• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Obsidian Entertainment and inXile

Thank You for literally proving my point

So the only studio on that list with creative freedom is Rare

Everything else on that list haven't even made 2 games under Microsft (in fact 2 of them were bought few days ago) so that sure refutes my point

I fail to see how that proves your point. You're glossing over the fact these studios where either created or bought for the sole intent to create or to continue to create certain IP. Every big publisher has studios dedicated to creating certain IP. But I guess since is Microsoft it's the worst thing to ever happen.

Playground has been confirmed to be making an open world RPG outside of Horizons. If the intent was for them to continue making only Horizons forever, I don't think that'd be happening.

So Microsoft contracts Obsidian to make Stormlands a few years ago and cancels it, bringing Obsidian to near bankruptcy. Obsidian embraces crowdfunding until that dries up, where Microsoft comes a'knocking once again and they hop right back into their laps.
Absolutely bizarre turn of events, but I genuinely hope for the best for Obsidian, especially considering the recent mismanagement allegations.

As for inXile, I haven't played any of their games to completion but I can tell they put their heart into their games - it's a shame they never really found a real breakout success yet, so this financial security is a good thing. Here's hoping Microsoft doesn't Lionhead them in a few years.

Gavon West

I'm sorry, would it be possible for you to explain away the "negative spin". Please tell me about the successful studios under the MS banner and about their great contributions to the medium. I'm coming up blank, so please enlighten me.

All I can remember is crap like Rise and Halo stuff that is trending downward without Bungie at the helm. What net positives have they introduced? Their idea of an exclusive is usually paying off a talented studio that is working on a game, so instead of releasing on multiple platforms, it releases just on their platform, what I call a net negative for gamers.

It is very hard for me to not be pessimistic about this acquisition. I really like both of these studios and I feel like this pretty much ends them from making the type of games I have enjoyed. Complete products (Pillars of Eternity 1 + 2, Wasteland 2, etc.) are not something MS is interested in.

What is it that MS is doing that is working? Throwing money around? What does their first party line-up consist of? I haven't played a single game on their system that made me say, "Wow, I really need to get one of these!" this entire generation.
Dude, seriously. If you can't see anything positive Microsoft has done just within the last year but, you can see shit reaching as far back as Reach from the 360 years, you need to just sell your shit and stay out of Xbox threads all together. Clearly this shit is bad for your health!

mad597

Banned
“I won’t buy an Xbox One cus it has no exclusives “

*exclusive releases*

“Omg please make it multi platform it would suck to buy an Xbox One because of this”.

Or even better

"I'm a PC gamer and won't touch Windows store cause I want the Steam monopoly to continue, can't be bothered to click on a different store for my games even if they are on my preferred platform"

mad597

Banned
When MS buys game studios their games will be on these platforms

PC - also PC gamepass day one
Xbox - also on gamepass day one
Xbox streaming to any device you have with a screen

When Sony buys studio their games will be on this platform
Playstation

So for gamers choices which is better? If you still choose to huff and puff about not playing any games from studio's MS buys your just being a stupid fanboy. MS gives you many more choices to play their first party games

Helios

Or even better

"I'm a PC gamer and won't touch Windows store cause I want the Steam monopoly to continue, can't be bothered to click on a different store for my games even if they are on my preferred platform"
Or even better
"I generalize about things I know nothing about in order to justify my choice of platforms"

mad597

Banned
I like how I'm basically being shooed out of this thread. I think it is pretty reasonable (given existing patterns) to see the acquisition of Obsidian and inXile by MS as the END of who they currently are and the games they are currently known for.

That is why I chimed in here, because it is sad to see these guys go (especially Obsidian). I get that your point of view is different, but from where I'm standing you have nothing to base that on (other than your intense feelings of love for the X1 platform). I like games as well, you think there are significant contributions from MS, I don't agree. I certainly would feel that I missed out on some real gems if my Switch or PS4 suddenly vanished, can't say I would notice the disappearance of an X1.

Yea shoo, move along

Gavon West

I've been saying it all along MS can't compete with Sony so they're buying up devs teams left and right and they will continue to do this it's the only way.

Next-gen MS will have more exclusives then Xbox-one that for certain. I don't care what others think fancy 4k is one thing or being 12% more powerful is another but exclusives sell systems it always has and will for the remaining future.
I'm confused: do you expect Microsoft to grow devs from test tubes? So many here are just legit blind to what's happening. Its funny to me. Just these two RPG Dev houses alone being exclusive is a big deal for the brand.

Besides that, I think some are now reading the writing on the wall; clearly Microsoft is here to stay. They aren't going anywhere. I reckon that scares some folks around here.

