• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Hoo-doo

Banned
How come there's STILL no-one at the Polygon offices who is able to walk to Gies' desk and tell him to stop embarrassing the entire website.

Seriously, his continuous childish twitter fights are single-handedly dragging Polygon down.

WHAT? He is telling you to buy a PS4 if the next Xbox is online. By not buying the next Xbox you wouldn't be "dealing with it" you would be actively taking a stand.

I really don't understand the hate for Aegies. He has done nothing but quote his opinion and attempt to give information on the next Xbox (which by his own admittance knew more about than the next PS4) to consumers (us).

This is just ridiculous blind hate. You are the very definition of what it means to be a moving goal post.

If that is all he meant, then he is "merely" completely tone-deaf. What he seems to be saying here is "why would you get your underwear in a twist over the Xbox when you can buy a PS4?"

Well, maybeeee you--

-owned a 360 for years and really like the Live ecosystem
-Enjoyed 360 exclusives this gen
-Have a shitload of XBLA games you would like to carry over to the next console
etc.

You can have an investment in Microsoft console games and be inclined to purchase their next console and be frustrated that they may be cutting themselves off at the knees like this. So yes, you can "just buy" a PS4, except that wasn't really your optimal choice in the first place.

I feel like this is self-evident.

jbug617

Banned
How come there's STILL no-one at the Polygon offices who is able to walk to Gies' desk and tell him to stop embarrassing the entire website.

Seriously, his continuous hildish twitter fights are single-handedly dragging Polygon down.

I'm confused on what he did wrong now.

DAT WIIU AT THE END.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

. amazing

Seriously, his continuous hildish twitter fights are single-handedly dragging Polygon down.

The rest are sadly also too busy getting angry on twitter and defending everything from their site.

Game Guru

But Sony isn't going to stop publishers if they want to have online-only either.

Neither MS nor Sony stop them from being online-only right now, either. Remember that some games come with online passes to unlock online content, so theoretically, a publisher could put the entire game behind one and not sell an online pass to unlock the game. Boom, instant CD Key.

Besides, it is better for publishers and developers to have the choice to use always online DRM than to have them forced to use it. Even if I don't agree with always online DRM, you can't say that having the choice to utilize or not utilize it is bad.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This public outlash may cause MS to rethink their apporach me thinks. Since this is a software issue, they may easily fix this due to the negative reaction.

I'm honestly having trouble understanding how some of you are interpreting Author's tweet. It seems anti always-on to the point where he tells you to buy the competitors system.

I agree he's made it clear he's anti-always on. It's the "then really, so what?" part that irks me because I interpret that as him basically telling us to shut up about it and move on. Being told to stop discussing what we're discussing is annoying.

watership

is there a more detestable person on this earth than arthur gies

Man, the hate for this guy is strong. All this energy spent on someone you don't like really confuses me. Don't read his tweets if you guys don't like him. I remember him on RebelFM when it first started and I thought he was a jerk to poor Anthony. :p He writes pretty well though.

trmas

Banned
Are people really going to care when it only cost $199? That will of course be subsidized with a 3 year subscription to Live but come on...

People will buy the damn thing regardless of DRM, online, no used games or anything else when it is sitting next to a $399 PS3. MS will win the generation going away, because people in general are too stupid to see anything but the bottom line.

tassletine

Why are people here attacking this Gies guy as well. Saying that he's paid by Microsoft (?) That doesn't make any sense. You can't have it both ways.
Or are there some people here who think that GAF has real industry clout. Enough to stop a huge business decision like this from being made?

What he is saying is that Microsoft are stupid to release an always online console, and there are alternatives available. He's against the decision and is phrasing his words humorously against Microsoft's decision by mocking them with their own words.

If the argument is that you've supported Microsoft from day 1, want an xbox3, but this is putting you off, then you really do have to deal with it.
Much in the same way you have to deal with any new product that comes out -- by making an informed choice.

Neither MS nor Sony stop them from being online-only right now, either. Remember that some games come with online passes to unlock online content, so theoretically, a publisher could put the entire game behind one and not sell an online pass to unlock the game. Boom, instant CD Key.

Theoretically, yes. Would MS and Sony certify the game? Probably not. Certainly not unless they knew for sure that the other was going to certify it.

ramb0211

Banned
Wow. A guy telling people to buy a Playstation is a shill for Microsoft. I always knew you were crazy GAF, but this takes the cake. Nowhere did gies say not to discuss this stuff. Stop trying so hard.

