MS but now they should have more leeway in making stuff within their forte

Alright so, I see alot of people making jokes about how " HUURR DUURRR each MS FP studio only makes one game." So I'm gonna lay it out here and be as clear as possible for the people who literally refuse to understand.
Mojang, The Coalition, Turn 10, 343 and Undead Labs and I suppose Playground team 1 ALL want to continue creating within their respective franchises. They all have literally expressed this. So having said that, no I don't believe Obsidian and inXile will be forced to continue on making the same thing over and over.

Thank You for literally proving my point

Studios that actually made games under Microsoft (or as partners)

343i- Literally created to continue with creating content within the Halo IP

The Coalition- Literally bought to continue with creating content within the Gears IP

Turn 10- Literally created to make and continue making Forza

Mojang- Literally bought to continue creating content within the Minecraft IP

Rare- Allowed to do whatever they want as of recent

Playground- Allowed to do whatever they want // that's funny I'm checking wikipedia and it says they created Forza Horizon, Forza Horizon 2, Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Horizon 4

So the only studio on that list with creative freedom is Rare

Everything else on that list haven't even made 2 games under Microsft (in fact 2 of them were bought few days ago) so that sure refutes my point

Top Bottom