• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

He's an industry journalist, yet he isn't doing any journalism. This is now a pretty big story and all he has to say is "So what? Buy the other one"...not only is that a bitter response, it downplays the importance of the story, and the importance of gamers opinions who are the ones who read his shitty site.

Seriously. I don't know how else to interpret that "so what?" other than him saying we all just need to move along.

DaBoss

It is kind of crazy how headlines went from "MS Studio's Creative Director says 'he doesn't get Always Online Drama'" to "Next Xbox has always online DRM".

Dead Man

His posting background is what the shill for MS comes from. Him saying 'don't like it don't buy it' is basically saying 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'.

Indeed. Again, it is not one tweet. It is his history of being dismissive of any discusssion he doesn't like.

jaypah

I agree he's made it clear he's anti-always on. It's the "then really, so what?" part that irks me because I interpret that as him basically telling us to shut up about it and move on. Being told to stop discussing what we're discussing is annoying.

Oh. Ok, you took the "so what" to mean "stop discussing it?. I took it to mean "it's not the end of the world" and then saying to buy the competitor. I suppose it all boils down to how you interpret it. It's all good, in the grand scheme of everything going on right now his tweet is a drop in the bucket. That list of sites reporting on this is just growing and growing and growing. I wonder how big this would have to get before MS is forced to say something?

FStop7

Banned
Has MS responded to this clusterfuck yet?

How do they even start? They're kind of stuck having to comment on a strategy for a product they haven't even announced yet.

The most they can probably say is that they don't comment on unannounced products and that Adam Orth speaks only for himself and not Microsoft.

And then, behind closed doors, they are going to give Adam a serious spanking.

nib95

Banned
He's an industry journalist, yet he isn't doing any journalism. This is now a pretty big story and all he has to say is "So what? Buy the other one"...not only is that a bitter response, it downplays the importance of the story, and the importance of gamers opinions who are the ones who read his shitty site.

Pretty much this. It is a childish summary of an otherwise hugely important aspect of console gaming that people care deeply about.

atomsk

Party Pooper
>post on page 4
>come back online to see the thread on page 59

OaQX10a.jpg

Dreaver

You know, I actually don't care if the Next Xbox has always online, this thread and all the e-drama was so worth it, I wouldn't be surprised if the shitstorm is getting bigger.

His posting background is what the shill for MS comes from. Him saying 'don't like it don't buy it' is basically saying 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'.

And this thread isn't about Gies, so you're bandwagoning is completely off topic.

There are plenty of threads on GAF that remind us why Gies is a tool, go post in those instead.

If that is all he meant, then he is "merely" completely tone-deaf. What he seems to be saying here is "why would you get your underwear in a twist over the Xbox when you can buy a PS4?"

Well, maybeeee you--

-owned a 360 for years and really like the Live ecosystem
-Enjoyed 360 exclusives this gen
-Have a shitload of XBLA games you would like to carry over to the next console
etc.

You can have an investment in Microsoft console games and be inclined to purchase their next console and be frustrated that they may be cutting themselves off at the knees like this. So yes, you can "just buy" a PS4, except that wasn't really your optimal choice in the first place.

I feel like this is self-evident.

I'm sorry, explain to me what you would be losing? The promise of future unannouced games that may or may not be what you want? From your own description MS has provided you years of enjoyment with the 360 and what you are angry about is that someone may be doing that better next year?

Frustration is a sad excuse to justify personal attacks on someone(especially some of the more explicit ones) who is paid to give his opinion over nothing more than video games.

It is kind of crazy how headlines went from "MS Studio's Creative Director says 'he doesn't get Always Online Drama'" to "Next Xbox has always online DRM".

Fascinating isn't it?

Worse part is that MS literally did NOTHING to squash the rumors even before yesterday and now they're reaping what they've sowed.

There was a (slim, yes) chance they could've announced always-online in a relatively painless manner, but with this guys jackass comments, any chance of that has been shot straight to hell and back.

Nokterian

I'll go ahead and throw my internet situation onto the pile.

I have HughesNet, which for those of you who don't know, is basically broadband delivered via satellite.

We recently upgraded our equipment and plan (at the cost of hundreds of dollars and a new 2-year contract), and here's what we have now:

- Monthly Data Cap of 10 GB. This amounts to about 300 MB per day. The allowance drains with every click and stream, and resets at the beginning of every month.

- Max download speeds of 15 Mbps. Tested myself and have found the average to be between 6-9 Mbps.

- Frequent connection losses due to the unstable nature of satellite technology in a rural area with many obstructions (weather, landscape, etc.)

We pay $65 per month for this. Just before we upgraded, we were paying the same thing for MAX SPEEDS OF 1 MBPS AND DAILY CAPS OF 250 MB.

This, and services that are literally identical, are our only options. The connections are not conducive to games consoles. They are slow, inconsistent, and restricted in terms of bandwidth.

How goddamn hard is it for people to realize that there are hundreds of thousands of people in similar situations. This is the reality of our world. Not everyone is always connected.

People. Come on.

Man that is horrible to have that in this day and age. If you have lived in the netherlands or another country where there are no data limits. I mean i pay 45 euro's a month for 50mbit and 5mb upload with unlimited download/upload.

What is the story exactly? An ass employee on twitter? Or should they right opinion pieces on rumors? Rumors that they haven't reported on for any console manufacturer.

Keep wearing those blinders.

Some people really don't know how to add up, or simply don't want to.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't think the vast majority of Xbox owners know or understand what DRM is suppose to be. It's not gonna effect the next Xbox as much as you guys think.

