• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Barryman

3tqy20.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GameFAQs did a poll today that's relevant to this.

43% say they will not buy a console with always-on requirements. An additional 25% say probably not unless it's REALLY low priced.

So roughly 60% of potential owners in that poll would not buy a always-on console (though a few only if it's really low priced), MS has to be insane if they think a majority of people would stand for it after the backlash and polls saying flat-out NO.

When I was playing Dark Souls on pc I spent like an hour fighting that giant crocodile looking boss, and right after I beat it but before I picked up whatever it dropped, GFWL randomly disconnected and I was staring at the main menu.

43% say they will not buy a console with always-on requirements. An additional 25% say probably not unless it's REALLY low priced.

So roughly 60% of potential owners in that poll would not buy a always-on console (though a few only if it's really low priced), MS has to be insane if they think a majority of people would stand for it after the backlash and polls saying flat-out NO.

They've convinced millions of people to willingly pay for online MP, I think they think they can do the same with an "always online" console.

Ding-Ding

Alot of these companies will have their head in the sand to any such poll, as they either think its not a good sample or they believe PR will overturn the figures.

They have to start to wise up to the fact that every consumer has a line they will not cross. For minor matters, the consumer will hover around that line and maybe pulled back by good PR.

On this occasion though, I think they have completely cocked up. This isn't a hovering over the consumers line, its parking a sports car on it before roaring off into the distance

Takuya

Banned

Only about ~7% said they would get it, all the rest is uncertain. lol

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
How can anyone hate this man?
He is amazing.

Shallow agreement with a popular sentiment is in no way amazing.

For your former question, this is Cliff giving his opinion on a subject without riding the tide of popular sentiment and his 'response' when people point out the flaws in his argument:

NeoGAF already tore up his post. Cliffy showed up in the thread to do some initial drive by trolling. And when posters pointed out the weakness of his argument, he went onto twitter claiming he wasn't going to respond to trolls and threw out some logical fallacies for effect.

edit: Here are the highlights (thread is long)

Adjust your enthusiasm/idolization appropriately.

They've convinced millions of people to willingly pay for online MP, I think they think they can do the same with an "always online" console.

What if the online infrustructure isn't consistently stable in many places? Not even single player can get away with it so they could lose potential system purchases aswell as Live renewals.

In an attempt to dissolve piracy they could end up losing more money that its current stance I.e 360

Gold_Loot

Or this thread should be a valuable lesson...

Unless you know how to handle yourself on Twitter like these guys...

100406kamiya0ispt.jpg

cliffy-b-talks-mass-eg2s0t.jpg

Shut your fucking mouth until your superiors tells you otherwise.

The funiest post of the thread, right here folks *Claps*

That is sarcasm right?

It's time to stop saying "always-on" and start saying "online-only".

It does, but i think you need to go online first to activate it.

You need to go online to activate Steam's offline mode once. You do this to designate that PC as the one computer allowed to go offline and play games. If you have 2 PCs, only 1 is permitted to play Steam games offline. Once you do this process, you don't have to go online anymore to enable offline mode.

Mandoric

Banned
You need to go online to activate Steam's offline mode once. You do this to designate that PC as the one computer allowed to go offline and play games. If you have 2 PCs, only 1 is permitted to play Steam games offline. Once you do this process, you don't have to go online anymore to enable offline mode.

That's not how it works--my laptop can run its Steam games fine even though I'm almost always logged out on it and logged in on my desktop. There's no way for my laptop that's been offline to somehow know my desktop has subsequently logged in.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just fired up Dead Space 3 on PS3 after a long day at work. Right at the main menu I get "Connection Error. Unable to connect to the EA Servers. Please try again later."

If I was playing Dead Space 3 on an online-only console, I would have been unable to play for the rest of the night.

They convinced a lot of gamers to do it when they had the only full-fledged online system, and the only one worth a damn. And by the time the competition caught up to a comparable level, gamers were already locked in, and the memory limits on the PS3 have kept them from fully closing the distance (cross game chat says hello).

The environment has changed since then, and with neither console expected to have backwards compatibility there is literally nothing to keep people from jumping ship to the next gen console of their choice. Everybody wants their own walled garden eco-system, but those walls don't hold up during generational shifts without B.C.

Wubby

Still a pretty big market, though. Hell, based on Media Creates, it's kind of catching up to the other super big players. Or more appropriately, the other regions are being hit hard while Japan is staying consistent and even showing some growth now and then.

They could have problems though if the rumors of Kinect being required are true. Most houses here (including mine) just don't have the space for Kinect to work. There's a minimum distance requirement (2m iirc?) to use Kinect. Unless Kinect II no longer has a minimum distance requirement.

I wouldn't want to be MS right now if they were planning on spending a lot of time extolling the virtues of an always online box at their unveiling.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Or this thread should be a valuable lesson...