Really hope MS can turn 1 or 2 of all the newly acquired studios in equivalents of Sony‘s Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games. If they manage it‘s going to be hot next gen. Would be awesome for us gamers. Especially for us single player gamers because going forward I doubt any other studio except the console makers will finiance big AAA single player games, let alone for prestige and not necessarily for a lot of margin.

I‘d love Obsidian to make a big RPG like Mass Effect for the next Xbox. Would be so awesome.

Last edited:

mad597

Banned
I've been saying it all along MS can't compete with Sony so they're buying up devs teams left and right and they will continue to do this it's the only way.

Next-gen MS will have more exclusives then Xbox-one that for certain. I don't care what others think fancy 4k is one thing or being 12% more powerful is another but exclusives sell systems it always has and will for the remaining future.

MS have created their own studios this gen and bought studios just like every other platform holder does. The vast majority of Sony's big studios now were purchased before

mad597

Banned
I'm confused: do you expect Microsoft to grow devs from test tubes? So many here are just legit blind to what's happening. Its funny to me. Just these two RPG Dev houses alone being exclusive is a big deal for the brand.

Besides that, I think some are now reading the writing on the wall; clearly Microsoft is here to stay. They aren't going anywhere. I reckon that scares some folks around here.

People seem to ignore the studio MS has created

Turn 10
The Coalition
The initiative

They just want to ignore facts to continue bashing

nani17

are in a big trouble

You're taking my point all wrong I'm saying MS are waking up to the fact they can't compete with Sony in terms of triple-A. They need to buy these companies for next-gen. They want to beat Sony and Nintendo obviously but can't do that with little to no major exclusives that attract buyers.

Also, more games and more competition scares people where are those people they should be embarrassed. One of the main reasons the Xbox one is "far behind" is the exclusives in comparison to sony plus focusing on other things rather than triple-A titles. I've said it here 100 times everytime Sony launches a title like God Of War or Spiderman MS comes out with"Now you can play Red Dead 1 or Blackops on your Xbox One". That's not why anyone buys a 500 dollar system they buy it for new titles and exclusives that the other systems don't have. I know plenty of people that bought a PS4 just to play God of War. One game made them pay 300 or more that's what MS needs to focus on and they will but not this gen.

This gen new Halo gears and Forza will come followed by crackdown and a few other titles but they are gearing up for next gen and i can't wait

Last edited:
Really hope MS can turn 1 or 2 of all the newly acquired studios in equivalents of Sony‘s Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games.

Oh God please no. I want these studios to be different. I want full scale RPGs like they're known for but with better production values. I want Wasteland 3 to be the Heroes of Might and Magic III of our times.

Cranberrys

I can't understand this hate for Microsoft. So Sony has bought studios since the PS1 era and it's fine, it's for the greater good. When Microsoft buys studio it's evil. When Sony pays for an exclusives it's a great move for gamers, when Microsoft buy some exclusives like they did with Rise, they are again evil. What kind of logic is that ?

I'm an Xbox fan since OG, it's my go to console, but when some Sony exclusives eventually interested me, I bought a PlayStation to play them and I didn't felt bad about it. I did that for PS3 to play MGS4, the UC trilogy and TLOU and I did that for PS4 to play UC4, UC LL, UC Collection, TLOU Remastered, The Order and Spidey (I don't give a shit about God Of War but that's not the point). I Don't bitch about Sony or feel cheated because I can't play Spider-Man on my Xbox. If I want to play a PlayStation exclusive game, I play it and that doesn't change the fact that I still prefer Xbox over PlayStation overall.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I think its due to the fact that MS buys companies only for them to die or get dissolved. Not as bad as EA or Activision though.

mad597

Banned
I can't understand this hate for Microsoft. So Sony has bought studios since the PS1 era and it's fine, it's for the greater good. When Microsoft buys studio it's evil. When Sony pays for an exclusives it's a great move for gamers, when Microsoft buy some exclusives like they did with Rise, they are again evil. What kind of logic is that ?

I'm an Xbox fan since OG, it's my go to console, but when some Sony exclusives eventually interested me, I bought a PlayStation to play them and I didn't felt bad about it. I did that for PS3 to play MGS4, the UC trilogy and TLOU and I did that for PS4 to play UC4, UC LL, UC Collection, TLOU Remastered, The Order and Spidey (I don't give a shit about God Of War but that's not the point). I Don't bitch about Sony or feel cheated because I can't play Spider-Man on my Xbox. If I want to play a PlayStation exclusive game, I play it and that doesn't change the fact that I still prefer Xbox over PlayStation overall.