You are stupid if you don't think people don't know what SimShitty's fiasco did. That made news in some of the major papers. Simply point people to that and tell them "this will be like that if MS's servers die or your internet craps out" and they will care because it will effect them.

And this thread isn't about Gies, so you're bandwagoning is completely off topic.

There are plenty of threads on GAF that remind us why Gies is a tool, go post in those instead.

No thanks, I think we'll just keep discussing his response to the thread topic in this thread.

Hero

How come there's STILL no-one at the Polygon offices who is able to walk to Gies' desk and tell him to stop embarrassing the entire website.

Seriously, his continuous childish twitter fights are single-handedly dragging Polygon down.

This. Gies is such a dumb asshole that even though there are other writers at Polygon I will never visit that website because I cannot believe people pay this fucking moron for his opinion.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
He's also implying all this outrage is pointless, we should just shutup and buy the other alternative. Why let shit like this happen in the first place though?

What do you mean with 'let shit like this happen'? Who on this board made the possible decision that we don't even know is accurate? If a company decides to go in another direction, people can complain all they want, but ultimately deciding not to spend money on the offering is the best way to show your displeasure.

Also this Arthur backlash is a bit over the top. He put on twitter what people on this board have been saying sense these "always online" rumors started.

It would be classic if the always online stuff isn't even true.

I just think it's amazing. His twitter posts he might call trolling, but those were the posts of someone who was tired of hearing something be criticized when he knows his job is going to depend on it in the future. This was a wild defense of something he surely knows is going to be a battlefield in the the next generation. Call it "trolling" if he likes, but I think the smoke is starting to be a damn good indication of a fucking fire.
I think a fair and very educated guess right now would be to assume that always online is definitely in. Now whether or not it stays in by the time the console is revealed after all of this....that will tell us a lot.

DaBoss

Fascinating isn't it?

Worse part is that MS literally did NOTHING to squash the rumors even before yesterday and now they're reaping what they've sowed.

There was a (slim, yes) chance they could've announced always-online in a relatively painless manner, but with this guys jackass comments, any chance of that has been shot straight to hell and back.

If they delayed it to the announcement, it would have been FAR worse. Their whole thing would have been overshadowed by this.

neoism

Thanks to Adam for saving me 400+ us dollars... I was about 99% sure I was not going to go down M$ hole again... After 5 fucking xboxs and 6 years and paying for live for 2 people... they have got enough money from me... This has just uped it to 110% fuck this company... they make shitty hardware.. and I've only been a fan because of one series that is total shit now...(halo)

So being on Destiny on Ps4 Bungie <3 I will never look back
Pc and Ps4 is all I'll need.

hirokazu

Yeah, some of you are probably more emotionally enraged about everyone involved than you should be. I'm not sure the dude deserves to be fired or whatever. But it sure is fun to follow!

scitek

It's his Twitter account, though.

I warned you not to delay your announcement MS, goddamnit I gave you a chance. You left me no choice :(

:p

Dude, I kind of envy you....

You may have single-handedly brought MS's next gen plans to a halt....or at the very least made them look like complete shitheads in the eyes of the gaming public.

Why are people here attacking this Gies guy as well. Saying that he's paid by Microsoft (?) That doesn't make any sense. You can't have it both ways.
Or are there some people here who think that GAF has real industry clout. Enough to stop a huge business decision like this from being made?

What he is saying is that Microsoft are stupid to release an always online console, and there are alternatives available. He's against the decision and is phrasing his words humorously against Microsoft's decision by mocking them with their own words.

If the argument is that you've supported Microsoft from day 1, want an xbox3, but this is putting you off, then you really do have to deal with it.
Much in the same way you have to deal with any new product that comes out -- by making an informed choice.

You can't bring reason into this forum. It is quickly drowned out with people who have made up their mind to rage instead of taking a moment to think.

JeTmAn81

I think that with all of this Arthur Gies discussion we are losing track of the most important part in all this...

"Sweet Billy".

Seriously has me cracking up right now. It is such a simple, basic nickname that it comes across as almost perverse.

The most important thing is to find out the origin of this appellation. I mean, his name's not even William.

watership

Wait a sec.

That's his personal twitter account and he can say anything he wants on it. He's not speaking for Polygon and If you want him to treat the story with respect and insight, read something official from Polygon itself.

That's an important distinction about people's personal twitter accounts. Even Major Nelson, who's account was set up as a voice for Microsoft live, still say shit that's not remotely Microsoft focused all the time. The interesting thing is that Adam Orth spoke to rumours about the new xbox and because he works for MS, and major shit happened. But anything that comes form twitter that's not official PR stuff is suspect to me and to be taken as a single persons perspective.

This shit is getting out of hand.

VariantX

I don't think the vast majority of Xbox owners know or understand what DRM is suppose to be. It's not gonna effect the next Xbox as much as you guys think.

They're going to eventually start asking questions once stories and rumors like this keep getting out there.

nib95

Banned
I asked this in the other thread but how do MS market this?

Always online, update without you saying anything, gather news, Facebook posts, twitter etc whilst you're away etc etc. Gimmicky stuff that it should be able to do when you sign on, and stuff you don't need to just play a game.

In any case, I'm still hoping they change their mind.

Road

Didn't see any site from Brazil on the list, so here's one.=P

Outerspace: Diretor da Microsoft defende exigência da conexão à internet no Xbox

Top Bottom