• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://devswearingthegdcfedora.tumb.../adam-orth-blog-creator-creative-director#_=_

ylD4Plj.jpg

on the left

Oh he made that blog lol. I think someone said that earlier

Vire

This guy is a fucking genius. Like there haven't been a ton of us saying that that's exactly what we'll do. If he's attempting to tell us to stop discussing it on a message board, he can go fuck himself. If I want to discuss what shape and color I want Durango to be, I'll do it all day fucking long. Thanks, though.
The irony is that it's a game critic telling us to stop criticizing.

I love this guy.

What are major third-parties going to do if Microsoft did that? Sony and Nintendo are not going with always online for their systems. There is no other choice where publishers can get always online as far as consoles are concerned.

But Sony isn't going to stop publishers if they want to have online-only either.

aurahack

Neo Member
it's the way he wrote it. Was "so what?" necessary? No! Guy is pretentious and annoying.
He will buy nextbox no matter what. While the rest of us "special kids" can go and buy That other system...for special outdated people...

Now you're putting words into just about every mouth possible.

'So what' means 'stop being so internet-angry over it'. The less you talk about them, the better. Good buzz or bad buzz, if you don't support them, you want them to have neither. If literally no one gives a shit and buys the PS4 instead, Microsoft is crippled far faster than if everyone keeps talking shit about it and ends up selling systems because of curiosity through word of mouth.

"I liked the 360, surely this can't be that bad." is way better for them than "Dude there's no hype for this system at all and everyone is fawning over the PS4."

Yeah, I think people are kind of misreading what he means there. He's not an arrogant idiot-- he's just saying vote with your wallet. Don't like what Microsoft has planned for you? Support the other guy. That hurts them infinitely more than vulgar words on the internet will.

Can't disagree with that message, problem is he is being his usual condescending self, basically telling people to stop criticizing MS. Oh and he most certainly is very arrogant, look at his sim city debate...

My thinking is additional ad revenue from targeted ads based upon what you use your xbox for, maybe processing for the kinect (like google now?), can't think of any other reasons tbh

The single biggest reason is more potential revenue from in-game ads, and in-game microtransactions/DLC, or related media transactions. Anti-Piracy is a side benefit.

moai

I'm about as pro-Sony as they come... but REALLY? You can't at least wait until the system is unveiled and the details are official?

that's the thing, the proximity of console launches and the heating up of "conzole warz" has really made difficult to filter posts made by people who are really disappointed at Ms because of this bad rumors from the ones that never intended to buy a Ms console.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm about as pro-Sony as they come... but REALLY? You can't at least wait until the system is unveiled and the details are official?

It isn't even about the system at this point, I am just bothered by their philosophies behind always online. It could be the better game and have the better library and the PS4 could be a disaster but I would rather just not own a product that is made by people who insist on practices like always online.

hirokazu

<NeoGAF posters> If the next Xbox uses online-only DRM, I won't buy it! I'll buy a PS4.
<Arthur Gies> STFU, god you gaming consumers are annoying! If the next Xbox uses online-only DRM, don't buy it. Buy a PS4. You don't hear me complaining so stop fucking complaining about it already!
<NeoGAF posters> What a condescending jackass.
Fixed

Dead Man

Now you're putting words into just about every mouth possible.

'So what' means 'stop being so internet-angry over it'. The less you talk about them, the better. Good buzz or bad buzz, if you don't support them, you want them to have neither. If literally no one gives a shit and buys the PS4 instead, Microsoft is crippled far faster than if everyone keeps talking shit about it and ends up selling systems because of curiosity through word of mouth.

"I liked the 360, surely this can't be that bad." is way better for them than "Dude there's no hype for this system at all and everyone is fawning over the PS4."

Just don't talk about it? Better get of the internet then.

Ploid 3.0

Jaffe 1

Jaffe 2

Jaffe 3

I find this to be really interesting as well. It's like...what's going on? Who can we trust?!

Ok now I'm feeling sorry for him. I trust Jaffe. I hope it's not online only, and I'm sure he was just messing around with the vacuum cleaner analogies, and wanting online only in everything (bad idea to joke about that if MS is actually doing that. So maybe MS isn't doing it!).

Slaker117

I'm honestly having trouble understanding how some of you are interpreting Author's tweet. It seems anti always-on to the point where he tells you to buy the competitors system.

Czigga

Why should we keep quite about an issue that negatively affects everyone? Can you please stop beanpoling everything Microsoft, Arthur?

But he put 'stupidly' in parentheses! He's actually on our side! He's just too mature to make a big deal about it. He's so above it all. I wish we all shared Gies' unique perspective of the situation.

Dead Man

Correct, I know nothing about him. Just suprised at the hate in some posts here. See post above mine for example, lol.

It's not just one tweet that has people being dismissive of him. He has a long and documented history of mocking people for having discussion if he doesn't think it is worth talking about.

get of your defense horse instead...

Resorting to a variation of the stock 'defence force' response is poor form. I'm not defending him, far from it. I'm pointing out that you're attributing meaning where there is none and going by the nature if your posts, I assumed you were emotional and thus allowed your emotions to get the better of you.

jaypah

So Arthur said the idea of mandatory online was stupid and if you didn't like it then go PS4? Why is that cause for rage? Sounds like what a lot of us are saying.

slider

I'm surprised he can even tweet while slurping away at that throbbing corporate cock.

Despite some of the funny*, insightful* and well thought out* posts in this thread this is the one that got the strongest reaction from me. It made me laugh and I'm ashamed.

*Not saying your post wasn't any of those things.

spirity

I've got up to the part where
wario took a screencap of the guys twitter page. Aound page 20.
How much left till the end?

I only thing I've learned here is that some people say 'right up thier valley' instead of 'alley' and you know what, I fucking LIKE IT!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit at this thread, it never slowed down.

Did anything important happen after Aaron Greenberg's comment on not knowing the guy?

Meh, no such thing as bad press. Again, there's nothing to get ahead of, as nothing whatsoever has been confirmed.

This is so very wrong. If you're a completely unknown company, artist or whatever bad press might be better than none, but bad press for a company like MS is not good.

Top Bottom