Sony fans want a one console world and feel offended any company dare to encroach on the Sony monopoly Sony fans yearn for.
MS is doubling down on gaming instead of leaving and that pisses off Sony fans

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Really hope MS can turn 1 or 2 of all the newly acquired studios in equivalents of Sony‘s Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games. If they manage it‘s going to be hot next gen. Would be awesome for us gamers. Especially for us single player gamers because going forward I doubt any other studio except the console makers will finiance big AAA single player games, let alone for prestige and not necessarily for a lot of margin.

I‘d love Obsidian to make a big RPG like Mass Effect for the next Xbox. Would be so awesome.

You are going to be disappointed then. These studios were bought to make mid level games for game pass on 2-3 year development schedules. This is MS trying to emulate the Netflix model with original content. The only new studios that will be doing those big AAA games will be the initiative and playgrounds second team. To make gamepass a even better they need a large diverse first party with quick turn around for constant content. They just added 2 rpg studios people who complain about MS ignoring single player games should be jumping for joy. I know i am especially as a gamepass subscriber until end of 2020. Waiting for another sale to max it out to 3 years again.

ph33rknot

Banned
Not to disrespect to any of those studios. but this is a prime example why the xbox is more and more not a suitable console for me.

None of the games these studios they make interest me. same goes for 3 out of the 5 developers they bought at E3 like the devs behind we happy few... like really ?

they are buying these almost no name developers { at least I don't know them and I have been a gamer for 25 years ) I am not sure what to expect from them next generation either. they will need to hire allot of staff in each dev team in order to produce quality AAA titles ( if they can even manage that ). unless they just want them small like this. and if that is the case then i don't know what is the point of all this.

I was really happy when they bought Ninja theory and playground games. i was hoping for studios from those levels of talent and games behind them.

Also, the genre these developers make are not really something I consider very big or even interested in one bit.

I know this sounds like i am downplaying these developers or what is MS is trying to do. even though honestly its not. I am just finding MS approach to games is different than what i seek from a video game maker .

companies like MS, Sony and Nintendo should be focusing on big AAA games . these games that bring people to buy their consoles because at the end of the day, every console play third party games to one degree or another. its the exclusives of the first party developers that bring these potential gamers to buy the system. MS isn't doing that . unless I am not understanding the whole picture
did you start playing in the ps2 generation

quickwhips

Hard to comment when we don't know any specifics.

I hope MS acquired these 2 studios with the intent of creating better content, of following the model Sony uses with their stable of studios. If I had to guess, the games will be "Windows" exclusives and I'm okay with that (why would MS buy the studios if they plan on putting their content on rival platforms).

I have very much enjoyed the work of these studios and I hope they are able to prosper. That this move helps them remain afloat and their employees remain employed.

I won't be playing their games from now on, most likely (unless somehow Sony and Nintendo manage to eclipse MS in being scum), and I actually don't think MS can help themselves so they will probably start shoveling out microtransaction-riddled products.
The fact that the last of us sold guns in multiplayer is way scummier than anything ms does with loot boxes.

lefty1117

Good moves, will be interesting to see what these studios can do with some money behind them, not dealing with angry kickstarter backers.

Havoc2049

Awesome! InXile and Obsidian have made some great WRPGs over the years. It will be nice to see Wasteland 3 get some AAA money. I'm a big fan of inXile and Brian Fargo and loved Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera. I actually just received my deluxe physical copy of Bard's Tale IV last week from the Kickstarter campaign. Looking forward to see what both companies can produce in the coming years.

Cranberrys

I think its due to the fact that MS buys companies only for them to die or get dissolved. Not as bad as EA or Activision though.

Sony closed some studios too : Evolution, Game Republic, Zipper, SCE Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis) and probably some others I Don't remember. It's not specific to Microsoft, it's a common practice and it's sad either way.

Tbone3336

As someone who likes games like Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland type games just as much as games like Red Dead, if not more, and being only a console gamer I am happy with this as I have seen the difficulty these studios have faced financing these types of games over the past 5-6 years. Assuming they allow them to continue with games like Wasteland and Pillars and possibly other new series of RPG's and this assures they get a console release I am happy. It has been shown that PC RPG type games like this can be ported to console and not reduce the PC version experience for those players.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sony has closed just as many 1st party studios.
Anything good?
I think it's due to console warriors being insecure about their plastic toy instead of enjoying the good stuff.
How so?

Sony closed some studios too : Evolution, Game Republic, Zipper, SCE Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis) and probably some others I Don't remember. It's not specific to Microsoft, it's a common practice and it's sad either way.
Game Republic was owned by Sony? Yeah its a shit practice. Most of the times companies just buy up smaller owns to own the IPs either way.