Unless you know how to handle yourself on Twitter like these guys...

Shut your fucking mouth until your superiors tells you otherwise.

You're kidding, right? Kamiya acts like a child when Kotaku asks a simple clarification (granted, Kotaku was in the wrong) over their "Platinum doesn't get it" bit. And Cliffy (no offense to Cliffy) isn't the most... "mature" person to take lessons on Twitter from.

I like them both, but come on...

Surely some here managed to follow his twitter account before he set it to private? I'd like to know whether the rumours of his firing are true or not

I know this is probably the wrong thread to post this but I'm becoming so aggravated about this 'all-ways' on line mode and I'm not even the one playing the games. My wife is still trying to push through and play SimCity but about every twenty minutes she gets kicked out of the server. I haven't seen her this mad in a while! I feel like this is a small climpse of things to come.

Roto13

You're kidding, right? Kamiya acts like a child when Kotaku asks a simple clarification (granted, Kotaku was in the wrong) over their "Platinum doesn't get it" bit. And Cliffy (no offense to Cliffy) isn't the most... "mature" person to take lessons on Twitter from.

I like them both, but come on...

"Do you eat shit?" was absolutely, without a doubt, the most perfect answer anyone could have given.

And he still has a job, so he's doing something right. Or at least not terribly wrong.

Log4Girlz

Don't you guys go to a park or beach or something when your internet connection goes down? Who'd want to play games in that situation?

Foetoid

Neo Member
Lol its bad enough the Ps4 is basing its next-gen intuitiveness with its internet capabilities, but now this? Maybe he should step foot outside the US? Internet speeds in Australia are abhorrently low, our ISPs are worse than the US ones, and almost everyone has monthly download limits of 20gb or less. These two consoles are really going to be unkind to the entirety of Australia.

On a side note, i have a Wii U and love it. Isnt it funny how MS are making internet mandatory while Nintendo are making the TV itself optional. Lol

Slygmous

Don't you guys go to a park or beach or something when your internet connection goes down? Who'd want to play games in that situation?

Playing games offline feels strangely liberating.
Also my internet is acting up now and the weather is awful today, I'm not going outside.

Persona86

Banned

People can go to the park or beach any time, usually when your on the internet it's when your planning to relax at home, so playing video games or watching TV/Movies is a good alternative.

I wish there was a beach where I live, also it's usually cold and grey here. :(

"Do you eat shit?" was absolutely, without a doubt, the most perfect answer anyone could have given.

And he still has a job, so he's doing something right. Or at least not terribly wrong.

Maybe personal twiiter accounts should be considered personal. and a corporation shouldn't be able to fire you based on what you said on it.

Maybe personal twiiter accounts should be considered personal. and a corporation shouldn't be able to fire you based on what you said on it.

If it was so personal, and should have been taken as such, why was he declaring himself to be Microsoft Creative Director directly on his Twitter profile page? Seems he didn't mind making that public.

Playing games offline feels strangely liberating.
Right there with ya.

To go on a tangent: Part of the reason I don't want co-op in Elder Scrolls games is that when I'm playing solo I can go at my own pace, which sometimes is extremely slow and purposeful, as befits my stealthy thief. I can stop to read through some of the books I come across, ponder my map, or spend 20 minutes brewing potions, fiddling with my equipment or haggling with various merchants. When you add co-op you'd only end up ditching so many of my favorite gaming moments, and making everything a faster paced, run-through experience.

I love co-op, but the more I play it and versus multiplayer, the more I appreciate choosing my own pace in a solid single player campaign. And the more I appreciate that, the less I have need for my PC or console to have an active connection.

FStop7

Banned
Would be hilarious (and dumb) if MS still went ahead and made it always-online even after all this.

If they've been planning on doing it then it's probably too late to change now. But the whole definition of what "always connected" really means is still up in the air.

I just wish they'd hurry up and announce it already.

PixelPerfect3

Neo Member
i dont think they care,we are the minority.

I don't know...I think a LOT of people still play games on their consoles without being connected to the Internet.

And Internet connections can be iffy. Imagine you are playing Fallout/Bioshock or whatever, and the console stops you from saving and continuing further if your connection goes out. People will complain a lot. There is a reason Ubisoft removed that DRM too.

And though Diablo/SimCity might be financial successes they will be defined by this stupid always-on thing for a long time.

If they've been planning on doing it then it's probably too late to change now. But the whole definition of what "always connected" really means is still up in the air.

I just wish they'd hurry up and announce it already.
the recent rumor was specific saying that you need to be online to play no matter what.they even said you have 3 minutes if there is connection issues.

I go to the beach and go outside when I want too, strangely enough the same holds true for gaming. Don't know about you, but I dislike being told when to do either.

Top Bottom