• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

So I finally decide to click on this thread and read the OP... oh my

What are the chances Microsoft will change their stance on this and cancel the always on requirement before the reveal due to the apparently widespread backlash?

Considering CliffyB doesn't have a job, I would think he would post a lot more than he does considering how much he posts in twitter.
I bet he has an alt account with a TON of posts.

Didn't mean to. It's just that protecting your tweets after the fact is like trying to suck a fart back in your ass after you've already cropdusted the entire bar.

mcBnvdF.gif

Roto13

Considering CliffyB doesn't have a job, I would think he would post a lot more than he does considering how much he posts in twitter.
I bet he has an alt account with a TON of posts.

He's secretly shinobi602. He got Adam Orth fired so he could steal his job.

All according to keikaku.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
The guy who did the tweets, Adam Orth, apparently would demand being called sweet billy

That was also his username on here

I've worked with Adam. He never demanded (or suggested) he be called 'sweet billy' - at least in the 5+ years I've known him.

Almost sure that someone already said this, but even if we was only "trolling" a friend, this was already done, so he needs to deal with it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Didn't mean to. It's just that protecting your tweets after the fact is like trying to suck a fart back in your ass after you've already cropdusted the entire bar.

I'm laughing so hard at the Meme and Cliffy's post that I have tears right now!

Quit crop dusting this forum!

That's probably the best analogy so far on this thread about the tweets.

Lol so hard right now.

Revven

Almost sure that someone already said this, but even if we was only "trolling" a friend, this was already done, so he needs to deal with it.

The fact is, not everything he posted on twitter was directed at his friend. The only parts directed at his friend were the parts about the cities and the deal with it comment. Everything else, to my recollection, did not have the @ManveerHeir labeled on it and was practically sent out towards his twitter followers & the world. Heir jumped in on him after some of the starter comments he made about always-online (or, online only).

Ding-Ding

Yeah, I think people are using him as a scapegoat to shit on Microsofts always online rumor. He doesn't deserve this much hatred. Hopefully people have read @ManveerHeir's tweets about the guy.

I cant see how anyone could class him as a scapegoat when no one forced him to tweet what he did.

What pissed off gamers was the crappy attitude that came with them tweets and lets face it, there seems to be alot of devs/pubs that seem to think they can get away with that kind of attitude.

If he is fired, its because he probably broke an NDA and his employment contracts "code of conduct". If he had the discussion without being a twat, he would have still been fired, but the pisstake by gamers wouldn't have happened

Yeah, I think people are using him as a scapegoat to shit on Microsofts always online rumor. He doesn't deserve this much hatred. Hopefully people have read @ManveerHeir's tweets about the guy.

yes, he has been somewhat scapegoated, & the real villain is the 'rumored' policy, not him. but his feeble, completely unsolicited attempts at somehow 'justifying' the policy really did make him look like something of a loud-mouthed corporate tool. which isn't the kind of thing that makes someone 'likable', exactly :) ...

Honestly, who here hasn't heard about someone, somewhere, getting fired from their job for Facebook or Twitter posts? In this day and age, what person in the technology (or, video game, whatever) industry doesn't think clearly before making a publicly available post on their social network of choice?

Dumb decision. Not sure he deserves to lose his job, but clearly, his judgment isn't as good as it should be.

Anton668

The fact is, not everything he posted on twitter was directed at his friend. The only parts directed at his friend were the parts about the cities and the deal with it comment.

was it even the "dealwith it" tweet? i thought it was just the city comment that was directed at anyone. Looked like the "Dealwith it" one was just a general tweet in which Manveer replied to

Someone apparently murdered their girlfriend with an Xbox 360. Unfortunately, it's not a joke.

was it even the "dealwith it" tweet? i thought it was just the city comment that was directed at anyone. Looked like the "Dealwith it" one was just a general tweet in which Manveer replied to
And the bad analogies and all.

Reiko

Banned
Honestly, who here hasn't heard about someone, somewhere, getting fired from their job for Facebook or Twitter posts? In this day and age, what person in the technology (or, video game, whatever) industry doesn't think clearly before making a publicly available post on their social network of choice?

Dumb decision. Not sure he deserves to lose his job, but clearly, his judgment isn't as good as it should be.

Or this thread should be a valuable lesson...

Unless you know how to handle yourself on Twitter like these guys...

100406kamiya0ispt.jpg

cliffy-b-talks-mass-eg2s0t.jpg

Shut your fucking mouth until your superiors tells you otherwise.

Killbot 2600

Neo Member
So how susceptible would an always online console be to ddos'ing? I do the mental math and I get the following:

Big Corporation+DRM+Cameras/Mics always connected+Console always online= Anonymous trying to poop in xbox's apple pie on day one.

The fact is, not everything he posted on twitter was directed at his friend. The only parts directed at his friend were the parts about the cities and the deal with it comment. Everything else, to my recollection, did not have the @ManveerHeir labeled on it and was practically sent out towards his twitter followers & the world. Heir jumped in on him after some of the starter comments he made about always-online (or, online only).

The "dealwithit" was directed towards everyone actually, wasn't tagged with Manveer.

larvi

I cant see how anyone could class him as a scapegoat when no one forced him to tweet what he did.

What pissed off gamers was the crappy attitude that came with them tweets and lets face it, there seems to be alot of devs/pubs that seem to think they can get away with that kind of attitude.

If he is fired, its because he probably broke an NDA and his employment contracts "code of conduct". If he had the discussion without being a twat, he would have still been fired, but the pisstake by gamers wouldn't have happened

Yep, I work for a very large corporation and I'm constantly having to take business conduct guideline training and this guy is pretty much a text case for what not to do when using social media. Someone that did that in my company would definitely be subject to disciplinary action including termination.

Top Bottom