This public outlash may cause MS to rethink their apporach me thinks. Since this is a software issue, they may easily fix this due to the negative reaction.

If this is true, I don't know how they can be seeing the response the idea of it has had the last month or two and not decide they'd better come up with some sort of offline option.

npm0925

Microsoft will need a megaton on the scale of a $199 pricepoint or the acquisition of a big first party if these reports of inferior hardware, lack of indie collaboration, always-on, and no used games are true.

stktt

Banned
I'll go ahead and throw my internet situation onto the pile.

I have HughesNet, which for those of you who don't know, is basically broadband delivered via satellite.

We recently upgraded our equipment and plan (at the cost of hundreds of dollars and a new 2-year contract), and here's what we have now:

- Monthly Data Cap of 10 GB. This amounts to about 300 MB per day. The allowance drains with every click and stream, and resets at the beginning of every month.

- Max download speeds of 15 Mbps. Tested myself and have found the average to be between 6-9 Mbps.

- Frequent connection losses due to the unstable nature of satellite technology in a rural area with many obstructions (weather, landscape, etc.)

We pay $65 per month for this. Just before we upgraded, we were paying the same thing for MAX SPEEDS OF 1 MBPS AND DAILY CAPS OF 250 MB.

This, and services that are literally identical, are our only options. The connections are not conducive to games consoles. They are slow, inconsistent, and restricted in terms of bandwidth.

How goddamn hard is it for people to realize that there are hundreds of thousands of people in similar situations. This is the reality of our world. Not everyone is always connected.

People. Come on.

I had HughesNet for years. It's a fate no one should have to suffer.

I'm honestly having trouble understanding how some of you are interpreting Author's tweet. It seems anti always-on to the point where he tells you to buy the competitors system.

I think it's the typical Gies tone that sets people off, he has a history of telling people not to criticize anything unless they can do it themselves ("make sim city yourself if you think it can be done offline!"), which is rather funny considering he is a fucking game critic.

I think that with all of this Arthur Gies discussion we are losing track of the most important part in all this...

"Sweet Billy".

Seriously has me cracking up right now. It is such a simple, basic nickname that it comes across as almost perverse.

PJV3

I just wont give my money to a company that makes me jump through hoops to use the thing I paid for

You take my money
I take your product, end of trade.

Maybe my cash should come with stupid conditions attached.

watership

Wow. A guy telling people to buy a Playstation is a shill for Microsoft. I always knew you were crazy GAF, but this takes the cake. Nowhere did gies say not to discuss this stuff. Stop trying so hard.

Stop going against the hive mind. Now post something with "Goodbye Xbox" before you know any official details!

He's an industry journalist, yet he isn't doing any journalism. This is now a pretty big story and all he has to say is "So what? Buy the other one"...not only is that a bitter response, it downplays the importance of the story, and the importance of gamers opinions who are the ones who read his shitty site.

BeerSnob

He's try to quell the debate and marginalize the offense people are taking. He is in essence saying to a lot of people that their feelings and opinions are not valid. Which is a really quick way to upset folks.

His posting background is what the shill for MS comes from. Him saying 'don't like it don't buy it' is basically saying 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'.

Omega

Banned
I actually didnt even mind the always online requirement but since they want to act like 12 year olds about it, I won't even take the console for free

When EAware is the one using logic, you are making a huge mistake

trmas

Banned
I just wont give my money to a company that makes me jump through hoops to use the thing I paid for

You take my money
I take your product, end of trade.

So you don't have a mobile phone then?

cjcool804

Banned
He's an industry journalist, yet he isn't doing any journalism. This is now a pretty big story and all he has to say is "So what? Buy the other one"...not only is that a bitter response, it downplays the importance of the story, and the importance of gamers opinions who are the ones who read his shitty site.

What is the story exactly? An ass employee on twitter? Or should they right opinion pieces on rumors? Rumors that they haven't reported on for any console manufacturer.

I think it's the typical Gies tone that sets people off, he has a history of telling people not to criticize anything unless they can do it themselves ("make sim city yourself if you think it can be done offline!"), which is rather funny considering he is a fucking game critic.

I find him very patronising to be honest, I would gladly apologise if I took his personality the wrong way

Top Bottom