Thank You for literally proving my point

Studios that actually made games under Microsoft (or as partners)

343i- Literally created to continue with creating content within the Halo IP

The Coalition- Literally bought to continue with creating content within the Gears IP

Turn 10- Literally created to make and continue making Forza

Mojang- Literally bought to continue creating content within the Minecraft IP

Rare- Allowed to do whatever they want as of recent

Playground- Allowed to do whatever they want // that's funny I'm checking wikipedia and it says they created Forza Horizon, Forza Horizon 2, Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Horizon 4

So the only studio on that list with creative freedom is Rare

Everything else on that list haven't even made 2 games under Microsft (in fact 2 of them were bought few days ago) so that sure refutes my point

One of the best studios out there, Naughty Dog, is making the same games from last gen. They will have created only 2 titles this entire generation and both are carry overs.

So yes, thanks for proving everyone point that new IPs are rare all around. Microsoft has acquired these studios to help diversify their studios so why don't we wait and see what progresses instead of the same nonsense from the same people who will conveniently say they won't be interested in their new titles.

Gavon West

Sony fans want a one console world and feel offended any company dare to encroach on the Sony monopoly Sony fans yearn for.
MS is doubling down on gaming instead of leaving and that pisses off Sony fans
This, SOOOOoooo fucking much! These new acquisitions along with Crackdown 3 being what was advertised has Sony fans shook. It's a clear sign that Microsoft isnt getting out of the gaming business. They're here to stay.

KonradLaw

Oh God please no. I want these studios to be different. I want full scale RPGs like they're known for but with better production values. I want Wasteland 3 to be the Heroes of Might and Magic III of our times.
Ninja Theory acquisition is pretty much MS wanting their own Naughty Dog/Santa Monica.
With inXile and Obsidian I expect them to make big budgeted exclusive RPGs.

So Microsoft contracts Obsidian to make Stormlands a few years ago and cancels it, bringing Obsidian to near bankruptcy. Obsidian embraces crowdfunding until that dries up, where Microsoft comes a'knocking once again and they hop right back into their laps.
Absolutely bizarre turn of events, but I genuinely hope for the best for Obsidian, especially considering the recent mismanagement allegations.

As for inXile, I haven't played any of their games to completion but I can tell they put their heart into their games - it's a shame they never really found a real breakout success yet, so this financial security is a good thing. Here's hoping Microsoft doesn't Lionhead them in a few years.
If I recall correctly, the cancellation was because of that asshole CEO (the guy that Avellone hates) did something. Don't recall what it was though.

quest

Not Banned from OT
No reason to think otherwise, yep!
Except what MS keeps saying i swear people ignore so they can bitch when the games are revealed. These are not meant in any way to complete with Sonys top guns. Thry will not be making huge budget games that take 5 years to develop. These studios will make mid level games for gamepass catalog diversity period. Want big budget that woul be playgrounds second team or the initiative.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm actually quite optimistic about this (and I'm a PC Gamer). I thought Brian Fargo's video that Strife In a Teacup Strife In a Teacup posted was on point. These guys aren't heavyweight AAA developers and so up to now they've always had to strike a cautious balance between their creative ambitions and what can actually be achieved because at the end of the day they've still got to ensure they can keep the lights on and we all know how precarious AA development can be as witnessed by what recently happened to Telltale. With Microsoft support, not only do they not have to worry about the day to day when it comes to paying the bills, but it also opens them up to a vast resource in terms of technology and knowledge, allowing them to concentrate their efforts on making a product the best that it can be.

Gavon West

Except what MS keeps saying i swear people ignore so they can bitch when the games are revealed. These are not meant in any way to complete with Sonys top guns. Thry will not be making huge budget games that take 5 years to develop. These studios will make mid level games for gamepass catalog diversity period. Want big budget that woul be playgrounds second team or the initiative.
Except Microsoft purchased also purchased other studios to grow the teams that are already established there so they can indeed create AAA games as well. What you say is true, but not only the teams you've mentioned. InXile could very well be a mid tier level team to produce AA budget games. Obsidian could very well end up creating AAA budget RPG's -- why not when you have such a talented development house that could potentially create a big budget RPG aside from PGG? Obsidian is genre specific and they have the experience.

And I 100% agree that none of these studios are trying to compete with Sony's output. They would be a trainwreck...

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Microsoft is the old white man of the gaming industry.

KonradLaw

MS can easily just fund 3rd parties for gamepass. they don't need to buy studios for it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've never bought an Xbox console, but I LOVE what MS is doing lately with these acquisitions. They are clearly sharpening their blade for next-gen. Gotta keep Sony honest and on their toes and no better way to do it than having great 1st party content.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Good acquisitions, if you are upset just buy a pc and play their games on it. Or you can buy an xbox. Being a console warrior in 2018 is childish (its always been childish).

Top Bottom